• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:

aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/ / Tide of Shadows and Other Stories
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Hop: The Latte Segment
Plasticine Live Undead
UCBooties Trumpocalypse
whatevermort: The Explorer; No Harm Can Come to a Good Man; Long Dark Dusk by James Smythe

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)
History Books

General/Fiction
Recommend me books with pretty prose
I need a book
Essential books for a non-reader
Page turners (suspense)
Recommend me Historical Novels
What are your favorite books?
Recommend Me a Book and I'll Read It
Short stories
Spy & Espionage Fiction
Reading is .. Fun?
Philosophical Fiction
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Novels with great world building
Non-western literature
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading

Sci-fi/Fantasy
Stephen King Books
Recommend a book that feels like Dark Souls
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books
Cyberpunk (Note: Not just book recommendations)
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Literature
Epic Fantasy
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Post-apocalpytic Books
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Horror
Vampire Lore
Modern Literary Horror Fiction
Can books be scary?
Horror Fiction
Scary Books

Audiobooks
Audiobook recommendations
Help me choose books from Audible
Great audiobooks
What's your favorite audiobook?

Explore
Reddit's Favorite Books Published in 2016
Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
Goodreads 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (January 2017)
What are you reading? (December 2016)
What are you reading? (November 2016)
What are you reading? (October 2016)
What are you reading? (September 2016)
What are you reading? (August 2016)
What are you reading? (July 2016)
What are you reading? (June 2016)
What are you reading? (May 2016)
What are you reading? (April 2016)
What are you reading? (March 2016)
What are you reading? (February 2016)
What are you reading? (January 2016)
What are you reading? (December 2015)
What are you reading? (November 2015)
What are you reading? (October 2015)
What are you reading? (September 2015)
What are you reading? (August 2015)
What are you reading? (July 2015)
What are you reading? (June 2015)
What are you reading? (May 2015)
What are you reading? (April 2015)
What are you reading? (March 2015)
What are you reading? (February 2015)
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
subscribing before trump bans books xd

Sean C

Pictures%20at%20a%20Revolution_zpsamah8sya.jpg

This is a widely praised book about Hollywood history in cinephile circles, one that I had put off reading for a while as I hadn't yet seen the five films at the centre of the narrative; after seeing four of them, and feeling no particular desire to watch Doctor Dolittle (something that actually reading the book did nothing to alter, one should add), I thought this was the time. Picture at a Revolution lives up to its reputation, being all at the same time a behind the scenes account of making the five films, as well as a history of the changes in the broader Hollywood studio system at the time, and the tastes of American audiences. It's a fascinating snapshot of a time when the studio system was becoming increasingly moribund, and audiences, at least of a certain sort, were turning more to European cinema for sophistication and maturity in its content. The era in Hollywood that was heralded in 1967 really ended within a decade, but its imprint was indelible. I don't personally care for The Graduate nearly as much as Harris and the general critical consensus does, but it's easy to see why it was considered important. The various actors and other creators are sketched in interesting strokes, with Sidney Poitier's dilemma as the only black star in Hollywood (and the way he was increasingly out of step with the more radical voices in the black community, even as he became beloved by white audiences) being the most interesting from a socio-political standpoint. And then there's a lot of detail that is just entertaining, particularly the travails that went into the making of Doctor Dolittle.

Holiday

Banned
I'm reading Ezra Pound's Cantos, currently about 25 in. Often opaque, often captivating. I wish I read Italian though lol.

I also just got a collection of Lovecraft stories. I've never read a word of his before, so I'm excited to jump in.

Regiruler

Currently in Mistborn book 3.

So people who have read Mistborn book 2, a question regarding a fight about 2/3rds of the way through:
Zane used duralumin to superburn Steel to counter Vin's duralumin steel. However, a page later he pins her on the ceiling with a Steelpush. Was it implied Zane had another vial or did Sanderson not really pay attention?

New Year's NeoGAF Writing Challenge is eating into my ability to get more reading done. I'm halfway through Part 1 of To Green Angel Tower by Tad Williams.

It's entirely possible that between To Green Angel Tower Part 1 and Part 2, The Heart of What Was Lost and The Witchwood Crown that the only books I'll read this year will be Tad Williams books set in Osten Ard.

finished white teeth, which i liked a lot, but felt a little longer than it needed to be.

started:

too early to really say. language can be a little tricky, even though i have a rudimentary knowledge of russian.

kevin1025

Banned
Still reading Swan Song by Robert McCammon (I know, I know!), but I'm getting there. It hit a bit of a lull for me so I trailed off for a bit there and started reading other stuff. Now I'm back on track.

I am also reading Half the World by Joe Abercrombie. I read the first book when it first came out and never got back to the series till now. He's my favorite fantasy author so I'm going all in and finishing this series off while also finishing Swan Song. Since they're shorter it's a nice palette cleanser, of sorts.

Wrapped up The Gunslinger. Loved every damn page in that book.

Finishing up The Name of the Wind. I have not lived every damn page in the book. Among the slowest books I've read in years. It took 100 pages to basically start the story, and it's hasn't exactly been a barn burner in the 400 pages since.

Also tackling the second Witcher book while I play part 3 on my PS4. I'm digging the world so much. I'm likely going to read the whole series this year.

I'm currently reading both Guards! Guards! and Prince of Thorns. The hilariousness of the former is a nice balance for the nastiness of the latter. Prince Jorg is one wicked dude but he's so smooth about it. It's nice reading some short fantasy novels (especially since I've got Way of Kings and Wise Man's Fear sitting on my desk).

Pau

I only read one book last month: The Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver. It was honestly a bit of a slog to get through. I haven't really found myself motivated to pick up anything else. And I have about two hundred books on my Goodreads to read list. :(

Mumei

Hopefully Xena also reads this thread:

With the recent events going on nowadays, what are good non-fiction books to read about what's going on? In another thread someone mentioned The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. What are your recommendations?

I made a post over the weekend about one broad subject...

badrang

41iv6YZfU3L.jpg

61OCvx9UU3L._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

images

My beta, liberal cuck, black lies month reading list. I'm a lvl 69 race traitor, specializes in white genocide and virtue signaling.

aravuus

Still reading Harry Potter. Real life has gotten in the way and I'm still at book three.

Also I'm hopefully getting Alastair's Revelation Space books in Finnish on friday, which will probably dominate my reading time. Tried reading the first one in English but too many small details were lost on me due to, well, me not being good enough in English, I guess.

JonnyKong

I'm halfway through Before The Fall by Noah Hawley, great stuff so far.

Then again I always think whatever books I read are great, I think I'm quite easily pleased when it comes to books, but I'm very picky for all other types of media.

finished white teeth, which i liked a lot, but felt a little longer than it needed to be.

started:

too early to really say. language can be a little tricky, even though i have a rudimentary knowledge of russian.

You'll realize out of nowhere that you somehow became fluent in Nadsat. Enjoy!

Current read:

Fear_and_Loathing_in_Las_Vegas.jpg

E-flux

I have been reading parts about the hobbit and lord of the rings in the Atlas of middle earth,
super interesting stuff in my mind.
92003._UY499_SS499_.jpg

I also got a bunch of books from work and one of them was the children's fairy tale book that Rowling made, Beetle the bard, it's cute how it is tied to the potter world so if you are a potter fan i suggest giving it a read, shouldn't take longer than an hour to get through.

besada

Banned
I'm reading an excellent book by Bruce Sterling, The Caryatids. It takes place in a post-collapse society, both ecologically and politically. After the collapse of our system, a two party global society is set up -- The Dispensationists and the Acquis. The Acquis are basically geoengineers, rebuilding the planet to stop a complete and final ecological collapse. The Dispensationists are capitalists, creating revenue they trade with the Acquis to rebuild their wrecked territories. Most nation-states are consumed.

In the midst of this, a brilliant woman has cloned herself multiple times and fled to orbit. The book follows the various clones, on both sides of the political divide, doing great things on a planet that's drowning and starving, while slowly working through the story of their "mother" and their creation.

Good stuff, particularly if you're interested in ecological scifi.

Finishing up The Name of the Wind. I have not lived every damn page in the book. Among the slowest books I've read in years. It took 100 pages to basically start the story, and it's hasn't exactly been a barn burner in the 400 pages since.

Man are you in for a treat when you get to the middle section of the 2nd book...

tariniel

I just finished reading The Blade Itself, first book the First Law trilogy. I liked it quite a bit and will most likely move on to the 2nd book whenever I feel like reading something again.

I've also been considering reading the Witcher books since I enjoyed Witcher 3 a lot. Dune has also been on my to-read list for a long time.

Xena

Hopefully Xena also reads this thread:

I made a post over the weekend about one broad subject...

Thank you Mumei, I'll definitely check these books out. I want to be the best informed as I can, so that hopefully I can better talk to friends and family about current events.

I know we allow a little bit of horn-tooting in here, so I'll keep this brief. The Writing-GAF thread is working on a New Year's Resolution where several folks have signed up to try and write a novella (30K+ words) per month for the first three months of the year.

I'm gonna try and take the challenge to the next level by writing a novella each of the months this year (so 12 for those of you counting at home), all tied into the same story structure, of a monk documenting a boy's journey to become a knight by completing 12 tasks his father (who is a knight) has given him. That's a pretty basic background for you.

My first novella went up on Amazon last night/this morning, so if you're so inclined to either pick it up or check it out via the Look Inside or use Kindle Unlimited, I'd be grateful. Obviously would love feedback as well, here or via PM. Thanks, all!

Here's the link to .

61OCvx9UU3L._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My beta, liberal cuck, black lies month reading list. I'm a lvl 69 race traitor, specializes in white genocide and virtue signaling.

Easily one of the best books Ive ever read.

On my way to the library as we speak to pick up Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Its going to be my first time reading it and I hope they have it.

I know we allow a little bit of horn-tooting in here, so I'll keep this brief. The Writing-GAF thread is working on a New Year's Resolution where several folks have signed up to try and write a novella (30K+ words) per month for the first three months of the year.

I'm gonna try and take the challenge to the next level by writing a novella each of the months this year (so 12 for those of you counting at home), all tied into the same story structure, of a monk documenting a boy's journey to become a knight by completing 12 tasks his father (who is a knight) has given him. That's a pretty basic background for you.

My first novella went up on Amazon last night/this morning, so if you're so inclined to either pick it up or check it out via the Look Inside or use Kindle Unlimited, I'd be grateful. Obviously would love feedback as well, here or via PM. Thanks, all!

Here's the link to .

Purchased!

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Ship of Magic!

519kldRQDsL._SX303_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's a bit like Pirates of the Caribbean meets HP lovecraft style baddies, with a hearty dash of colonialism-era historical fiction. It's really fucking good, but a bit slow at times. It fleshes out Robin Hobb's world begun in the Farseer Trilogy, so if you are a fan of those books, you should def check this trilogy out before moving on to other Fitz trilogies.

So far, the story virtually stands on its own. You could probably read it on its own, except there are some fairly brief but substantial spoilers for the Farseer trilogy. So far there has been no character overlap, but I'm loving the entirely new cast. Wintrow and Kennit especially...

Def read Assassin's Apprentice if you haven't already. Does anyone else have this love-hate relationship with Hobb? I love 50% of her writing, but the other 50% feels slow as molasses.

Ron Mexico

Taking a break from the longer stuff to blitz through Assholes: A Theory

Well worth a read, especially in today's environment.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
About halfway through Altered Carbon, and I find myself highlighting a sentence or paragraph every few pages. Richard Morgan is an incredible writer with extremely evocative prose and imagery. Some examples:

Marooned in the glow on benches of old wood, a scattering of humanity waited in silence for friends or family to ride in from their altered carbon exiles.

Goddamn.

The Nemex (a type of weapon, FYI) was in my right hand like a decision taken.

Fuck yeah.

What little cheap exotic mystique had clung to the place by night was gone now. The neon and holosigns were bleached out, pinned on the building like a garish brooch on an old gown.

For the first couple of moments all you can see is someone else looking at you through a window frame. Then, like a shift in focus, you feel yourself float rapidly up behind the mask and adhere to its inside with a shock that's almost tactile.

Lawd.

Finished: The Winter Over
9 months on the South Pole, stuff happens, everybody freaks, etc. Quick and decent enough read, but not anything special.

31815415.jpg

brawly

I'm about 50 pages into Tower Lord (Blood Song sequel) and I'm quitting it for now. I really can't remember much of the first book and even after reading a synopsis I feel lost and disinterested (though I dig the writing style, still).

How do you guys do it? It's only been a few months since I've read Blood Song but I can't even imagine reading a sequel a year later or longer.

I'll give Red Skied Under Red Seas (Locke Lamorra sequel) a go but I imagine it'll be the same thing. I'm thinking about really focusing on a series of books and at the most have one other book inbetween.

fakefaker

Wrapped up The Ark Sakura by Kōbō Abe and now can't wait to jump into Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer.

too-like-the-lightning.jpg

Mutley

Neo Member
Recently finished:

514VBCKNEFL.jpg

First Ray Bradbury book as well. Beautiful writer. So poetically written with the hypernormalisation of behaviour not brought by the government but willingly done in a world of consumerism constantly needing to be entertained. Bradbury was a known luddite though, always a sceptic of technology and media which can bring about positive changes too but the world in which he creates has very similar parallels to ours.

Now reading:

b]

I'm reading Leviathan Wakes, by James S. A. Corey. I've been loving the Expanse TV series, and had just re-watched it in preparation for season 2. When I finished, I wanted more, so I started on the first book. I'm enjoying it so far, though I'm only a short way into it so far.

Bazza

Reading the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, had a long old wait at the Hospital yesterday so managed to finish the 1st and 2nd books. A very weird but fun series so far.

Mastadon

Banned
Finally finished up Great Expectations. I enjoyed it for the most part, but good lord the middle part of the book drags. Took me far longer than normal to get through it.

Next up:

znNvASJ.jpg

Necrovex

I'll probably finish up A Brave New World tonight. I'm not liking it much. Not clicking with me at all. Thankfully it's a short book, and I'm already 70 percent done with it, so I'll power through the remaining content. Looking at reading the third Witcher book, and the Pelican introduction to Human Evolution as my non fiction. Reminds me to report I completed Bad Science. One hell of a book, which I feel would have resonated more if I was a British citizen (his points ring true globally, but he used British media to reinforce his thesis).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom