• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (PSV) |OT| Play for 10 Million Hours!

ryushe

As someone who didn't care for the first game, skipped the 2nd one, had the 3rd for PS3 (then sold it in time for the probability of me getting the Vita version) and then skipped the 4th game since I think this series only works as a handheld title, what's the chances I'd like this game?

The only reason I didn't care for the first game was simply because of the story, which while funny at times, just didn't do enough to hold my interest or attention. I also thought the characters were kind of lame. Don't get me wrong, I greatly respect this series mechanics wise, its just the first game kind of put me off, especially given how hyped it was pre the PS2 reprint.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I just noticed that mao's health is stuck at 88 but he won't heal to the 225 number it has on the status screen. Is this some sort of glitch or something ? The healer won't heal him past 88.

I just noticed that mao's health is stuck at 88 but he won't heal to the 225 number it has on the status screen. Is this some sort of glitch or something ? The healer won't heal him past 88.

I think it's because of a piece of equipment you have on. I believe I had the same problem when I first started. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

ZeroAKA

You're probably using a weight. Remove that item, and HP will return to normal.

As someone who didn't care for the first game, skipped the 2nd one, had the 3rd for PS3 (then sold it in time for the probability of me getting the Vita version) and then skipped the 4th game since I think this series only works as a handheld title, what's the chances I'd like this game?

The only reason I didn't care for the first game was simply because of the story, which while funny at times, just didn't do enough to hold my interest or attention. I also thought the characters were kind of lame. Don't get me wrong, I greatly respect this series mechanics wise, its just the first game kind of put me off, especially given how hyped it was pre the PS2 reprint.

not sure what to say :) . the original disgaea is, for me, one of the best-written/localized (& funniest) games i've ever played, & features very possibly my all-time favorite cast of characters. if you really thought the cast of that game was lame, i seriously doubt you'll find the cast of d3 an improvement...

otoh, maybe, being a little older now, you might 'get' the stupid :) ...

ryushe

otoh, maybe, being a little older now, you might 'get' the stupid :) ...
That's the thing, though, I usually love dumb, silly, over-the-top Japanese humor (Shows like FLCL and GTO are some of my favorite Anime, ever) but to my surprise I just couldn't get into the first game. Don't get me wrong, there were great scenes in it, like the Power Rangers parody group had me ROTF laughing, but the game just wasn't any fun to get through because of the 'boring' story and trite characters. I enjoyed playing the actual game though, but I had no motivation to get through it.

B.K.

I don't really like the Classroom and all the other new systems they added in Disgaea 3. They've really made it too complicated.

Glix

Wow. This game is so much better on the go then on my PS3. I'm really able to get into it!!!

Its hard locked my PSV in sleep mode twice now. I had to hold down the power to get to some kind of boot menu.

matmanx1

Wow. This game is so much better on the go then on my PS3. I'm really able to get into it!!!

Its hard locked my PSV in sleep mode twice now. I had to hold down the power to get to some kind of boot menu.

I haven't had any lockups but then again I always hit the PS button to get back to the Live Area before I put my Vita to sleep. I wonder if that makes a difference?

scy

So some more work on the Item Formula has me thinking it uses your Honor Quotient for some variable in it. Except it seems to be slightly random. I've gotten about 5 different values for stats from leveling the same item to 11 (10 Floors, 1 Item General kill). Gotta make this hard on me :(

Kazerei

Banned
I beat the game late last night. According to in-game data it took about 23h47m, but I did quit in the middle of battles several times, but I was also really overleveled. Mao's at level 102 now, and I've got four more at low 70s. It seems that I'll have to do some more grinding before getting into the extra content. Yay!

Got around to playing this. Been a whole since I've played a disgaea, but how does the whole you counter I counter you counter counter thing work?

Mondriaan

So some more work on the Item Formula has me thinking it uses your Honor Quotient for some variable in it. Except it seems to be slightly random. I've gotten about 5 different values for stats from leveling the same item to 11 (10 Floors, 1 Item General kill). Gotta make this hard on me :(
Where do you check your HQ?

MooMoo

How does the story and characters stack up against 1 and 2? I loved 1 and am currently pushing through 2 and I have to say 2 isn't nearly as captivating as 1.

Orca

I wanted this but have no room on the 8 GB card, no desire to start shuffling games on and off it, and even less desire to shell out for another card. I'll be giving it a go when I'm good and sick of Hot Shots or Rayman I guess :(

Kazerei

Banned
The in-game help is pretty useful by the way. Just access it from the menu.

Got around to playing this. Been a whole since I've played a disgaea, but how does the whole you counter I counter you counter counter thing work?

First of all, on the status screen there's an icon that looks like two dark red crossed swords. That's the maximum number of counters the character can perform. It largely depends on the character's class, but can be increased by equipment, certain evilities, and going through the Class World.

The probability of actually triggering a counter-attack depends on the speed stat, I believe (EDIT: my bad, just depends on that counter stat). At high levels it can get pretty ridiculous, to the point that I just use specials to avoid getting killed in a counter chain :\

Where do you check your HQ?

At the bottom of the menu
It's kinda annoying that HL and HQ are in different fonts.

How does the story and characters stack up against 1 and 2? I loved 1 and am currently pushing through 2 and I have to say 2 isn't nearly as captivating as 1.

In my opinion, 1 > 3 >>> 2. D2 had a cool premise, but the story was all over the place. Adell is cool though. D3's story is on par with D1, but the characters aren't quite as funny or interesting. In my opinion.

scy

The probability of actually triggering a counter-attack depends on the speed stat, I believe. At high levels it can get pretty ridiculous, to the point that I just use specials to avoid getting killed in a counter chain :\

Off-hand, it's merely dependent on the Counter "stat" itself and not any of your actual stats.

MooMoo

In my opinion, 1 > 3 >>> 2. D2 had a cool premise, but the story was all over the place. Adell is cool though. D3's story is on par with D1, but the characters aren't quite as funny or interesting. In my opinion.
Cool. I really want to like D2; maybe something in the last few chapters will change my mind. And even though I might not be done with D2 (and I have no clue as to how close to the end I actually am), I think the story just took too long to get moving, which made me hate Rozalin's rich background/dialogue even more than I normally would have. That and I hate Axel, who unfortunately has a lot of screen time. That said, there have been a few moments in D2 that made me feel like I did with D1, although these moments are far and few between.

Anyways, not to turn this into a 'which one in the series is the best' post, it's good to hear that this is closer to D1 than D2 so I'll probably nab this sometime in the near future. It'll be interesting to see some of the different mechanics they introduced.

Darknight

I may get a code for this game but I'd rather have a physical copy. Anyone wanna trade let me know. It woulb be a US code, sorry for being off topic. Just pm me if interested. Can get this done through the buy/sell thread.

Game looks cool from the videos. Hope to play tis soon.

matmanx1

I'm enjoying it a ton but I got sidetracked last night trying to finish up my last couple of Unit 13 missions. And tonight I finished them so I can jump back into Disgaea 3 now! I think I'm only on Chapter 2 at this point although I did do some extra work already in Raspberyl's sidestory that I mentioned previously. I seem to be easily distracted from the main story by making new characters, replaying maps and the sidestory chapters. Millions of hours, indeed.

Whoever designed Ordeals 3 is a sadistic son of a bitch.

Haha, I had trouble with that one but beat it last night.

I can't stop playing this game. Currently at 63 hours.

Been following this guide for leveling purposes:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/942139-disgaea-3-absence-of-justice/45486922

..and because of that guide, I have 2 characters at level 3500. One is Mao and the other is a thief with some monk/mage skills (more specifically, Big Bang and Tera Heal among others). Mao also has Big Bang and Tera Heal.

Just got done going into the item world of 3 shoes in order to increase their movement by 1. Each shoe now gives a +2 movement, which I equipped to my Moth monster, who ends up with +15 movement. He's purely for item world runs.

That guide is for the PS3 version but it works for the Vita one. If you do follow that guide, when you get to the part where it says "get omega heal", remember that the Tera spells weren't present in the PS3 version but they added it for the Vita so go for Tera when you get the chance.

I can definitely see myself getting the platinum for this game. So far, I have 30 trophies. Probably will be a proud moment for myself in terms of video game accomplishments, lol.

RoylAsult

im new to this series and i have a few questions. Last night i lost on the mission right after the tutorials (because i was being dumb pretty much) and the game had me restarted from the very beginning. Is that what its like every time you lose?

Or should i just have no saved or something when it told me to after i lost

scy

im new to this series and i have a few questions. Last night i lost on the mission right after the tutorials (because i was being dumb pretty much) and the game had me restarted from the very beginning. Is that what its like every time you lose?

Or should i just have no saved or something when it told me to after i lost

No, that fight just leads to a New Game+ when you lose. Most maps just Game Over normally (well, you exit to the Hospital NPC now rather than Game Over, I believe).

RoylAsult

No, that fight just leads to a New Game+ when you lose. Most maps just Game Over normally (well, you exit to the Hospital NPC now rather than Game Over, I believe).

why was it just that map? i kinda feel like you were suppose to lose that match at first lol

What's the best way to get a higher bonus for the rewards at the end. I've been grinding on a level 1 map and I can consistently get 5 but no more.

Also does only the character that scored the kill earn mana?

Also is there something I can read that explains what each stat does?

Mondriaan

What's the best way to get a higher bonus for the rewards at the end. I've been grinding on a level 1 map and I can consistently get 5 but no more.

Also does only the character that scored the kill earn mana?

You can grind up bonus by having your characters attack each other, but there's nothing on a level 1 map that's going to be worth the trouble. Maybe it's worthwhile if you're going through the item world, though.

Take a bunch of low level thieves and combo attack your toughest high level tank character (doing zero damage is fine for boosting bonus). You will need to do something with the enemies on the board since you might accidentally win before maxing out your bonus or end up getting your characters killed.

Only the character that scored the kill directly earns mana, but you can have more than one character participate in a kill with magichange or a team combo. You can indirectly collect mana via the robber club.

There's a virtual manual, but I haven't tried to access it yet.

That's the thing, though, I usually love dumb, silly, over-the-top Japanese humor (Shows like FLCL and GTO are some of my favorite Anime, ever) but to my surprise I just couldn't get into the first game. Don't get me wrong, there were great scenes in it, like the Power Rangers parody group had me ROTF laughing, but the game just wasn't any fun to get through because of the 'boring' story and trite characters. I enjoyed playing the actual game though, but I had no motivation to get through it.

I actually really like Disgaea 3 story so far. I never finish Disgaea 1, mostly because I don't like Geoblock much, and I felt the story boring, and while some of the characters are great. I never like airhead character like Flonne. I start to lose interest with the story not long after she appear.

on the other hand, I like Disgaea 3 cast so far, and while it still have the silly humor, it seems there's a more to the story than just slapstick comedy. I like Mao a lot in the game.

RoylAsult

i just finished chapter 1 and i feel like i am getting the hang of it... just wish i understood what the trophies meant :\ lol

For trophies, I've been using the PS3 guide:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/disgaea-3/guide/

Most of them are the same, but with different names.

One of the trophies involves setting up the geo panels in a certain way to get a chain of 10. I took a video of this trophy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rrG9T-7qqo

What's the best way to get a higher bonus for the rewards at the end.

You can also use the geo panels to increase the bonus. If you chain all geo panels on the field and clear them all in 1 shot, you'll get a huge bonus. Most likely enough to get all the rewards on the bonus list. I think one of the tutorials shows you how to chain them.

RoylAsult

whats an item world and the 100 floors they mention? i guess im just not that far into the game yet and still have some tutorials to unlock haha

scy

why was it just that map? i kinda feel like you were suppose to lose that match at first lol

It's just a Disgaea tradition to have certain "boss" fights lead to Bad Endings when you lose to them.

Well, the first thing to accept is that there's just a good chance you won't be able to get a full Bonus List on every single map without some outside tricks. The easiest way is to have 10 Level 1 characters (ideally, female Gunners for their +Bonus Evility) attacking a Box made by a high level Thief.

But other than that, long combos (i.e., multiple characters attacking the same target, not Team Attacks) will build the Bonus Gauge up. Geo Blocks will also help a lot as well, though not all stages will have a setup to really help utilize this.

ATK - Attack. Used in basically all the physical damage formulas.

HIT - ...Hit. Used in your accuracy* and part of the damage formula for Bows [1/2 * (ATK + HIT)] and Guns [1/2 * (HIT + SPD)].

INT - Intelligence. Used in the damage formula for Spells.

DEF - Defense. Also used in basically all the physical damage formulas.

RES - Resistance. Used in the damage formula for Spells just like DEF for physical damage.

SPD - Speed. Used in evasion* and the Gun damage formula mentioned above and Fists [1/2 * (ATK + SPD)].

As for the other stuff on the status display (from left-to-right):

Shoe - Movement
Feather - Jump Height (in battle)
Bow - Attack Range
Hand - Throw Range (for Monsters, throwing a unit on top of them will "bounce" the unit this far just as if they had thrown them)
Swords - Counters
Sunburst - Critical Rate
Fire / Wind / Ice - Elemental Resistances; negative means they take bonus damage, positive means they resist.

*That formula is basically HIT / SPD with a 40% chance minimum for side attacks and 80% for rear attacks.

whats an item world and the 100 floors they mention? i guess im just not that far into the game yet and still have some tutorials to unlock haha

The Thief NPC in the base is the Item World NPC. The Item World is basically a set of randomly generated levels inside an item. Clearing a stage (either by killing all enemies or just entering the gates on them) will increase the level of the item by 1 which will result in increasing the stats of the item. There's more to it but this is the basic gist to it.

There's 30 Floors in Common items (White name), 60 Floors in Rare items (Green names), and 100 Floors in Legendary items (Gold names).

RoylAsult

what does NPC stand for and where exactly is it?

sorry for being a pain just really want to understand this game better lol. Think im going to actually have to read the manual for this game lol

Anyone know how that location stuff works? I made 12 km today, but I don't see any Honor Quotient increase. The game has to be on background meanwhile I move?

matmanx1

Going to trade Rayman in for this within the next few days I think. Don't know what I'm letting myself in for!

So, so worth it though. I'm loving this Vita version and there's so much to do in it that I will be playing it for a good while. Start slow, get the basics and work your way up from there.

Mondriaan

Anyone know how that location stuff works? I made 12 km today, but I don't see any Honor Quotient increase. The game has to be on background meanwhile I move?
Page 30 on the manual seems to indicate it only uses GPS data and the wording implies it uses the GPS data only while you're playing.

datamage

It's funny, I just finished Disgaea 1 for the first time and wanting more, I jumped right into 3. While I love the sharper and much more polished presentation, I'm having a hard time enjoying the characters and story. I can't stand Mao, and I am not enjoying the voice overs. I also prefer gaining skills via leveling rather than mana.

Still on chapter 1, so I hope it grows on me.

B.K.

It's funny, I just finished Disgaea 1 for the first time and wanting more, I jumped right into 3. While I love the sharper and much more polished presentation, I'm having a hard time enjoying the characters and story.

No Disgaea game has been able to stand up to the first game. I'm pretty sure it was a fluke. 2 and 3 don't come close to it.

Top Bottom