• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Year Awards 2008 (2012 edition)

mxgt

Banned
Loving that Mirror's Edge jumped up so high. Still can't see why a game worse than Twin Snakes gets so much praise.

jett

D-Member
Loving that Mirror's Edge jumped up so high. Still can't see why a game worse than Twin Snakes gets so much praise.

Stupidly hyped up exclusive game that at one point singlehandedly justified an entire console's existence.

Anyone who legitimately thinks MGS4 is good is seriously deranged.

MGS4 takes it's rightful place in the standings (again). It's good to see.

I mean, is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this would be the game that would merit that score. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a title that exceeds all of the hype that was attached to the title. Regardless of whether you've seen every trailer and screenshot, read every preview and heard every interview, you won't get a full sense of how phenomenal this title is unless you sit down and experience it for yourself.

Stupidly hyped up exclusive game that at one point singlehandedly justified an entire console's existence.

xVu8D.gif

mxgt

Banned

I mean, is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this would be the game that would merit that score. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a title that exceeds all of the hype that was attached to the title. Regardless of whether you've seen every trailer and screenshot, read every preview and heard every interview, you won't get a full sense of how phenomenal this title is unless you sit down and experience it for yourself.

If a game is going to shove hours upon hours of cut scenes in my face, I at least want them to make sense.

SykoTech

Aw yeah. Valkyria Chronicles in the Top 10, and it even managed to beat Brawl. So close to the Top 5 too. Maybe next time.

Hilarious how MGS4 didn't even get the most negative votes. So much for the haters getting that as a consolation prize.

Gears 2 and Fable II fans seem to have flown the coop.

Too bad The Wticher didnt go up more in this list, its a magnificent game.
But is cool to see it the best PC game, and Mass Effect 1 (PC) being 2 is also great. To amazing games indeed.

I think that's the reason MGS4 didn't move.

Well, im playing Mass Effect 2 right now, to crate my save for ME3, and im having a really fun time. Yeah, theres things I dont really like form the game, and things that could be changed, but I still really like it.

BUT I need to see again the list for that year. Im sure some games will change places in the one I do.

jett

D-Member

ibnCGQMppuJ54t.gif

Dat IGN quote.

Weird that I can't access IGN now, it redirects me to IGN UK every time. Annoying :/

http://i.minus.com/ibnCGQMppuJ54t.gif
Say what you will, I just feel like this game is emotional, powerful, fun, beautiful, deep, engaging, and just about every other positive adjective you could assign it. Metal Gear Solid 4 pulls you in and doesn't let you go until the final, final credits roll.

AleeN634

Wow MGS4 is still number 1. Glad to see that Valkyria Chronicles and Persona 4 made it onto the top 10 list as well. Surprised that my quote was used for the GTA IV blurb, but still it was fun seeing how opinions changed (or did not) after a few years.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Oddly, I still don't have any desire to play MGS4. And I think I played MGS3 for atleast 200 hours.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
God damn it GAF.

I don't know if I should praise you for being consistent or be mad at you for having fucking terrible taste.

Emwitus

Aw yeah. Valkyria Chronicles in the Top 10, and it even managed to beat Brawl. So close to the Top 5 too. Maybe next time.

Hilarious how MGS4 didn't even get the most negative votes. So much for the haters getting that as a consolation prize

Gears 2 and Fable II fans seem to have flown the coop.

Hahaha

EDIT: Looking also at the top 5 ps3 exclusives vote thread mgs4 still ranks at the top for a lot of people. The minority that hate are the most vocal it seems.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Maybe you guys would like MGS4 more if the cutscenes were esurance ads and Snake had a stupid tattoo on his face.

Would be better than Meryl proposing to the guy who shits his pants all the time while they're in the middle of a firefight.

Seriously, how could anybody on this planet look at a scene like that and say, "oh, I have no problem with what is going on here"?

jett

D-Member
Would be better than Meryl proposing to the guy who shits his pants all the time while they're in the middle of a firefight.

Seriously, how could anybody on this planet look at a scene like that and say, "oh, I have no problem with what is going on here"?

Or how about the half the ending is about that
butch beeatch and mr. chronic diarrhea getting married
? Let's not even mention the second half.

You can't defend this crap.

Haunted

11 out of 100

edit: wait, that's an actual IGN review quote? my god

Or how about the half the ending is about that
butch beeatch and mr. chronic diarrhea getting married
? Let's not even mention the second half.

You can't defend this crap.
Sure you can.

nanomachines

BeesEight

Well, im playing Mass Effect 2 right now, to crate my save for ME3, and im having a really fun time. Yeah, theres things I dont really like form the game, and things that could be changed, but I still really like it.

BUT I need to see again the list for that year. Im sure some games will change places in the one I do.

It's not really surprising. I see people who feel their game of choice is under attack more motivated to revote solely to keep its standing than those who don't. Also, there's a unified front for voting for these bigger games given their dedicated fanbase whereas the people who didn't like MGS4 weren't in agreement in what would be a more suitable replacement.

I would suspect that revotes on these big games will all have similar outcomes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Should be in the ToS.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Make it Mirror's Edge, and I agree. Also, make liking it a war crime.

You so butthurt, your tears are delicious. Same with jett's. MGS4's first two acts are amazing the next one is hugely shit, the fourth was okay until MOOCOW enemies appeared. Then the fifth was completely batshit bonkers in terms of story and very little gameplay.

It's a mixed bag, but it isn't as bad as MGS2.
Okay, it's worse.

Riposte

Does MGO factor into this? I liked it better than the single player component.

Also I'm happy MGS4 won. Learn to not appreciate voting results.

MGS4's story was terrible, but it's got the best gameplay of the entire series. I can see why people hate it, but it's still a damn fun game.

Great experiment - seems like many GAFers don't hate MGS4 and GTA IV after all, heh!

It's always been a small but very vocal group that make it seem like there's a ton of hate toward both games (as you can see in this thread). It's the same group of people that just can't accept that people like those games (specifically MGS4).

The top 5 is pretty awesome. Persona 4 in top 5 makes this revote justified to me! And Mirror's Edge #3 holy crap that's also great.

Fezan

I Played MGS4 today again...and yes the first t2o acts are fantastic...simply great game play still mostly unmatched...Not talking about graphics story or anything else just the tools and option it gives you..will play the rest tomorrow

NIGHT-

I can't understand the MGS4 love at all. It's like people played a different game than me.

This. Between the shitty cutscenes, horrible plot and terrible installs between every chapter, it's just a terrible experience all around. This coming from a huge MGS fan

Kusagari

It's always been a small but very vocal group that make it seem like there's a ton of hate toward both games (as you can see in this thread). It's the same group of people that just can't accept that people like those games (specifically MGS4).

Same thing with ME2. When we get the inevitable 2010 repeat it will win again and everyone will bitch.

Evlar

Banned
I am most pleased.

I agree with the "vocal minority of haters" comments. This is true of many of the things GAF is said to "hate". If the disgust were as common as the haters make it seem then discussion on these particular games would not occur as frequently or as heatedly.

Same thing with ME2. When we get the inevitable 2010 repeat it will win again and everyone will bitch.

I'm not even sure why people have issues with ME2's win since it was released in January. People had more than enough time to really decide on how much they like that game.

Truth. I don't believe anyone truly enjoys the game. At the back of the mind of every MGS4 "fan" is a niggling doubt that their "fun" isn't real and they're suffering the experience because it has the title MGS and it's a PS3 exclusive.

I love MGS 1 -3. I bought my PS3 for MGS4. I was on the hype train 110% and when I first played it I tried to kid myself into thinking it wasn't that bad. Thankfully, I realised it was okay to call it out as a piece of shit and was a better man because of it.

ME2 isn't as good as the first game, but it's still a good game. There's no controversy there. Whereas MGS4 is a steaming pile of shit in literally every aspect. It's inexcusable to me that a place like GAF feels it's okay to champion it. Proof for me you should know a poster before you trust their opinions.

Evlar

Banned
Truth. I don't believe anyone truly enjoys the game. At the back of the mind of every MGS4 "fan" is a niggling doubt that their "fun" isn't real and they're suffering the experience because it has the title MGS and it's a PS3 exclusive.

I love MGS 1 -3. I bought my PS3 for MGS4. I was on the hype train 110% and when I first played it I tried to kid myself into thinking it wasn't that bad. Thankfully, I realised it was okay to call it out as a piece of shit and was a better man because of it.

Ahahaha.

Top Bottom