• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 shipments in Japan cease today

DR3AM

NakedBig.jpg

ranmafan

Expected it soon since I heard the last rumor about it a few weeks back. Amazing its only now almost 13 years later that its the end here in Japan. I really should get a backup unit just in case, but ironically I just bought a new PS3 to replace my older unit today.

Takao

Banned
The funny thing is Japanese PS2 is getting more new Final Fantasy content in 2013 than both Vita, and Wii U combined.

mgs3salute.jpg

A true hero has earned his rest. Godspeed to you, King of Consoles.

Why are people saying this? Japan != the world, the PS2 still has years left in it elsewhere, especially in poorer countries. It's not dead yet.

I guess this is where that rumour a month or two back originated from, except instead of shutting down manufacturing entirely, it's just stopping shipments to Japan.

Het_Nkik

Famicom: 1983 to 2003 - 20 years
Super Famicom: 1990 to 2003 - 13 years
PS2: 2000 to 2012 - 12 years

I guess third place is impressive. Kind of.

EDIT: Actually SFC is 12 years and 10 months and PS2 is 12 years and 9 months. Missed it by THAT much.

Dat 13+ year console lifecycle.

Holy shit. Wonder when it will get pulled from US/EU? Will probably still continue to sell for a few more years in emerging markets.

Bodes well for PS3's lifecycle once the PS4 releases.

Wow. 13 years is an incredible innings for any games console, let alone one in my lifetime. Really is something.

But I've been waiting for this day to come for a long time. It's time, sadly. No announcement of discontinuation from Europe and the US yet, but this is obviously the start of the lead-in to that announcement. And, stating the obvious as it maybe, three home systems by the end of next year (assuming Orbis is out next holiday) is a bit much, let alone five systems when including PSP and Vita.

That said, lots of happy memories with my PS2. Grand Theft Auto, MGS (being scared shitless thanks to MGS2 Colonel and MGS3 becoming my favorite game ever), Gran Turismo 3 and Zone of the Enders 2. That's just to name a few. When the discontinued announcement comes for Europe and US, I'll be shedding many tears. It defined me in so many ways.

Goodbye, sweet prince. :'(

ohlawd

This is straight up bullshit. They should have discontinued the PS3 before the PS2. The fuck man?

Good run in Japan. RIP :(

Top Bottom