• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: FBI refused White House request to knock down recent Trump-Russia stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

Banned
I mean, don't trump's tweets basically confirm that they did try to knock down the story?

If he thinks it's true its leakers

If he thinks it's false its FAKE NEWS

He thinks the leakers are fake news actually. But yes, he's been constantly confirming the leaks are real.

Wilsongt

Trump is losing it. He can't keep this trickle of information from getting out to the public. Nothing but a stready stream of rants about the IC since all of this mess began. I sure do hope the flood gates open soon and the FBI empties itself all over Trump and flushes him, Bannon, and Stephen right into the septic tank.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I don't get the Republican angle here...are they just hoping to get as much of their agenda done before this whole administration comes crumbling down and they get slaughtered in the midterms? Or are they trying to delay so that this shit happens afterward so they get 4 years in before being slaughtered? Because their heads are all going to roll when the level of corruption and collusion they've participated in comes out.

I hope...

I think a possibility is that Comey figured Trump would still lose, but the scandals would hurt Clinton during her presidency and pave the way for the Republicans in 2020. After what they thought would be severe damage to the Democrats and ensuring they would get and retain power in 2020 and beyond. They're timetable was just sped up with Trump and he us not the person they obviously had in mind when they regained control. Definitely a long game which partly backfired for them as they blew their load too early.

To be fair, the only thing McCabe supposedly denied on the story was how much info the FBI had on the contacts. Not that the entire story was bogus. Also McCabe denies discussing the investigation with Priebus but does say a conversation occurred between the two of them. This isn't even getting into the gritty details of reports of the IC keeping info from Trump. There is also the possibility that they aren't trying to alarm Trump and Co. to how much info they have, in case of Trump taking more drastic measures.
Ah this makes more sense.

I don't get the Republican angle here...are they just hoping to get as much of their agenda done before this whole administration comes crumbling down and they get slaughtered in the midterms? Or are they trying to delay so that this shit happens afterward so they get 4 years in before being slaughtered? Because their heads are all going to roll when the level of corruption and collusion they've participated in comes out.

I hope...

You know when you're at a buffet and you want to eat everything but you're worried about what happens if you do

They ate too much in like ten minutes

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Michael Ian Black‏@michaelianblack

Trump today: "I have nothing to do with Russia which is why we must stop the FBI leaks proving I did."

Barry Goldwater was not a traitor to his nation, running with the goal of actively working against his country's best interests.

And let's remember, just for the record, that there's no way Comey could have known with any degree of certainty that Trump would actually win. Predicting the whims of voters isn't the FBI's job, and it was likely as much of a surprise to them as it was everyone else.

To not throw all of this work away the moment the election was decided and shout "What are you doing?! We think this guy is a traitor!" is an immense show of constraint, provided these accusations have merit.

Even if Trump is impeached, people will still vote for Republicans as long as the party keeps offering lower taxes or opposing abortions. The Republican party bounced back from actively lying to get us into a war, and they'll bounce back from one guy being in cahoots with Russia.

It's not the FBI's job to do what Comey did, either. His current silence isn't indicative of restraint when he was so eager to blab about vague new evidence in the email investigation. If he didn't have the foresight to see that his actions would have an impact in the short term, he can't have the foresight to see what's going to happen to the Republicans in that long term. So if he is playing the long game against the Republicans, the most generous thing I can say about him is that he's dangerously unfit to do so.

Magwik

Banned
You know when you're at a buffet and you want to eat everything but you're worried about what happens if you do

They ate too much in like ten minutes
It's more like being at wedding reception. You are really fucking hungry and only have so much time before you go home, so you hog the chocolate fountain and all of the other sweets while trying not to shit yourself.

Maybe the cold medicine is clouding my mind but I'm not seeing the big deal with this story.

This is the summary as I understand it:

* Several outlets report that members and associates of the Trump campaign had sustained contacts with Russians associated with or part of Russian Intelligence.

* The names get released.

* Those named Trump campaign officials deny the allegations entirely.

* Priebus is questioned about the allegations, repeats that they are 100% false, and says that he was told by a very senior (but unnamed) source that the story is complete BS and that investigators know its BS. Priebus makes the point that anonymous sources are fine when providing background and context, but not for serious allegations.

* Story comes out that Priebus talked to the FBI to get them to go on background stating that the story is BS.

So, if those allegations of campaign contact with Russian intelligence were actually false or seriously misstated, and Priebus was told as much by a senior official at the FBI this all makes sense. As far as I know there has been no new reporting that helps confirm the story of these contacts. We have whats been reported on on one side, and complete public denials on the other, and nothing has changed.

If the allegations are true and the administration is lying, those public denials would come back to bite everyone involved. But again, there hasn't been any new reporting on the veracity of those contacts since. And this part sticks in my craw. Those allegations are huge, and the reporting was supposedly well sourced - which means something royally stinks here, but the second shoe hasn't dropped, and we're all left in limbo as regards that story.

Now if the story here is that Priebus shouldn't have spoken to the FBI about this, yeah, thats a story, but I don't think it would have been dramatically different if Pence or the White House counsel had had the discussion rather than Priebus, since those two are allowed to discuss current investigations with the DOJ.

Again, I'm medicated, but I do have doubts about the story of those contacts as reported since the very public and complete denials that have been left unanswered. What am I missing here?

RinsFury

I hope that Trump, Bannon, and the rest of those Russia colluding fucks all recieve the harshest penalty for treason. Fuck them all.

rambis

Banned
Maybe the cold medicine is clouding my mind but I'm not seeing the big deal with this story.

* Several outlets report that members and associates of the Trump campaign had sustained contacts with Russians associated with or part of Russian Intelligence.

* Priebus is questioned about the allegations, repeats that they are 100% false, and says that he was told by a very senior (but unnamed) source that the story is complete BS and that investigators know its BS. Priebus makes the point that anonymous sources are fine when providing background and context, but not for serious allegations.

* Story comes out that Priebus talked to the FBI to get them to go on background stating that the story is BS.

So, if those allegations of campaign contact with Russian intelligence were actually false or seriously misstated, and Priebus was told as much by a senior official at the FBI this all makes sense. As far as I know there has been no new reporting that helps confirm the story of these contacts. We have whats been reported on on one side, and complete public denials on the other, and nothing has changed.

If the allegations are true and the administration is lying, those public denials would come back to bite everyone involved. But again, there hasn't been any new reporting on the veracity of those contacts since. And this part sticks in my craw. Those allegations are huge, and the reporting was supposedly well sourced - which means something royally stinks here, but the second shoe hasn't dropped, and we're all left in limbo as regards that story.

Now if the story here is that Priebus shouldn't have spoken to the FBI about this, yeah, thats a story, but I don't think it would have been dramatically different if Pence or the White House counsel had had the discussion rather than Priebus, since those two are allowed to discuss current investigations with the DOJ.

Again, I'm medicated, but I do have doubts about the story of those contacts as reported sine the very public and very complete denials that have been left unanswered. What am I missing here?
From everything Ive read they've yet to come to a conclusion about the leaks and the investigation is still ongoing. The Trump admin's denial mean nothing, the FBI as far as I know have not pubically spoke on material matters of this investigation one way or the other and every thing we get from MSM is "leaked". I wouldn't put so much thought into this until soemthing is actually released because for the most part the details we have we shouldnt have had in the first place.

Really Trump's Twitter tirades are the only thing thats helping us determine how real or true these stories are.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Again, I'm medicated, but I do have doubts about the story of those contacts as reported since the very public and complete denials that have been left unanswered. What am I missing here?

Other than the fact that the contact does not appear to be bogus according to CNN, NYC and WaPo. Also, contacting the FBI who is currently investigating the executive branch to try and get them to comment publicly in your favor about said investigation is illegal. It is extremely similar behavior to what got Nixon out of office (except Nixon actually tried to fire the person leading the investigation into Watergate)

Could you imagine if Lynch, Obama or anyone in that administration had contacted the FBI to try and get them to clear Hillary Clintons name publicly instead of allowing for an independent investigation.

This is an abuse of power, and is specifically illegal because of the very clear need for the ability for law enforcement to investigate the executive branch without having political pressure applied to them.

cackhyena

Great. Another protocol this administration will break with little to no repercussions.

This is exausting.

Nothing will come of this like everything else. People want him out so badly and quick, and I get it, but we have to ride it out. Voting Dems back in the majority of The House is the first step.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I thought the Director of the FBI answered to the Attorney General? How is Jeff Sessions unable to get the agency to comply with the White House's request?

The AG is supposed to maintain independence from the Presidency. Of course, Sessions is so far up Trumps ass that will never happen.

The thing that's so crazy about all of this to me is there is absolutely no question, not a single one, that Trump has extensive business and personal ties to Russia. He and Putin have both in the past described having a loose friendship in the media and he traveled there frequently for business interests in the 2000s.

What is the point in trying to act as if none of that is true now as opposed to trying to instead downplay all of the "Manchurian Candidate" conspiracy theories as being silly? I'd say this is some kind of long game to make his detractors look silly like Obama did with the birth certificate issue but no one in the White House seems smart enough or nuanced for that kind of game.

giphy.gif

Lautaro

He's panicking and that gets him closer and closer to whoever gives him validation... wild speculation time: he's going to endorse or mention pizzagate one of these days.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Not saying I disagree, but if that were true, why not just ask sessions to make the request.

Same reason they didn't have lawyers go over the EOs. Gross incompetence and hubris.

We've got a 70 year old reality TV show host as president and a web tabloid editor as his chief strategist. These guys can't even call Australia without tripping all over themselves.

This isn't 12th dimensional chess, it's literally just unqualified people being in over their heads.

Lifeline

Even if Comey supports Trump he would have to decline this request, as its directly against procedure and would escalate the issue further.

I wouldn't take this to mean Comey-Trump relations aren't good.

Nerazar

FAKE NEWS!

The FBI's ratings are at an all-time low! I won the Electoral College in the biggest victory in 700 years!

It will be the biggest win for 1000 years! Great Leader Trump wins bigly, always!

@story:

Now I'm confused... so the FBI really is not a servant of the Trump administration? That's some 4D chess here...

He's panicking and that gets him closer and closer to whoever gives him validation... wild speculation time: he's going to endorse or mention pizzagate one of these days.

Go on r/t_d, they are already saying that he and his administration are hinting at it by talking about human and child trafficking recently.

There is some video going around that supposedly you can hear Podesta abusing a child. It's crazy.

Lautaro

Go on r/t_d, they are already saying that he and his administration are hinting at it by talking about human and child trafficking recently.

There is some video going around that supposedly you can hear Podesta abusing a child. It's crazy.

I visited t_d several times already, that's why I say it. He already believes in illegal votes so I can see him going more into conspiracy territory only because those nutjobs are the only ones that praise him without question.

Its just a matter of time (and pressure) in my opinion.

Glix

Other than the fact that the contact does not appear to be bogus according to CNN, NYC and WaPo. Also, contacting the FBI who is currently investigating the executive branch to try and get them to comment publicly in your favor about said investigation is illegal. It is extremely similar behavior to what got Nixon out of office (except Nixon actually tried to fire the person leading the investigation into Watergate)

Could you imagine if Lynch, Obama or anyone in that administration had contacted the FBI to try and get them to clear Hillary Clintons name publicly instead of allowing for an independent investigation.

This is an abuse of power, and is specifically illegal because of the very clear need for the ability for law enforcement to investigate the executive branch without having political pressure applied to them.

Don't forget, they went fucking apoplectic about the Bill/Loretta tarmac thing.

”I think it's so terrible, I think it's so horrible," Trump told conservative talk radio host Mike Gallagher. ”I think it's the biggest story, one of the big stories of this week, of this month, of this year."

Trump, who said the meeting "was really a sneak," went on to say it was evidence of ”the rigged system" and showed poor judgment.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

I hope...

if thats the case, they're doing a shit ass job of it. They haven't passed much of anything since the new session. Have they even sent a single bill to Trump to sign? For the six years they bitched about repealing obama care, you would think they would have had a solution ready, even if they didnt, after they found out Trump won they could have come up with something in between Nov 9th and Jan 20th.

And of course the talking points came out of the republican enclave last week, I saw Ann Coulter, Hannity and one other conservative jackass say things like "trumps moving at lighting speed, but where's republican congress?" When in reality Trumps done very little.

mjc

I can't help but feel like the banning of news outlets is a deflect to keep people off the trail of this news.

Jeels

This is so obvious and so much worse than Bill and Loretta having a conversation passing one another...but nobody gives a crap and it isn't being overeported...

chadskin

WaPo is reporting the White House's attempts to shoot down the story went beyond the FBI:

The Trump administration has enlisted senior members of the intelligence community and Congress in efforts to counter news stories about Trump associates’ ties to Russia, a politically charged issue that has been under investigation by the FBI as well as lawmakers now defending the White House.

Acting at the behest of the White House, the officials made calls to news organizations last week in attempts to challenge stories about alleged contacts between members of President Trump’s campaign team and Russian intelligence operatives, U.S. officials said.
The decision to involve those officials could be perceived as threatening the independence of U.S. spy agencies that are supposed to remain insulated from partisan issues, as well as undercutting the credibility of ongoing congressional probes. Those officials saw their involvement as an attempt to correct coverage they believed to be erroneous.

The effort also involved senior lawmakers with access to classified intelligence about Russia, including Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) and Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), the chairmen of the Senate and House intelligence committees. Through a spokesman, Nunes confirmed that he had spoken to at least one reporter “at the request of a White House communications aide.”

In an interview, Burr acknowledged that he “had conversations about” Russia-related news reports with the White House and engaged with news organizations to dispute articles by the New York Times and CNN that alleged “repeated” or “constant” contact between Trump campaign members and Russian intelligence operatives.

“I’ve had those conversations,” Burr said, adding that he regarded the contacts as appropriate provided that “I felt I had something to share that didn’t breach my responsibilities to the committee in an ongoing investigation.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...487552-fa99-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom