• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

Gattuso

Well Assault is on the Cube too, so you'd have to skip that as well I guess.

I didn't even look to see what system that was on, thanks for the heads up. I do have a Wii but its being used for Netflix/Hulu plus until our service for Directv goes back up.
edit: more art
綾鷹 said:
ibgKcmgoHGbFKW.png
廚宅 said:
マサ said:
amd said:
DARK韃可 said:
だべりん said:

Gattuso

I just beat the first game and aside from the framerate I really enjoyed it. I died so many times especially from the bosses and I don't know why but the enemies just seem to really hate slippy he's constantly getting attacked way more than the others. I'm going through 2 now.

The ground state!

Anyway, I can't relate as I haven't finished any SF game. Not even SF3D - sort of fell off that one early on. Too many games calling me...

...on that note, I seem to have activated my collector' streak for Animal Crossing. I need to catalog so many things, but I missed some fauna in June, and I don't know when they'll show up again.

XaosWolf

Animal Crossing was something I was sure was going to dominate things for a while, but then stuff has started coming out that proved me so, so wrong.
I mean, where is there room for Animal Crossing when Pikmin 3 is out?

Where is there room for my job when Pikmin 3 comes out!?

Oh and when we say Star Fox, we're talking about the SNES one, right?

XaosWolf

That is insane! First I've heard of it, that's for sure.

So Damon Hill is a woman in this game? (Besides being a bird, that is)
Either that or unfortunate naming. =/

Gattuso

I've never seen that before. This has been bugging me for a while but what does SD stand for? I know it has something to do with the art and the way everyone looks.

I completed starfox 2 and 64 (only one run though of the game) a few hours ago but was busy. 2 threw me off since I wasn't expecting the gameplay to be so different and the game was a lot shorter than I thought it was going to be.
64 was great, even if I was kinda killing off everything in my path including the rest of the team. Some of the dialogue in the game was pretty funny with a few I wasn't expecting to hear out of the characters. I don't know why but the first level felt really familiar like I've done it before. I like the music for all of the games in the series so far I might have to take a listen to some of them again.
I can't wait to try out the last 2 games I need to play once I can use my Wii again.

WolvenOne

Sup fuzzies.

Been a crazy week, so I've been too busy to re-introduce myself now that I'm no longer a junior member. Gonna keep things brief though, since I'm up way too late. (Darn insomnia.)

Hello, I go by WolvenOne in most places, especially places online where my siblings may end up seeing what I type. Lets just say that, having nerdy gaming siblings is both a blessing and curse.

In exclusively furry venues, I usually go by Anion Edge, and sometimes Anon Edge, which is an early iteration of that nickname. I'm moderately active in the furry community, despite having only attended one con in my life. I do commission art on a regular basis, and even have a piece (or two,) from Strype, and a couple other prominent artists. If anyone is interested, I might be able to privately send people the URL to my gallery where I keep all this, but I'm trying to keep a somewhat low profile in this regard, so a public URL posting is somewhat unlikely.

Socially, I'm actually fairly moderate by most peoples standards, so I guess I'm a bit on the tame side of the fandom, for the most part. Hard to say really, since most peoples definitions on social attitudes vary wildly.

Offline, I'm in my very early thirties and somewhat athletic, though I'm not super lean since I love food a little too much. While I play a wide range or games, the titles I have the most fondness for are older JRPG's from the 16 and 32bit eras. Any title that can recapture the feel of these titles, wins my adoration almost instantly.

Also, I've been getting into FFXIV ARR lately. Don't be surprised if I disappear for awhile once that game launches.

WolvenOne

Hey WolvenOne! Hope we get to see more of ya in the near future!

edit: and congrats on the member status

Thanks, it took months of hard work, blood, sweat, tears, I even had to sign this document given to me by this strange guy with a red suit and curly goatee, but here I am!

I've never seen that before. This has been bugging me for a while but what does SD stand for? I know it has something to do with the art and the way everyone looks.
Super Deformed - think short bodies, big heads, the general chibi aesthetic, that sort of thing.

Also hullo again WolvenOne :)

Gattuso

Super Deformed - think short bodies, big heads, the general chibi aesthetic, that sort of thing.

Also hullo again WolvenOne :)

I would have never guess it was that, thanks.

Welcome back to the thread WolvenOne. I can't help but laugh that I knew some of this already.

I see one of my commissions in the opening post :p

1352535094.tekkirai_tekkipsmall.jpg

I wasn't aware of this group, but this provides an opportunity as well. Since I'm a junior, I can't create a topic, so I hope you can forgive me for putting it up here.

I've been wondering this for a while now. Furry, for most people, is a dirty word. It became pretty much mainstream to piss on it after an episode of CSI were the fandom was put into its current box.

So what I've noticed from this, is that the average Joe now associates the furry fandom with any games, series whatever other media that features anthropomorphic characters.
I consider this an extremely bad thing.

That's not because I view the fandom as something inherently bad, it's mostly that it has gotten a serious stigma on it. When I hear people like Tim Schafer from Doublefine on a podcast saying he doesn't want to play Khajit in Skyrim, because it's a furry and he doesn't want to have anything to do with that, to me it is absolutely, mindbogglingly ridiculous.

Going further on that, we see pretty much anything with anthro characters immediately being labelled as furry. From Solatorobo, to Dust an Elysian Tail, they automatically get stigmatised on social media, Youtube, you name it.

So as a result, I believe it's nearly impossible to have a show, game, whatever with anthropomorphic characters getting popular, UNLESS overly cartoony and injected with a lot of humour such as Spongebob, Regular Show OR if it's an existing franchise from quite a while back such as Sonic.

I was wondering what people think of this and if I'm thinking correctly on this topic at all. I personally find it rather frustrating to see amazing works of art like Solatorobo being put into a box like that, without people ever giving it a proper chance for the quality game that it is. In turn, we're seeing less and less of these sorts of games because they no longer make any money.

WolvenOne

I see one of my commissions in the opening post :p

1352535094.tekkirai_tekkipsmall.jpg

I wasn't aware of this group, but this provides an opportunity as well. Since I'm a junior, I can't create a topic, so I hope you can forgive me for putting it up here.

I've been wondering this for a while now. Furry, for most people, is a dirty word. It became pretty much mainstream to piss on it after an episode of CSI were the fandom was put into its current box.

So what I've noticed from this, is that the average Joe now associates the furry fandom with any games, series whatever other media that features anthropomorphic characters.
I consider this an extremely bad thing.

That's not because I view the fandom as something inherently bad, it's mostly that it has gotten a serious stigma on it. When I hear people like Tim Schafer from Doublefine on a podcast saying he doesn't want to play Khajit in Skyrim, because it's a furry and he doesn't want to have anything to do with that, to me it is absolutely, mindbogglingly ridiculous.

Going further on that, we see pretty much anything with anthro characters immediately being labelled as furry. From Solatorobo, to Dust an Elysian Tail, they automatically get stigmatised on social media, Youtube, you name it.

So as a result, I believe it's nearly impossible to have a show, game, whatever with anthropomorphic characters getting popular, UNLESS overly cartoony and injected with a lot of humour such as Spongebob, Regular Show OR if it's an existing franchise from quite a while back such as Sonic.

I was wondering what people think of this and if I'm thinking correctly on this topic at all. I personally find it rather frustrating to see amazing works of art like Solatorobo being put into a box like that, without people ever giving it a proper chance for the quality game that it is. In turn, we're seeing less and less of these sorts of games because they no longer make any money.

Well, to be fair, the guy that created Dust, does seem to have some connections to the American furry fandom. Solatorobo on the other hand, was stated to be intentionally targeted at the Japanese equivalent of furry fans. Though, my understanding is that furry doesn't quite mean the same thing in Japan.

No... no, that wasn't started with the CSI episode. That image of the fandom has come almost entirely on its own, too.

Believe me, I've been a furry years before that CSI episode. :p

WolvenOne

No... no, that wasn't started with the CSI episode. That image of the fandom has come almost entirely on its own, too.

I blame the MTV documentary myself. If I hadn't already been a furry before watching that, I wouldn't have wanted anything to do with the fandom.

It was, a might fixated.

Well, to be fair, the guy that created Dust, does seem to have some connections to the American furry fandom. Solatorobo on the other hand, was stated to be intentionally targeted at the Japanese equivalent of furry fans. Though, my understanding is that furry doesn't quite mean the same thing in Japan.

Should it matter whether those people are or not though? You rarely see these works being judged just on their merits. They always need to be shoved into that box and there always seem to be some need to apologise for it, like Total Biscuit on his Dust runthrough.

I think I was a while before that aired as well. But wasn't that view of the fandom really popularized by that show then? At least I don't remember it being THIS mainstream back in the day. Now that stigma is absolutely everywhere, you can't escape it at all seemingly.

WolvenOne

Good posters borrow, great posters steal.

You can't dispute that!

I could, but I can think of at least a dozen other more enjoyable things I could do with my time, like getting a root canal done.

In all seriousness, so long as people don't try to pass something off as, "their work," or they try to pass off another persons character as their preferred online identity, it's no big.

Basically, there's a right and wrong way to do these sorts of things.

WolvenOne

Should it matter whether those people are or not though? You rarely see these works being judged just on their merits. They always need to be shoved into that box and there always seem to be some need to apologise for it, like Total Biscuit on his Dust runthrough.

I tend to be a big advocate of, leading by example. So, if you want people to think better of furries, I figure you should be the best furry you can be.

...that last bit sounds familiar somehow.

Anyhow, I tend to figure that, realistically, this is the only thing people can really practically do to reshape peoples perceptions. So it's what I focus on.

XaosWolf

The stigma is still around, but it has died down somewhat on the internet at large.
Sort of super low-brow insults now, and I've noticed people getting sick of it even if they're not furries themselves.

I think "Bronies" are the current trend/easy-target, but most people just shrug and don't give a shit.

YouTube is still YouTube though. =P

WolvenOne

The stigma is still around, but it has died down somewhat on the internet at large.
Sort of super low-brow insults now, and I've noticed people getting sick of it even if they're not furries themselves.

I think "Bronies" are the current trend/easy-target, but most people just shrug and don't give a shit.

YouTube is still YouTube though. =P

I've noticed this.

I personally attribute it to America and other countries becoming more, eh, lets say culturally libertarian. There's more of a, "hey, different strokes for different folks," attitude than there was, even five years ago.

I think I was a while before that aired as well. But wasn't that view of the fandom really popularized by that show then? At least I don't remember it being THIS mainstream back in the day. Now that stigma is absolutely everywhere, you can't escape it at all seemingly.

More people familiarize themselves with the internet, more people stumble over the stuff. The further time goes, the bigger communities grow, at least if they're big ones like the furry fandom.

The CSI episode had hardly any influence on the furry population, if any. A community as big as furries are going to be noticed somewhere down the line, and to be honest, I'm surprised as long as it did that the fandom was taken by the mainstream media and (ab)used.
It might be possible that -some- people learned about furries through that CSI episode, or one of those documentaries, but even without them, the furry fandom would've grown like it has been.

WolvenOne

More people familiarize themselves with the internet, more people stumble over the stuff. The further time goes, the bigger communities grow, at least if they're big ones like the furry fandom.

The CSI episode had hardly any influence on the furry population, if any. A community as big as furries are going to be noticed somewhere down the line, and to be honest, I'm surprised as long as it did that the fandom was taken by the mainstream media and (ab)used.

Plus, you know, intermittent good press and all. Like that Kotaku article a few months back, about a furry convention.

XaosWolf

I've noticed this.

I personally attribute it to America and other countries becoming more, eh, lets say culturally libertarian. There's more of a, "hey, different strokes for different folks," attitude than there was, even five years ago.

Which is a wonderful step in the right direction for literally EVERYONE.
As long as you're not hurting anyone, and aren't doing anything illegal, then by all means do whatever it is you enjoy doing.

And someone will always be doing something far "weirder" anyways.

Plus, you know, intermittent good press and all. Like that Kotaku article a few months back, about a furry convention.

Of course. There's a lot of good articles. Especially the European media seems to be respectful towards the community (the fact most of the press goes through specially trained people helps!). I remember only one German show doing one of those small documentaries that ended up being more negative.

WolvenOne

Which is a wonderful step in the right direction for literally EVERYONE.
As long as you're not hurting anyone, and aren't doing anything illegal, then by all means do whatever it is you enjoy doing.

And someone will always be doing something far "weirder" anyways.

Oh, I agree. Though I do feel inclined to say that, defining a good code of conduct for yourselves, is important. It just, you know, should be applied more to yourself than to others.

Top Bottom