• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
Well, I was only speculating, I did not read any book past the first one.

Your spoiler tagged info is however something that might indicate that you are referring to a book spoiler, so I demand perma-insta-ban and your removal from the Poney League Extraordinaire :p

oh, no I haven't read the book and I don't want to imply it. I just get the feeling that someone spilled the beans already

Enosh

Aryas wolf ran away after she went after Joffrey on the way down to Kings Landing.
yeah that was like a season ago with no mention of her at all after that
hell only robs wolf gets some limited screen time, even snows wasn't with him when he was hit over the head some 2 episodes ago, I guess he was sleeping or something

Micerider

oh, no I haven't the book and I don't want to imply it. I just get the feeling that someone spilled the beans already

Well, as long as we are speculating, there is no ha(r)m done. I know just as little as any other guy in this thread.

But to me, Stannis using this "shadow thing" and referring to it as a major strategical advantage (something that can turn the tides of a war as he does not expect to win through battle only) so therefore, I see only Two or three possibilities :

1) This thing is some form of assassin (probably aiming for Renly specificly)

2) This thing can provide intel to Melisandre and Stannis, to give a formidable knowledge advantage on their ennemies moves and deeds.

3) It can take possession of something/someone to influence their action.

Cloudy

Banned
Ep 4 was good but are they going to completely write out
Roose Bolton? I guess it streamlines things considering all the Arya stuff they cut out based on the end of ep 3. Seems like a drastic change though...

ps: Loved the added scene to make Joffrey even more hateable lol

sangreal

Ep 4 was good but are they going to completely write out Roose Bolton? I guess it streamlines things considering all the Arya stuff they cut out based on the end of ep 3. Seems like a drastic change though...

sounds like book talk

Peru

You're not supposed to talk about differences between show or book or the book at all. How difficult is it to read, especially as it's been posted 100 times since the OP with as many warnings?

Micerider

Oh, one other thing I'm starting to wonder :

Does any "important" character end up being happy in this show?

Turns out that, for now, they ALL have a shitty life.

The only ones I can think of as somewhat "happy" are Varys and Littlefinger, because they are the only ones that manage to have their way to some extent while not being too exposed (though it seems to be compromised for LF). But that's some kind of "twisted" happiness.

Well, maybe Sam...the fearful coward he is must have never felt so lively as he is right now :p

Tremas

Ep 4 was good but are they going to completely write out
Roose Bolton? I guess it streamlines things considering all the Arya stuff they cut out based on the end of ep 3. Seems like a drastic change though...

Not really a spoiler but just confirming the character has actually been introduced.
He was the one speaking to Robb after the battle, and made the remark about flaying. He was addressed as Lord Bolton

I don't think that shadow baby (?) is going to kill Renly. If any because it doesn't seem like the kind of kill Stannis would approve of. Also, I need some excuse to keep Margaery around in my mind.

Edit: I also liked how Arya's shit list added two more names just like that. Man, if that girl get's Needle back...

the conversation on the boat was about smugglers tricks and about doing what needed to be done.

And i'm gutted my beloved red lady has a rotten cunt. :(

The Mountain went on a serious diet I see (I know it's a new actor).

Dysentry.

Vagabundo

It was a good show, but didn't click with me as much as the first season. I think there are more storylines happening. I don't feel like I have a character I'm rooting for in some of them. Like Stannis and the crazy red witch.

Joffery is going off the edge and I'm starting to like Sansa now. Getting the shit beat out of her seems to be growing her character. The hound obviously likes Sansa a lot. That's interesting.

I now want Little Finger dead. He was one of my favourite characters in the first season, but now he is a uninteresting shit. Die...

I like how this show can change characters in unexpected ways.

In honour of Aria's stabbing list lets do our top five must die characters:

- Joffery
- Joffery
- Cercai <sp?>
- Little finger
- Red crazy witch woman

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
And i'm gutted my beloved red lady has a rotten cunt. :(

Quite literally.

Ugh.

Also:

http://winteriscoming.net/ said:
BO has sent out their Emmy submissions for this year&#8217;s awards and, as you might expect, Game of Thrones is heavily featured. Gold Derby has the full list of this year&#8217;s submissions from HBO&#8217;s For Your Consideration package. Here are the Thrones submissions:

Game of Thrones submitted for Best Drama Series
Best supporting actor submissions are Peter Dinklage, Alfie Allen, Kit Harington, Richard Madden

Best supporting actress submissions are Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner

Gold Derby reminds us that these are the network&#8217;s submissions, and that the actors themselves are able to submit their role for consideration, if they wish.
Glad to see the ladies getting some love from HBO :)

Zeliard

I got a chuckle out of Stannis in the ep getting annoyed with Davos calling Melisandre "red woman" instead of by her name, and then he follows it up by asking him to smuggle in "the red woman."

wildfire

Banned
Oh, one other thing I'm starting to wonder :

Does any "important" character end up being happy in this show?

Turns out that, for now, they ALL have a shitty life.

The only ones I can think of as somewhat "happy" are Varys and Littlefinger, because they are the only ones that manage to have their way to some extent while not being too exposed (though it seems to be compromised for LF). But that's some kind of "twisted" happiness.

Well, maybe Sam...the fearful coward he is must have never felt so lively as he is right now :p

Renly is definitely on an up turn. He has a kickass wife who is understanding of his behavior and he has gained the backing of many people in his quest for power. His loss of love for his brother doesn't outweigh the gains he has made.

JGS

Banned
Despite tragedy, I think the Starks are still the most grounded and very much the center of the show despite the show's insistence on not focusing on them. To me they will always be the ones most content and happy since their focus is not on power but on family.

Vagabundo

Despite tragedy, I think the Starks are still the most grounded and very much the center of the show despite the show's insistence on not focusing on them. To me they will always be the ones most content and happy since their focus is not on power but on family.

I like that they have modest goals: King of the North. Who can argue with that?

I suppose from the way this season is going that Winter Coming will be near the end of this season. Season 3 is going to be so damn cold and White Walkery. brrrr....

JGS

Banned
I like that they have modest goals: King of the North. Who can argue with that?

I suppose from the way this season is going that Winter Coming will be near the end of this season. Season 3 is going to be so damn cold and White Walkery. brrrr....
What I like is that wasn't even Robb's goal. That grew from him first just going after the guys who killed his dad & kept his sisters (Btw, how is Littlefinger going to pull that lie off?).

King of the north sprung from what kind of character/integrity he had. He's shaping up to be like his Dad which is a good thing... for the most part.

Vagabundo

What I like is that wasn't even Robb's goal. That grew from him first just going after the guys who killed his dad & kept his sisters (Btw, how is Littlefinger going to pull that lie off?).

King of the north sprung from what kind of character/integrity he had. He's shaping up to be like his Dad which is a good thing... for the most part.

Yeah Rob is the new Ned.

Cat already knows Little Finger was involved with Neds betrayal, although maybe not the extent. I dunno. The whole scene with them was a little anti climatic. Little Finger just fumbled about and was he really about to suggest that Ned dying cleared the way for them? Really? Is he deluded?

I think I'd like Cat to do in Little Finger.

Tacitus_

Oh man the last couple of pages
popcorn.gif

I got a chuckle out of Stannis in the ep getting annoyed with Davos calling Melisandre "red woman" instead of by her name, and then he follows it up by asking him to smuggle in "the red woman."

He told Davos to smuggle in "your red woman." He was still giving him a hard time about it (Stannis is bit of an asshole and tends to not let little things like that go).

Peru

One thing I like is Melisandre being played as a reeeelatively straight character, for all her 'full of terror' and religious babble. I mean they could've just made her this mystical figure of high words, but instead she banters a bit with Davos, flinches at Renly's bad jokes and isn't overplayed. Human after all.

Arjen

Been a long time since i saw such a what the fuck???? moment on tv.
I sent a group text after whatching the final scene, which just said.
Dafuq did i just saw?
Everyone replied with, Game of thrones huh?

One more time...
Zb44O.jpg

SPOILER RULES:

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

- For the non-book readers using this thread:
  • If you have any questions about plot points or want clarification on something, feel free to send a PM to any of the helpful volunteers (see below) and ask them.
  • If you're curious about how things unfolded differently the book, please use the other thread.

- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help.

Al-ibn Kermit

I think what will happen is that the vagina-shadow creature will kill a few of Renly's men in a horrifying way and also kill Renly's wife. I don't think it's a super weapon, just a very psychologically intimidating one.

The reason I think Renly's wife might be the main target is that without a wife, a heir won't be born. That's already been established as pretty much the only important thing about their marriage (of course being gay is complicating that). So we might end up with a defeated, but content, Renly serving under Stannis.

I do not think that Renly's entire army is going to be beaten. We've only seen a few minutes of screen time with that new female bodyguard of Renly's so it seems weird that they would introduce an interesting, mold-breaking character like that and then just kill her off.

well, hopefully they then get rid of Sansa because damn that girl is so annoying. At least Arya turned out alright.

In the first episode of the entire series, each kid got a direwolf pup.

But Sansa's was put down by Ned after the incident where Arya's direwolf bit Joffrey. That definitely sounds like foreshadowing. Arya might fight against Joffrey somehow but Sansa ends up paying for it.

The reason I think Renly's wife might be the main target is that without a wife, a heir won't be born. That's already been established as pretty much the only important thing about their marriage (of course being gay is complicating that). So we might end up with a defeated, but content, Renly serving under Stannis.

Pretty interesting theory. Adding to that, she's probably one of the few women out there that would be so understanding about being put in a difficult situation. Sansa or Cersei in the same situation (upon learning her king husband is gay) would probably lash out at Renly in unpredictable ways.

At least Margaery can say "well, at least he's keeping it in the family."

*rimshot*

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
There is no way they are killing Marg. Not this early anyway. She seems way too much of a juicy character to be offed just like that.

As a side note, non book readers should AVOID AT ALL COSTS any interview with the cast. They can't help but drop spoilers regarding the continuity of key characters during the next season/s (and now I know a couple of big ones that will make it alive from S2).

Al-ibn Kermit

For Renly, it's actually good news. If you're gay, you don't want a wife. But if you're a king, you have to have a wife.

At the very least, the creature may not kill people but make them crazy or scarred up. Something that would make Margaery no longer a suitable wife for a king. Who knows what she would do then?

JGS

Banned
Not shure what to make of the Brothers Baratheon, but I think that Renly's wife will survive and be near Cercei level of cunning and Renly's boyfriend will not since he may not really be able to fight.

He didn't really win the battle with The Mountain and was about to be killed then.

The stuff about an heir doesn't really matter in the short term as whoever wins the war will be the king regardless and the heir will be killed. It does matter when kingship is established and I think everyone is speaking of it in the sense that they are loyal to who they view as the king.

Micerider

Wasn't there a news that confirmed some specific actors that signed for future season(s) as well.

I saw one name and I'm already pissed off as it seems to be a major spoiler... :(

Subitai

You're not supposed to talk about differences between show or book or the book at all. How difficult is it to read, especially as it's been posted 100 times since the OP with as many warnings?
I don't understand why people don't get this.

Micerider

The stuff about an heir doesn't really matter in the short term as whoever wins the war will be the king regardless and the heir will be killed. It does matter when kingship is established and I think everyone is speaking of it in the sense that they are loyal to who they view as the king.

He did win the joust. He was just taken un-armed byt a raging Mountain, when doing his greetings to the court after his victory :)

Binabik15

Not shure what to make of the Brothers Baratheon, but I think that Renly's wife will survive and be near Cercei level of cunning and Renly's boyfriend will not since he may not really be able to fight.

He didn't really win the battle with The Mountain and was about to be killed then.

Losing against what is probably the strongest human being in Westeros AND Essos in a duel man on man isn't indication that you`re not a good fighter, though.

Ser Loras is a good swordsman and jouster
at least in the books and now I'll get the "no book comparisons!" complaint. Totally not a double entendre about jousting, by the way.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This kind of shit is just inevitable for spoilers. You got people that are innocently speculating and then people saying "dude that's a spoiler"...because they full well know it is. Then, the spoiler that no one knew was a spoiler becomes a spoiler and people are like fuck I read that thinking it was just some fun speculation.

Then you've got the inability of people that know what's going to happen to speak with such carefulness...it's a natural thing. When you're typing up a paragraph without any intent to spoil, somewhere along the line you say one line that can be taken as a certain way. Then THAT innocent interpretation is responded to and eventually we get a bunch of unintentional shit and backtracking to spoiler-tag shit.

That's why I only come to this thread right after I've viewed it which is on the East coast and once again after to gloss over the discussion after its premiered everywhere. And unfortunately I have to bail out of any threads that takes any type of GoT discussion as book-readers have free-reign there...like in that unlikable character thread where someone posted Tyrion (as a joke?) and there was a discussion that lead to a spoiler. Fortunately for me I never saw it.

Spoilers, feels bad man.

CrankyJay

Banned
This kind of shit is just inevitable for spoilers. You got people that are innocently speculating and then people saying "dude that's a spoiler"...because they full well know it is. Then, the spoiler that no one knew was a spoiler becomes a spoiler and people are like fuck I read that thinking it was just some fun speculation.

Yeah, or a person who read the books comes in and plays dumb and speculates these things so they can look smart. It's best just to delete that shit.

JGS

Banned
He did win the joust. He was just taken un-armed byt a raging Mountain, when doing his greetings to the court after his victory :)
Well, he won the joust because his horse was in heat and Mountain's horse was horny.

Losing against what is probably the strongest human being in Westeros AND Essos in a duel man on man isn't indication that you`re not a good fighter, though.

Ser Loras is a good swordsman and jouster
at least in the books and now I'll get the "no book comparisons!" complaint. Totally not a double entendre about jousting, by the way.
That's true, there's just not much indication that he is a fantastic fighter (He lost to Brienne and the joking about him in the opening) though. Plus, the overall consensus seems to be that although Renly's army is very large, it's not particularly great or at least doesn't seem as serious.

I visit both sights so it's not that big of a deal as long as it's not future stuff, but I'm the minority

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom