• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata: Nintendo 2013 R&D Preview [Large Scale Restructure, New Miyamoto Team]

Datschge

nintendo was able to save the 3ds from a vita-like fate, and they managed to turn the ds around, but the ds in particular had a vision behind it supported by some very unique and easy to understand software. it didn't hurt that the ds lite basically served as a launch for the ds as we know it- i don't know if nintendo will be able to slim down the wii u in the future.

The bad thing about Nintendo is that their visions clearly are on a project/game/problem basis so far. I'm sure they strike gold with some games again, but the importance of a coherent overarching vision for a system that needs to be continually nurtured still doesn't seem familiar to them. Maybe next gen then.

The same guy that started the whole processor speed meltdown later said that the cpu works different and is on par with 360. Don't have a link though.

Really all i remember from that thread is that WiiU cpu was equal to only 1 of the 360's 3 cores. Don't have a link though.

Maybe I should clarify: they gained mindshare THEN squandered it in almost every one of those sectors.

They had a moment with the Wii/DS (2007-2009) where they controlled the narrative. Their systems were healthy, their software sales (and even select third-parties) were healthy, and MS/Sony were trying to be them. But they lost the plot toward the tail-end of that period in terms of corporate strategy and failed to capitalize on their advantages. We had software droughts, third-party support really collapsed, and people moved on to smartphones/tablets.

You see that in mainstream media coverage of their system launches, in enthusiast coverage of their games, and even in the divisive way people look back on the Wii (which is far from positive).

I love Nintendo games and think that, in terms of quality-output, the last six years have been one of their better periods, but it's not hard to see that a lot of their current problems stem from the decisions of the Wii/DS era. In the end, I wonder if the massive success of those years will look more like an aberration and the current way things are trending is just the market course-correcting.

They only 2 things they really need to do is

1)Have MORE Nintendo games released(not front loaded in the first 3 years) throughout Wii U's lifetime. For example(just example), Wii Fit U/Pikmin 3/Super Mario 3D U/Monolithsoft this year, Retro new game/Super Smash Bros/Bayonetta 2 in 2014, Wii Sports U/Donkey Kong U/New IP/Zelda U in 2015, Mario Kart/Yoshi Island U/Kirby/Fire Emblem in 2016, StarFox/New IP/New Metroid in 2017. That's 5 years right there for Wii U, not including other IPs and eShop titles.

I left some games off on purpose. I'm beginning to think titles like Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing should stay on handheld systems, especially would avoid the problem of "clones".

2)Get some Western/European development going. Either by coughing up some $$$ for exclusives/multiplatform support, absorbing existing companies, or starting up a new development center themselves. One positive in this area is Retro moving to a bigger studio. I think that's a good sign for Retro going forth.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The one thing that strikes me whenever Nintendo software drought is discussed regarding the last generation, is that Nintendo didn't have any problem, overall, with the DS side of things. They pumped software out for that thing like there was no tomorrow. But that may be the key. The smaller scale of DS software development may have allowed them to do so with the resources they had during those years.

While there have been rumors of sorts about Nintendo expanding, one concrete statement from Nintendo was found in the Iwata Asks for NSMB2 - they made it sound like that game was all but purposefully a training project for young developers being brought on and educated to enter the big leagues. And where it counted, level design, NSMB2 was a good proof of concept for that. It was high quality in terms of what the new guys were being trained for (level creation, course design).

So perhaps Nintendo is, in reality, dramatically expanding their development capacity. Developing large scale console games is difficult while maintaining Nintendo's desired level of quality control and final product polish. Even with the Wii, games like Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword don't just fall off a truck. Regardless of the size of the teams involved in each game, it's also about talent - which experienced staff are available to work on critical aspects of each project. In point of fact, just because we might look on from the outside and believe that Nintendo has enough total staff to make a 3D Mario, Starfox, F-Zero, Metroid, Zelda, and "New AAA IP" at the same time, they might not have a fraction of key talent to make all that within a staggered 2 year dev cycle for various games.

I thought DS had a pretty awful software drought until mid 2005 (on top of a terrible launch lineup)? Wii U seems bursting with good stuff compared to that?

donny2112

In the context that I wrote the statement, it is true. In the context that people are evidently choosing to interpret it, it is not true. It serves me right for assuming context would bridge the gap from my emotive word choice to the obvious intended meaning.

I'm having trouble figuring out any context that would make your statement true. I'm guessing you meant that people's fond memories of the Wii are more likely to make them jump on a Wii successor when the Wii is still an active part of their lives than years later after the Wii is a long-distance thought. However there would absolutely still be people in 2015, 2030 that would remember the Wii, having bought no game system in between or all game systems in between, and buy a system that reminded them of that. People would buy a Dreamcast 2 today, and it's not because they've been playing all the SEGA systems since Dreamcast and really want the new system. Now obviously the people who would buy a Dreamcast 2 almost on name alone dwindles more each year from when it was an actively relevant console, but to say "exactly no one" would be doing the same for a Wii 2/U if they put the system up 6 years before is literally incorrect. Maybe you just meant it as an hyperbole instead of a literal statement, though?

leroidys

I thought DS had a pretty awful software drought until mid 2005 (on top of a terrible launch lineup)? Wii U seems bursting with good stuff compared to that?

Yup. Vita also had an amazing first year of software in comparison. Nobody gives a shit though, they already have their narrative.

moulels

I just stumbled upon some pics from the construction of the new building. Apparently they were taken earlier this month.

jB5c0Yi0K4H3P.jpg

jbcSewDojZPuS4.jpg

http://blogtendo.com/nuevo-edificio-nintendo/

I thought it would be finished by now :eek:

AntMurda

I just stumbled upon some pics from the construction of the new building. Apparently they were taken earlier this month.

http://blogtendo.com/nuevo-edificio-nintendo/

I thought it would be finished by now :eek:

When were those pictures taken? The Japanese bit earlier this year mentioned 2.16.13 as the move in date.

Yeah Nintendo would have 3 buildings with internal R&D in Kyoto and one in Tokyo. Then an additional Tokyo building for Pokemon development.

Darryl

Banned
yeah we're not gonna see the fruits of that building for another 3-4 years at least.

yea probably at least a year until everyone is situated and then 18-24 months per first round of titles (assuming these guys aren't just transferring current projects in). so they'll be hitting at about the 3.5 year mark of the Wii U which would be about the prime for it.

Top Bottom