• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden review thread: The Highest Reviewed Game of All Time and The Future?

LuuKyK

It's kind of hard to compare them since Persona is so unique. It's basically like 70% visual novel.

Judging both games as just RPGs, Xenoblade is miles better. But that's not really what Persona 4 is.

In what world is Xenoblade better than Persona 4? lmao

Sophia

Comparing Persona 4 to Xenoblade is pointless as they're both vastly different kinds of RPGs. They're both fantastic and the best examples of their sub-genre and that is all that matters.

Roto13

In what world is Xenoblade better than Persona 4? lmao

The real one. Better battle system, better world, certainly better dungeons, amazing sense of exploration. Xenoblade is a great RPG. Persona 4 is a good RPG and a great visual novel.

raven777

The real one. Better battle system, better world, certainly better dungeons, amazing sense of exploration. Xenoblade is a great RPG. Persona 4 is a good RPG and a great visual novel.

I don't think P4's battle system is one of the best, but I still think its better than Xenoblade's

Gravijah

Better battle system

the battle system is definitely the weakest part of Xenoblade. for the type of game it is, it's just so limited. i always end up comparing it to XII in my head, which is a game that gives you an extreme amount of control, while XB doesn't give you much at all.

Persona 4 is a long ass game, and after beating it I told myself that i'd never replay it again because I'd never need too. But this game is sounding real enticing. Will Buy

volpone

Banned
Are people really arguing that Persona 4 has anything approaching a great battle system?

It's a good (great, even) game in other regards, of course, but it is incredibly dry when it comes to battling.

Astra

Definitely a better world, and better dungeons, but where is this amazing sense of exploration?
The world is indeed beautiful, but there really isn't much to discover in Xenoblade. Wandering around and looking for glowing white dots isn't what I would consider great exploration.
Just a big, beautiful, empty world.

Heads up that Persona 3 Portable is $10 on PSN. Persona 2 is $14.99

haha, really? The store must have just updated. I was looking at P3P today, and it was $19.99. I may purchase it to play on the Vita. Thanks for the heads-up!

UberTag

Can we at least agree that no JRPG in the last 5 years can hold a candle to either Persona 4 or Xenoblade Chronicles?
It's those two titles... and then everything else. (And I say that as an unabashed fan of Tales of Vesperia and Trails in the Sky.)

Can we at least agree that no JRPG in the last 5 years can hold a candle to either Persona 4 or Xenoblade Chronicles?
It's those two titles... and then everything else. (And I say that as an unabashed fan of Tales of Vesperia and Trails in the Sky.)

No, we can't agree.

hmmmm paper mario seems less than stellar... might cancel me order for this.

fuck it, ill probably get both lol.

not having random trait inheritance is the best thing ever.

3rd tier persona for party? When does that happen? they evolve to 2nd tier like at the end of the game already o_O

volpone

Banned

From a purely gameplay and growth perspective, Birth By Sleep is the best action-oriented JRPG or 'JARPG' in recent memory.

P90

Better battle system? Nah. Better world? Nah. Better dundeons, debatable. Sense of exploration? Well there is much more to exploration than traveling areas.

Xenoblade is a very, very good RPG. Persona 4 is a classic video game that rates up there with the best games of all time. Obviously, you disagree. You are just wrong. ;)

inner-G

Banned
Qualifications aside, Persona 4 is objectively a better game than Xenoblade.

Comet

It's not really a great visual novel...

debbie+downer+1.jpg

Lunar15

While I think it's pretty dumb to compare these two games on design choices, I will say that I enjoyed Persona 4 more. That being said, I'm of the opinion that Xenoblade is vastly overrated, so consider me biased.

A think a good way to describe how I feel is that Persona is somehow greater than the sum of its parts, while Xenoblade's parts are better than the whole.

Persona 4 is a traditional JRPG crossed with some life/dating sim elements and featuring an occult/mystery plot.

Xenoblade is a singleplayer RPG done in the style of a MMORPG.

They're both exceptionally good at what they do but there's little point in comparing them since they're so different.

They're both exceptionally good at what they do but there's little point in comparing them since they're so different.

Yes, I totally agree here.

I think that a lot of the "debate" stems from typical internet forum contention of passions, "stop liking what I don't like", can't join it just beat it, "somebody on the internet is wrong", etc.

You know, what if there was a game that combined the best of both worlds? Cthulhu could be involved. That'd be neat.

Despera

Banned
Definitely a better world, and better dungeons, but where is this amazing sense of exploration?
The world is indeed beautiful, but there really isn't much to discover in Xenoblade. Wandering around and looking for glowing white dots isn't what I would consider great exploration.
Just a big, beautiful, empty world.
Exactly. When it comes to exploration, both Persona 4 and Xenoblade are weak. Xenoblade has proper dungeons and aesthetically appealing open areas and vistas, but then side quests are boring, copy&paste fetchs/hunts.

And I'm surprised that there are people badmouthing the Press Turn battle system. It's pretty much one of the best traditional turn-based combat systems out there.

I think we can all agree that P4's story is more intriguing and entertaining as well as better paced in comparison to Xenoblade's. P4 also has a better, more interesting cast of characters. On the other hand, Xenobalde has a better world and superior level design.

Both dev teams can learn from each other.

Shahed

The hell? Why has this become a Xenoblade Vs Persona 4 topic? While they are both technically JRPG's, the mechanics, style and setting are completely different. They may as well be different genre's since they both have quite different strengths and weaknesses.

Besides both are absolutely amazing games, and among the very few I would ever consider a ten out of ten. Comparing these two just feels wrong

The hell? Why has this become a Xenoblade Vs Persona 4 topic? While they are both technically JRPG's, the mechanics, style and setting are completely different. They may as well be different genre's since they both have quite different strengths and weaknesses.

Besides both are absolutely amazing games, and among the very few I would ever consider a ten out of ten. Comparing these two just feels wrong

Dude, how else am I gonna show my love for one game without shitting on another?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yeah, by pandering to the lowest common denominator with waifus and animu hijinks. Those are the things that make a better videogame.

the hilarious truth is - i cannot tell whether you are talking about cliche riddled anime angst Xenogears or anime angst cliche riddled Persona 4

Dantis

Are people really arguing that Persona 4 has anything approaching a great battle system?

It's a good (great, even) game in other regards, of course, but it is incredibly dry when it comes to battling.

Not to get caught up in this silly debate, but disagree here. I'd take P4's battles over just about any RPG out there (Except Witcher 2).

Raytow

Ninthing defense force out in full I see... Xenoblade is mediocre crap, just because you guys didn't have crap to play on doesn't mean is the best thing EVAR! offline mmorpg is so cool guys, it is not cliched at all, the battle system is so cool and the dialogue doesn't make me tear my ears and stab my eyes at all!

Rootbeer

Banned
We live in a world where you can enjoy the greatness of both Xenoblade as well as Persona 4, why bother warring D: My Vita is ready. Actually it will be HOT and ready as it's busy being played non-stop right now as it is. (RO, LBPV, Zero Escape, etc. etc. aahhh!!!)

Esura

Banned
^ P4 no doubt about it. I love Xenoblade but P4 is just something special.

Persona 4 isn't anything like a visual novel. I'm also curious on how you think Xenoblade has a better battle system and dungeon than Persona 4. No dungeon in Xenoblade is as unique as Marukyu and
Heaven
. Exploration in Xenoblade is a chore and it detracts from one of it's better elements, it's narrative.

Yes and yes. If you order it now you can probably expect it the first week of December, or if you're lucky, around the 27th of November.

Thanks for that.

Anyone ever had customs stick their fat noses in the package? Cant be bothered with another charge from them.

Liberation, Person 4 and MGS:HD all to play on Xmas. Probs gonna burn the turkey this year.

As good as Xenoblade was, that long ass factory completely turned me off to the game. Shit was boring as fuck

I was having a good time prior to that too

Persona 4 kept me entertained throughout

inner-G

Banned
Your misuse of the word "objectively" really brings your well-made point home.
Objectively: impartially, neutrally, fairly, justly, without prejudice, dispassionately, with an open mind, equitably, without fear or favour, even-handedly, without bias, disinterestedly, with objectivity or impartiality

If that's not right, well, I'm a graphic designer, not a writer lol.

Xenoblade is not even in the same echelon, league, class, whatever as P4.

Not to get caught up in this silly debate, but disagree here. I'd take P4's battles over just about any RPG out there (Except Witcher 2).

what about DDS huh wiseguy?

Oh btw guys, P2 Duo > P4 > P1 = P3, all = good to great games. the world keeps on spinnin'

Kyon

Banned
Ninthing defense force out in full I see... Xenoblade is mediocre crap, just because you guys didn't have crap to play on doesn't mean is the best thing EVAR! offline mmorpg is so cool guys, it is not cliched at all, the battle system is so cool and the dialogue doesn't make me tear my ears and stab my eyes at all!

EDUCATE THEM!

Venfayth

Is there a game that exists right now that has P4/P3 (maybe DDS/Nocturne) style gameplay in a multiplayer setting?

That seems like it could be a lot of fun as long as people don't get to have uber-fused personae with no weaknesses and almighty attacks.

Persona 3 Portable at $10 or Person 4 Golden at $40

What say you gaf - I haven't played either and will probably get around to both eventually. But for now, is Persona 4 good enough to hold off on 3 until later? Not to mention there is a certain joy in playing through P4G the same time as lots of other gaffers.

Top Bottom