• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

In the COOP video covering Scribblenauts they show something which looks like a save file selection screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfmzGJA6FRw

2lm56bl.png

I guess those could be something else, but yeah. It sure does look like two save files.

Either way it's no big deal. One file for a puzzle game like this is MORE than enough. To the guy worried about people solving your levels..don't be. You play through the level once, then 3 more times in an advance mode where you can't reuse items you used for that level. After that you unlock it, thus being able to do whatever you want to it.

Unicorn

WowBaby said:
The whole reason i got interested in this game.

Prior to reading his account, i saw images and just thought, "Oh great! ANOTHER novelty game of 'use your own imagination to solve puzzles' like all those games where you draw triangles for ramps or gimmicky gameplay like that." I was expecting a super shallow index of words with little flexroom for people with more than a 3rd grade education.

Then i read post #217.

robot zombies? cool
rayguns? sweet.
an actual time machine in the game? lolwut!
it fucking works? JESUS CHRIST FLIPPING HAMBURGERS OUTSIDE MY WINDOW!!!
does it solve his dilemma? SWEET LORD!

This was my face after reading his personal account:
1234071211233.gif

Blizzard

Banned
ryan-ts said:
So I've wanted to know, will Napoleon Bonaparte be in the game?
He's not in the preview version (and you wouldn't expect him to be, he's a proper noun), but a napoleon sandwich (pastry?) is.

Jackson

http://dailynintendo.com/new-videos-show-scribblenauts-flawed-gameplay

For some strange reason, the magic carpet and jetpack didn’t fly when they needed to. As for the pterodactyl, the collision detection between the giant bird and avatar is just plain shoddy.

Hey maybe if that guy actually played the game before he wrote a news article on the gameplay he'd know that Jetpack and Magic carpet DO fly, they just have a cool down timer between uses (individual timer of course) so people think creatively to reach small high places.

And maybe he'd know that AI doesn't collide with each other at all, because if it did you'd be really annoyed when all the AI was blocking where Maxwell was trying to move to. Instead, AI sorts through each other... However, if the guy wanted Maxwell to ride the pterodactyl, because he can, all he'd need to do is tap it and Maxwell would instantly ride it.

I absolutely 100% have no problem with criticism (ask other journos how I am about their reviews and scores I've gotten). But that criticism has to be true for me to be cool about it. Ya know?

razdor2k said:
JACKSON! i got an answer, is there going to be more then 1 Profile in this game? its really needed. please answer!

2 profiles

Blizzard

Banned
Jackson said:
2 profiles

Welcome back, Jackson! *insert flood of questions regarding the word "avalanche" and the "20-24 items" claim, and polite notification that your avatar is broken, along with the Scribblenauts website which doesn't feature a second trailer* :D

Also, I agree about that guy basically making a review without having even played the game. I'm a huge Scribblenauts fan and I'm sure even I will have minor things I'm unhappy about, but making a "review" based on testing videos he watched is pretty silly.

Unicorn

Awesome news Jackson. You and your team have pulled an amazing creation out of some hard work and ingenuity.

I just want to congratulate you on making something really amazing and thank you for making it!

Jackson

Blizzard said:
Welcome back, Jackson! *insert flood of questions regarding the word "avalanche" and the "20-24 items" claim, and polite notification that your avatar is broken, along with the Scribblenauts website which doesn't feature a second trailer* :D

An Avalanche isn't an object it's "a large mass of snow, ice, etc., detached from a mountain slope and sliding or falling suddenly downward."

That's an event.

If you ask why we have tsunami then? Because we like to break our own rules to push as much stuff as we can in the game. But the rules still stay :)

Scribblenauts website is owned by WB now, so it's up to them to deal with it, which I'm sure they will.

20-24 words depends on the object, I've stated in interviews before Marius that the bar is dynamic, so there's no hardset limit it just depends on how complex the object is. :D

Unicorn said:
Awesome news Jackson. You and your team have pulled an amazing creation out of some hard work and ingenuity.

I just want to congratulate you on making something really amazing and thank you for making it!

Thanks dude, everyone at 5TH Cell appreciates all the talk the game is getting from fans and press. :D

Blizzard

Banned
Jackson said:
An Avalanche isn't an object it's "a large mass of snow, ice, etc., detached from a mountain slope and sliding or falling suddenly downward."

That's an event.

If you ask why we have tsunami then? Because we like to break our own rules to push as much stuff as we can in the game. But the rules still stay :)

Scribblenauts website is owned by WB now, so it's up to them to deal with it, which I'm sure they will. :)

20-24 words depends on the object, I've stated in interviews before Marius that the bar is dynamic, so there's no hardset limit it just depends on how complex the object is. :D

Thanks dude, everyone at 5TH Cell appreciates all the talk the game is getting from fans and press. :D
Perfectly stated. I just wanted to pester you to see what your line of reasoning was, and it makes sense. :) Thank you!

Gotcha, I was going to ask how you managed to upload your avatar to the WB website before, but I see things transferred ownership so to speak.

I definitely remember the object bar being dynamic, but most any item we've seen so far takes up a good bit of the bar. I guess if you did something like "toothpick" you could do a bunch of them. :D Thanks very much again for taking the trouble to answer my questions!

Unicorn

I was wondering about the level editor, Jackson. Do we start with an empty room and add objects? Do the objects we add have separate bar to fill up with items and the person who plays it gets an additional bar for things to spawn? Or is it pooled?

How much info are you willing to divulge about level creation and level editing?

UGH! September can't come soon enough!

toonhead2

Neo Member
Jackson said:
Hey maybe if that guy actually played the game before he wrote a news article on the gameplay he'd know that Jetpack and Magic carpet DO fly, they just have a cool down timer between uses (individual timer of course) so people think creatively to reach small high places.

And maybe he'd know that AI doesn't collide with each other at all, because if it did you'd be really annoyed when all the AI was blocking where Maxwell was trying to move to. Instead, AI sorts through each other... However, if the guy wanted Maxwell to ride the pterodactyl, because he can, all he'd need to do is tap it and Maxwell would instantly ride it.

I absolutely 100% have no problem with criticism (ask other journos how cool I am about their reviews and scores I've gotten). But that criticism has to be true for me to be cool about it. Ya know?

2 profiles

Exactly. I haven't played the game and I could see how everything was working in the videos. I guess the one who posted it tried to find something to bring the hype down. Well not me.

2 profiles...perfect!

BTW. You guys are great in communicating with fans, first you with neogaf and chuck commenting on my youtube vid. I really appreciate everything your team is doing.:D

Feep

Banned
Huh! I could swear I saw Jackson mention at some point that due to strict memory limitations, only one profile was available...well, I guess I'm eating my words. = D

My apologies, Junior!

Edit:
I got my latest Nintendo Power today. Scribblenauts showed up twice: First in a letter asking if sword + vegetables = salad, and then in their E3 section, in which they basically reworded Post #217.
:lol

razdor2k

Banned
2 profiles

Thanks for answering a Newbie in the forum ;)

Edit: im pretty sure that you have tens of thousand of objects and you can have atleast one of them to protect yourself from death.... Don't you think there is a way? or maybe glue yourself so hard that a black hole couldn't get you?

That's why this game is so fantastic! because even in a level, its still a sandbox! you can conjure items to help you in your surroundings yes. but what if you yourself can create something that will help you that other people just don't know about maybe............................................

an ultimate weapon :D

P.S ( over edit ): Oh my gosh :D Feep the legendery rider ask me to forgive* him? i must be blessed! Your apologize is accepted man, you made me want to buy a DSi and Scribblenauts even more then I wanted before. ( even though i was convinced into buying both after the first debut video :p )

RaoulDukeHST

Neo Member
I feel that my request may have needed more flowery words to live up to this site and not be overlooked due to my junior status :(

Kind Jeremiah/Jackson - per chance an epic duel with Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton?

Puffles

Banned
You know, I just realized how strange it is that many people in this thread are buying a DS just to play Scribblenauts. This game is probably going to be epic enough to warrant a purchase of the system by itself, but why are so many people waiting for the game to come out before they buy a DS?

There's so many other absolutely amazing DS games out there. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Chrono Trigger, Mario Kart DS, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, both Advance Wars games, all three Castlevania games, New Super Mario Bros., The World Ends With You, Meteos, Elite Beat Agents, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time...

What the heck are you waiting for? Buy a DS and a game or two now, and also a flash cart, so that you can run homebrew like StillAliveDS and play mp3s. Besides, that way you'll be familiar with the system when Scribblenauts finally comes out.

Something I remembered today which was cool was that the jetpack didn't work on the snow level, or at least we think it didn't (maybe jackson can clarify) but we assume it is because the level's environment affects the way items can be used.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
I'm so glad to hear that the developers are also putting some "personality" into the items. Like what Jeremiah said about the flying items having cool-down times. Just because you can summon whatever you want doesn't mean that the item you do summon won't have its limits :D Plus it seems like we can never predict exactly how the item will work in game (e.g. a villain turning into a werewolf or a cage being able to be opened). Holy crap this game has a lot of replay value...

I love watching a game developer defend his game. It's so refreshing to see them actually say, "Hey motherfuckers, you're wrong about this" instead of simply ignoring them and letting ignorance spread

Puffles said:
You know, I just realized how strange it is that many people in this thread are buying a DS just to play Scribblenauts. This game is probably going to be epic enough to warrant a purchase of the system by itself, but why are so many people waiting for the game to come out before they buy a DS?

There's so many other absolutely amazing DS games out there. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Chrono Trigger, Mario Kart DS, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, both Advance Wars games, all three Castlevania games, New Super Mario Bros., The World Ends With You, Meteos, Elite Beat Agents, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time...

What the heck are you waiting for? Buy a DS and a game or two now, and also a flash cart, so that you can run homebrew like StillAliveDS and play mp3s. Besides, that way you'll be familiar with the system when Scribblenauts finally comes out.

THIS. Best gaming purchase since the PS2. Got it this year, nary a night has gone without playing all the great games in the platform.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
So true! I was worried that articles like that would give the game a bad name before it was released, but I've seen the story mirrored on a couple other sites and between the commenters reposting Jeremiah's rebuttal from this thread and the terrible 2.6/10 rating that the DailyNintendo article has, I think most people really are convinced of this game's amazing scope

ombz

Puffles said:

People probably see the ds as a kids toy, so they don't want to seen playing with it.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Came from another thread that referenced Post 217. Did some sleuthing to find it, read it...sat here slackjawed for a bit and then realized that I was going to purchase a DS and Scribblenauts based on that post alone.

Impressive to say the least.

SirPenguin said:
I love watching a game developer defend his game. It's so refreshing to see them actually say, "Hey motherfuckers, you're wrong about this" instead of simply ignoring them and letting ignorance spread

As long as it's done right.

*recalls Dyack-gate*

KScorp

MNC said:
If you get the starite, then fall, it's counted as a win. It's in 1 of the videos.
Yes, I know. I'm the guy who submitted the overly-complex "glue plank to pterodactyl" solution, which was based mostly on the assumption that you would lose, as we didn't know that prior to those videos being released.

Jackson said:

The fact that the person who wrote the article complaining about the collision detection didn't realize Maxwell can pass through friendly AI completely discredits him. Such things have happened in older videos, so he obviously isn't up to date with Scribblenauts. (Although I do agree with him that the physics could use some fine tuning, such as the rope connected to Maxwell's top hat in 10-6 having a rigid joint rather than a pivot joint.)

...I wonder if you can bake a cake using all the ingredients, a bowl, and an oven. I can't imagine it being too hard to program, seeing as you can just find what contents are in a bowl, bake them, and see if it constitutes a cake. Or a pie. Or whatever you fancy.

I'm going to spend countless hours figuring out just how deep Objectnaut goes when I get this game. :D

Jackson said:
Is the timer visible, or do you just kind of have to know that it's there?

Smash88

Banned
I bought a DSi in June. Mainly due in part to Feep's post and Jackson talking to the community and is interested in us. I always appreciate it when devs communicate with the gaming community. Thank you Jackson and company for the great game (I'm sure of it) that you will bestow upon us. Can't wait! :D

Found this over at GameFAQs. So we all know that the ESRB hilariously describes Scribblenauts, going so far as to use babies in their examples. It mentions being able to jump over a baby with a bicycle, for one.

But perhaps it isn't the ESRB we should be worried about...look what this guy found in the 2nd trailer

sgivwj.png

(Sorry for the quality, couldn't find a very good video of this, and the screen is small to begin with!)

Here we see Maxwell being rather...well... irresponsible! He does make the jump, though.

I can't believe they snuck that scene into the trailer. Or maybe I'm like the one person on the internet that missed that tidbit

Jackson

KScorp said:
Yes, I know. I'm the guy who submitted the overly-complex "glue plank to pterodactyl" solution, which was based mostly on the assumption that you would lose, as we didn't know that prior to those videos being released.

The fact that the person who wrote the article complaining about the collision detection didn't realize Maxwell can pass through friendly AI completely discredits him. Such things have happened in older videos, so he obviously isn't up to date with Scribblenauts. (Although I do agree with him that the physics could use some fine tuning, such as the rope connected to Maxwell's top hat in 10-6 having a rigid joint rather than a pivot joint.)

...I wonder if you can bake a cake using all the ingredients, a bowl, and an oven. I can't imagine it being too hard to program, seeing as you can just find what contents are in a bowl, bake them, and see if it constitutes a cake. Or a pie. Or whatever you fancy.

I'm going to spend countless hours figuring out just how deep Objectnaut goes when I get this game. :D

Ya, I've said it before... it's DS Physics on a game that lets you do anything. Playing games like Garry's Mod had whacky stuff happen all the time, and thats on a PC using Havok.

So weird things are bound to happen in Scribblenauts. Never claimed otherwise. But things like collision being shoddy is just garbage. For DS its very good.

Here's a high rez shot of the baby-jumpin' action

e9udxc.png

Anyways, I definitely agree with Jackson. I fully expect the physics to wonk out sometimes. And yeah, sometimes it might be frustrating. It happens in literally every game with physics, even on next gen consoles.

But this is the damn DS. The fact physics even exists at all is amazing. The fact that this game even exists at all is amazing.

CaVaYeRo

Speaking about copyrighted stuff, Elizabeth England explained during her yesterday's conference that the only copyrighted thing they have put in the game is NEOGAF, then she typed it and the logo appeared, then the character used it to fly around.

I guess you already knew, but I didin't, so it was awesome :D

Lovechild

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
Anyways, I definitely agree with Jackson. I fully expect the physics to wonk out sometimes. And yeah, sometimes it might be frustrating. It happens in literally every game with physics, even on next gen consoles.

But this is the damn DS. The fact physics even exists at all is amazing. The fact that this game even exists at all is amazing.
This. It's what I've been trying to form into words from my head all along. Of course there will be 'problems'. I'm just hoping (and betting) they won't overshadow the overall experience.

Orpheon

Banned
Putting in multiple profiles (in this case 2) really is a boon granted in terms of DS gaming.

Life is just that much easier, and thanks to this my little bros won't hesitate to start-up the DS and try out a little of the imagination-engine that is Scribblenauts.

WowBaby

TheOMan said:
Came from another thread that referenced Post 217. Did some sleuthing to find it, read it...sat here slackjawed for a bit and then realized that I was going to purchase a DS and Scribblenauts based on that post alone.

Your decision will be reaffirmed when you find out that the author of Epic Post 217 has been incorporated into the game as well as NeoGaf!:D

Feep

Banned
So, I'm here at Comic-Con, typing on my little iPod Touch. But guess what? Scribblenauts is here! Anyone have any requests? All the levels from the recent press build are in.

Interestingly, there does not appear to be a method for numerical text entry. How can I type in Post 217...?

Oh, and I saw 25 minutes of Avatar. Oh my Lord and heaven. Might end up as this generation's Star Wars. I was in awe the entire time.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
necromancer
zonkey (zebra / donkey hybrid)

(request from Shinibi) nincompoop

from random GameFAQs thread:

see if God is afraid of atheists (or vice versa)
see if catgirls are afraid of fanboys

also, try "post two one even"

Feep said:
So, I'm here at Comic-Con, typing on my little iPod Touch. But guess what? Scribblenauts is here! Anyone have any requests? All the levels from the recent press build are in.

Interestingly, there does not appear to be a method for numerical text entry. How can I type in Post 217...?

Oh, and I saw 25 minutes of Avatar. Oh my Lord and heaven. Might end up as this generation's Star Wars. I was in awe the entire time.

I thought just your username was in ... Feep?

See if you can bake a cake using cake ingredients, similar to how you can make eggs and such.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oooh, ooh, try Portal Gun!

....nah, wouldn't be in.
Maybe take some regular guy, give him something radioactive, see if he turns into a superhero?
Something of a long shot I admit, but still...

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
oops, more requests came in from GameFAQs and I skimped on posting 'em

nothing
paparazzi
earwig
exoskeleton
gynoid
brain (w/ zombie)
guitar
Gossypiboma
nuclear fission
an hero

nolan694

Neo Member
Feep said:

Could you try these for me?

Paper with paper shredder.
Teenager with cell phone.
Weasel.
Celebrity, camera, and reporter.

Even if you don't get to any of these thanks in advance.

PS. I'm a huge fan of your work.

KScorp

Dolla Dolla said:
See if you can bake a cake using cake ingredients, similar to how you can make eggs and such.
YES. Put flour, eggs, and water/milk and possibly sugar into a bowl, place the bowl in an oven, and see what comes out (if anything). Hopefully all those items can be placed inside the world at once.

If it works, Scribblenauts is confirmed GOTF for me.

Top Bottom