• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2017 | What Would Apple Do (WWAD)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Another Case Solved has some great gameplay but god that business model is atrocious.

I was able to ignore it for the most part. When I upgraded my phone I lost my progress so I am going to have to start from scratch when I get around to it again.

Full of Stars just has so many damn ads though.

killercow

I was able to ignore it for the most part. When I upgraded my phone I lost my progress so I am going to have to start from scratch when I get around to it again.

Full of Stars just has so many damn ads though.

I just remembered that you can trick the timers by changing the clock in this one. This really helps.

PittaGAF

Took me a while to get used to it, but Badland makes a good use of the 3D Touch too.
Personally I think the only one title that really benefit from it is Warhammer Freeblade.

TBH I use it only when editing text to move the cursor (press keyboard).
It's a bit of a wasted opportunity so far.

Oynox

Lost Portal is on sale for the lowest price of $1. It's been at least a year since it was as low as that. It recently added a big addon as IAP for $2.

PittaGAF

Lost Portal is on sale for the lowest price of $1. It's been at least a year since it was as low as that. It recently added a big addon as IAP for $2.

Bought it some days ago and I like it and I centrainly recommend it (at any price), even if I wasn't THAT thrilled as many others seem.
It's a very fast premium CCG with a light RPG wrapping (you explore dungeons, encounter NPCs, etc...fights are resolved with a very fast card game in the vein of Magic (but you can directly attack minions). Winning grants you gold and cards that you can add to your deck.

Considering it was made by one person it's impressive and somewhat polished.

To be honest the best game in this class is imho Magic Duels....NOT the multiplayer part, but the free solo multiple campaigns with fixed decks.
I love it (GORGEOUS graphics) even if Wizards of the Coast just dropped the bomb today, saying Amonkhet was the last expansion added...they are moving to their next Magic game.

Of course the complexity level of Duels is orders of magnitude higher than Lost Portal, which can be a plus or a con depending on each own preferences.

Lost Portal is perfect for people curious about the CCG thing and for a dollar it's an absolute steal.

Oynox

To be honest the best game in this class is imho Magic Duels....NOT the multiplayer part, but the free solo multiple campaigns with fixed decks.
I love it (GORGEOUS graphics) even if Wizards of the Coast just dropped the bomb today, saying Amonkhet was the last expansion added...they are moving to their next Magic game.

Of course the complexity level of Duels is orders of magnitude higher than Lost Portal, which can be a plus or a con depending on each own preferences.

Lost Portal is perfect for people curious about the CCG thing and for a dollar it's an absolute steal.

Bought it today because I always wanted to know what the fuss is about. Thanks for the heads up regarding Magic. Did not know that it had a single player portion. Always despised because tend to dislike F2P CCGs.

PittaGAF

Bought it today because I always wanted to know what the fuss is about. Thanks for the heads up regarding Magic. Did not know that it had a single player portion. Always despised because tend to dislike F2P CCGs.

I'm an huge (could be a big understatement) card games fan.
CCG, deckbuilders, LCG, anything.

I hate the f2p shit too, especially when the crowd is too competitive (Heartstone I'm looking at you).
I'm a fan but I have a life.

Lost Portal it's pretty great for a more relaxed (great) take on CCG.

Magic Duels, while being pretty generous with gold giving, suffers from being around for too long (a common problem for CCG games imho....if you aren't there from the start catching up is almost impossibile).
So a newcomer will fight against people with fine tuned decks with cards that he won't ever see, not to mention that building a deck from a pool of hundreds and hundreds of cards is a bit too daunting for the average player.

Magic Duels has a great multi chapter campaign which is a tutorial at first (and a pretty good one, considering can be really difficult) with FIXED DECKS.
You just play the game with pre made decks (different for each chapter, thematically suited to the situation) so you just enjoy the card game and the strategic component without the deck building meta.
Personally I love it.
It's easy at first (I played magic for years tough) then they introduce the new mechanics they introduced in the real life game chapter after chapter.
It's pretty awesome imho.
Chances are you will then want to test multiplayer and build a personal deck....the deck building aids are awesome but it still a daunting task imho and more often than not you will destroyed by the opponent (or not, I may just suck at the game).

PittaGAF

Speaking of cards games.....the next one from TinyTouchTales (card Crawl, Card Thief) is pretty awesome.
Watch this space soon.

awp69

Know it isn't supposed to be that great -- reviews on console and PC were especially savage -- but decided to pick up Submerged since it's on sale for $1.99.

Figured it might be a nice little game to kind of relax to without much of a challenge. And, if not, $2 isn't much to take a chance with.

killercow

Good Lord.... as if my Clash Royale addiction isn't enough

Supercell describes Brawl Stars as a fast-paced multiplayer shooter, seems like it's a TPS with MOBA-like abilities so... Overwatch for mobile?

Multiple heroes, multiple abilities and 4 game modes:

Bounty: Collect stars for your team by eliminating opponents, but be careful not to let them pick you off. The team with the most stars at the end of the match wins!
Smash & Grab: Collect Crystals from the center of the map, while fighting the opposing team. The first team to collect 10 crystals and hold onto them wins.
Heist: Crack the safe protected by the opposing team, or defend your valuables from would-be safecrackers. You have a couple of minutes to determine who leaves with the loot!
Showdown: The rowdiest rumble! 10 players are dropped into a slowly shrinking arena. Can you be the last Brawler standing?

Speaking of cards games.....the next one from TinyTouchTales (card Crawl, Card Thief) is pretty awesome.
Watch this space soon.
This is that alchemy one, right? They've teased/shown it on Twitter before

xHCaqmA.jpg

PittaGAF

Way too much hype now.

:)

This is that alchemy one, right? They've teased/shown it on Twitter before

xHCaqmA.jpg

Yep....on my Twitter you can see some result screens and various challenges both won and lost.

It's a mix between Card Crawl and Onirim, very very good.
The usual incredible polish already....I guess it won't be long till it's avaible on the store.

TinyTouchTales is the king of card games.

awp69

Couple of sales:

Hidden Folks -- $2.99
Dead Age -- $1.99
Star Cat Adventure -- Free
Beat Stomper -- Free

Been on the fence on Dead Age. Sounds like the combat gets dull quickly.

Still waiting on Forma.8!!!

killercow

The latest iPad Pro is insanely good. ProMotion is no marketing bullshit and does make a huge difference in every day use, the CPU/GPU is such a step above the Air 2 and I've noticed some huge improvements in some intensive games like Prison Architect or Titan Quest and the screen's gorgeous. Plus those 4GB of ram can store an astonishing number of apps.

Such a great update and I can't wait for iOS11.

awp69

Don't know much about them but there seems to be a ton of premium games out tonight -- Codex of Victory (TBS), Poly Bridge (3D Bridge Constructor), 4D Toys (physics puzzler) and Lowlander II (Ultima-like).

Also promising looking F2P RPG Castle Cats.

Don't know much about them but there seems to be a ton of premium games out tonight -- Codex of Victory (RTS?), Poly Bridge (3D Bridge Constructor?), 4D Toys (physics puzzler?) and Ultima-esque Lowlander II.

Oh, Poly Bridge got ported! That's a good one

4D Toys is a physics-y toybox that showcases and lets you play around with the fourth-dimensional mechanics that form the basis of the upcoming indie puzzler Miegakure. Not really a game, but it is really unique and interesting

Forma.8 is really good so far. Looks gorgeous and controls quite well

awp69

Didn't realize Castle Cats is more of a clicker with what seems to be the normal freemium trappings. Cute but not for me.

Ketch

Don't know much about them but there seems to be a ton of premium games out tonight -- Codex of Victory (TBS), Poly Bridge (3D Bridge Constructor), 4D Toys (physics puzzler) and Lowlander II (Ultima-like).

Codex of victory looks super cool. Looks more turned base the. Real time, but I'll check it out and give my impressions

Watching Giant Bomb live chat with Rami (Vlambeer) and apparently he had no idea Apple was gonna drop support for 32 bit in iOS 11. When you're a developer and have a popular game on the platform, how is this a thing lol?

he said something like "I woke up to email about 64 bit. tons of it. decided to fire up xcode and see how it is these days" for Ridiculous Fishing. The live chat is still going on.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Watching Giant Bomb live chat with Rami (Vlambeer) and apparently he had no idea Apple was gonna drop support for 32 bit in iOS 11. When you're a developer and have a popular game on the platform, how is this a thing lol?

he said something like "I woke up to email about 64 bit. tons of it. decided to fire up xcode and see how it is these days" for Ridiculous Fishing. The live chat is still going on.

To be fair, Apple haven't explicitly said anything about it until recently. But the writing has been on the wall for a long time, and any developer with successful 32bit apps should have at least been aware and concerned.

To be fair, Apple haven't explicitly said anything about it until recently. But the writing has been on the wall for a long time, and any developer with successful 32bit apps should have at least been aware and concerned.

Its been reported multiple times by mobile gaming sites and if you have a successful game,I assume you keep track of it. Once 10.3 beta hit bigger sites reported with it because the alert changed to future versions of iOS. Anyway thye have till september.

PittaGAF

Downloading forma.8, I'm SO READY for a sci-fi adventure/metroidvania.

Impressions later....at work now :(

EDIT: Well....played just the intro 10 minutes and I'm already in love. Atmosphere is amazing.
Feels like the first time I played Another World.

baconcow

Luckily, he is at least updating Ridiculous Fishing to 64-bit, soon (Source).

Downloading forma.8, I'm SO READY for a sci-fi adventure/metroidvania.

Impressions later....at work now :(

EDIT: Well....played just the intro 10 minutes and I'm already in love. Atmosphere is amazing.
Feels like the first time I played Another World.

Wow, I'm super glad I saw these posts. I googled the game and was surprised that it actually got a Vita release too!

Checking out videos for it and it looks like I'd LOVE it. Only $4 on iOS seems like a great deal (it's $15 on Vita/PS4).

PittaGAF

The latest iPad Pro is insanely good. ProMotion is no marketing bullshit and does make a huge difference in every day use, the CPU/GPU is such a step above the Air 2 and I've noticed some huge improvements in some intensive games like Prison Architect or Titan Quest and the screen's gorgeous. Plus those 4GB of ram can store an astonishing number of apps.

Such a great update and I can't wait for iOS11.

I know benchmarks are what they are, but I was amazed yesterday to see the new iPad beating the top of the line last MacbookPRO 13 with i7 (which is triple the cost) in several ones (and close in everything else).
Just 2 years ago it was unthinkable of.

iOS 11 will narrow the gap even further in 'pro' usability....but for raw power it easily beats a ton of laptops out there.
Which imho is pretty amazing.

PittaGAF

Contrary to my self imposed 'just one game' rule....got two games.

Forma.8 and Framed 2.

Some impressions but the tl:dr version is: get both.

Framed 2: I always liked the original game premise but I always thought it never lived up to expectations or reached its fully potential.
It was a bit repetitive, you could easily brute force everything becoming boring and when things started to move on...it was over.
Not the sequel.
I've already been stuck a lot more in the first stages than in the whole first game...you can't brute force due to clever panel re use and things are MUCH more varied and interesting...and you HAVE to use your brain to solve puzzles.
Also, cutscenes make a much more cinematic game, highly recommended.

forma.8 I'm in love, it's GLORIOUS.
A living alien world between my hands, a mix between Waking Mars, Aquaria and Another World.
Only con is that it doesn't support iCloud sync, and I'm torn between playing on iPad or iPhone.
The probe inertia requires a bit to get used to, but the world sucks you in with an iron grip and doesn't let you go.
Also, seems a MASSIVE game....tons to do, explore, fight.....
Fantastic.

Top Bottom