• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit 48fps first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope these mofos do a public preview or release a 48fps trailer or something. I really want to see what this looks like. Pre-judgement is already beginning.

Except that watching this on a computer could never do it justice. The reactions clearly say that you have to see it for yourself, I posted some comments on the video reaction on Slashfilm with Alex Billington, Peter Sciretta and Frosty, very interesting to watch.

Red

It certainly doesn't impact your enjoyment as much as it does in gaming, but I honestly don't think I'd be miss it. I can only imagine 48fps would be a complete improvement.

There are SO many examples where I've watched a film and the framerate has taken me out of the moment. I'll take that being fixed over a huge leap in CGI or something.

I think it depends on the film. Depends on the content and direction. It's not a "one size fits all" solution. 60fps may technically be superior, for example, but it doesn't often give that cinema kick.

I look at it like I look at fiction vs nonfiction -- in film, books, whatever. One gives a better representation of reality, but that doesn't always make it more interesting to watch or read.

Wonder if the same thing happened with the shift from black&white to color?

Some people preferred black and white, but generally colour was well received.

The thing is, that's hugely noticeable. Go in to any gaming thread and you'll see people who don't recognise the difference between 60fps or 15fps.

Hell, I know people who swear SD doesn't look any better than HD, too.

They're more subtle changes (though still huge - no excuses for people not noticing).

WillyFive

Not a really obscure film, just not my precious Hobbit.

Something like Skyfall maybe.

The best way to get things mainstream is for a big movie to use it. Digital filmmaking replacing film became accepted in part because the Star Wars Prequels all used it and demanded digital projectors to be installed on theaters. Same for 3D and Avatar.

Many people knew it would look like a daytime soap the minute the 48fps news came out, so I'm not surprised at this at all.

It's a shame a filmmaker of Jackson's caliber has fallen for the Cameron-ization of film trend, which is more focused on making tech demos than good films.

The most realistic reactions talk of the fact that it needs some getting used to, and that it looks so real, like you're there, I'm pretty sure that once people are used to it, they won't look back. Getting rid of that fu cking 24 fps motion blur and strobing effect will be a godsend, enough of those blurry pans.

Fixed1979

Many people knew it would look like a daytime soap the minute the 48fps news came out, so I'm not surprised at this at all.

It's a shame a filmmaker of Jackson's caliber has fallen for the Cameron-ization of film trend, which is more focused on making tech demos than good films.

WTF?

See it before you judge it, that's all I'll say and don't bother pulling off some smart comment, you're not giving it a chance smart-ass.

Bravo OP for leading with the only wholly negative comment.

From reading the rest, it seems that the new style is far more compelling. Call me crazy, but I like to take the professional opinions of guys like Peter Jackson and James Cameron over a few internet film "critics."

No, I called what it was going to look like and the initial impressions have confirmed that fear.

You seem to have a preconceived notion and looking to have it proved by someone's else's opinion?

There was some positive opinions you know? Do theirs count?

This is raw footage as well, you know.

I have an open mind about this. I want to see the finished product in the theater and judge there.

Walshicus

The most realistic reactions talk of the fact that it needs some getting used to, and that it looks so real, like you're there, I'm pretty sure that once people are used to it, they won't look back. Getting rid of that fu cking 24 fps motion blur and strobing effect will be a godsend, enough of those blurry pans.

Exactly. Cinema has been held back for decades with 24fps. Time to move on.

Oppo

It is a really fascinating psychological phenomenon, why we tend to "prefer" 24fps for cinematic presentation.

Draconian

So you've seen it then? The entire film? Please do tell us how it was.

Blurry action scenes and judders during camera pans are needed for good filmmaking?
I understand the technical issues with 24fps, but at the same time, I don't want everything looking like a live broadcast. We don't need to wait for the future, we can see it now on TV. Not everything should look like 60 hz that we watch on TV. Think of the shows you watch now, the ones that are 60 hz and the ones that aren't, and do you honestly prefer that every show you watch should be 60 hz?
Why would lower fidelity in anything be preferable?

Grakl

hehe

exactly like a daytime soap, yes

I understand the technical issues with 24fps, but at the same time, I don't want everything looking like a live broadcast. We don't need to wait for the future, we can see it now on TV. Not everything should look like 60 hz that we watch on TV. Think of the shows you watch now, the ones that are 60 hz and the ones that aren't, and do you honestly prefer that every show you watch should be 60 hz?

Igo

Will 3D at 48fps fix the strobing and jitteriness that has plagued almost every 3D film i've seen to date? The only exception has been The Lion King 3D, and while it's the best 3D experience i've had, it wasn't perfect either.

I do really enjoy 3D when all the factors align perfectly, so i'm really hoping the higher fps will address the issues I have.

Fixed1979

It is a really fascinating psychological phenomenon, why we tend to "prefer" 24fps for cinematic presentation.

Is there much more to it then becoming accustomed to it? I would think that if there was some reverse world where 48fps was the norm and then someone suddenly said fuck it were going to 24fps there would be similar reactions of "it doesn't look right".

It always pains and entertains me to read that "soap opera" effect is due framerate.
Crude lighting set/design and camera framing (editing too and even set quality sometimes) are responsible for it.

I love that quote from some dude who sounds like he is having an out of body spiritual experience. Been rocking 60+ FPS in PC gaming forever, welcome to the party Hollywood.

I cant fucking wait to put this movie into my Ocular stems! I want my mind to have a hard time telling me if what I am seeing is real or a film.

I wonder what would happen if you asked a general audience about it after seeing it if they didn't know it was filmed at 48fps. I'd bet the majority wouldn't notice any difference.

Branduil

Will 3D at 48fps fix the strobing and jitteriness that has plagued almost every 3D film i've seen to date? The only exception has been The Lion King 3D, and while it's the best 3D experience i've had, it wasn't perfect either.

I do really enjoy 3D when all the factors align perfectly, so i'm really hoping the higher fps will address the issues I have.

It should.

It always pains and entertains me to read that "soap opera" effect is due framerate.
Crude lighting set/design and camera framing (editing too and even set quality sometimes) are responsible for it.

Why do we assume it's the crude lighting, set design, and camera framing that people are referring to? I'm talking about the same look that is applied to games, soap operas, live news, live events, sports, some sitcoms and so forth.

It's a significant difference. People would notice.

I'm not sure if that's true or not. Some people can't tell the difference between 30 and 60hz in games.

Zona

I look forward to seeing the movie and judging it for myself. I'm not nearly as invested in movies as a medium as some people are so I don't really have any attachment to 24fps as "Cinematic".

*Edit* I'm also a bit perplexed about the absolute judgements being made without having seen it for ones self.

3D needs to go away. Give me 4k+ resolution screens with perfect blacks, color accuracy, gamma, off axis viewing, no DSE, no dithering, no reflections and AR coating. Still a long way to go on 2D PQ.

Red

It's a significant difference. People would notice.

You say that, but consider the amount of people even on GAF who can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps in gaming, where it directly affects their input. I think I've even seen people say it's tough to tell the difference between SD and HD resolutions.

Muffdraul

There's no denying it seems odd at first. Once you adjust to it you'll wonder how in the hell people were satisfied with 24 fps for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom