• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

What do you normally order? RG's? Digged further into Hobbylink...should I be buying my gunpla from here and not Amazon? Can't believe they're actually selling a Shamblo, will never be a model kit though.
i don't normally gunpla, basically have the same tool set as you but just recently got the godhand nippers. i usually get RG's. the guys on macross world a long time ago got me into RG's as there was a group doing it together.

usually i go:
hlj for new stuff that's just announced (i try to buy in groups to save on shipping) amazon is slow getting the new gunpla but look at amazon prime for stuff that's already released since it's usually quicker domestic.

firelogic

i don't normally gunpla, basically have the same tool set as you but just recently got the godhand nippers. i usually get RG's. the guys on macross world a long time ago got me into RG's as there was a group doing it together.

usually i go:
hlj for new stuff that's just announced (i try to buy in groups to save on shipping) amazon is slow getting the new gunpla but look at amazon prime for stuff that's already released since it's usually quicker domestic.

I wish Amazon Canada would sell gunpla kits like in the USA. The only choice I have is 3rd party sellers on Amazon (from Japan) or HLJ. The shops around town hike up the prices to an insane degree.

usually i go:
Ok, so what I think is a large stock of you collection is mainly just a metric fuck ton of Macross valks. You seem to have a lot gunpla, but I guess it's just perception or something. I should try an RG, they're not that expensive, MG's are expensive as fuck though, but I have a feeling I'm going to like the size and detail. Yeah HLJ, doesn't look too bad price wise, but I have a feeling the shipping is going to gank that price severely.

I wish Amazon Canada would sell gunpla kits like in the USA. The only choice I have is 3rd party sellers on Amazon (from Japan) or HLJ. The shops around town hike up the prices to an insane degree.

oh amazon ca don't carry them? damn didn't know that...

oh one place i forgot to mention but haven't been there in a while. don't know if there's one Canada. i heard from several Gundam GAFer's on here barnes and nobles sell gunpla kits. when they have a coupon promotion, i heard it's pretty worth it.

Ok, so what I think is a large stock of you collection is mainly just a metric fuck ton of Macross valks. You seem to have a lot gunpla, but I guess it's just perception or something. I should try an RG, they're not that expensive, MG's are expensive as fuck though, but I have a feeling I'm going to like the size and detail. Yeah HLJ, doesn't look too bad price wise, but I have a feeling the shipping is going to gank that price severely.
yeah, i haven't really posted my macross collection bc it's way too big but i buy way more macross. i'll post a few here and there. the gundam's i posted were a bunch of RG's stacked on my table. my Metal Build collection is growing though, i'm starting to really get into those.

for hlj buy them in groups but even if you buy just one kit it comes out about the same as amazon, HLJ shipping is the lowest out of the import stores that i shop and the kits are priced lower than amazon or gundam planet so it evens out.

HGUC Tristan

qnTxgLx.jpg

Drayco21

I'm digging it a lot more than the grey prototype, it's a nice, clean, classic design- but it does seem a little... too vanilla, I guess? Maybe it'll grow on me watching the anime.

HGUC Tristan
Looks like a hodge podge of other designs, might just be me though.
yeah, i haven't really posted my macross collection bc it's way too big but i buy way more macross. i'll post a few here and there. the gundam's i posted were a bunch of RG's stacked on my table. my Metal Build collection is growing though, i'm starting to really get into those.

for hlj buy them in groups but even if you buy just one kit it comes out about the same as amazon, HLJ shipping is the lowest out of the import stores that i shop and the kits are priced lower than amazon or gundam planet so it evens out.
I usually buy one or two at a time, might have to buy more than that, which would be all kinds of expensive. I have a feeling you've only posted a tiny portion of what you have, which is scary cause I've seen a good amount and now I'm trying to figure out how you store that stuff.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
I cant wait to see the Zaku III in action.

Based on a reddit summary, it sounds like the main characters are Ex Zeon guys who fend off Gundam Tristan with that red Zaku III. That sounds pretty cool.

RangerBAD

Maybe I will appreciate the Tristan more in motion. Not really compelled to buy it in plastic.

Dig the Zaku III though.

I think the model looks cheap, so that might be part of it, but compared to Federation MS from Unicorn, it looks plain in comparison. Will look better animated.

crossposting in ActionGAF:

a liveblog just did an on hand view of the F91,

Holy Shoot! this thing: first time gimmicks ever put on a metal build:
it has a feature that allows changing the face without replacing parts: freaking amazing:

highlights:
Package
Ft0DQyO.jpg

Manual
8pTVsxr.jpg

Body:
The F91 main body has a glossy finish using polycarbonate material for part of the exterior so as to give a texture image of "racing car".
50x06Kw.jpg

VCsYA4a.jpg

TelzSnv.jpg

markings
tampo print:
BPq7HXb.jpg

ltA1XFD.jpg

Details:
F91 comes with 2 heads:
XckAqLw.jpg

1x has removable faces for sculpt accuracy
a53eyCB.jpg

1x that changes face without replacement:
32ysUj0.jpg

heat dissipation radiator fins
f9ZaGB1.jpg

"Etching Parts" which is the first in METAL BUILD is used in the chest intake.
It is different from die casting, it has a sharp metallic texture.
D1R5Uux.jpg

Weapons:
Vesper beam rifle: Each part expands and contracts
0zXOlbO.jpg

8zrILwc.jpg

Beam saber can store two grips in the left side skirt.
A gimmick is built in which the cover slides and makes it easy to take out:
2RFXwQp.jpg

YqoOooy.jpg

1IzdEnK.jpg

k09tus1.jpg

jhKkXR0.jpg

VZeRnSj.jpg

Paltheos

Which are the best MG's from the Wing franchise?

The best and the worst are probably all Wing iterations lol. Proto Zero and Wing TV are both notable for having no trouble holding up their big rifles. Wing TV is also very faithful to the original design, can stand on its own power without a base pretty easily (an insane dream for some of these other kits), and has a neat gunmetal inner frame as opposed to the usual gray. Its biggest fault is that it has some bad nubs but it's otherwise a great kit. On the flip side both the Wing Zero EW and Wing EW/ver.ka can't hold their rifles well at all, and the former has stability issues with its wings too.

Metal Build F91

F91 is awesome. This thing looks like it lives up to all the expectations.

The best and the worst are probably all Wing iterations lol. Proto Zero and Wing TV are both notable for having no trouble holding up their big rifles. Wing TV is also very faithful to the original design, can stand on its own power without a base pretty easily (an insane dream for some of these other kits), and has a neat gunmetal inner frame as opposed to the usual gray. Its biggest fault is that it has some bad nubs but it's otherwise a great kit. On the flip side both the Wing Zero EW and Wing EW/ver.ka can't hold their rifles well at all, and the former has stability issues with its wings too.
God damn, I might probably only want Wing Ver ka from that line, the rest would be the rest not including More Dakka. I Would love an MG Aries, but I don't think that is ever getting a kit.

not gundam related but just wanted share a valk i got in the nail today:
Only 300 pieces were made.
VF-1J Hikaru Weathering Special could only be ordered through a magazine called Hyper Hobby in Japan. HLJ got a few of these Hyber Hobby specials as well as a few other magazine exclusives: Macross Chronicles exclusives: VF-X and the Angel Birds (pictured left) a long time ago.

VF-1J Hikaru Weathering Special

NEO0MJ

Congrats n the pick up, David. Make sure it gets the good spot in the closet XP

The f91 is alright imho. Never gir too attached but it's a solid design.

My favorite f91 moment is from crossbones when Seabook sees one

Same opinion here. It's nice but not $200 nice.

Anybody ever get clear decals dirty while putting them on? Probably as close to done as I'm ever going to get. I really need to do the Nu Ver Ka at some point, funnels will probably drive me insane on that though.
17458127_10155939567637195_141560778890090705_n.jpg

17361499_10155939569017195_6368604540141475201_n.jpg

Saudades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7GJBFpTW8
Thunderbolt episode 5 is on youtube
Also, a preview poster for episode 6:
igo58hP.jpg

Looks like they're already going to cover Volume 6 and the antarctic battle
That's prob gonna be the highlight, with both
Antartica and the Acguy battles
Wonder how they are gonna end this season tho, since Vol 8 & 9 is pretty much
Buddhist territory with little to no fighting at all

That's prob gonna be the highlight, with both
Antartica and the Acguy battles
Wonder how they are gonna end this season tho, since Vol 8 & 9 is pretty much
Buddhist territory with little to no fighting at all

They seem to be rushing through things pretty quickly. The transition between the end of the war/post war seemed a bit too sudden. I hope they still show the scenes of how Io got back into the EFSF because it humanizes him more. In the manga, he's a lot more likable in this arc

casiopao

I had hard time seeing Tristan being any threat in Twilight of Axis lol.

I mean, when the era had seen Unicorn, ZZ and Nu Gundam. What can an upgrade of Alex do lol.^^

Congrats n the pick up, David. Make sure it gets the good spot in the closet XP

Same opinion here. It's nice but not $200 nice.
thanks! i waited about 2 years to snag one. they don't come around anymore =)

F91 is going to be more than 200 though, more like 300-400 nice. there's no pre-orders left.

Anybody ever get clear decals dirty while putting them on? Probably as close to done as I'm ever going to get. I really need to do the Nu Ver Ka at some point, funnels will probably drive me insane on that though.
17458127_10155939567637195_141560778890090705_n.jpg

17361499_10155939569017195_6368604540141475201_n.jpg
looking good =)

Menthuss

How often do HG Gunpla get a MG version down the line? Would seriously consider buying a MG Atlas Gundam (even though I still have like 4 kits I still need to build hah).

EDIT:

alBTQey.png

I have a feeling those thrusters are going to cause some serious balancing issues.

How often do HG Gunpla get a MG version down the line? Would seriously consider buying a MG Atlas Gundam (even though I still have like 4 kits I still need to build hah).

EDIT:

alBTQey.png

I have a feeling those thrusters are going to cause some serious balancing issues.

Yeah, I dunno how that's gonna work as a MG. I think maybe it has a better chance of getting a RE/100, but even then, it's gonna have issues.

muteki

EDIT:

alBTQey.png

I just don't see how that design makes any sense at all lol.

EDIT:

alBTQey.png

That thing is going to require one serious fucking stability update.

Beth Cyra

EDIT:

alBTQey.png

How they went from the second best UC Gundam design in Ultra Magnus to this ugly SEED Trash Knock off I will never understand.

Still the MG Ver Ka will be killer at least.

Beth Cyra

There's no Gundam design in the UC I like that comes chronologically after the Nu.

I'm actually cool with Xi at times but it depends on my mood.

That said I don't care for F91 (though Harrison Colors is better) and Crossbones is just tired with how much they reused that design.

V and V2 have some cool elements but I just don't like either suit.

NEO0MJ

There's no Gundam design in the UC I like that comes chronologically after the Nu.

but...Jesta!

Seriously, this is one of my favorite UC designs ever. I like elite mooks a lot, though the Jesta is supposed to be a Gudam in all but name.

I'm actually cool with Xi at times but it depends on my mood.

That said I don't care for F91 (though Harrison Colors is better) and Crossbones is just tired with how much they reused that design.

V and V2 have so cool elements but I just don't like either suit.

I thought you liked the Delta Plus as well?

Top Bottom