• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

vareon

I remember Yusuke finally transformed after several episodes in Den-O episode, where he did his henshin pose and inexplicably transformed off-screen. All this only for a literal butt joke.

Tiu Neo

Yeah, he's transforming more now, but still, Yuuseless sounds right for him. Still, of the main team, he and grandpa are my favorite characters.

First few episodes I wasn't even sure if he could still transform in other worlds.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, he's transforming more now, but still, Yuuseless sounds right for him. Still, of the main team, he and grandpa are my favorite characters.

First few episodes I wasn't even sure if he could still transform in other worlds.

But he transformed in Kiva World, which is right after Kuuga World. >.>

Ninninger toy sales are doing worse than ToQger and tracking under Go-Busters.

Can't wait for Saban/Toei to scrub Ninja Steel for the Power Traingers!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
^
It's for the best. In this case we may avoid the possibility that Saban would cast a worse actor than Takaharu.

Except Lynn is still in charge, we're going to get decent actors.
Besides, American kids love ninjas.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Speaking of Yuusuke, I think the precise moment his character was murdered forever was in the...I want to say Dark Rider World episodes, where he's at a restaurant (or something) with three geisha-type ladies, and they turn into Raydragoons from Ryuki and he gets scared and runs off like a huge coward.

Dude. YOU'RE A KAMEN RIDER. WHAT THE FUCK.

It was completely impossible to take Yuusuke seriously after that.

Tiu Neo

Speaking of Yuusuke, I think the precise moment his character was murdered forever was in the...I want to say Dark Rider World episodes, where he's at a restaurant (or something) with three geisha-type ladies, and they turn into Raydragoons from Ryuki and he gets scared and runs off like a huge coward.

Yep. I've been saying that almost every episode since the Den-O ones, but in that case it was really weird. At least from the Shinkenger episodes up to now he's been transforming almost every episode. He gets his ass kicked right after that, yeah, but still better than doing nothing like before.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Never forget.

7zAkNcA.jpg

Pluto

Besides, American kids love ninjas.
Japanese kids love ninjas too, they just didn't seem to like the toys or the season that much.

I don't think it will happen but if Saban/Toei/Bandai suddenly decided that they don't want to do a Ninninger adaptation, is it early enough to pull the plug and start over?
The show could easily do it because they haven't even started casting yet I think but what about the toys? I have no idea how far in advance Bandai starts production of those.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think the problem is that KR and Sentai toys are overlapping in core (that is, collection).

jwk94

Japanese kids love ninjas too, they just didn't seem to like the toys or the season that much.

I don't think it will happen but if Saban/Toei/Bandai suddenly decided that they don't want to do a Ninninger adaptation, is it early enough to pull the plug and start over?
The show could easily do it because they haven't even started casting yet I think but what about the toys? I have no idea how far in advance Bandai starts production of those.
Could go the Super Mega route and divide it between two seasons.

NeonZ

Question. In gaim, did they ever state what sids lockseed did?

It was used to remote control standalone Watermellon Arms without Riders. It was only used once, to hype Kachidoki by showing it defeating two or three of them by itself.

It was completely impossible to take Yuusuke seriously after that.

That episode was written by Inoue who also got rid of him pretty early in the Diend arc. I guess he just didn't like the character, or the whole AU Rider concept and that was his way of getting him out of the way.

Note that the only AU Riders in his four episodes that didn't have their original actors were the three dark Riders, and they also were the only ones killed, while even Nega Otoya and Daiki's brother survived.

BatDan

Nooooooo no no no no no. They likely won't try that again.

Unless Ninja Steel and Train Team are completely different people. Even if that means a cast of 12.

The "steel" in Ninja Steel could refer to train tracks!

Honestly, looking at the numbers, I'm shocked that Bandai Namco is not pushing Toei/Saban hard to do another Rider show. Kamen Rider has trounced Power Rangers for years in sales. You'd think they'd want to get in on that. Dragon Knight was 2009, we've had 7 years to wash out the taste.

WillyFive

They should, at least for one year as a test run, develop a season that airs concurrently in both the West and the East, or have the West develop a toy line that is later adapted to the East.

I have to imagine Marvel and DC are popular in Japan, why not pass the ball over to the West? Maybe they could even switch every year, give them 2 years to develop a show and products instead of having Japan do everything in one year and have the Western branch sleep until they get the green light to start production on PR a few months before it starts airing.

This could also be the key to make KR work outside of Japan.

I don't doubt we'll get Ninja Steel/Super Ninja Steel. It may even be one of the few seasons where the PR version is better than the Sentai.

And I'm sure whatever toys the Movie has will help out the bottom line.

jwk94

Nooooooo no no no no no. They likely won't try that again.

Unless Ninja Steel and Train Team are completely different people. Even if that means a cast of 12.

Man, I do think they could pull it off with Lynn, but yeah you're probably right. It'll never happen again.

Honestly, looking at the numbers, I'm shocked that Bandai Namco is not pushing Toei/Saban hard to do another Rider show. Kamen Rider has trounced Power Rangers for years in sales. You'd think they'd want to get in on that. Dragon Knight was 2009, we've had 7 years to wash out the taste.

"Kamen RIder? You mean bootleg Power Rangers?" is the very giant wall they'd have to get across before doing KR again. I'd watch a CW KR show though. But yet another pipe dream =(

I don't doubt we'll get Ninja Steel/Super Ninja Steel. It may even be one of the few seasons where the PR version is better than the Sentai.

And I'm sure whatever toys the Movie has will help out the bottom line.

Speaking of the movie, I wonder how it being a success or bomb would affect PR.

On the bright side, Ninninger didn't do many unique things like Go-Bus did, so at least I don't have to bite my lip over anything the show brought to the table being thrown out the window.

I still miss Go-Bus's mech usage...

I remember Judd Lynn saying in an interview that he was working with Saban on another project that got shelved before he started working on Dino Charge. I always wondered if it was related to Kamen Rider.

javadoze

Wow Ninnin did worse than Gobusters? Daaaaaaaaaaamn

Another thing to note about Ninninger is that its TV ratings are essentially on track to be around the same or slightly worse than ToQger's.

ToQger managed to stabilize the ratings drop by Kyoryuger (which had a 3.9% ratings average).
...Go-Busters, on the other hand, had a 4.1% ratings average...

So somehow Ninninger is doing worse in both toy sales and tv ratings than even Go-Busters.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It was used to remote control standalone Watermellon Arms without Riders. It was only used once, to hype Kachidoki by showing it defeating two or three of them by itself.

Rember he used it to summon all those walkers to fight Gaim and Baron?

i dont know why i dont remember that.

On the bright side, Ninninger didn't do many unique things like Go-Bus did, so at least I don't have to bite my lip over anything the show brought to the table being thrown out the window.

I still miss Go-Bus's mech usage...

the thing about gobusters adaptation is that for me if they didnt make it an au show, i was bound to be dissapointed

BatDan

I remember Judd Lynn saying in an interview that he was working with Saban on another project that got shelved before he started working on Dino Charge. I always wondered if it was related to Kamen Rider.

The lost trademark of Power Rider

I think the reason Bandai is holding back on KR in the West is they want someone bigger than Saban. That's just my guess. The time Saban tried KR, it was a humiliating mess. They gave it to a smaller company and that was a big disaster in sooo many ways.

They probably want someone secure, like Warner or Universal or... Disney (that won't happen since they have Marvel/Star Wars and they hated Power Rangers).

Wow Ninnin did worse than Gobusters? Daaaaaaaaaaamn
There's two things people got to remember about Gobusters.

- Toei had huge, outsized expectations on Gobusters doing well. They deliberately made it very different from the usual sentai and spent a shitload of money on it because they wanted to reverse Gosei and Gokai's ratings slump. Which it failed to do.
- The Gobuster year's sales include Gokaiger's 2nd year run and Akibaranger's first season, so its actual toy sales are probably really bad.

Ninninger probably doesn't have all that expectation on it.

How Zyuohger does will be interesting.

vareon

Do gadget-type toys sell in the West? This is just a casual observation, but I see Power Rangers toys are a lot more action figures while Sentai toys are mostly the gadget/gimmicks.

WillyFive

Do gadget-type toys sell in the West? This is just a casual observation, but I see Power Rangers toys are a lot more action figures while Sentai toys are mostly the gadget/gimmicks.

I think this is due to Sentai merchandise aimed for younger kids than Ranger ones. A 5 year old would like different toys than a 9 year old, for example.

The lost trademark of Power Rider

I think the reason Bandai is holding back on KR in the West is they want someone bigger than Saban. That's just my guess. The time Saban tried KR, it was a humiliating mess. They gave it to a smaller company and that was a big disaster in sooo many ways.

They probably want someone secure, like Warner or Universal or... Disney (that won't happen since they have Marvel/Star Wars and they hated Power Rangers).

That sounds about right. I heard the same thing a couple of years ago.

That didn't feel like much of an ending for Ninninger. I think the only real reason I'll have any memory of that show is that it's the year we found out we were pregnant with our twins and that they arrived. Good landmark I guess. Otherwise when they are old enough I'll probably be introducing the shows I watched when I was 5-10 like Changeman, Liveman, Kamen Rider Black etc.

BatDan

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger (series complete)

First the episode itself. Surprised that Kyuuemon got "Redemption Equals Death". He was the "most evil", but that's not saying much as I'll get into in the full summary.
As I thought last episode, all the Ninningers are their own Last Ninja. Just with a different type of title. Cop out, but better than just Takaharu winning.
By the way, no Ha-oh Shruikenjin or Gekiatsu to murderize Kibaoni? Weak...
Also, that Engrish during the epilogue. Was it so hard to find actors that were somewhat fluent? Especially since speaking English was part of their character. I'm not asking for Kane Kosugi, but not "It's clear he doesn't speak English.

As for the show itself. The best word to describe it is... safe. Moreso than ToQger.
While I did enjoy it more than ToQ, it was heavily flawed. Once again there was very little story with most of it taking place in the last six or so episodes. You can't keep doing that Toei.
There was some nice risks, like the Dragon Quest episode, Gekiatsu Dai-Oh (a six-part Megazord introduced 30 episodes in, haven't done that in a while), and giving Taka & Fuuka's dad a couple focus episodes.
Best Ninningers by far were Kasumi and Kinji. Kasumi was competent, fun to watch, felt like she should have been the leader, hell when her personality was transferred to Taka, he was actually fun to watch. Kinji was an "American" cowboy ninja with a burger morpher and hammed it up every chance he could. Even the low moments were enjoyable. I wish he used his poncho more, that was a waste.
Fuuka was alright, I wish they stuck to her being the butt monkey, the brunt of slapstick. Yakumo was also alright, I did like the gag where he said something was an "Englishman's pride" and one of the others would comment that he's not actually English. I didn't get all the "love" episodes, like the one where his lawnmower was turned into a Yokai, or the Yokai that fell in love with him, or the little girl from his magic school.
Nagi was useless. He might as well have not been there, minus the one time he donned Transcendent Mode and was actually awesome. Why couldn't we have more of that?
Takaharu... I'm still convinced he was the product of nepotism. There's bad directing sure, but it's clear that Shunsuke Nishikawa isn't a good actor It didn't help when there was so much focus for the first part of the series. I'm glad they eased up on it and started making him look more like an idiot, but he was still hard to watch. Even after 47 episodes, his catchphrase was still cringe.

The dad was a joy to watch, and like I mentioned above it was cool he got a couple focus episodes. Gramps was... okay that twist where he had to be killed really came out of nowhere. I get that's why he was so rude to his grandchildren, but they didn't really hint at that. Just like that he was dead and that was only until like the last six. Shishio/Lion Ha-Oh could have been great, but he was just kind of there. Along with the guy that crafted the Otomonin, there could have been more to him but he didn't really do much else. So much wasted...
Also, where were the parents? Is Taka and Fuuka's mom dead? The only other we saw was Yakumo's mother, and we know that Kinji's dad and brother are dead. For a show about family, there's very little family to be found. Add that to the list wasted ideas.

But by far the biggest failing of this show was the villains. Holy hell. Coming off of the memorable villains in Go-Busters, Kyoryuger, and ToQger, they felt like a complete joke. A complete waste (there's that word again). The whole show was centered around bringing back Gengetsu Kibaoni, but we barely saw him. I think there was one episode where a Yokai made a bunch of illusions of him, but then nothing else. He doesn't even lose to their most powerful combination, just Gekiatsu Dai-Oh. Also, the constantly open mouth makes it hard to take him seriously.
It's sad when the most interesting aspect of Kyuuemon was people arguing what his/her gender was (turned out to be male). I didn't feel anything when it was revealed he was granddad's student, and the twist that he was Gengetsu's son was just as out of nowhere. Who wrote this?
Wish I could tell you anything about ... *looks up* Masakage Tsugomori and Araki no Kata, other than that the former is Freeza and the latter is Boa Hancock. Ouch...
I kind of liked Mangetsu, but then they killed him.
I also liked Raizou Gabi, but he didn't last either. I think they wanted to do a Takeru & Juzo thing, but they gave up.
So what was the reason they changed the foot soldiers from having coned hats to horns? It was so out of nowhere.

It's certainly not the worst Sentai, it didn't bore me like Gaoranger and there were good ideas in place. But it was so heavily flawed, and really needed better writers or editors.
The recent reports about Ninninger being a flop does paint a picture. Hell it kind of shows when they started bringing in a bunch of cameos like Jiraiya, Magi Yellow, and Shurikenger. At least the first instance with Ninja Red and Hurricane Red made sense, but the last ones felt like ratings desperation.

So far, Zyuohger looks to a be a step up. Hell, they got a Red that can act, and he's not an idiot (three seasons of Idiot Red Rangers is just too much)

That episode was written by Inoue who also got rid of him pretty early in the Diend arc. I guess he just didn't like the character, or the whole AU Rider concept and that was his way of getting him out of the way.

Note that the only AU Riders in his four episodes that didn't have their original actors were the three dark Riders, and they also were the only ones killed, while even Nega Otoya and Daiki's brother survived.

Otoya just ran after that fight and did nothing else afterwards...at least do the goofy dance you did in Kiva!

Now that Ninninger is done do you guys recommend watching it fully?

Yeah. I had a good time watching it and don't have any qualms about telling others to watch.

All I have to say is the show did the one thing I needed to. The same characters we met in Shinobi 1 aren't the same characters we just left in Shinobi 47 and that I appreciate.

Kasumi da bess.

Let's just move on to Furry Minecraft Rangers now.

P.S: Final episode was a bit lacking but much less so if you consider the last 3 episodes as a single one it does all the ending things Sentai usually do in the last one.

Congrats to the graduates!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I honestly liked ToQgers more than this. Both rangers are crappy on varying levels (i.e. ToQ4 and MomoNinger are the only good ones), but I think ToQger has better 6th (seriously, monkey shadow's deadpan is so perfect), and better periphery characters, and much, MUCH better villains, Z aside.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It took until the last episode for them to fully explain the "hey its two families the gramps acts like a dick but really loves everyone, kibaoni is a dick too but worse overall". Could've fooled me, the Igasaki side is feel is fully realized but fucking not on the kibaoni side.

Up until the last 15 minutes of the episode I thought it'd be better to do a Kylo Ren dealie with Kyuuemon. Making him a disciple of gramps that got so pissy he went to the enemy for whatever. The 2 families thing would be OK if they had more things going on the kibaoni side

Top Bottom