• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jordan Peele's Get Out - 100% at RT after 136 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

vypek

Not usually into horror but the strong reviews are making me consider this. As well as the discussion about it and other horror movies with black characters on the code switch podcast

gfxtwin

DAMN. Love K&P but the previews gave me a modern day grindhouse/B-movie vibe - a cheesy but fun premise. Seems like there might be a lot more to it than the trailer lets on though, so I'm hyped to check it out this weekend.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
DAMN. Love K&P but the previews gave me a modern day grindhouse/B-movie vibe - a cheesy but fun premise. Seems like there might be a lot more to it than the trailer lets on though, so I'm hyped to check it out this weekend.

It actually has something to say than being a film existing for the sake of the ride.

Hope this isn't as overrated as Babadook.

I hope it's not as overrated as Don't Breathe

I mean, you guys can dislike a thing a large majority of people liked without that thing being "overrated."

It's just rated.

Your disagreement doesn't somehow change the scale.

hell, "overrated" isn't even a criticism of a film. It's a criticism of the film's audience for not being better at liking things.

rec0ded1

Just watched it. Good shit. Found myself thinking "wow this is great but a little slow" then shit got reallll. Haven't been creeped out like this in a while.

Blumhouse tends to over edit their trailers with lots of jump cuts and loud noises.

I think people are overstating the horror aspect of the movie if you can't handle horror, from the sounds of things it can be viewed as a more intense thriller.

As someone who loves horror, in terms of scares and not gore (Gore has legit pretty much never scared me, just grossed me out) how does this rank?

Is it more fuck with your mind and freak you out, or just yet another gore fest?

FTF

Wow, that it's still 100% after 96 reviews is really impressive. I was sold on the trailers so def looking forward to seeing this.

BlueTsunami

As someone who loves horror, in terms of scares and not gore (Gore has legit pretty much never scared me, just grossed me out) how does this rank?

Is it more fuck with your mind and freak you out, or just yet another gore fest?

Its 97% what you want

Goldboy

Awesome, this movie looked interesting based on the trailer I saw. Going to be tough deciding between this and John Wick 2 next time I go to the theater.

Its 97% what you want

Ok that's fine then. Don't get me wrong I can take some gore. There's plenty of movies or shows I like that feature some of it, but it just really bothers me when something is labeled as a thriller or horror and basically just relies on nothing but the gore without much in the way of actual scares / freaky shit. Gore shock is easy, and anyone can do it, legit terror actually takes work.

So if this is mostly a thriller with just some gore used to add to it, and not depend on it I'm interested for sure

BlueTsunami

Ok that's fine then. Don't get me wrong I can take some gore. There's plenty of movies or shows I like that feature some of it, but it just really bothers me when something is labeled as a thriller or horror and basically just relies on nothing but the gore without much in the way of actual scares / freaky shit. Gore shock is easy, and anyone can do it, legit terror actually takes work.

So if this is mostly a thriller with just some gore used to add to it, and not depend on it I'm interested for sure

Gore is in here but its miniscule, maybe even less than the percentage I gave. The meat of the film is definitely as a thriller. Its where the comparisons to The Shining come from, I believe.

Tankard

jordan-peele.jpg

At first I was only mildly interested in the film, but now I'm genuinely ready to go see this as soon as possible. Insane that this still has a 100% on RT, especially with the subject matter in it.

At first I was only mildly interested in the film, but now I'm genuinely ready to go see this as soon as possible. Insane that this still has a 100% on RT, especially with the subject matter in it.

The more impressive part isn't just the high tomato score it's the fact it's high tomatoes score with a weighted review average of 8.2; essentially the movie is getting plenty of 4 to 5 star reviews across the board critically.

"The man responsible for this film genuinely believes that this is an accurate representation of the greatest threat faced by black men. That would be laughable it was not downright wrong. This is nothing but Alt-Left racist propaganda. This is the antithesis of what uniting people means. "

-danielcastaneda-35512

damn daniel

imbd user review.

Prompto

Banned
"The man responsible for this film genuinely believes that this is an accurate representation of the greatest threat faced by black men. That would be laughable it was not downright wrong. This is nothing but Alt-Left racist propaganda. This is the antithesis of what uniting people means. "

-danielcastaneda-35512

damn daniel

imbd user review.
"Alt-left"
lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom