• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.D

Is this a good place to ask for a recommendation?

I'm looking for a new TV show to watch

I don't really have something I look for
I just watch a couple of episodes and if I like it I just keep watching

Shows I like:

True Blood
Dexter (I still need to watch season 5)
How I Met Your Mother
Entourage

Al-ibn Kermit

M.D said:

Shows I like:

True Blood
How I Met Your Mother
Entourage

Breaking Bad is really good if you like dramas.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Powered through 7 seasons of Entourage last weekend and am caught up with season 8. Good fun, Ari and Lloyd are awesome and Johny and Turtle help carry the show.

CiSTM

Banned
Stargate: Atlantis - Eh, what an shitty show, I'm currently on s2 and I really don't know why I keep on watching this shit. Is there any hope of it getting better or am I just waisting my time ? I got the whole series for 30€ but already I feel like I wasted my money :D The characters are just so annoying and/or boring (especially that one guy who visited the OG series, the genius one).

Any recommendations?

I've been watching Mythbusters since it started. Recently discovered Penn&Teller Fool Us and The Buried Life. What other shows fall in the same general category of being...nonfiction...and just having a great central premise that's enough to make me want to watch as many episodes of it as they are going to put out.

There's also Brainiac and Men in White and. There was also a show where people show their inventions to a panel of judges hoping for approval

That kind of show is really hard to define.

:(

Salazar

Started Boardwalk Empire.

Enchanted by Kelly MacDonald. Surprised by Michael Pitt. He can act when not given a woeful script.

zero_suit

Salazar said:
Started Boardwalk Empire.

Enchanted by Kelly MacDonald. Surprised by Michael Pitt. He can act when not given a woeful script.

Awesome show..it really comes into its own near the end of the season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
M.D said:

Shows I like:

True Blood
How I Met Your Mother
Entourage

Try Louie or Wilfred for comedies. Breaking Bad for Drama.

Tucah

you speak so well
M.D said:

Shows I like:

True Blood
How I Met Your Mother
Entourage
Arrested Development
Breaking Bad
Mad Men

The holy trinity.

CozMick

Banned
World's Craziest Fools is simply the funniest shit I have ever seen.

Has me in tears every damn episode.
I <3 Mr. T

painey

Using my netflix one month free membership while theres a lul in my summer before Fall classes start and I watched Seasons 1-3 of Pawn Stars and finished 2-4 of 30 Rock. Both great shows. Started to watch Sons of Anarchy but wasn't very interested.. the English guys bad American accent makes me grind my teeth.

as-darker-than-black.jpg

i seen all 25 episodes(6 chapters) plus the bonus ep. one on netflix. i enjoyed it :)

Wiktor

God help me, I've started watching Vampire Diaries and I actually like it. All the typical emo teen drama aside it's simply a lot of fun and moves at ridiculously fast pace for a tv show. It feels like they've crammed 3 whole seasons into Season 1.

A lot of the quality of the show comes from Damon. He's simply a pure joy to watch. By far the coolest tv vampire ever. Especially since he didn't get castrated out of everything cool the moment he joined the good guys (which is what happened to poor Spike in Buffy)

Man there are so many good tv shows. I just started watching Rescue Me and I'm really enjoying it. Also watched the first episode of MadMen and it was pretty good as well.

Lima

AdrianWerner said:
God help me, I've started watching Vampire Diaries and I actually like it. All the typical emo teen drama aside it's simply a lot of fun and moves at ridiculously fast pace for a tv show. It feels like they've crammed 3 whole seasons into Season 1.

A lot of the quality of the show comes from Damon. He's simply a pure joy to watch. By far the coolest tv vampire ever. Especially since he didn't get castrated out of everything cool the moment he joined the good guys (which is what happened to poor Spike in Buffy)

Don't be ashamed. It is actually a lot better than True Blood. A lot of people that have seen both shows tend to agree.

Rock on.

Wiktor

Lima said:
Don't be ashamed. It is actually a lot better than True Blood. A lot of people that have seen both shows tend to agree.

Rock on.
Indeed. I am watching both and I do agree :)

Lima said:

Rock on.

Yep. If only Vampire Diaries had True Bloods budget, it's got everything else going for it.

Battersea Power Station said:
I watched 2 episodes of Luther....

is there any reason for me to keep going? So far I find it incredibly cheesy and childish.

If you don't like it now you probably won't like it later, though you are the first person I've ever seen watch it and not enjoy it. The end is a real roller coaster ride of action, but I don't think its that different from the beginning.

UrbanRats

is there any reason for me to keep going? So far I find it incredibly cheesy and childish.
I just watched episode 1 so far, but i enjoyed it.
There were some cop-show cliches, but hey.

You have to suspend your disbelief to really enjoy the show, as there are implausibilities and over the top moments galore. A realistic, slow-burn cop thriller it ain't. It isn't ashamed to throw all believability or any semblance of subtlety out the window and that's part of what i love about it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Alright.............I watched an episode of 'Akward' on MTV. Didn't know what it was, just saw the name of the show and saw it was labeled a comedy, so I checked it out.

I actually laughed quite a bit. Reminds me a bit of Mean Girls.

I saw the other two episodes(new series apparently) and they were pretty funny, too.

<waits for catchapredator.gif>

Been a longtime fan of Ghost Hunters but in the past year or so haven't really enjoyed it much. Decided to record Ghost Adventures on the travel channel. My wife and I both enjoy it much more.

Wow, haven't heard this yet since I've been hearing people give there views on Luther. I guess there's a first for everything...

Spotless Mind said:
You have to suspend your disbelief to really enjoy the show, as there are implausibilities and over the top moments galore. A realistic, slow-burn cop thriller it ain't. It isn't ashamed to throw all believability or any semblance of subtlety out the window and that's part of what i love about it.

Such as?

Enosh

Friends with benefits

kinda meh, but Jessica Lucas, jesus christ, so far they had her in a bra in both episodes

Thanks for not raging on me about Luther; I appreciate the calm responses as I wasn't trying to troll. Yes, judging from the first 2 episodes, it definitely does require turning off your mind. I guess I was too hyped because of GAF's praise of it as a psychological thriller. I was expecting a much more serious and preferably realistic analysis of the killers, not wacky characters and crazy stunts. I was probably also swayed by Elba's The Wire pedigree, even if I tried not to be. So if the show continues down the same path, it's not for me. Can't watch everything!

Vador

Neo Member
Started Breaking Bad Friday night... and I'm at the middle of the second season.. My brother told me about it and I'm happy he did.. it's good.

Thanks for not raging on me about Luther; I appreciate the calm responses as I wasn't trying to troll. Yes, judging from the first 2 episodes, it definitely does require turning off your mind. I guess I was too hyped because of GAF's praise of it as a psychological thriller. I was expecting a much more serious and preferably realistic analysis of the killers, not wacky characters and crazy stunts. I was probably also swayed by Elba's The Wire pedigree, even if I tried not to be. So if the show continues down the same path, it's not for me. Can't watch everything!

Understandable. But would you mind explaining the parts in bold? Thanks.

big ander

Blew through the BBC Sherlock while traveling. Amazing. I didn't dislike the recent RDJ/Jude Law film from Ritchie, but I thought it was a different Sherlock than I remember reading and I didn't enjoy it as much. The mystery wasn't as much fun, action was overwrought, and the chemistry between Watson and Holmes was only good. This is quite different.
The modern setting is great, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are magnificent, the stories are fantastic, mood is nailed. Everything about it is excellent. Can't wait for it to return.

big ander said:
Blew through the BBC Sherlock while traveling. Amazing. I didn't dislike the recent RDJ/Jude Law film from Ritchie, but I thought it was a different Sherlock than I remember reading and I didn't enjoy it as much. The mystery wasn't as much fun, action was overwrought, and the chemistry between Watson and Holmes was only good. This is quite different.
The modern setting is great, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are magnificent, the stories are fantastic, mood is nailed. Everything about it is excellent. Can't wait for it to return.

Early 2012!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
big ander said:

I really enjoyed Sherlock. I didn't think the modern setting would work, but it totally did. Sherlock obsessively texting makes total sense if you are at all familiar with his character in the books. Glad to see another fan. ;p

TheUsual

Gold Member
brucewaynegretzky said:
Beginning is really great. Unfortunately it never reaches the same quality as it had in the first season.
Does it become a crazy twist where they are all Cylons or something?

big ander

brucewaynegretzky said:
Early 2012!
Was hoping it'd be late 2011, but I see the wait will be a touch longer. Really looking forward to it.
RatskyWatsky said:
I really enjoyed Sherlock. I didn't think the modern setting would work, but it totally did. Sherlock obsessively texting makes total sense if you are at all familiar with his character in the books. Glad to see another fan. ;p
Yeah, I'm familiar enough with the books (read one of the short story anthologies and Hound of the Baskervilles about 10 years ago) so I really loved seeing it taken to this new time period. I'm excited that
they're doing Hound this season, should be a ton of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom