• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm three hours in, have yet to die. I had some rather close calls, but nothing I couldn't handle. I haven't ran out of bullets yet either (though I have came close). Search and loot everything you can, and make use of your flares because you will find plenty of others along the way. Use the cricket bat on single zombies to conserve bullets, use guns if you have two or more Zombie's attention. The online communications features are rather awesome, most signs have been informative and helpful, but I did run into an asshole that put an arrow pointing right along with a loot box and smiley face, which led me to hastily turn the corner and run straight into a Zombie. I almost died (and it scaredthe shit out of me), but I couldn't help but laugh.

Awesome game.

derFeef

Right there with you Dark! So loving this! Also I guess other peoples survivors that died can appear in your game? I had a zombie with a backpack on and it wasn't any of my previous survivors!

Are the items still in the backpack? Does it pull that thing from the friendslist? Hnnggh I wanna play this :(

Are the items still in the backpack? Does it pull that thing from the friendslist? Hnnggh I wanna play this :(

It definetly wasn't someone from my friends list because I only had one person and he doesn't have this game but YES the backpack was completly FULL!

Also let me give an example of some of the cooler moments I've had.

-Coming outside to a lighting/rain storm and the sounds and clash of thunder was terrifying and very atmospheric.
-I was in a tunnel, I saw a body slouched to the wall on the right. I take my time, with my back to the wall, keeping my eye on him. Suddenly behind me a zombie screams. I jerk my controller. I get bit and die
-I discovered a new room, picked up a sweet new weapon... suddenly the door started pounding, I panic, zombies busted in, I tried to survive... I didn't.
-Crawling through a small tunnel I see a zombies feet... I aprroach with caution hoping he will walk away. I get to close, he drops down on the ground and pulls me out! HOLY GEEBUS!
-This section you have to crawl into, your in water and need to climb a ladder. There was some zombie bodies there. They were lootable. I later die and have to retread. Getting back there suddenly the bodies re-animate this time and totally take me by surprise.

Also when I panic in this game, I really panic. I stumble with the controller and everything. The idea of one person and your dead really keeps me scared the entire time.

Newsboy

Neo Member
I'm three hours in, have yet to die. I had some rather close calls, but nothing I couldn't handle. I haven't ran out of bullets yet either (though I have came close). Search and loot everything you can, and make use of your flares because you will find plenty of others along the way. Use the cricket bat on single zombies to conserve bullets, use guns if you have two or more Zombie's attention. The online communications features are rather awesome, most signs have been informative and helpful, but I did run into an asshole that put an arrow pointing right along with a loot box and smiley face, which led me to hastily turn the corner and run straight into a Zombie. I almost died (and it scaredthe shit out of me), but I couldn't help but laugh.

Awesome game.

You make the game sound awesome. I just can't wait to get my hands on this.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Why are some people so confident in the sequel being multiplat? I mean it is called ZombiU. Also, Red Steel never went multiplat. If it sells well, I expect this to stay Nintendo exclusive due to Nintendo pushing for it to stay exclusive.

Newsboy

Neo Member
After reading the last few pages it looks like NeoGAF is LOVING this game. What happened with the reviews? Were they attacking the game incorrectly? Expecting something different? Why the discrepancy?

Malvingt2

Awesome game.
lol... Man XD

Mael

Why are some people so confident in the sequel being multiplat? I mean it is called ZombiU. Also, Red Steel never went multiplat. If it sells well, I expect this to stay Nintendo exclusive due to Nintendo pushing for it to stay exclusive.

At this point I don't even care if the sequel is multiplat or not,
I'd prefer a sequel that doesn't come in 4 years when nobody remembers it and being close to what was in the original.
Seriously I'm still kinda mad how Red Steel 2 did away with most of the destructive environment and the change in setting...

After reading the last few pages it looks like NeoGAF is LOVING this game. What happened with the reviews? Were they attacking the game incorrectly? Expecting something different? Why the discrepancy?

Basically it's a reverse Assassin's Creed III, the result is still the same reviewers can't be trusted.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think it's becoming more clear, now that more people are playing it, that reviews like gamespot and ign are the minority.

Those of us not racing through the game in order to meet a review deadline seem to be really happy with the finished product. While it does have its share of issues, none of them are game breaking.

If played slow, smart and methodically, zombiU can be one of the most satisfying (and horrifying) games of all time.

I never understood the love for Excite Truck personally. Thought it was incredibly generic racing game, it wasn't awful but it was nothing special.
You can say a lot of things about Excite Truck but it sure wasn't generic. Still the best stunt system in an arcade racer for me. Nailed the difficulty/risk/reward.

But enough off-topic, more impressions pls. I just hope it's not too easy. Folks don't seem to die just enough for my taste :p.

Yeah, ZombiU is one of the most intense gaming experiences I've had. It's not the most fun game I've played, but it is extremely addictive and tense.

As a side note, about that twist. If we pay attention to the notes, letters, etc. we're supposedly supposed to be able to piece together the big plot twist early.

*BUCKINGHAM PALACE MINOR SPOILERS BELOW*

I've only just completed Buckingham Palace, but I discovered something interesting that reminded me of what the writer said. In the Queen's letters, it's mentioned that a man by the name of William Wright (I think that was his name) was acquitted from prison after bringing a gun to the Palace premises in 2002.

I just thought it was odd that would be mentioned in a game about zombies and might have something to do with the big plot twist.

CronoShot

Cancelled my preorder when the Gamespot and GI reviews were released, but it looks like I'm gonna cave and get it anyway. From the impressions, sounds like my kind of a game.

olimpia84

My Newegg copy shipped today and is expected to arrive NEXT MONDAY. Seriously?? This pisses me the fuck off, I thought they had 3 day shipping? And even if they don't why didn't they ship the damn game on Saturday??

You can say a lot of things about Excite Truck but it sure wasn't generic. Still the best stunt system in an arcade racer for me. Nailed the difficulty/risk/reward.

But enough off-topic, more impressions pls. I just hope it's not too easy. Folks don't seem to die just enough for my taste :p.

This game isn't easy. I've had way too many close calls.

I've only died once, two and a half hours in so far, but the design of the game has forced me to play it safe most of the time. I'm always on the edge of my seat, not so with other games that have a checkpoint death system.

My Newegg copy shipped today and is expected to arrive NEXT MONDAY. Seriously?? This pisses me the fuck off, I thought they had 3 day shipping? And even if they don't why didn't they ship the damn game on Saturday??

Mine shipped from Newegg on Saturday night and will be here tomorrow. From UPS. But my Mario U is shipping from DHL and will be here in 4 days. What the hell? FUCKING DHL?!

Newegg has been acting really screwy lately. Lots of fucked up shipping going on.

Skiesofwonder

I had just had my (short three hour) life flash across my eyes in the Buckingham Palace. Jeez, I screamed like a little girl, did not see that coming. All I could think of is "please don't bite me, I'm a level four in handguns!".

Skiesofwonder

I haven't finished the game so maybe something changes, but right now the Gamespot review is just completely baffling to me.

This game isn't easy. I've had way too many close calls.

I've only died once, two and a half hours in so far, but the design of the game has forced me to play it safe most of the time. I'm always on the edge of my seat, not so with other games that have a checkpoint death system.
Sounds good then.

I had just had my (short three hour) life flash across my eyes in the Buckingham Palace. Jeez, I scream like a little girl, did not see that coming. All I could think of is "please don't bite me, I'm a level four in handguns!".
So is the weapon proficiency really meaningful in the way that it hurts to lose the progress?

I had just had my (short three hour) life flash across my eyes in the Buckingham Palace. Jeez, I screamed like a little girl, did not see that coming. All I could think of is "please don't bite me, I'm a level four in handguns!".

Do tell which specific part you're talking about.

I had a lot of close calls in Buckingham Palace myself. I even had one zombie do the bite animation at me, but I back peddled just in time.

GrayFoxPL

INFINITE!

I'm pretty sure it's randomly generated. Unless you're talking about the looks of characters, and then I don't know.

Wish I had pre-ordered a Wii U after reading this thread.

Wonder if you can get spawned as a ridiculous looking character.

Mantorok

If they have to tell you then maybe something wrong is with the game not the players.

I don't know, there are many reviewers who might believe that all games should be fast-paced action shooters and that slow-paced survival horror no longer exists, admittedly it's easy to expect one thing and be dissapointed because it's something other.

Apparently first person shooters can't be slow paced? Is that what it's come to?

derFeef

Anyone tried local multiplayer? I am going to have a game night with some colleagues when my Wii U comes and the RTS element of it sounds like evil fun.

It definetly wasn't someone from my friends list because I only had one person and he doesn't have this game but YES the backpack was completly FULL!

Also let me give an example of some of the cooler moments I've had.

-Coming outside to a lighting/rain storm and the sounds and clash of thunder was terrifying and very atmospheric.
-I was in a tunnel, I saw a body slouched to the wall on the right. I take my time, with my back to the wall, keeping my eye on him. Suddenly behind me a zombie screams. I jerk my controller. I get bit and die
-I discovered a new room, picked up a sweet new weapon... suddenly the door started pounding, I panic, zombies busted in, I tried to survive... I didn't.
-Crawling through a small tunnel I see a zombies feet... I aprroach with caution hoping he will walk away. I get to close, he drops down on the ground and pulls me out! HOLY GEEBUS!
-This section you have to crawl into, your in water and need to climb a ladder. There was some zombie bodies there. They were lootable. I later die and have to retread. Getting back there suddenly the bodies re-animate this time and totally take me by surprise.

Also when I panic in this game, I really panic. I stumble with the controller and everything. The idea of one person and your dead really keeps me scared the entire time.

Excellent!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Infinite, yes. But remember that if you bite the dust while on your way to recovering your previous stuff from your freshly created zombie former self it's game over, full stop

Nah, you still keep all the shortcuts and CCTV's. you just lose whatever was in the bag. That's why I travel lightly and store everything at the safe house.

Silkworm

Anyone tried local multiplayer? I am going to have a game night with some colleagues when my Wii U comes and the RTS element of it sounds like evil fun.

This section you have to crawl into, your in water and need to climb a ladder. There was some zombie bodies there. They were lootable. I later die and have to retread. Getting back there suddenly the bodies re-animate this time and totally take me by surprise.

Excellent!

I knew the game regenerated situations in the game so no play through is the same, but I guess this extends to when you die as well, i.e. I was thinking of the changes occurring if you played through to completion and then started over with a completely new game not after dying on your same "save" so to speak? If so then cool! :)

I was teetering on the edge about getting this game due to the review thread but I took the plunge and can say after 45 min in, I'm loving it so far. I'm definitely tense and being super cautious.

Skiesofwonder

Sounds good then.

So is the weapon proficiency really meaningful in the way that it hurts to lose the progress?

I would say so. Maybe it is because I have gotten more use to the controllers and also upgrade my handgun, but I'm a lot more accurate with it then I was at the beginning. Also, it seems more forgiven now if you are off a little bit and a much better chance of one head shot killing a Zombie.

Do tell which specific part you're talking about.

I had a lot of close calls in Buckingham Palace myself. I even had one zombie do the bite animation at me, but I back peddled just in time.

Right when you get off the elevator, if you turn left into the dining-like room, there is another secret (the wall is left open) room behind the furniture that leads to a ladder. The ladder then leads to a vent, so I started to crawl through it when a Zombie frantically pulled me into the room. My character kicked it off, but I was so flustered that by the time I changed to my handgun he was doing the bite animation and I backed into a wall but used the push button to push him away. Then I (thankfully) killed it with two bullets to the head. Now I'm dealing with these spitters lol.

oatmeal

Banned
So it IS possible to beat it with one character right?

I feel like you'd get attached to your first few characters because of how careful you'd be.

Damnit I want this.

Silkworm

So it IS possible to beat it with one character right?

I feel like you'd get attached to your first few characters because of how careful you'd be.

Damnit I want this.

Yes it is but you have to be careful of course ;-) Speed runs with one character should be entertaining :)

I knew the game regenerated situations in the game so no play through is the same, but I guess this extends to when you die as well, i.e. I was thinking of the changes occurring if you played through to completion and then started over with a completely new game not after dying on your same "save" so to speak? If so then cool! :)

Well I know for a fact they didn't come alive the first time through. (thinking back they might not have been lootable but they definetly didn't get up!) So yeah this was extremely cool but freaked me out!
Right when you get off the elevator, if you turn left into the dining-like room, there is another secret (the wall is left open) room behind the furniture that leads to a ladder. The ladder then leads to a vent, so I started to crawl through it when a Zombie frantically pulled me into the room. My character kicked it off, but I was so flustered that by the time I changed to my handgun he was doing the bite animation and I backed into a wall but used the push button to push him away. Then I (thankfully) killed it with two bullets to the head. Now I'm dealing with these spitters lol.

Got me too!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
From the sounds of the impressions, the main thing I'm conspcerned about is screaming out loud in the middle of the night. This kind of game won't be something my wife wants to see so its a late night game. Considering zombies in minecraft can make me jump, this could actually kill me.

I would say so. Maybe it is because I have gotten more use to the controllers and also upgrade my handgun, but I'm a lot more accurate with it then I was at the beginning. Also, it seems more forgiven now if you are off a little bit and a much better chance of one head shot killing a Zombie.[/SPOILER]
Thanks, sounds good. Less than two weeks...

Thus far, the game is certainly flawed but they haven't bothered me too much in 5-6 hours of play I've put in (finally got to Buckingham!). That having been said, I can understand how some in this "shoot everything now ask questions later" type of gaming climate would be put off by it. It's a SLOW paced game and it's about avoiding confrontation whenever possible. If you're wading into a hoard of zombies recklessly and are frustrated by the games inability to make you feel like a "bad ass" then yeah - you're going to hate it. This isn't a game that handles melee combat with multiple enemies well and that's by design. Your player character is tissue paper. 2-3 good shots and you're dead. Not to mention you really have to think about what supplies to bring with you, what to stash and if you do have a full backpack - what to drop to make room for a potentially more important item.

It's a balancing act in so far as the use of such things as bullets. You can accumulate plenty of ammo and stash it in your safehouse but then if you never use your pistol - you'll never upgrade your skills with that gun. Each level of the weapon you're using is tied to the number of enemies you kill with it as has been mentioned. So you can be uber conservative and end up hurting yourself in the long run because you're skills haven't been improved enough.

The flaws I mentioned include melee not really feeling great and having a variety of weapons each with a specific attack would help alleviate some of the perceived monotony. I don't know if I'd care for a combo system or something ala Condemned here. That's just not the point of the game but giving the player choices of which weapons suits them more while keeping it simple would have a nice boon. Also, some of the gamepad controls can feel a little cumbersome at times but I attribute that more to me acclimating myself to how the game plays. The touchscreen stuff for the most part is accurate and I've not hit a point where it frustrates at all.

Visually the game has a major Condemned vibe going for it. It's not a graphical powerhouse that will blow you away but it gets the atmosphere very right more often than not with excellent lighting and pretty solid level design thus far. The music reminds me of the score for 28 Days Later (by John Murphy) at times which can't be a coincidence considering the game is set in London.:)

I initially started the game with a practice run and died like four times in the span of an hour. Since starting the game proper, I've been playing the same survivor for the full 6 hours now because I've adjusted to the pace of the game and am EXTREMELY careful about not going into places I know should not be. Every door is a guessing game and each one could lead to death so you stick to the path and if you run across a hoard - RUN RUN RUN.

i.e. what a fucking survival horror game should be!

Eteric Rice

Yeah, the reviewers were way off of the mark with this. I'm guessing they went in expecting one thing, but got another.

I get the feeling this is going to be a cult game. And to think they pulled off making it after all of the production problems they had.

Sanctuary

I think it's becoming more clear, now that more people are playing it, that reviews like gamespot and ign are the minority.

Those of us not racing through the game in order to meet a review deadline seem to be really happy with the finished product. While it does have its share of issues, none of them are game breaking.

If played slow, smart and methodically, zombiU can be one of the most satisfying (and horrifying) games of all time.

Some people love the hell out of COD, and all twenty of it's clone brethren. Some people can't stand the repetitive nature of it.

I won't know how ZombiU plays until it arrives tomorrow, but I do not look forward to playing Dead Island lite if that's what it turns out to be. What matters to me the most in a game like this though is the atmosphere and tension. As long as the game does that well, I can overlook some niggles.

Skiesofwonder

Welp, just died.

Time survived: 3:14:11
Infected killed: 86
Survivor score: 3830

My caution did me in, I was busy taking care of a single Zombie with the cricket bat and turned around to see two zombies in my face. They clawed me to death, and I still had a med-kit that I didn't use.... :/ very stupid of me.

Poor Watson.

antonz

Welp, just died.

Time survived: 3:14:11
Infected killed: 86
Survivor score: 3830

My caution did me in, I was busy taking care of a single Zombie with the cricket bat and turned around to see two zombies in my face. They clawed me to death, and I still had a med-kit that I didn't use.... :/ very stupid of me.

Poor Watson.

Its that tension. suddenly see you are getting surrounded and the shit hits the fan trying to survive

Sanctuary said:
but I do not look forward to playing Dead Island lite if that's what it turns out to be.
This game is NOTHING like Dead Island. Nothing. The only thing they share in common is the perspective from which they are played. That's it.

pa22word

Mine shipped from Newegg on Saturday night and will be here tomorrow. From UPS. But my Mario U is shipping from DHL and will be here in 4 days. What the hell? FUCKING DHL?!

Newegg has been acting really screwy lately. Lots of fucked up shipping going on.

Yeah they still haven't even shipped my Wii U or copies of Zombi U and Mario U =\

Due to thanksgiving shenanigans I doubt I see my Wii U until next week, maybe later depending on when Newegg decides to ship my shit lol. Reading this thread is painful, as the Quicklook has me quite hyped for this game.

Top Bottom