• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most powerful magic users in fiction

Slayven

I didn't know Giganta's powers were magical. Then again, I don't think I ever questioned where she got them.

A female scienctist trapped in a gorilla body swapped bodies with a female circus strong person that was given powers by a shaman.

That is why we don't talk about WW's villains.

Fun Fact Cheetah gets her power by marrying a south American plant god.

Volimar

A female scienctist trapped in a gorilla body swapped bodies with a female circus strong person that was given powers by a shaman.

Hehe, yeah I went to her wikipedia right after I made my post.

I mean, I guess the penance stare is kind of magical? Not sure I'd classify Ghost Rider as a magic user, though.
Hmm yeah, I'm inclined to ag--
I say it counts. Especially since even without the spirit Johnny can do simple stuff like summon hellfire
Oh, Slayven's got it. Magic user he is, then!

What the

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Are we talking only mortal magic users? Otherwise I'd say someone like Dream or Death of the Endless but they might be beyond magic considering they're embodiment of the primal forces that make up the universe.

Slayven

Books of Magic predates HP by 4 years.

Books of Magic has the best teen titans lineup ever

mystic-youths-the-books-of-magic.jpg

Urza from the old Magic the Gathering stories.

Basically lived 4000 years battling his enemies and even after death, his essence was used to create new worlds.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
I still don't get what the deal was with Harry Potter. He could keep up while fighting Voldemort but none of his spells were all that impressive. Power levels were kinda weird in those movies.
Power levels in HP is fucked up because of love factor

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I only finished the Harry Potter movies last month.... Why are people stating Grindlewald? My memory might be off but I don't remember any crazy feats he has done.

Im very casual when it comes to HP but from the movies I would say. Dumbledore is the most powerful followed by Voldemort.

I still don't get what the deal was with Harry Potter. He could keep up while fighting Voldemort but none of his spells were all that impressive. Power levels were kinda weird in those movies.

Did you see fantastic beasts? He single handily took on dozens of aurors.

Pretty much all other magic I've seen in the franchise is tame in comparison.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Every magical principal in Harry Potter is sloppily defined to the extreme in general.

Time turners and polly-juice potion alone would utterly break apart any kind of rational, coherent universe.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Makes sense.. Plot no jutsu. None of the shit he did on screen was really impressive. Dumbledore was the most powerful from what we saw on screen... Even Voldemort was quite overrated in my opinion lol.

Did you see fantastic beasts? He single handily took on dozens of aurors.
Oh i haven't seen that yet.. Is he the main character in that one? Gotta watch it this weekend if that's the case...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gandalf (LotR)

Grindlewald (Harry Potter)

Aegwynn (WoW, just going off of mages)

This is more in their respective universes than overall because either or them could beat Grindlewald

Dumbledore is easily the most powerful in the Potter-verse. He took down the owner of the Elder Wand, and didn't even break a sweat dueling Voldemort while having to keep Harry safe at the same time.

Rosalina,fucking godess of the mario universe and has the ability to do whatever the hell she wants with time....so long as she doesnt lose her damn power stars

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Makes sense.. Plot no jutsu. None of the shit he did on screen was really impressive. Dumbledore was the most powerful from what we saw on screen... Even Voldemort was quite overrated in my opinion lol.

Oh i haven't seen that yet.. Is he the main character in that one? Gotta watch it this weekend if that's the case...

Don't Google it. Watch it.

Clegg

One of the Marvel characters most likely. There are different scales of power in every series but Marvel stands out I think. Things get ridiculous there.

Icarium from the Malazan series is my favourite though. Not a universe changer like a Marvel character but but can do a lot of damage. In a series about Gods and mages he's the one that nobody wants a piece of.

Slayven

Haha, do you recall these pages from memory, Slaven...or do you type in certain keywords in some enormous comic book archive somewhere?

Actually I was googling Eric and Linda Strass aka Dr;.Fate two and cam across that. Linda is Eric's stepmother and they eventually fell in love. the fate helmet actually aged him up

athwvuT.jpg

What's the context here? Why is the safety off?

It was during World war Hulk when Hulk returned to earth to get vengance on Reed Richards, Strange, Prof X, Black Bolt, and Tony Stark.

The Spirit thought hulk was going to harm innocents so it took over from Johnny. But it eventually judges hulk's vengeance as worthy and left

Cosmic comic story-lines lend you better opportunities to show your feats. There's a lot of mystical beings in all media that never get to show how powerful they are, but in cosmic disputes you have god like beings and wizards that end up battling them like Dr. Fate and Dr. Strange. So in the end it turns out to be a question of "Who defeated the biggest cosmic baddie and made a bigger show out of it?"

RAWi

Negi Springfield or Ialda Baoth (Mahou Sensei Negima), Harry Potter characters can't hold a candle against them.

But, reading this thread, seems like there are waaaaaaay more powerful, ridiculously powerful magic users, haha.

This is a rabbit hole you're never gonna come back from, turn around while you still can.

I'm partial to reality benders myself. This little shit ruined the second season of what was a generally alright first season of anime:

HaruhiSuzumiya.jpg

Cause apparently she can just will whatever she wants into happening or not happening, depending on her mood and subconscious.

*EDIT* Aw shit misread the OP, technically reality bending is also magic no?

If we're going for the dumb meme answer though, it's Tom Bombadil obviously.

I'm also partial to Lady Galadriel.

She could always do that though, even in the first season?

I've heard Classic Strange can fight multiversal entities with enough prep, and is generally seen as a wizard (Sorcerer Supreme), so even if you exclude straight reality warmers he should be near your very top tiers.

Big spoiler for the great series Umineko:
Battler the Golden Sorcerer would definitely also rank highly. Punching the Witch of Miracles is a pretty great conceptual feat.

Top Bottom