• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volgarr the Viking |OT| RISE, 16-BIT HARDCORE NOSTALGIA!

Grayman

Having fun despite not getting far. The time between crystals seems far but because of this a "run" starts to develop at the opening stages of the check points bringing up the skill level in that area. The game teaches very well. While the speed seems a little slower than I may like its obviously very deliberate and masterfully crafted at what it is doing.

Midou

Tried it out with a Dualshock 3. Controls are fucking great. I love how tight they are. Really happy with how this turned out. :D

Yep, tight controls are only way I can feel deaths aren't cheap, and they are most certainly really good.

I skimmed the thread but didn't see anything, but I assume you get some sort of save when you beat a world at least? I was hoping the crystal check points were something you could return to but I found out that wasn't so, I only wanted to play for a few min but I guess I'll try more next time. I got through the 2nd half of the path to the crystal almost by luck with manoeuvres I didn't think I was good enough to do now I'm afraid to fuck it up next time. :p

I bought this after watching some twitch streams of it. Really really fun, old school, precise controls, and very satisfying. I've only beaten the first level boss, but I love it so far. I think I'm gonna wait until tomorrow so I can redeem my Steam key and get achievements.

duckroll

My training on the DRM-free version so far:

- Can easily beat the first stage, but I can't beat it with the Valkyrie souls, I'm so stupid, I keep messing up when I have a great run.

- Still learning the patterns on the second stage. The crab tanks fuck me up with their projectiles. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Lol. I suck.

Game feels so good. I'm ready for Steam. I'm ready for Achievements. I'm ready for Leaderboards!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Watched a youtube of someone playing it and that seemed way better than the promo vid seemed. I'll get it tomorrow.

Edit: So does this just have blurry and not blurry for image settings? I really liked the filters Hammerwatch offered, even if not as good as some emulators. I wish more retro games had that sort of thing.

Firehead

Oh wow, almost forgot about this game. I remember seeing it a while ago. Gonna have to get on this sometime. Thanks, for the OP, duckroll! By the way, I added you on Steam. :D

Ziophaelin

Watched a youtube of someone playing it and that seemed way better than the promo vid seemed. I'll get it tomorrow.

Edit: So does this just have blurry and not blurry for image settings? I really liked the filters Hammerwatch offered, even if not as good as some emulators. I wish more retro games had that sort of thing.

There are toggle settings for raw pixel (original) and Bilinear Filtering

The feel of the combat is spot on. I love the hit sound. I haven't followed the game much besides knowing that the gentleman the worked on the great combat engines licensed marvel games for DS kickstarted this as well. I expected it to feel more comboy, like those games, but what it does have from that is the very weighty and crunchy feel to the sword swings.

Drinkel

Wow, I got the impression from the Kickstarter that this would be more of a classic beat 'em up-style game but this looks really fun. Will download when I get some time to spare. That skeleton riding gif really sells the game.

Orayn

How is everyone setting up their controls? On my Classic Controller (Wii), I have jump on B, sword on Y, spear on X, roll on A, and zoom out on R.

Tain

I'm looking forward to trying out the 1cc path. I'm drowning in games right now so I'll be getting to this probably after W101 but I'll grab it today anyway.

Beckx

Epic OP.

The instruction manual sold me. Can't wait to get home and download this thing.

Are there any scanline generator programs for PC games? (I know about external hardware solutions & have a Framemeister, but use my PC in a different location & don't want to move the FM back and forth, thus looking for a software solution.) Research says no.

Xater

Man this looks cool.

The problem is that I always feel disappointed that these Adult Swim Games are Windows only.

Cru

I feel like 12 year old me would have dominated this game. Old ass me is struggling. Game is great.

duckroll

I can earn achievements, but I can't seem to view them, because I don't think the achievements page for the game is up yet. Lol.

Orayn

Epic OP.

The instruction manual sold me. Can't wait to get home and download this thing.

Are there any scanline generator programs for PC games? (I know about external hardware solutions & have a Framemeister, but use my PC in a different location & don't want to move the FM back and forth, thus looking for a software solution.) Research says no.

Let's crowdfund an implementation of CRT-Geom for Volgarr!

I was going to wait on a better deal than €10, but I sold a bunch of cards yesterday so I caved in and it was basically "free". Gonna give it a spin now.

I'm sorry I don't mean to troll, but to me it's such a shame how the quality of animation (in parts) is so bad.. and man, those backgrounds. Those fuzzy clouds? Who thought that looked finished?

Is it because I was a spoiled Amiga kid? I'm disappointed as it seems the game was geared towards me, big fan of indie/retro games like Tiny Barbarian. The gameplay still looks fun, but things like the incoherent art style bothers me. I would have preferred solid color/gradient backgrounds to this.. if time/budget was an issue.

Watching the stream.. maybe that is causing the animation to look unfinished. Certain transitions just aren't there.

Here's a shot from Lion Heart on Amiga, from 1993.

72359d1202602526-classic-amiga-pd-games-remade-freeware-downloads-pc-lionheart1.jpg

I want to play this, but I know all the 1 hit deaths are going to make me fucking pissed, so I don't know wether I should buy this.

duckroll

That's a little disappointing. I got a Ghouls n' Ghosts vibe from this and thought you may be able to take a hit or two.

You can take multiple hits. With a full equipment set you can take 3 hits. With only a shield you can take 2 hits. You only get killed in one hit if you're naked.

How about lives/continues? Are they limited?

Unlimited lives/continues on the normal route. There's an alternate path system for expert players where you have limited lives and no continues (you get thrown back on the normal path when you're out of lives).

Hinomura

I'm sorry I don't mean to troll, but to me it's such a shame how the quality of animation (in parts) is so bad.. and man, those backgrounds. Those fuzzy clouds? Who thought that looked finished?

Is it because I was a spoiled Amiga kid? I'm disappointed as it seems the game was geared towards me, big fan of indie/retro games like Tiny Barbarian. The gameplay still looks fun, but things like the incoherent art style bothers me. I would have preferred solid color/gradient backgrounds to this.. if time/budget was an issue.

Watching the stream.. maybe that is causing the animation to look unfinished. Certain transitions just aren't there.

Here's a shot from Lion Heart on Amiga, from 1993.

72359d1202602526-classic-amiga-pd-games-remade-freeware-downloads-pc-lionheart1.jpg

As much as I love everything concerning Amiga, Lion Heart was pretty to look (those colors on screen!) but a bit dull / uninspired to play.

I think you should have a look at Taito's Rastan which clearly is one of the major inspiration this game has: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdOIMkXotw

If I have to nitpick Volgarr (from the amount played 'til now), the soundtrack isn't very memorable and there's no scanlines setting in video options.

Just bought it. I'm ready to have my ass handed to me.

Interesting for potential buyers:
Steam with "discount": 9,99 euro
DRM free version + Steam key, bought through official site: 9,32 euro

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Screw dpads, I'm gonna play this shit with an arcade stick like a real boss.

Top Bottom