• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

calder

Well that's dumb. Would not be in favor of that change.
Why? That's so much harsher, it would actually work and make it so teams only challenge on totally, obviously blown calls. I think it'd be great, but the league would never have the guts to do it.

PillarEN

Why? That's so much harsher, it would actually work and make it so teams only challenge on totally, obviously blown calls. I think it'd be great, but the league would never have the guts to do it.

I think it should be both. you should lose the challenge/timeout as well. Maybe I'm being too hasty though and the penalty itself would be enough.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Mcphee says he isn't trading any young players, including Schmidt and that presumably means miller as well.

So

Let's embrace another year of hunwick, I guess.

calder

McPhee won't trade Shea Theodore so meh I guess the Jets can look at Brendan Smith for the LHD they desperately need on July 1st.

zroid

Banned
$14M for McJesus is what he should make, but I had my doubts that he would actually hold out for it.

Undoubtedly if offer sheets were actually a thing, then plenty of teams would be willing to make a max salary offer sheet, which is $15M I think.

PillarEN

$14M for McJesus is what he should make, but I had my doubts that he would actually hold out for it.

Undoubtedly if offer sheets were actually a thing, then plenty of teams would be willing to make a max salary offer sheet, which is $15M I think.

Phoenix should pay for Connor. Just for the shitshow it would create.

Chris R

Hmmn, Vegas in the middle of February or at the end of March???

Well.. I finally finished Life is Strange

Fuck the Bay, my punk waifu is more important

yfqWSpG.gif

Crosby + Malkin cap hit is 18.2

"hey Draisatl you ok making 4M we gotta give Connor 14, sorry bud"

Heh yep.

Crosby and Geno took a discount to win.

Yeah financially and even on the ice. But look, NHL players need to get their golf on during the season so they gotta stay so the visiting teams can hit the greens.

Ovechkin should ask to be traded to Vegas. Maybe if he golfs enough during the season he won't be as motivated to make sure he's free to make it to the links so in May.

zroid

Banned
The closest contract comp to McDavid right now is Ovechkin.

Both Sid and Geno took discounts on their current contracts when they signed in 2012 and 2013 respectively (especially Sid). Their cap hits were each around 14.5% of the salary cap when signed.

Ovi's cap hit when signed was 16.82% of the cap, and the equivalent cap hit for McDavid if he signs this summer would be $12,610,000.

Arguably McDavid is better than Ovi since he plays the more valuable position and so he should get more than $13M x 8 years. In the open market he'd likely get the max ($15M x 7 years).

Marvie_3

Banned
The closest contract comp to McDavid right now is Ovechkin.

Both Sid and Geno took discounts on their current contracts when they signed in 2012 and 2013 respectively (especially Sid). Their cap hits were each around 14.5% of the salary cap when signed.

Ovi's cap hit when signed was 16.82% of the cap, and the equivalent cap hit for McDavid if he signs this summer would be $12,610,000.

Arguably McDavid is better than Ovi since he plays the more valuable position and so he should get more than $13M x 8 years. In the open market he'd likely get the max ($15M x 7 years).
Sid didnt take a discount. He has those tiny years at the end to lower the cap hit

zroid

Banned
Bob tweets that EDM looking at 4x4 for Russell

Sid didnt take a discount. He has those tiny years at the end to lower the cap hit

well either way the point stands since you can't do that anymore. so his contract isn't a good comp for McDavid's.

Parch

That's where Chairelli and Katz invite Connor and his agent to dinner and tell him... We can give you 14 or will match any offer, but do you want to win? We'll try our best, but it will be near impossible for any team to win a Stanley Cup when one player is eating that much salary cap. Other players have chosen to take a discount because they want to win, so it's up to you Connor. You want to get paid? Or do you want to win?

I think you invite Wayne Gretzky to that dinner party, just to emphasize the winning importance.

Quick

Banned
Parch's fantasy dinner. Starring Connor "Do you want to win?" McDavid, McDavid's Agent (labelled as "Agent Guy"), Peter "I definitely don't get fleeced" Chiapet, and Daryl "I'll pay you to have sex with me" Katz.

SCENE: KATZ DINING ROOM. EVENING. THE STAGE IS SET, THE FOOD IS SERVED. CONNOR McDAVID IS SEATED AT THE END OF A COMICALLY LONG TABLE WITH HIS AGENT BY HIS SIDE. PETER CHI-CHI-CHI-CHIAPET IS SEATED AT THE OTHER END BY MILLIONAIRE OWNER AND ALLEGED CAVORTER DARYL KATZ. MR. KATZ'S SON IS HEARD SLAMMING THE DOOR SHUT IN THE COMICALLY LARGE MANSION, LOCATED AT THE FANCIEST AREA OF EDMONTON - THE LOCAL GARBAGE DUMP.

SPEAKING TO EACH OTHER VIA TELEPHONE DUE TO THE LENGTH OF THE TABLE:

McDavid: I want $14 million per.

Agent Guy: Yeah, Connor wants $14 million.

Chiapet: That's awfully steep. Let me consult Mr. Katz.

CHIAPET MUTES THE PHONE.

Chiapet: Mr. Katz, Connor would like $14 million.

KATZ SIMPLY WAVES HIS HAND AT ONE OF HIS BUTLERS. SUDDENLY, THE WINDOWS AND DOORS ARE SHUT AND LOCKED.

Katz: Tell him we'll give him $5 million per and to be happy with it.

Chiapet: That's...a large chunk off his asking price, Emperor Rexall.

Katz: He'll have no choice but to choose to accept that salary, my Chiapet.

Chiapet: But why?

Katz: Think about it. He's out in the middle of nowhere with some guys he barely knows. He looks around, what does he see? Nothing but locked doors and this dinner table. ”Oh, there's nowhere for me to run, what am I gonna do, say no?"

Chiapet: Okay...that seems really dark though.

Katz: No, no, it's not dark. You're misunderstanding me.

Chiapet: I think I am.

Katz: Yeah, you are. ‘Cause if Connor said no, then the answer obviously is no. The thing is that he's not gonna say no, he'd never say no...because of the implication.

Chiapet: Now, you said that word ”implication" a couple of times. What implication?

Katz: The implication that things might go wrong for him if he refuses to re-sign with us. Now, not that things are gonna go wrong for him, but he's thinking that they will.

CONNOR LOOKS ACROSS THE TABLE WITH THE COMPLIMENTARY REXALL-BRAND BINOCULARS TO WITNESS WHAT'S BEEN A VERY ODD FEW MINUTES.

Chiapet: But it sounds like he doesn't want to re-sign with us.

Katz: Why aren't you understanding this? He doesn't know whether he wants to re-sign with us. That's not the issue.

Chiapet: Are you going to hurt Connor?

Katz: I'm not gonna hurt him. Why would I ever hurt him? I don't think you're getting this at all.

Chiapet: I'm not getting it.

Katz: God damn.

KATZ SEES CONNOR'S AGENT STARING AT HIM WITH THE REXALL-BRANDED BINOCULARS - PRESENTED BY ROGERS GAMECENTRE LIVE.

Katz: Don't you look at me like that, you certainly wouldn't be in any danger--

Chiapet: So he is in danger--

Katz: No one's in any danger! How can I make that any more clear for you, okay? It's the implication of danger!

SILENCE SETS IN BETWEEN THE TWO GROWN MEN FOR A MOMENT.

Katz: You know what? Let's drop it. Eat your steak and get out of here.

CONNOR IS SITTING WITH HIS SMARTPHONE HIDDEN FROM VIEW. 9-1-1 IS DIALED ON THE SCREEN, AWAITING HIS $14 MILLION AAV-SELF TO PRESS THE CALL BUTTON.

FINALLY, A RESPONSE FROM THE MAN HIMSELF.

Katz: Connor, do you want to keep playing in the NHL?

Connor: Yeah...why?

Katz: We can give you 14 or will match any offer, but do you want to win? We'll try our best, but it will be near impossible for any team to win a Stanley Cup when one player is eating that much salary cap. Other players have chosen to take a discount because they want to win, so it's up to you Connor. You want to get paid? Or do you want to win?

CONNOR SITS AND THINKS IT OVER FOR A MOMENT.

Connor: I'll take $14 million please.

KATZ, READY TO JUMP ACROSS THE TABLE TO KIDNAP HIS HOCKEY TEAM CAPTAIN WAS IMMEDIATELY RESTRAINED BY CHIAPET.

Chiapet: Remember that you can't just threaten people because they didn't sleep with you and take your money!

KATZ CALMS DOWN AND UNLOCKS THE DOORS AND WINDOWS AND PROMPTLY LEAVES. A FLICKER IN HIS EYES APPEAR, AS IF A LIGHTBULB HAD BEEN LIT IN HIS MIND, PRESENTED BY ROGERS SHARE EVERYTHING PLAN.

Katz: We'll discuss this another time.

Chiapet: We'll give you a call to schedule another meeting.

CONNOR GETS A CALL FROM AN UNKNOWN NUMBER. DESPITE HIS RESERVATIONS, HE ANSWERS.

Messier: Connor, it's Mess...

PARCH, WEARING ONE OF THOSE STUPID HALF-AND-HALF JERSEYS - IN THIS CASE, HALF-HABS, HALF-OILERS JERSEY - PUTS THE FINISHING TOUCHES ON MICROSOFT WORD.

"And McDavid signed for $1 Million dollars and won Stanley Cups. The end."

PARCH KISSES THE SCREEN, AND SAVES THE FILE - "FANTASY DINNER" - AND PROMPTLY UPLOADS IT TO FANFICTION.NET.

PARCH MASTURBATES TO HIS WRITING.

Socreges

Banned
Quick! Thank you for that

Because of the implication!

Maybe.

Geno's is 9.5 so it wouldn't be much more

Both still took discounts
Malkin's also takes him to 35. Crosby at 8 years would have taken him to just 33. So yeah, would have been much higher. Cap circumvention was a thing that happened.

And re-signing always comes with a hit compared to free agency. And you have to take into account the team's circumstances if you want to stick around, so no doubt Malkin took a minimal hit.

Parch

If Connor wants 14, Katz will give him 14. Without hesitation.

And in Edmonton there isn't a single human, dog, cat, or any of these fucking rabbits running around here that will argue that Connor McDavid doesn't deserve $14M.

He will be an Oiler, no matter the cost, but it's entirely up to Connor if he wants to provide enough cap space to build a winning team around him.

Looks like Tippett is a buyout of his final 4 years. Sounds like he got pissed about the Smith trade and how Doan got did and wasn't getting on with the new owner.

Again, fuck the Coyotes.

Top Bottom