• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Shifty |OT| Shift Happens

jonno394

Is this new?

Tiny Build games showing off post patch gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPoN0-WAVkI

compilation of Mr. Shifty's upcoming performance patch running on a Nintendo Switch. Some users have experienced frame stutter and slowdowns when playing on Nintendo Switch, and this patch addresses that. If you're experienced issues before the patch, please hard-reboot your Switch device. The patch will boost overall performance of the game for everyone.

Soundslike

Neo Member
Heavy slowdowns only happens for me after resuming from sleep mode. disappears when restarting software,

Had no problems with framerate,

I would recommend this game. Really like the fight mechanic

Takat

I don't know if it installed the patch or not, but the game is ridden with technical problems. Just had my third or fourth crash as I was at a really late stage in the last stage, and now I have to restart from the beginning of the stage. I don't understand why it doesn't save your current room. Very upsetting.

It's a good game, which is a shame really.

chronomac

So did the patch ever come out?
Don't think so. This is the latest word from tinyBuild, as far as I can tell:

8mQtDvel.jpg

chronomac

Update from Alex Nichiporchik:
Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up that we were going to submit the Mr. Shifty patch this week, but due to next week being Gold Week, it wouldn't matter as there are delays with submissions due to it. So we expect to submit the patch by end of week, and release the week after next. So in 2 weeks. It's looking pretty good.​
Gold Week's a series of holidays in Japan.

Wikzo

Poor communication, especially since they initially promised a patch after the launch weekend (which was unrealistic, but they said it themselves). Bought the game on launch day and really enjoyed it, but would like to finish the latter half with the performance patch.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
A part of it is that Nintendo loyalists, especially after the past few years, have seen some shit. This makes the fanbase prone to extremes; if a game is setting an example they feel other developers and publishers should follow, they will champion it like no other console userbase. Fast RMX, Snake Pass, Graceful Explosion Machine (the devs confirmed today that sales are exceeding expectations) are just some examples.

On the other hand, if that same fanbase feels exploited or disrespected the outrage is swift and intense. The response to the RiME pricing is one example. And here, I think a lot of the negativity is down to how the developers initially addressed the complaints. Framerate can be forgiven, but blaming it on the hardware and deflecting onto the sacred cow that is Zelda were just not good moves.

I remain confident that they meant no offense, but this is why PR is so important and often hard to get right.
Where have they said that those games were exceeding expectations if I may ask?(its not that I dont believe you)

Cuburt

Just got this game and it's a blast.

The mechanics are just really satisfying as you start to get a hang of them and how to use the environment to your advantage.

After people complaining about framerate issues, I was hesitant to get the game but it's a lot more fun than I expected.

Haven't had any framerate problems that I've noticed or any major technical problems. The game does a sort of pause when your weapon breaks that I thought has a frame drop at first until I realized it's a stylistic choice to easily convey your weapon broke in the middle of the mayhem.

Edit: okay, I've noticed more framerate drops in later levels, but not too frequent and still no crashes.

Edit2: okay, got my first crash leaving a room in the 13th level really far into the stage and now have to start it over again. That sucks. The framerate also has been chugging pretty bad at times. Oddly enough, after the game crashed it feels faster than it was when I was playing the same area before. Still a fun game but if this is the type of stuff people have been dealing with more than I have, it's pretty disappointing. Might just wait to continue playing when it gets patched.

?oe?oe

Did the patch get released? I'm up to the last level and I've barely had any slowdown in the Switch version. Maybe two or three or times, but it wasn't major, only for a moment

Wikzo

I am starting to lose trust. Initially, they promised a patch within a weekend or so. Then they talk about Golden Week being a problem, even though BOTW received a patch and TumbleSeed and Mario Kart 8 got released in the timespan. Now they say the patch is too big. This doesn't make any sense, since a performance patch should only include code changes (which doesn't take up much space) and no new content (like art assets or audio, which they haven't talked about).

I was so pumped for the game, but now I almost forget about my progress, since I have been waiting for the patch for so long.

jonno394

I am starting to lose trust. Initially, they promised a patch within a weekend or so. Then they talk about Golden Week being a problem, even though BOTW received a patch and TumbleSeed and Mario Kart 8 got released in the timespan. Now they say the patch is too big. This doesn't make any sense, since a performance patch should only include code changes (which doesn't take up much space) and no new content (like art assets or audio, which they haven't talked about).

I was so pumped for the game, but now I almost forget about my progress, since I have been waiting for the patch for so long.

Update today

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...pdate_on_mr_shifty_switch_patch_the_patch_is/

"The patch is done, it's solid but too big, we're working on reducing the size"

Billfisto

Tinybuild at work!

Never friggin' trust Tinybuild. They release games with glaring issues, then never get around to patching properly / in a timely manner. If they want to compete as a console-level publisher they seriously need to get their act together and stop overpromising and underdelivering.

I don't know why any indie devs would have something published by them, unless they wanted to have their work dragged through the mud with bad PR and lack of post-release support.

Felensis

Banned
So I've got the game yesterday and only am in the fourth level now, but so far having a blast. Any news on if the patch is out or when that finally will happen?

Hitmeneer

So I've got the game yesterday and only am in the fourth level now, but so far having a blast. Any news on if the patch is out or when that finally will happen?

It seems that the patch date is still not know, which is a real shame. The communication between the developer and the buyers is terrible. I am still very interested in the game, but won't buy it before it is patched.

Wikzo

Yeah, it feels like such a long time ago. I am playing TumbleSeed and Thumper instead.

They actually just made a Japanese trailer. I wonder if they are releasing the old or new version on the Japanese eShop.

watershed

Banned
Haven't they had issues with not supporting games past launch in the past? As well as some bad PR interaction with fans? Maybe I am confusing them with someone else.

TheMoon

Haven't they had issues with not supporting games past launch in the past? As well as some bad PR interaction with fans? Maybe I am confusing them with someone else.

bad PR with fans was the original dev, not tinybuild (publisher and port-dev)

edit: apparently it's both (see below)? had no idea how bad this is. we should invent a nicalis scale of indie pub badness.

Billfisto

Yep!

Cluster Truck: game ships with no invert Y option. When people question them about it, they say patches are too much effort so they're waiting to bundle a bunch of updates together. The PC version got a Halloween update, which Tinybuild advertised, but when questioned if it was coming to console they went silent. The PC version also got a fix to the boss, whom was ridiculously unbalanced, but when questioned Tinybuild said to play it on PC if the boss was too hard. Several months later they were again asked if an invert patch or the Halloween stuff was coming, and then said "we thought it was already out". They "checked with Sony", who "said the patch was out". When several people advised they didn't get the patch, either by trying to force an update on the game or entirely deleting it and re-downloading, they again went radio silent.

Mr. Shifty was released with glaring slowdown issues. The devs caused a bit of trouble when they blamed it on Unity and told people to get the PC version, and Tinybuild stepped in to do damage control and advised there'd be a patch very soon (After downplaying how many people were effected). After a month of radio silence, they blamed Golden Week, Unity's Exporter, and Nintendo for the patch not being out in the timeframe they'd advised. Now, almost two months later, They're still saying it's on Nintendo.

SpeedRunners was just released on Xbox One, but apparently it has major multiplayer connection issues and some DLC isn't properly working. Tinybuild said they're investigating the former and blamed Microsoft for the latter.

General Tinybuild game plan:
1) Locate PC indie and advise you'll publish it on consoles.
2) Post about it a bunch on Twitter, making people think YOU made the game.
3) Do a slapdash port without really checking if anything works.
4) Release it as-is.
5) When people complain that something doesn't work, downplay the severity of the situation and complain about how hard it is to patch.
6) Joke around with Twitter children who drew Hello Neighbor art.
7) Blame the issues on the console manufacturer.
8) Say the patch is coming, but never give a timeframe.
9) Talk about another indie game as if you're making it yourself.
10) Just go radio silent about patches to your last game.
11) Repeat.

I realize this may seem obsessive, but it really gets my goat that they keep doing this, all while portraying themselves as the "good guy" indie publisher.

TheMoon

I realize this may seem obsessive, but it really gets my goat that they keep doing this, all while portraying themselves as the "good guy" indie publisher.

no, people need to be aware of this shit.

I thought nicalis was the only shithouse.

I will never trust them with a day one purchase. So much BS about reasons why they can't fix their broken game (Golden week! patch too big!) and here we are almost 2 MONTHS later and nothing but silence.

dsier

Shift Happens is actually the name of another game. It's available on PS4, Xbox One and Steam. So I was a little confused with the title of the thread.

Wikzo

Love the game (at least what I have played of it thus far on Switch)), but I am never going to buy a Tinybuild-published game on launch again.

watershed

Banned
Yep!

Cluster Truck: game ships with no invert Y option. When people question them about it, they say patches are too much effort so they're waiting to bundle a bunch of updates together. The PC version got a Halloween update, which Tinybuild advertised, but when questioned if it was coming to console they went silent. The PC version also got a fix to the boss, whom was ridiculously unbalanced, but when questioned Tinybuild said to play it on PC if the boss was too hard. Several months later they were again asked if an invert patch or the Halloween stuff was coming, and then said "we thought it was already out". They "checked with Sony", who "said the patch was out". When several people advised they didn't get the patch, either by trying to force an update on the game or entirely deleting it and re-downloading, they again went radio silent.

Mr. Shifty was released with glaring slowdown issues. The devs caused a bit of trouble when they blamed it on Unity and told people to get the PC version, and Tinybuild stepped in to do damage control and advised there'd be a patch very soon (After downplaying how many people were effected). After a month of radio silence, they blamed Golden Week, Unity's Exporter, and Nintendo for the patch not being out in the timeframe they'd advised. Now, almost two months later, They're still saying it's on Nintendo.

SpeedRunners was just released on Xbox One, but apparently it has major multiplayer connection issues and some DLC isn't properly working. Tinybuild said they're investigating the former and blamed Microsoft for the latter.

General Tinybuild game plan:
1) Locate PC indie and advise you'll publish it on consoles.
2) Post about it a bunch on Twitter, making people think YOU made the game.
3) Do a slapdash port without really checking if anything works.
4) Release it as-is.
5) When people complain that something doesn't work, downplay the severity of the situation and complain about how hard it is to patch.
6) Joke around with Twitter children who drew Hello Neighbor art.
7) Blame the issues on the console manufacturer.
8) Say the patch is coming, but never give a timeframe.
9) Talk about another indie game as if you're making it yourself.
10) Just go radio silent about patches to your last game.
11) Repeat.

Yikes. I'm glad I didn't buy this game. It has a cool hook but the repetitive gameplay and level design put me off. The reports of framerate issues put me off even more. This just adds more reasons.

Top Bottom