• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5: "Dark Cloud 3 is in Sony's control"

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Hmm... I kinda thought they started working on Dark Could 3 already since 1 & 2 were one of the first PS2 classics released on the PS4. Thought that meant Sony kinda showed they are aware of the demand. Real shame they aren't working on it.

Cornbread78

Level 5 should just pull a From Soft and make a multiplatform Demon's Cloud themselves. I bet Namco would publish it in the west.

Umm, just how much global appeal do you think DC has?

Why would Level 5 even make DC3? Even if Sony just went 'go ahead, make it', they have no reason to do it. It wouldn't make as much money as any of their other projects, even a new jRPG console IP.

Yup..

I'd rather have them remix, remaster and rerelease White Knight Chronicles I&II myself, lol.

I just want WKC 3, ok? Ok.

Or even better...

My man!

MikeyMike

Having recently gotten the platinum in Dark Cloud 2, I would love another sequel. Those 120 hours of gameplay never felt dull to me.

Ridley327

Genuine question: what does Dark Cloud do that Ni no Kuni doesn't already hit upon? From a distance, I don't know what would differentiate the two beyond the character designs.

kevin1025

Banned
I hope the PS2 on PS4 numbers, and Level-5 saying this, help make Sony at least consider it. Would love more Dark Cloud.

Rncewind

good gameplay?
84966365.jpg

Genuine question: what does Dark Cloud do that Ni no Kuni doesn't already hit upon? From a distance, I don't know what would differentiate the two beyond the character designs.

Dark Cloud has a mood and environment conpletey unlike NiNoKuni

seriously, the soundtrack alone is unbelievably beautiful and distinct.

Gameplay was all about crafting and engineering things, and you could make little towns and it was about the future/past

kswiston

I have the opposite issue as you, where I have played both Dark Clouds, but not Ni No Kuni.

Anyhow, the Dark cloud games were action rpg games with a heavy focus on gear customization and town/base building.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
DO IT SONY. BRING BACK AN OLDER MAX AND MONICA

For those people saying lvl 5 have no reason to do it but are mentioning WKC or a new IP....lol it would be the exact same regardless

Ninjazombie

Neo Member
I enjoyed Dark Cloud 2. Until I realised those dungeons I had to clear were growing in numbers and I didn't want to sink 100s of hours just clearing them.

And this was when I was a teenager and had loads of spare time.

Playing something like that now in my adult years is impossible.

Fou-Lu

Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2 are two of my favourite PS2 games, maybe two of my favourite games of all time. I absolutely LOVE the gameplay loop. I would be super stoked to see a Dark Cloud 3, but I don't expect it anymore. Maybe I'll have to make a spiritual successor myself!

I enjoyed Dark Cloud 2. Until I realised those dungeons I had to clear were growing in numbers and I didn't want to sink 100s of hours just clearing them.

A lot of those features can definitely be modernized though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's weird since I thought it was mutual disinterest in the IP. Ni No Kuni 2 is now 100% an action RPG and while it probably won't be as deep as Dark Cloud, it will also have town building aspects. The next step could've easily expand on that for NNK since they own the IP and have the far more popular Ghibli aesthetic going there.

Fou-Lu

I know you are just exaggerating, but Dark Cloud 2 is like a 50 hour game.

Vashu

I'd like to add to the list of people who love Dark Cloud. And think of what kind of Dungeon Crawler with awesome animations they can make now.

Plus, more items to really customize your town and make it look unique compared to other people's towns. That'd be amazing.

My wishlist for a DC3:

- More villagers and buildings
- Beautiful random dungeons (less confined)
- Free camera mode to make snapshots of your villages
- Side quests from villagers that will give you more unique customization options
- More than I can think of right now. XD

SkylineRKR

I just want WKC 3, ok? Ok.

Yeah WKC was good. It just wasn't nearly as good looking as the bullshit render. And the first release was only two thirds of the game or so. But I loved going online with a party and grinding those dungeons.

Awesome soundtrack as well.

Ninjazombie

Neo Member
I know you are just exaggerating, but Dark Cloud 2 is like a 50 hour game.

If you rush through it, maybe.

But my point is there was so much busywork. My memory's a bit hazy, but weapons break, there was a golf minigame, pictures to take, fishing and all sorts of other things to do while having to navigate through randomly generated dungeons that eventually looked the same to you.

It was just a tedious game for me after getting to the third stage or something.

boingball

Dark Cloud 3 would be a Day 1 buy for me, so Sony: Do it! For the players!

There was an interview with a Sony manager who indicated that it was a strategic decision to get out of JRPGs but that times had changed and worldwide successes like Persona 5 did show that JRPGs can be successful. So hopefully Sony will revive it's JRPG development (obviously they should Level 5 do Dark Cloud 3).

I still haven't played either of those games. I played the fuck out the Dark Cloud 1 demo. It was timed. I did actually get to play some of Dark Cloud 2. I rented it from Blockbuster, but could never figure out how to get the first boss to show up. I think it was supposed to be a butterfly?

Powwa

I was just thinking of making a thread about Dark Cloud yesterday and if they were ever going to make a sequel. I have no hope for it but I`d love to see the IP revived as the second game is my favourite game of all time. Spent hundreds of hours in high school to finish it. Beautiful combination of dungeon crawling, city building and crafting stuff.

And smh at people asking for Rogue Galaxy 2 rather than DC3. Rogue Galaxy is poor man`s Dark Cloud.

Cincaid

I was just thinking of making a thread about Dark Cloud yesterday and if they were ever going to make a sequel. I have no hope for it but I`d love to see the IP revived as the second game is my favourite game of all time. Spent hundreds of hours in high school to finish it. Beautiful combination of dungeon crawling, city building and crafting stuff.

I can only agree, but at the same time I have no hope that they will ever revive a 15 year old franchise. Hopefully Level-5 can make something similar, with random dungeons, focus on leveling/crafting weapons, city building, and so on, but modernize it and maybe slap a new name on it.

ffvorax

I consider DC 2 one of the most boring and overrated game of all times, I still regret the day I buyed it... (never been able to go too far after the sewers... maybe I gave up too early... or just not my genre)

DC 1 was a little better. but nothing memorable...

BUT

I would be still curious to see how they can improve the formula and make it more appealing nowadays... and I know there is a little fanbase of it, so I still hope for a third installment... (still I think games like DQ:Builders are an evolution of what DC was after all...)

theofficefan99

Honestly I tried replaying both games a couple months ago since I loved them as a kid.

DC1 is a boring chore and DC2's Georama system is the most annoying and stupid filler ever. Once it started making me recruit random people from Palm Brinks I quit immediately. No thanks. Don't pad game length with stupid shit

Also WKC is the worst RPG of last gen don't even get me started on that dog turd.

Jigorath

Banned

Much better gameplay.

I like Ni No Kuni, but I'd take Dark Cloud over it any day.

Top Bottom