• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Dresden

Not a day-one purchase for me, but I'll probably pick it up once there's a sale for it.
The New York Times best-selling author is beloved for series like The Dark Elf Trilogy, Paths of Darkness, The Hunter’s Blades Trilogy, and The Cleric Quintet. He has written 40 novels which have sold over 15 million copies worldwide, largely because of his unique ability to weave rich characters and relationships in a fantasy genre that is traditionally thin on character development.
lol

I was saying it was a good game before the PR stuff blew up /hipsterglassesoff

How can it be that if you buy the game on steam, no monies goes to EA? I don't understand this, they gave financial support to the devs whilst the game was being made how is it that they don't get any back from the sales on steam?

Am I missing something?

Klyka

Banned

How can it be that if you buy the game on steam, no monies goes to EA? I don't understand this, they gave financial support to the devs whilst the game was being made how is it that they don't get any back from the sales on steam?

Am I missing something?

You give money to Valve instead!

erragal

Preordered on Steam and waiting. I'm going pure rogue but might respec later and change it to Rogue/Mage later on in the game.

Don't see any reason that pure rogue (or pure of any of the classes for that matter) won't be completely viable. The Destiny bonus for the pure classes are very substantial and final tier talents are strong as well. Hybrids are popular as much for thematic purposes as they are raw power.

ReaperXL7

Am I missing something?

Made their own deal and self-published on steam because of the requests from the community.

linko9

If I pre-order on steam do I get the pre-order bonuses (sorry if it's already been asked)? I'm torn because it's 15% off on amazon, but if I can get the pre-order bonuses on the steam version, I'll just get that.

donarumo

Neo Member
I can not wait for this game!

But I'm not choosing a destiny card for my avatar as my avatar is destiny sufficient.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If I pre-order on steam do I get the pre-order bonuses (sorry if it's already been asked)? I'm torn because it's 15% off on amazon, but if I can get the pre-order bonuses on the steam version, I'll just get that.

Afaik, the only preorder items on Steam are the TF2 hats.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Every RPG fan should buy this wonderful game. So good<3

Irnbru

Woo! took the
319143_291993634155537_136188433069392_983539_2064785151_n.png
Crusader, since Im going to a Champ build :) Very awesome demo, can't wait for the full game!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I got that from the OP! What about the support EA gave them during production?

I assume EA expects a decent return on investment via Origin and retail. I'm buying the PC version at retail, because I'm an old fuddy-duddy that enjoys owning discs.

shaowebb

This one goes out to Gehrig38. Day one sold. My brother introduced me to this title and I had no idea about it since I had nearly given up on Western RPG's since the combat had never been able to keep me going. Due to this I just stopped following that corner of the industry. Then out of nowhere he shows up and tells me about your studio, which as an animator about to graduate more than perked my interest given the pedigree and philosophy of the company.

Then he mentioned that it was a Western RPG dedicated to changing some staples and starting new traditions. Combat with combos, dumping XP into multiple areas to try other skills not being punished, ability to change classes, and the insane length. I tried the demo and was hooked. I then proceeded to play through that demo 4 more times, and I'm looking at finishing it a 6th time between classes.

You not only sold me on a game, but on a studio that has the integrity to do all they can to fulfill their promises to the fans and openly discuss any shortcomings they feel their product suffered in the delivery of such promises given your own speech on the demo. Expect me to try to find a way to claw my way into that studio of yours someday. Even if I don't make the cut I just wanted to say thanks for putting this much into your product, and for working hard to deliver to us the kind of RPG we've always hoped for in terms of gameplay and content.

The industry is lucky to have gained your studio.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
It's not often I buy games day 1 these days. With prices on games dropping to $40 and $30 in a matter of a few months. It seems like a waste of money to buy games near release.

Yet here I am, anxiously awaiting for this game on release date. In part to show support for an up and coming studio that's been really involved with the community. Also to do my part that games like this keep getting made.

Day 1 can't come soon enough!

thetrin

The only reason I would want to avoid the EA versions is to avoid the EA login stuff.

My guess is that you still have to log into Origin when you start up the game in Steam. That's just a guess, though.

Irnbru

I'm feeling the Champion as well. I like the idea of a warrior who can blink around everywhere.

Pretty much, plus the damage you soak you get back as mana, Greatswords+Chakrams. Pretty much my favorite combo in the demo

Here's my build

http://amalurfoundry.com/calculator...000000000000000000&30061605564503105030500000

Its basically, quake or chain lightning to stun, mark of flame with the 60% bonus damage=win, plus I don't need harpoon since I have that in elemental rage

scy

It really is a shame that Steam gets nothing to sweeten the pot with (besides hats) but oh well. Them's the breaks sometimes, I guess.

Im_Special

This is an option in the demo, so I'd expect that the full game supports it.

That's good to hear, I can't stand when modern games don't do this, I'm pretty much glued to mIRC for work and friends, vent and depending on the type of game I use the web vigorously too, so playing in a window is pretty much a requirement, but when those boarders show it just ruins my immersion : (

oktarb

I traveled the mighty Amazon in search of the lost Kingdom of Amalur. I strange people said the would guide me the final distance but I must offer a tribute of 50 beads and wait until the moon aligned properly on the 7th. I did not have beads but they seemed equally satisfied with my american currency. For now I wait...

I traveled the mighty Amazon in search of the lost Kingdom of Amalur. I strange people said the would guide me the final distance but I must offer a tribute of 50 beads and wait until the moon aligned properly on the 7th. I did not have beads but they seemed equally satisfied with my american currency. For now I wait...
Intriguing...

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!

You sure you weren't at spring break? They probably wanted to see your tits.

If you purchase the game on Steam no money will go to EA as 38 self published Reckoning with Steam due to community requests that it be available.
Say what you want about EA but they funded half the development and all the marketing... millions and millions of dollars spent that NO other publisher was willing to do, according to Curt's big post in the demo thread. I found this statement in your OP to be childish, vindictive, and ill-informed.

Nista

Clearly the problem with this idea is that there aren't enough of these.

Well we could start putting ponies or dino heads on them. lol

Say what you want about EA but they funded half the development and all the marketing... millions and millions of dollars spent that NO other publisher was willing to do, according to Curt's big post in the demo thread. I found this statement in your OP to be childish, vindictive, and ill-informed.

Maybe it could be phrased in a more kindly manner, but that line in the OT is directly focused on the target audience - i.e. GAF. There is a strong undercurrent of hatred against EA and Origin around here, if you missed the online pass thread. Reaper's just trying to head off those complaints at the pass so more people buy this awesome game.

My guess is that you still have to log into Origin when you start up the game in Steam. That's just a guess, though.

Well if that's the case, I'll just get it where ever I can get the best deal but I will be waiting a little while before I check it out, either way.

Top Bottom