• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2017 |OT| Let the real Hunger Games begin!

moeman

I'll be studying for STEP 1 during Ramadan and potentially taking the exam on eid (24th). May Allah help me lol. I don't know how I'm going to study for ten hours at a time with no food and water.

Ramadan Kareem

Subscribed to this thread... Hopefully some recipe ideas for Iftar!

In the meantime here are two articles on ideas of what to eat for Suhoor, which will be important for these long, hot days.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/28/easy-ramadan-recipes_n_7625990.html
https://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/foo...roughout-the?utm_term=.vsRPb7KBY3#.cjdPEB6NG9

Note: You can finish the Quran at least once this Ramadan if you break it up to 4 pages per salat.

That is 4 pages, 5 times a day. If you do 4 pages before salat and 4 pages after each day then you would have completed the Quran twice in the month of Ramadan.

AndersK

Great to see an OT for this. I predominantly work with muslims in a local community outreach programme; Somalians and Palestinians mostly. Its been really enlightening and humbling to get to work with people with markedly different cultural heritages than me. (White cultural-christian, heyoooo).

We have a pre-Ramadan send-off celebration tomorrow (due to thur/fri being a local holiday).
I'm told i should expect a really, really quiet month coming up, lol. I hope someone brings Baklava. Subbing to this for more insight.

Qaloon

I'm shifting my work schedule to about 6:30 to 2:30. The past two Ramadan have been brutal working a 9-5, I'm always donezo by 1PM.

NEO0MJ

I feel for you people living in non-muslim countries, having to work both regular hours and regular workloads.

I'll be studying for STEP 1 during Ramadan and potentially taking the exam on eid (24th). May Allah help me lol. I don't know how I'm going to study for ten hours at a time with no food and water.

Can this qualify as a situation where you can break the fast?

bwakh

LOL

is that an hour or two before or after iftar? my modus operandi is just being a pothead but giving Ramadan a reason to stop for 30 days.

For the past 3 years now I've pulled it off but last year right on Eid I blazed it up after work.

Oops. See. Lol.

An hour after but I know non-fasting friends who do it before so they can really go at the food :p

You have better restraint than me if you held out all 30 days. That's very good. :)

We get Eid holidays so you know what was done all day.

Have hydrating foods for Suhoor.

People usually skip Suhoor but that is a important factor in fasting.

Edit: The scholar thing was a minority so I edited it out.

Oops. See. Lol.

An hour after but I know non-fasting friends do it before so they can really go at the food :p

You have better restraint than me if you held out all 30 days. That's very good. :)

We get Eid holidays so you know what was done all day.

here's the thing about that though; we're not supposed to consume anything during our fast, so would you be breaking your fast if you inhaled thc?

Salvadora

Can I ask you guys a question?

I'm travelling to a Muslim country on 27th of June, the day after Eid, and I was wondering whether I would be affected by that.

(in terms of transport, accommodation, shops being closed, etc)

Sch1sm

Can I ask you guys a question?

I'm travelling to a Muslim country on 27th of June, the day after Eid, and I was wondering whether I would be affected by that.

(in terms of transport, accommodation, shops being closed, etc)

It really depends on where you are and the locals. Saudi makes it a 3 day public holiday, for instance, so if Eid were on the 26th, the 27th and 28th would still see most places closed down. The answer is most likely yes.

bwakh

here's the thing about that though; we're not supposed to consume anything during our fast, so would you be breaking your fast if you inhaled thc?

Of course, one's fast would be broken. Didn't believe people could passive smoke thc and get a high until I saw it with my own eyes. Although it was an excessive amount of smoke, dude was totally gone and didn't know.

I stay away in any case when I fast.

Salvadora

It really depends on where you are and the locals. Saudi makes it a 3 day public holiday, for instance, so if Eid were on the 26th, the 27th and 28th would still see most places closed down. The answer is most likely yes.
Ah, thanks man.

has anyone seen the dave chappelle netflix specials? the intro to one of them had the Kaaba in it for like a split second.

chappelle is probably the 2nd most famous Muslim, definitely top 3 with him and Zayn and now Mahershala Ali. RIP Muhammad Ali

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtyCSE-IIBo
Of course, one's fast would be broken. Didn't believe people could passive smoke thc and get a high until I saw it with my own eyes. Although it was an excessive amount of smoke, dude was totally gone and didn't know.

I stay away in any case when I fast.
word well tbt I don't know that many Muslim people that smoke. And those that do are not that religious. Including myself you know my friend was telling me if I hate Ramadan so much why do I do it. Honestly coz I can't bear to know that my parents are doing while I'm not, also God just commanded it and is beyond my comprehension so this is one of those things I'll just do. And therapeutically speaking it also helps me test my self control to not get high if I have the will to fight it.

Anon67

Ah yeah let's do this. First time out of the house and on my own so this year's Ramadan will be a bit special for me!

Yeah, the no coffee is brutal for me, especially the first week. I usually get some headaches the first few days, i start getting into the swing of things by week two though.
Yep this is what kills me. Its not the hunger or thirst but coffee and lack of sleep. I'm going through coffee withdrawal right now. Only had half a cup today. Looking to go to none by Friday.

score01

How does a Muslim in, say, Iceland manages his or her fasting since that up north during the summer the sun could set as late as 10pm and rise as early as 4am?

I'm up in Scotland. Fast times are going to be 02:45 - 21:40 to begin with. As we head to the longest day in the year I could see this go to 02:30 - 22:00. After a couple of days you get used to it. I only go for Taraweeh at the weekends though, I would be too tired for work otherwise.

Toughest part is only having about 4 hours in between where you can do stuff.

Ramadan Kareem everyone. Hope you all have a good one.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I want to try this but when I workout I drink a lot of water and I workout first thing in the morning.

This seems to be the only hard part for me.

If I workout even earlier (5am) and the sun is not up can I drink water during my workout?

bwakh

has anyone seen the dave chappelle netflix specials? the intro to one of them had the Kaaba in it for like a split second.

chappelle is probably the 2nd most famous Muslim, definitely top 3 with him and Zayn and now Mahershala Ali. RIP Muhammad Ali

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtyCSE-IIBoword well tbt I don't know that many Muslim people that smoke. And those that do are not that religious. Including myself you know my friend was telling me if I hate Ramadan so much why do I do it. Honestly coz I can't bear to know that my parents are doing while I'm not, also God just commanded it and is beyond my comprehension so this is one of those things I'll just do. And therapeutically speaking it also helps me test my self control to not get high if I have the will to fight it.

Yep, I saw both the specials and noticed the Kaaba image too. I'd say there are plenty of big name footballers who are muslim as well. Many from France and Belgium.

Hmmm trusting in Allah's commands is all one needs to do whether one understands or not, likes it or not. He knows what's best for you, we don't know jack about anything.

I do it because I like the sense of knowing that I can do these good things for at least 1 month in 12. It makes me proud of myself for a while. Also there are so many little things that are related to Ramadan that have built over time for me. Like staying up late and watching cartoons when I was young, playing video games trying to be as halal in them as I could, staying over at friends after a big iftar until suhoor, even cooking/preparing iftar at times and knowing many people beyond my household are going to taste my terrible cooking when they are starving. It brought me joy and it continues to this day.

moeman

Have hydrating foods for Suhoor.

People usually skip Suhoor but that is a important factor in fasting.

Edit: The scholar thing was a minority so I edited it out.

I have heard it before many times too. Basically the rationale is that suhoor and your deeds throughout the day differentiate fasting from starvation. I'll have to figure something out, but I think the early rise schedule dan do me some good. Might have to miss taraweh during the week though.

Yep, I saw both the specials and noticed the Kaaba image too. I'd say there are plenty of big name footballers who are muslim as well. Many from France and Belgium.

Hmmm trusting in Allah's commands is all one needs to do whether one understands or not, likes it or not. He knows what's best for you, we don't know jack about anything.

I do it because I like the sense of knowing that I can do these good things for at least 1 month in 12. It makes me proud of myself for a while. Also there are so many little things that are related to Ramadan that have built over time for me. Like staying up late and watching cartoons when I was young, playing video games trying to be as halal in them as I could, staying over at friends after a big iftar until suhoor, even cooking/preparing iftar at times and knowing many people beyond my household are going to taste my terrible cooking when they are starving. It brought me joy and it continues to this day.
yeah man it's good that you have that willpower. everybody's got their reasons but it brings all of us together.

I think there's someone on the Chicago Bears that has Muhammad in the name, but he got boo'ed

Ashes

Banned
I want to try this but when I workout I drink a lot of water and I workout first thing in the morning.

This seems to be the only hard part for me.

If I workout even earlier (5am) and the sun is not up can I drink water during my workout?

It depends on how you want to go about it. The diet is only one part. There is the 'mind' side of it too.

Rush_Khan

God willing, this will be the first time I will fast while working. Hope I can get away with sleeping during the day...

bwakh

yeah man it's good that you have that willpower. everybody's got their reasons but it brings all of us together.

I think there's someone on the Chicago Bears that has Muhammad in the name, but he got boo'ed

Yeah, funny how that works. So many different people, just as many reasons.

Lol, ridiculous if true.

"As a secondary goal, fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to thankfulness and appreciation for all of God's bounties. "

Does that really work if you overstuff your face every night? And gods bounties... ugh. It blows my mind people on GAF in a modern era actually do these kind of religious rituals.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
It depends on how you want to go about it. The diet is only one part. There is the 'mind' side of it too.

I am not sure I am not Muslim. I just want to see if I am disciplined enough to do it

THe mind part sounds interesting but I know nothing of it

Jumeira

Banned
"As a secondary goal, fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to thankfulness and appreciation for all of God's bounties. "

Does that really work if you overstuff your face every night? And gods bounties... ugh. It blows my mind people on GAF in a modern era actually do these kind of religious rituals.

It's a reminder, and at least an effort is made to sympathise even if temporary with those less fortunate. It's coming from an altruistic place, that's what's important.

Also, you don't have to be here unless you want to engage sincerely, so no need for the condescension. Cheers

It's a reminder, and at least an effort is made to sympathise even if temporary with those less fortunate. It's coming from an altruistic place, that's what's important.

Also, you don't have to be here unless you want to engage sincerely, so no need for the condescension. Cheers

There is no condescension. Just every year this thread shows up I dont understand young people on GAF take part in it. And this is not me hating on one religion, Im against all equally. But Ill shut up now, the ban hammer is probably already dangling over my head.

bwakh

Only a fool will over-eat at night for obvious health reasons. You are allowed to eat after so you don't die of starvation.

I tried to understand what you were trying to say after that but i'm at a loss.

for those who want to stay hydrated all you need is this:

four-slices-watermelon-in-row.jpg

eat enough during suhoor and I will guarantee you will not feel thirsty at all till iftar

I'm up in Scotland. Fast times are going to be 02:45 - 21:40 to begin with. As we head to the longest day in the year I could see this go to 02:30 - 22:00. After a couple of days you get used to it. I only go for Taraweeh at the weekends though, I would be too tired for work otherwise.

Toughest part is only having about 4 hours in between where you can do stuff.

Ramadan Kareem everyone. Hope you all have a good one.

Holy crap! You're playing in Hardcore mode, man! It's not fair for you so far north compared to Muslims closer to the equator!

Aki-at

Ramadan Kareem everyone!

First fast starts at 3:05am and breaks at 9:04pm give or take a couple of minutes, can't wait. Don't think I'll be able to go to my local mosque for Taraweeh this year, might be a bit too much with my current work time table.

Hope everyone has a fruitful Ramadan!

Looking forward to all the DBZ gifs 💪🏽

There is no condescension. Just every year this thread shows up I dont understand young people on GAF take part in it. And this is not me hating on one religion, Im against all equally. But Ill shut up now, the ban hammer is probably already dangling over my head.

Fasting is very hard so it feels extremely rewarding every time you successfully complete a day. Try doing it for a day or two. I usually have a few non Muslim friends join me on my fasts.

I also dont see whats so controversial about putting yourself into a less fortunate persons shoes. Ramadan is a very humbling time of year.

Only after Maghrib.

:p

I had to study for the Bar exam during Ramadan. It was tough, but honestly i ended up going nocturnal pretty much. I fasted and prayed though, would wake up to pray go back to bed haha. I studied from iftar time all the way till suhoor time. Then back to bed. My test was the day after Eid, so i spent the last few days fixing my sleep cycle.

AudioNoir

Banned
I'm not Muslim, but my coworkers and I work for a small office of physicians who are, and partake every year :) I feel badly for them working so hard during the day on empty stomachs, but I do understand why they're doing it.

Have a very peaceful Ramadan, everyone <3

Sorry GAF isnt a bastion of atheistic principals where people who want to follow some sort of spiritual enlightenment and self reflection are shown the errors of their ways and cast of their shackles.

I'm not Muslim, but my coworkers and I work for a small office of physicians who are, and partake every year :) I feel badly for them working so hard during the day on empty stomachs, but I do understand why they're doing it.

Have a very peaceful Ramadan, everyone <3

My brother who's a surgeon wont fast when he has to perform surgery

why?

LionPride

Banned
I'm not Muslim but I've always thought about fasting during Ramadan for personal reasons. I'm not doing it this year, may do it next year as hopefully my body and mind would be prepared for this, any tips for a noob?

Top Bottom