• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

Protocol7

They still haven't...
Even though, if it's confirmed, X is Xenoblade 2 then yes that would make me buy one, but because it's on the Wii U, not because of the Wii U...

Interested in other titles (MH3 U/Bayonetta 2/next Zelda/ Wind Walker HD/ next Mario), but again because they'll be exclusive to Nintendo's console, and I won't have any other choice to play them on the Wii U... which doesn't interest me at all sadly...

braves01

Banned
I already own one, but if I didn't I wouldn't feel compelled to rush out and buy one today at all. Iwata even admitted the lineup will be bad for a couple months. If anything, I'd wait until next Christmas (or a can't miss sale or ambassador cutoff or something) and just pick up discounted games I want to play for it in the meantime.

Bayonetta 2 was a little tough to swallow, but not enough to justify the purchase. Xeno would likely do it for me, but I'm not the only one making a decision.

Hit me with like 3 more quality titles and I'm there.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Lolol its only January. I'm pretty sure there's wayyyy more coming out...

Right...that's my point.

Basically I need to see what's coming besides the obligatory Mario/Zelda/Mario Kart/Smash releases. I'm a third party game guy and the only Wii U-only title I want right now is Bayonetta 2. That's not enough to get me to buy the system. Show me more than like two new third party games. I felt burned by the Wii and I don't want to shell out for another repeat of that.

I don't think he was suggesting otherwise.

Yup.

Toa TAK

Banned
Nope. I doubt I'll ever get a Wii-U unless they announce a Metroid title for it. Right now I'm looking forward to the next-gen consoles and their announcements.

MormaPope

Banned
Not really. If Nintendo announced more new IP's along with what they announced today the Wii-U might seem alluring to me. Also remember most of these games could be spaced out for the next few years, along with new consoles coming pretty soon.

farnham

Banned
What they essentially did was acknowledge what most people knew - Wii U flopped out of the gate in a way they clearly weren't expecting. So they're doing something they've never done in the past - making their console roadmap public in one shot instead of dripping it out each E3 in the hopes that it will spur on console sales now rather than people waiting for a price drop before the actual games come out. The downside of doing this I fear is it all but ensures third parties won't be taking the Wii U seriously. If they weren't already. In other words, it's the Gamecube. Not bad news at all if you live for Nintendo-made games. I'm personally Mario-ed out and hope they focus a lot more on developing new IPs instead of repackaging old ones. I realize I'm in the minority there.

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like Generic Game 2000 that sells poorly on 360/PS3 already.
post doesnt make much sense
1. it sold reasonably well in japan, na even if it wasnt a wii like smash hit.
2. there was not a single mario title in the nintendo direct.

Conor 419

Banned
What they essentially did was acknowledge what most people knew - Wii U flopped out of the gate in a way they clearly weren't expecting. So they're doing something they've never done in the past - making their console roadmap public in one shot instead of dripping it out each E3 in the hopes that it will spur on console sales now rather than people waiting for a price drop before the actual games come out. The downside of doing this I fear is it all but ensures third parties won't be taking the Wii U seriously. If they weren't already. In other words, it's the Gamecube. Not bad news at all if you live for Nintendo-made games. I'm personally Mario-ed out and hope they focus a lot more on developing new IPs instead of repackaging old ones. I realize I'm in the minority there.

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like Generic Game 2000 that sells poorly on 360/PS3 already.

People need to stop reiterating this lie, the system has outsold PS3/360 in direct comparison across TWO months.

TWO.

overcast

Definitely going to be deciding this fall which system I will support first. Wii U could still win that "honor", but we'll have to wait until E3.

I will definitely eventually own every system, just like this generation. This way I can save some money.

GloveSlap

No. Wind Waker HD is a cool announcement, but it is still just a remake. Nintendo is on a roll with their Mario Galaxy titles so I would be excited to play a new one of those. Zelda and Smash Bros are coming off of weak entries so they have to prove themselves to me. The rest of the games shown aren't really my cup of tea. Edit- I hated the last Mario Kart too, so I would have to see a huge improvement to get me to buy a new one.

Honestly, it is going to take a lot to get me to buy a system just because of the weak hardware. I am getting tired of my 360's limitations so I am not about to spend a nice chunk of money on something similar this late in the game. I am ready for a jump, and have been for some of time. The lack of decent online with an account system is also a deal breaker.

People need to stop reiterating this lie, the system has outsold PS3/360 in direct comparison across TWO months.

TWO.

It's not really a lie, depending on the extent to which it's argued that it's a "flop." I understand people taking some issue with hyperbole, but is it not clear that this Nintendo Direct is an acknowledgment that they need to right the present course? As it pertains to your clarification, while what you say is true, it's worth understanding that those launches (PS3/360) hardly set the standard for successful launches. Beating those numbers isn't a solid indicator of a successful launch.

SiDCrAzY

Not yet.

A lot of the games announced are games I would buy IF I had the console, but not games I would buy an entirely new console for.

I will be upgrading from a 3DS to a 3DS XL though, I need those bigger screens.(has nothing to do with topic I know)

Chulonyc

Banned
Nintendo direct just cemented the reason why i wont buy a Wii u. Nintendos motto seems to be rehash, rinse and repeat. How can ppl get excited about a bunch of rehashed games that have been around and milked forever by Nintendo. Nintendo is praised for supposedly innovating in terms of hardware but there is alot of negatives to that including producing games that innovate in no form or fashion. I grew tired along time ago of new Marios, karting, etc..... and thats why Wiiu wont be in my house. What happened to the surprise games that are new and refreshing? The ones that surprise ppl?

Conor 419

Banned
It's not really a lie, depending on the extent to which it's argued that it's a "flop." I understand people taking some issue with hyperbole, but is it not clear that this Nintendo Direct is an acknowledgment that they need to right the present course? As it pertains to your clarification, while what you say is true, it's worth understanding that those launches (PS3/360) hardly set the standard for successful launches. Beating those numbers isn't a solid indicator of a successful launch.

They're clearly not an indication of a flop either. Look at how the 3DS started, look at where it is now.

There is such a thing as middle ground, if you do not understand this (and a lot of people don't) then I'd highly recommend taking your education back to square one. Start with basic addition and subtraction, also The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

They're clearly not an indication of a flop either.

There is such a thing as middle ground, if you do not understand this (and a lot of people don't) then I'd highly recommend taking your education back to square one. Start with basic addition and subtraction, also The Hungry Caterpillar.

I put the word "flop" in quotation marks. And yes, there's such a thing as a middle ground, but that almost indicates that it's doing at or around what was expected. Given that they have sales targets they are extraordinarily likely to miss, and the fact that the holiday sales numbers were almost certainly the impetus to get things in high gear starting with this Nintendo Direct, I think your own position is somewhat vague and disingenuous.

Further, was that level of snark absolutely necessary? My post was hardly unreasonable, and you're not exactly hitting it out of the park with your own rhetoric either. Don't read this as my feelings being hurt or anything, but the tone just seemed unnecessary, particularly given the meat of your post. You clearly think you are arguing with simpletons that can't understand your finer points, where I would argue that your own argument is hardly a slam dunk.

since you asked. No, i dont care about nintendo franchises other than mario. The only thing interesting was the 3d mario and mario kart. Going by their recent mario karts i will just stick with MK64. Neither 2 of those are something i would want to go buy a system for, if they released on something i already have sure i might be interested in trying it out. Though im not going to want to buy a console for them. These announcements are great for Nintendo fans but if one doesnt care about their franchises or have slight interest then its does nothing. Since they dont make anything new this is their cycle. I will stick with my N64 to get my mario kart and 3d mario fill.

TWO.

And people need to stop reiterating this stupid comparison. Use Nintendo's own barometer for success. 5.5 million units sold through April. You don't need to manufacture your own barometer. Nintendo gave you one.

There is such a thing as middle ground, if you do not understand this (and a lot of people don't) then I'd highly recommend taking your education back to square one. Start with basic addition and subtraction, also The Hungry Caterpillar.

Ironic.

DaBoss

They're clearly not an indication of a flop either. Look at how the 3DS started, look at where it is now.

Well you can't deny it is selling poorly in each region now. You didn't need to add that bit at the end. The user you were replying to wasn't being hyperbolic or unreasonable.

A.E Suggs

I put the word "flop" in quotation marks. And yes, there's such a thing as a middle ground, but that almost indicates that it's doing at or around what was expected. Given that they have sales targets they are extraordinarily likely to miss, and the fact that the holiday sales numbers were almost certainly the impetus to get things in high gear starting with this Nintendo Direct, I think your own position is somewhat vague and disingenuous.

Further, was that level of snark absolutely necessary? My post was hardly unreasonable, and you're not exactly hitting it out of the park with your own rhetoric either. Don't read this as my feelings being hurt or anything, but the tone just seemed unnecessary, particularly given the meat of your post. You clearly think you are arguing with simpletons that can't understand your finer points, where I would argue that your own argument is hardly a slam dunk.

So much un-intended ownage in this post lol.

Conor 419

Banned
And people need to stop reiterating this stupid comparison. Use Nintendo's own barometer for success. 5.5 million units sold through April. You don't need to manufacture your own barometer. Nintendo gave you one.

Ironic.

How is it a stupid comparison? It's not remotely stupid in the slightest.

Even regardless of sales comparisons, you cannot deny that it's absolutely ridiculously pre-emptive to label a system as a flop or success TWO MONTHS within its launch. Two months represents ~ a thirty sixth of a traditional console lifespan and represents ~ a 60th of a modern consoles lifespan. You do not judge success within these timescales, even the Vita which looks to be in grim circumstances right now is still too early to call.

Vamphuntr

I'm waiting to see what MS and Sony will offer first. I feel it's much wiser for me this way. Out of the things announced today, I only care about the Megaten x FE crossover. Couldn't care less about X since I hated Xenoblade.

TWO.

The ps3 was launched at $599, and only in two regions. The 360 was supply constrained. They are low bars.

This months NPD would be telling a lot.
In Japan the WiiU is at 16k, while the ps3 a console that is six years old is at 19k.
The Wii took 117 weeks before it fell below the 20k threshold.
In Europe the WiiU's software barely makes it in the top 50.

It is clear just like the 3DS the Wii U is having a mediocre launch and its about time people accepted this.

What was the point of the recent ND? Why did Nintendo all of a sudden announce all those games? Why did the 3DS get its price cut?

Come on people it is clear as the blue sky that Nintendo were not happy the way things are going.

TAS

I've owned every Nintendo system to date and I think this is Nintendo's best effort since the SNES. Today's Nintendo Direct simply blew me away. Any minor complaints and concerns I had are history.

Takuan

No, not yet. Maybe at the end of its life cycle when it's ~$100 and has a good selection of high-quality titles available for ~$20 or so.

Because market conditions and expectations are completely different. Show me where Nintendo was setting goals based on how 360 or PS3 launched. They wouldn't ever do that. They looked at the market, looked at what they were offering, judged customer confidence and stated a goal of 5.5 million consoles sold worldwide through April. That's the only number that they're using for success. They did the same with the 3DS and it fell far below expectations and were forced to drop the price to salvage the situation. If they listened to Nintendo fan comparisons of how much better it was doing than the DS at launch, they'd never have done anything to save the 3DS.

We'll see how the next batch of games come out. I can't ever imagine why anyone would buy a product that costs that much in the anticipation that something great might come along.

The direct certainly has convinced me to take another look summer/post E3. Once some of those os updates have happened, and maybe once we've seen what;s what at E3 it could be a good buy. The price of the games is the main stinger for me right now though. I think the girlfriend and child would get a good kick out of the wii u, but games need to be below £40 man, not above. That, plus those other things and well, they haven't osld me on it, but I'll take it more seriously than the opening months. They need to actually get some of those games though, never mind just announcing them.

Conor 419

Banned
Because market conditions and expectations are completely different. Show me where Nintendo was setting goals based on how 360 or PS3 launched. They wouldn't ever do that. They looked at the market, looked at what they were offering, judged customer confidence and stated a goal of 5.5 million consoles sold worldwide through April. That's the only number that they're using for success. They did the same with the 3DS and it fell far below expectations and were forced to drop the price to salvage the situation. If they listened to Nintendo fan comparisons of how much better it was doing than the DS at launch, they'd never have done anything to save the 3DS.

I see what you're saying, but shouldn't we, at the very least, await to see how Nintendo's Wii U sales actually compare to their forecasted sales, on the deadline they have provided?

I apologise Steve, I'm just not a huge fan of panic analysis.

Even regardless of sales comparisons, you cannot deny that it's absolutely ridiculously pre-emptive to label a system as a flop or success TWO MONTHS within its launch. Two months represents ~ a thirty sixth of a traditional console lifespan and represents ~ a 60th of a modern consoles lifespan. You do not judge success within these timescales, even the Vita which looks to be in grim circumstances right now is still too early to call.

Two months is certainly an unreasonable amount of time to gauge the success of an entire platform. However, it's not an unreasonable amount of time to start assessing the platform's launch. There's plenty of time for Nintendo to try and make the Wii U a roaring success. This Nintendo Direct is a start. But assuming that holiday 2013 turns out to be an unprecedented success, I'm not sure how that retroactively improves the current situation.

You mentioned that it's too early to stick a fork in the Vita, and that's fair. However, if Sony pulls out all the stops and turns that platform around completely, we're not going to look back on its first year as being anything but terrible from a sales perspective.

soultron

Banned
I've wanted one from the very beginning. I'm just waiting for enough games to be available that I'm interested in.
My feelings as well. The latest Nintendo Direct has really piqued my interest and I feel I may purchase one after E3 since I feel any announcements or reveals then will be the final push I need.

Top Bottom