• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

I'm moving to Japan in a month, gonna live there for 7 months.

Anything I need to know? I'm going in completely blind, so any tips are welcome!

Aizo

Banned
I'm moving to Japan in a month, gonna live there for 7 months.

Anything I need to know? I'm going in completely blind, so any tips are welcome!
Where in Japan are you moving to? Hopefully you know some Japanese? If not, I'd say you should definitely put some study time in before you arrive. It will improve your life.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How do you all buy your gaijin games here? Digitally?

KtSlime

Why the heck would you go into somewhere you're going to live for more than half a year completely blind?

I've never understood people who do this. I've known a number of people who would come here on a work vacation visa to work at eikaiwa and never bothered learning any Japanese. I have a fairly high level of Japanese proficiency and still find some times to be more trying than I care for. The people coming in blind are way bolder than me, I guess.

Fisico

I was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago
Danganronpa V3 will be released soon!

There's the option of picking the cheaper option of where I come from and asking friend/family to ship it back to Japan which should cost around 5-8€ in shipping.
Though I'm not sure if custom tax will apply or not, I had a memory card sent to me one month ago and there wasn't any problem but that was in a small package.

Otherwise one of the Trader in Akihabara seems to have the latest western games released, mostly american though and maybe a bit expensive, there are a lot of 3rd party seller on Amazon.co.jp as well and I'm not in a hurry so I'm waiting to see what will be the best option.
If there are better options I'm all ears :p

Porcile

I just play my games in Japanese 'cause im fuckin hardcore, mate.

I've never understood people who do this. I've known a number of people who would come here on a work vacation visa to work at eikaiwa and never bothered learning any Japanese. I have a fairly high level of Japanese proficiency and still find some times to be more trying than I care for. The people coming in blind are way bolder than me, I guess.

Came to Japan to work but never visited before. I studied Japanese a bit before coming but didn't know fuck all about the culture or anything like that. Don't really see what the big deal is to be honest. If your company or school or whatever sets up living arrangements for you, then there's barely any legwork involved at all. Not like the majority of western people are coming here to study or work in the middle of a rice field. Living in a big city here is ridiculously easy and if you make local friends, it becomes even easier.

KtSlime

Came to Japan to work but never visited before. I studied Japanese a bit before coming but didn't know fuck all about the culture or anything like that. Don't really see what the big deal is to be honest. If your company or school or whatever sets up living arrangements for you, then there's barely any legwork involved at all. Not like the majority of western people are coming here to study or work in the middle of a rice field. Living in a big city here is ridiculously easy and if you make local friends, it becomes even easier.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has to start somewhere, but I'm talking about people who at best know the words "sushi" and "ariogato" and know nothing beyond "kyoto is old, Fuji is tall, Shibuya is where we should drink" (2 out of 3 ain't bad). And once here they don't try to learn anything. I imagine you knew much more than that when you first got here.

But you are right, I suppose it isn't a big deal if you are letting your experience and lodging be handled by your company, and want to do little more than drink with other foreigners. I however don't understand the appeal of that.

Aizo

Banned
But you are right, I suppose it isn't a big deal if you are letting your experience and lodging be handled by your company, and want to do little more than drink with other foreigners. I however don't understand the appeal of that.
I totally get it for people who are here short term, but the people who have been here for a year or more and can't even read katakana... that's sad. I'd like to think that if I moved to a country I didn't even like, I'd make an effort to learn about their language and culture.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If you can read katakana your life will improve tremendously. Even just buying things like shampoo becomes a hundred times easier.

kubus

I went to a MGS concert a couple weeks ago and Donna Burke performed there. Apparently she's been living in Japan since 1996 but she couldn't really say anything beyond "arigato". I can't imagine living in a country for so long and not learning the language. I don't think I could live like that. Not saying that they're at fault or anything, heck, I respect the hell out of her for being able to cope with that. I sure as hell as couldn't.

I mean, I already start to sweat when they ask me something at the convenience store and I didn't fully understand it.

Aizo

Banned
To me, that level of intentional ignorance is shameful.
Met a guy a couple years ago who has lived here for over 15 years and couldn't read that the sign said トイレ. What the fuck? Like, even if you can't read, you should recognize the whole thing as a symbol representative of a place you go every day. He had his wife do everything.

I totally get it for people who are here short term, but the people who have been here for a year or more and can't even read katakana... that's sad. I'd like to think that if I moved to a country I didn't even like, I'd make an effort to learn about their language and culture.

I mean in those/my defense katakana is like a billion times more difficult than figuring something out in hiragana if you have 0 clue what it is in general no matter what language it is haha. Feel like it takes a ton more of my brain power to decypher katakana most times than any other thing rofl.

I don`t think there is an issue with people moving to a place they know nothing about really, as long as they are not assholes. Some people like to live adventurous or in the case of Japan, some people want to try living in `cooky `omg its soooo weird!`` Japan for fun of it. Get to live abroad for several months without a ton of other worries that come with things like that. Either get to begin learning a new language or learning about a place outside a book as long as they are willing.

Now the people who have live here or anywhere else for x number of years or decade plus that can`t really function or try to really. Thats another thing.

Aizo

Banned
I'm talking about people who move to a new country for 1+ years and have no interest in learning the language or really much about the culture. They can't do anything on their own, and just hang out with other foreigners. There are thousands of those. Sure, do whatever the hell you want, but I just don't get it, personally.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I hate katakana.

I DO HATE katakana.
I don't think I've ever met anyone who actually enjoys reading katakana, foreigner or Japanese.

Completely agreed with being surprised that someone can live here for years and not understand the language. It just sounds so... inconvenient. And even if you're with a partner who can do all the translations for you, what if he/she gets a stroke, has an accident and you have to be super quick about getting help? Sounds like a nightmare.

jengo

I scored the US version of No Man's Sky (PS4) for cheap on Mercari. I'd check there and Yahoo Auctions (Amazon as well, but I usually have trust issues with 3rd parties there).

I've found sellers on auction sites end up having to sell US games for cheap cause of demand.

I mean in those/my defense katakana is like a billion times more difficult than figuring something out in hiragana if you have 0 clue what it is in general no matter what language it is haha.

?

I don't get what this sentence is saying, but for foreigners who can't speak Japanese, katakana is obviously much easier to read than hiragana.

Indeed. And I'm not just talking about languages, I'm talking about knowing customs, culture, cuisine and just basic things to do. It maximizes your experience. Be a traveler, not a tourist. And don't miss out on things that you'll regret later.

I went to study in China this summer. My classmates were all really good people, I love them, but I'm still so surprised at how little most of them prepared. Most of them didn't even know how to say "thank you" in Chinese, and most of them didn't do any research on things to do during their stay in Shanghai. "What are you doing this afternoon?", "What do you recommend?", "Can I tag along for this thing?". It's like people are sheep incapable of taking their own initiative. I don't really mind it myself, I just feel bad for them because they're going to miss out on things. Also, probably 90% of them didn't even know that you're not supposed to tip in China. It just creates awkward situations when you can't even fathom the basics.

Porcile

?

I don't get what this sentence is saying, but for foreigners who can't speak Japanese, katakana is obviously much easier to read than hiragana.

Guess he means words like アルバイト, コンセント, シール, ペラペラ, チャック etc which are words you wouldn't necessarily understand from just reading. Anyway, katakana is easy to read but a bloody pain in the arse to spell words correctly.

Guess he means words like アルバイト, コンセント, シール, ペラペラ, チャック etc which are words you wouldn't necessarily understand from just reading. Anyway, katakana is easy to read but a bloody pain in the arse to spell words correctly.

Sure? But I still don't get it. If you don't have much of a Japanese vocabulary, katakana is still hell of a lot easier to read than hiragana.

Also as a tourist you're never really concerned with how to spell words.

Kaworu

Sure? But I still don't get it. If you don't have much of a Japanese vocabulary, katakana is still hell of a lot easier to read than hiragana.

Easier to understand absolutely but it's not easier to decipher the symbols themselves.

Who likes saying creme brûlée in Japanese? Nobody.

Is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. They are simple enough to add to basics of the language but sometimes I come across some katakana and have no idea what its supposed to be in my case and have to stop and think about it so to speak before I have that "aha" moment. If at all in some drink cases haha.

Aizo

Banned
クレームブリュレ
I remember seeing that at a bakery when studying abroad. I was scared to say it. It's hard to say the first time.

Fisico

クレームブリュレ
I remember seeing that at a bakery when studying abroad. I was scared to say it. It's hard to say the first time.

Well if you know french it's an easy one to decipher:p
クレームブルレ would have been better but oh well.

Aizo

Banned
Well if you know french it's an easy one to decipher:p
クレームブルレ would have been better but oh well.
It's not hard to decipher. It's hard to say well the first time. At least it was for me. Felt like a bit of a tongue twister.

Do we need to post inane mnemonics for remembering which is which among シ ツ ソ andン?

Seriously, there is nothing innately more difficult about katakana, it's just used less so you don't see it as often. If you read a lot of stuff which uses it it'll settle itself eventually. Or you could spend an afternoon reviewing that shit. There's no way that it's harder for you to figure out what ワンダーウーマン is than it is for you to deduce the difference between "hiragana words" like はなばなしい and はなはだしい

Or just whine about it on the internet seeking commiseration on the notion that katakana is just so damn difficult I guess.

Aizo

Banned
It isn't that it's hard. It is awkward to say words you can easily pronounce in your native tongue, yes. When I have to think... "Ah, how do I say that again?" I often times wish the native Japanese words were always the more common ones so I don't have to say these kind of things and feel like the nuance is different.

But usually it's saying state, city, country, and foreign celebrity names that has me second guessing myself a lot.

All I know is, after having been to China, I really appreciate how many anglicisms there are in Japan (whereas in China there are pretty much none). Pasta, wine, handsome, elevator, bottle, knife -- the list of Japanese words that are pretty much the same as the English counterpart is huge, which is why it's so nice for me to see katakana.

KtSlime

It isn't that it's hard. It is awkward to say words you can easily pronounce in your native tongue, yes. When I have to think... "Ah, how do I say that again?" I often times wish the native Japanese words were always the more common ones so I don't have to say these kind of things and feel like the nuance is different.

But usually it's saying state, city, country, and foreign celebrity names that has me second guessing myself a lot.

I get you, I grew up on the KAR-muhl side of the US, so I have to constantly double think whenever I order something with キャラメル.

LonelyGreyWolf: Reading katakana is super handy, and while I agree with Aizo that it can be a bit inconvenient to have to convert native words to katakana, サンドイッチ is far easier than reading and saying 三明治.

TheSporkWithin: All those characters are in my name, I never have to think about them they become second nature with a bit of practice.

KtSlime

...Do we have the same name? I also have all of them.

First and last name. Actually there is a comedian here who shares my first name, and whenever I introduce myself he often gets brought up. Fortunately it is a common enough name that most people know the proper kanadukai. However the person who issued my card at my local clinic got it wrong.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Anyone watching season 3 of twin peaks? I ask because I'm caught up with a PS Vue showtime trial, but I'm going to miss the finale when I go to Japan tomorrow. Anyone know of a place I can stream it?

Aizo

Banned
Anyone watching season 3 of twin peaks? I ask because I'm caught up with a PS Vue showtime trial, but I'm going to miss the finale when I go to Japan tomorrow. Anyone know of a place I can stream it?
I stream it through xfinity with a VPN...

Aizo

Banned
Have no idea why I didn't think of that. Also didn't find out until now that I can use vue on my laptop. Now just gotta get a good VPN. Any suggestions?
I'm really not the guy for that. I just use Private Internet Access. I know there are better ones.

Nothing like going to a restaurant where the entire menu is written in Italian in Katakana.

I mean, like, should they write it in English in katakana? (What would that even be?) Just write it in straight Italian and leave the poor Japanese customers to figure out how to pronounce "casarecce" and "acini di pepe"? (かされっけ? あきに・ぢ・ぺぺ?) ((honestly the Italian sounds map better to katakana than English ones do, aside from some exceptions like 'c'))

Or do you mean things like アラカルト instead of 一品料理? I still don't see anything unreasonable there, but that's me.

Fisico

Otherwise one of the Trader in Akihabara seems to have the latest western games released, mostly american though and maybe a bit expensive,

So to quote myself, I checked today and Trader had Yakuza Kiwami at 4.500yens for example, Pillars of Eternity was there too.
They only have US release though, no PAL games.

KtSlime

So to quote myself, I checked today and Trader had Yakuza Kiwami at 4.500yens for example, Pillars of Eternity was there too.
They only have US release though, no PAL games.

On the 3rd floor of the Nakano Broadway there is a game shop called Game Station, they had quite a few foreign games there in their foreign game corner last time I looked. But I don't really look for import games so I don't know about PAL games.

Let me clarify my last post.

Where in Japan are you moving to? Hopefully you know some Japanese? If not, I'd say you should definitely put some study time in before you arrive. It will improve your life.
Tsukuba.

Yes I can read hiragana and katakana but my vocabulary is weak. I can recognize some kanjis too. And I can speak and understand a little bit as well.

I have enough to survive, but I'm going to continue to study and learn more. Especially now that I'm moving to Japan temporarily. I definitely want to improve my Japanese and make lots of Japanese friends. They better not shy away from me! (my friends joke I'm going to be deported)

Which visa will you have?
Any idea what paper work you'll need to do?
Student. I do want to get the permission to have a part time job though. They said I should apply for it at the Narita Airport, when I get my residence card there.

Finding a job will be another story haha.

Why the heck would you go into somewhere you're going to live for more than half a year completely blind?
As I mentioned I do know some things about Japan.

I'm more interested in everyday life tips.

One thing I'm really worried about is food and eating. I'm used to eat every 3-4 hours but I don't know how to cook and I'll be all by myself in Japan. My mom and my grandma won't be there to cook for me. A mess.

I imagine that eating at restaurants everyday will be very expensive too. So really I'm gonna need to learn how to cook. Lord give me strength.

Last year I was living in the US and it was hell. I lost so much weight. I'm not prepared.

Just yesterday I asked my mom to buy me some pans gshsjabdskks. I'm bringing some with me to Japan. Judge me.

I joke but this is very serious.

Top Bottom