• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

OuterLimits

Damn. Just died in permadeath. I got careless and pirates ended my journey.

Started a new game and my beginning planet was already discovered. Lol.

mebizzle

Details? Is there a review? Actual scripted gameplay moments. Well designed levels? Boss battles? What is it?

No? It's a free update for a 2016 game so there aren't reviews yet or maybe at all.

If you're looking for that type of content this isn't the game for you; there are scripted gameplay moments but it is still on the backbone of the procedural generation stuff, its there to be a focus for the preexisting mechanics.

belvedere

Junior Butler
No? It's a free update for a 2016 game so there aren't reviews yet or maybe at all.

If you're looking for that type of content this isn't the game for you; there are scripted gameplay moments but it is still on the backbone of the procedural generation stuff, its there to be a focus for the preexisting mechanics.

But Sean promised Nazi Zombies.

OuterLimits

I usually hate Toxic planets. They tend to be the ugliest to me by far. An ugly mess of green everywhere. However, my new permadeath starter planet(I did not keep playing the already discovered one from a few posts ago) is toxic but isn't green. Pink sky as well. Looks more like a Radiation planet with toxic flora.

Lots of plutonium and emeril everywhere also. Although platinum seems scarce which will make my journey to the ship interesting.

Tumle

My agriculture and story missions are no longer glitched. Warp reactors are now working in technology slots too. Nice!
Are there any benefits to installing tech in the technology slots?
Because on my ship I'll be hard pressed to get the bonus from putting same tech next to each other.. since there isn't enough tech slots

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is the patch up on Steam? I can't wait to get home and play. It's ridiculous how much I was thinking about it this weekend while away.

Worth it though: The best pic we got from yesterday:
grQxmcW.jpg

c0Zm1c

Because on my ship I'll be hard pressed to get the bonus from putting same tech next to each other.. since there isn't enough tech slots

I don't know but my ship has four technology slots all together so I put the three warp reactors in there to make more room in the main storage. It was only after doing that I discovered the glitch so I'm glad they've now fixed it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I mean the only benefit is that you get those basic inventory slots back. Depending on what you count on your ship to be good at it may make more sense to install certain things there or not.

ParityBit

Is the patch up on Steam? I can't wait to get home and play. It's ridiculous how much I was thinking about it this weekend while away.

Worth it though: The best pic we got from yesterday:

Awesome picture man!! I am in NH and with my glasses I think I saw about 60/70% coverage.

I was at Santa's village. Lol. So many people tried to tell me I couldn't see any coverage.

On gameside note, I am at a lake chillin but wanting to play! Even while staring at the mountains!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Patch notes are up: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2017/08/5442/

Fixed issue where player bases were given the name “Unknown Base” rather than a generated name
Fixed S-class ships having incorrect pricing and numbers of slots
Added rockets to starting ship in creative default save game
Added new icon for solo difficulty AI ships
Fixed Albumen Pearl plants using the wrong name on their interaction labels
Fixed the landing marker being visible in some fighter cockpits
Fixed texturing issue seen with some combinations of AMD GPU and drivers
Added and improved audio at the ending of the Atlas path
Added and improved audio for terrain editing
Improved audio for missions
Improvement to vehicle boost timings
Made marker for rare graves stay up for the same time as other object markers
Prevented trees in frozen biomes spawning close to or intersecting buildings
Fixed issue where travelling through the centre of the galaxy could sometimes take you back to the same galaxy
Fixed issue where mission waypoints on the galactic map would not be for your current mission
Improved UI error messages relating to missions on the galactic map
Improved ship speed output on ship HUD
Increased guidance for finding Convergence Cubes as part of the scientist mission
Prevented some tutorials (for example for life support) from being shown in your log
Prevented Artemis being visible in the holohub after they should have left
Protected against some cases where missions can send you to depot which has already been destroyed
Improved binocular scanning for background objects
Prevented binocular scanning flicking between multiple objects
Added ability to scan all building types and fixed their displayed names
Added ability to scan ships
Fixed text truncation on binocular HUD
Added the option to display temperatures in Celcius, Fahrenheit or Kelvin regardless of locale
Fixed display of longer planet names on the discovery page UI
Added ability to cancel in progress missions
Added faction icons on the galactic map
Improved ship handling when booster upgrades are installed
Fixed mission notifications showing an incorrect icon for Electron Vapour
Fixed an issue where portals you’ve returned through could not be updated to a different address
Improved visuals around icons for different inventories
Added joypad and keyboard controls for switching between inventories
Fixed galactic map showing joypad prompts for changing filters when playing on mouse and keyboard
Fixed issue where players could lose the teleport destination they needed to complete the Mind Arc mission
Fixed players getting stuck in an interaction with the armourer if they hadn’t yet built a terminal
Fix for visual artifacts from transparent objects showing through the warp effect
Reduced cases where terrain editing changes are lost when reloading a save
Reduced difficulty of the final armourer mission
Improved low flight mode handling
Fixed crash in string translation when loading certain saves
Added missing scan event icon to the Antimatter tutorial
Fixed terrain editor being built with full charge
Fixed occasional hang in displaying some multi-byte characters
Improved saving and loading of terrain edits
Fixed issue where upgrading from a previous save would cause player bases to be floating or underground
Fixed very occasional crash in rendering
Fixed occasional crash relating to destructible objects
Prevented the interaction camera occasionally triggering at inappropriate times
Fixed the Farmer displaying the wrong text for their final mission
Prevented pinned missions occasionally being deselected on warp
Fixed issue where players could become stuck in the final atlas station
Improved automatically selecting missions from NPCs in your base when they begin
Improved pricing of base building parts in normal mode

Some major changes!

cr0w

Old Member
Found a pretty cool star system with 4 bizarre planets. Built a base on my favorite and took some shots.

F2371F9B471DFF7340B5DA726BB745474B032175

C3ADC1752FE05DE5B95FF6A05F9863D516DABDE7

30A4016A984213E6EF639E24A48D830D2C22D774

EA829E9F89B27F1B9217265FE71451DF34E52E16

F6E68D9FC90456E8ACD0031FC522FF770C0345CA

1F5A6255E63A63DF0E7DBC446565766E6EA8DBB5

cjdunn

How the hell do I get atlas pass v2 &v3?

Don't worry about them too much. It's mostly just rooms with more loot boxes.

I played through the full Atlas Path never finding v2 or v3 via dozens of Operation Centers. Post patch 1.3, Polo give me the blueprints on the 12th visit. They'll give you v3 on the 14th visit.

E92 M3

I hope the patch fixes my Technician quest. Any updates from people that had stuck quests?

Also, did they fix the money exploit at the end of his missions :D?

I read on reddit that low flight got worse. Can't boost and control the ship smoothly anymore.

Is this true?

It's absolutely true (except you can boost). To the point of lagging badly. And if anyone thought the UI could only get better think again, because that's now lagging too. It's time (still) to rip it out and start again.

Patch is probably so big because they changed some sounds, so they would have had to update the whole audio package file.

It's absolutely true (except you can boost). To the point of lagging badly. And if anyone thought the UI could only get better think again, because that's now lagging too. It's time (still) to rip it out and start again.

The UI slowdowns are very strange. It feels like a threading issue to me, as the UI often lags or completely freezes for a few seconds when you open it quickly after doing something like getting out of your ship. That didn't used to happen pre-1.3.

PulseONE

So those new bizarre biomes, do you get them in the first Galaxy? Do they only spawn close to the centre or something?
Outside of the main story I haven't encountered any

Aenima

Added ability to cancel in progress missions

Thank God
Atlas
for that.

I have been pretty good/lucky avoiding any major bugs in my game to the point im still using my save from day 1 and dont had anything major bugged on me, (only thing bugged right now is the Glyphs 16th that dont appear)

So yesterday i was stockpilling a bunch of missions to complete them all at the same time, so i picked up 3 delivery missions, and they ended the 3 bugged. after delivering the items they still dont recognized as delivery complete so they kept me pointing me to diferent location but i do longor had the items to deliver.

Was getting annoying seeing them in my log, but after this update i just whent to a quest giver and canceled the missions (it decreases the rank for that mission faction when u request to cancel it)

So right now only annoyances are a notification that ask me to build a warp reactor to my freighter (even if i already built it) and that glyph #16 that does not appear preventing me to use the portal to teleport to worlds that use that glyph in the adress.

Also a old bug that they still havent fixed is the fact that when u summon ur freighter and if u have some ships already stored there, when u use ur pulse boost in the same solar system the camera shackes wildely. The workaround for this is to leave ur freighter in another solar system, or go to ur base and summon the freighetr there. then u can use ur pulse boost to travel withou the massive shake.

BTW warping with the freighter is insanely good, my ship with the 3 warp reactors upgrades only let me travel a distance of 800 LY, my frieghter with only 2 warp reactor upgrades (sigma and theta) let me warp a distance of 1700 LY, so its great if you just want to get closer to the center of the galaxy just board on the freighter, interact with the globe in the bridge room and just keep warping like crazy.

So those new bizarre biomes, do you get them in the first Galaxy? Do they only spawn close to the centre or something?
Outside of the main story I haven't encountered any
When u see a planet labeled as Forsaken, Abandoned, Lifeless, etc, is probably one of those new exotic biomes. And they appear everywhere thers one in my solar system from my starter planet.

webrunner

"Fixed issue where upgrading from a previous save would cause player bases to be floating or underground"

I wonder.. see, i made my first base ever in 1.33 but when I teleported back to it it was underground. I dug it out, but I wonder if these fixes will unearth it again.

Minamu

Two things:

Welp, final Farmer mordite quest is still broken.

Had something really weird happen with my storage boxes. I had half my inv slots free and tried to move some items from a box and the game kept telling me my inv was full! Then I somehow managed to get it to work and as thanks, the game created a duplicate v3 door pass in the storage and some other items created about 400 nanites for me for free. Reslly weird, tried to abuse it but couldn't get it to work agai . No idea what I did!

Tumle

I don't know but my ship has four technology slots all together so I put the three warp reactors in there to make more room in the main storage. It was only after doing that I discovered the glitch so I'm glad they've now fixed it.
Oh ok.. wel I have to repair some slots first and they are hella expensive.. and there are only 8 slots..
And there is 47 slots of normal space.. so I think I'm going to stick to that for a while😊

GoG requires approval every single time it wants to patch something...

Knew I should have got this on Steam :(

Eww I know I'm in the same boat, I got a copy for myself and my Duaghter on gog, but then steam changed their price to match, I should have refunded and picked it up on steam.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That a big batch of fixes. Third patch in 11 days and the largest so far. Issues obviously remain, but even if nothing in this one actually impacts me so far as I can tell except the inventory-switching controls, they really are working hard.

iosefe

Finally got to play, did a 2-3 hour session

Bought a ship but didnt have resources to fix and things were scarce on the planet. I finally find enough Zinc and I die on the way back to the ship

I was depressed. Might just really a survival again or switch to normal

Cool, scanning an item or resource with your analyzer puts a temporary tag on it. Works for stuff like plutonium and thamium and also treasure chests and the like.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally got to play, did a 2-3 hour session

Bought a ship but didnt have resources to fix and things were scarce on the planet. I finally find enough Zinc and I die on the way back to the ship

I was depressed. Might just really a survival again or switch to normal
Hummm if you bought a ship why did you have to fix it? o_o
Can anyone confirm if the easy crashed ship trick still works?
Assuming you're referring to locking onto them with targeting D-pad left/right, I wouldn't expect them to alter it as it's not really an exploit.

edit: would be great to hear from someone though if they can try it post-patch! I don't want a new ship but I was thinking of starting a side-career as a scavenger since I spend so much time cruising planetary surfaces.
Cool, scanning an item or resource with your analyzer puts a temporary tag on it. Works for stuff like plutonium and thamium and also treasure chests and the like.
uh real talk what do you mean by treasure chests

Assuming you're referring to locking onto them with targeting D-pad left/right, I wouldn't expect them to alter it as it's not really an exploit.

edit: would be great to hear from someone though if they can try it post-patch! I don't want a new ship but I was thinking of starting a side-career as a scavenger since I spend so much time cruising planetary surfaces.

uh real talk what do you mean by treasure chests

The green chests :)

Edit: and targeting crashed ships still works. Just checked.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Hmm, nothing in the patch suggests they've fixed my story progression problem.

Thinking I may need to restart. :\

Where are you? There were at least two Artemis related bugs fixed with the patch. One was keeping me from progressing the story and was fixed.

belvedere

Junior Butler
What is this?

Basically if you spam right on the d-pad while flying around a planet your target system can pick up crashed ships like any other ship. Then you don't have to go through the hassle of finding a transmission tower, solving the puzzle then locating a ship in that fashion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What is this?
You can target ships ("use your targeting computer!") with left-right on the D-pad, and while cruising in-atmosphere this included crashed ships. So you can jaunt around the surface of the planet essentially scanning for them.

Note that any given crashed ship is not necessarily a slot upgrade, a higher tier, a good investment in terms of repairs or even any one of the above, but they often will be and you can at least check them out if you're in the market for a new one but don't want to drop the chunk of change to buy one outright.

webrunner

You can target ships ("use your targeting computer!") with left-right on the D-pad, and while cruising in-atmosphere this included crashed ships. So you can jaunt around the surface of the planet essentially scanning for them.

Note that any given crashed ship is not necessarily a slot upgrade, a higher tier, a good investment in terms of repairs or even any one of the above, but they often will be and you can at least check them out if you're in the market for a new one but don't want to drop the chunk of change to but one outright.

also: crashed ship log computers are a good source of random ship plans.

Patch is probably so big because they changed some sounds, so they would have had to update the whole audio package file.

The UI slowdowns are very strange. It feels like a threading issue to me, as the UI often lags or completely freezes for a few seconds when you open it quickly after doing something like getting out of your ship. That didn't used to happen pre-1.3.

If they changed any files, they changed them with exactly the same size files, because the game file hasn't changed. It's remained unchanged since 1.3.

And I didn't notice it that much at first, but then it seemed to get worse. At least we can switch between inventories easier now. They should just make one page for all storage and one for all tech.

Top Bottom