• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Holtz

We don't have a ST book thread like the SW thread, do we? I can't be the only one reading them. :/

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my brother actually gave me a deep space nine book written by the guy who played garak. i haven't gotten to it yet--not sure star trek books are really up my alley or if i should stick to the television/movies--but my brother insists it's well-written and interesting stuff, so maybe i'll give it a shot.

Dax01 said:
I thought I should just make a thread for it. OP will be fleshed out when I have more time.

cart-before-horse.jpg

Holtz

beelzebozo said:
my brother actually gave me a deep space nine book written by the guy who played garak. i haven't gotten to it yet--not sure star trek books are really up my alley or if i should stick to the television/movies--but my brother insists it's well-written and interesting stuff, so maybe i'll give it a shot.
Yeah, that book is amazing. It's Garak's autobiography written in a letter sent to Dr. Bashir after the DS9 finale
when Cardassia is in ruins
. Riveting stuff. Actually, all the DS9 post finale books are great.

dalyr95

I reading the Gamma Missions at the moment, they started off well especially the ones with the Enterprise but the more I read the more mundane they get. I can't find a copy of Garak's tome (can't remember the name) for a reasonable price!

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I'm not a book elitist, but the problem I have had with books based upon pre-existing franchises is that they read like glorified fanfiction. Few of them actually use language in a sophisticated and artful sense (I remember liking Diane Carey though), and most are even worse at coming up with original content. Some people excel at using pre-existing characters and taking them in new dimensions. After all, cinema's filled with it. But I sometimes feel that most of these books are worth reading only because they use things that have already been established by other more competent writers. There are a few exceptions, of course, but I find this true for the vast quantity of them.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, i generally feel that way as well. there's also something really bizarre about getting every inner thought of a character that we're otherwise only used to reading from the outside. so when a book opens with:

"mccoy opened the refrigerator, only to find that his precious romulan ale had been swiped. mccoy couldn't get his day started without a swig of romulan ale. dammit jim, he thought."

. . . something just seems weird and silly about it.

Holtz said:
We don't have a ST book thread like the SW thread, do we? I can't be the only one reading them. :/
Hoo boy. This seems like something I should put in one of the infrequent confessions threads. I've had a lot of time to read this year, and the vast majority of it has ended up being licensed SF fluff. I am currently on my 35th Trek book of the year. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is TNG ever going to come on Blu-ray? Will how they taped it limit HD benefits?

I was thinking from previous threads about so many episodes I loved that I forgot all about. I'd love to rewatch the whole thing again, preferably in HD.

dalyr95

I remember reading somewhere that TNG was filmed on video not film, so there are no "masters" that can be a HD copy could of been made

Holtz

Mgoblue201 said:
I'm not a book elitist, but the problem I have had with books based upon pre-existing franchises is that they read like glorified fanfiction. Few of them actually use language in a sophisticated and artful sense (I remember liking Diane Carey though), and most are even worse at coming up with original content. Some people excel at using pre-existing characters and taking them in new dimensions. After all, cinema's filled with it. But I sometimes feel that most of these books are worth reading only because they use things that have already been established by other more competent writers. There are a few exceptions, of course, but I find this true for the vast quantity of them.
That's true for the vast majority of the ST and SW books. There is a shitload of garbage with the ST logo. BUT there are quite a few books that truly manage to capture the essence of the series they are based on, and expand it in believable ways. Like the Thrawn trilogy for SW, or for ST the DS9 relaunch (despite that the end of the Gamma mission fizzled out a little), a Stitch in Time (Garak's book), the DS9 Millenium Trilogy or the currently coming out and totally awesome Destiny trilogy.
292px-A_Stitch_in_Time.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i imagine once it is released on blu-ray it will be ludicrously expensive. that may not matter to you, but i can't bring myself to buy too many star trek dvd sets, considering how jaw-droppingly pricey it appears to be to own a whole series.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I stopped reading Star Trek books when I entered high school. There were some solid ones that still stand up such as Probe and Best Destiny. I tried to read Articles of the Federation in order to get some gauge of the post-Nemesis world, but it was a pretty bad book. I wouldn't mind getting reacquainted with that universe when I can, but right now I have a backlog (Audacity of Hope, The Road, Grapes of Wrath, and Infinite Jest), and I'm a notoriously infrequent reader because I rarely find time to focus my mind on a book.

Cheebs

That's the cheesiest book cover I ever saw. :lol I never got the love of Garak. He always annoyed me. DS9 wise my favorite character was Jadzia Dax followed by Bashir and O'Brien.

Jadzia Dax is my favorite Trek character ever next to McCoy, Chekov (I dunno why I just always loved Chekov) and Data I would say.

besada

Banned
I used to read a ton of Star Trek novelizations when they were about TOS.

I still recommend Price of the Phoenix and Fate of the Phoenix, since the basic plot of Nemesis was ripped from their pages.

It's about a Kirk clone that winds up as part of the Romulan empire, but it's a much deeper story than that, involving some fairly serious mind-melding, an insane Romulan named Omne with a dead-man switch that's nearly impossible to kill, and a black market for Kirk clones.

I've read all the novelizations of TAS, too. Those were some good times. I first read Larry Niven because of those stories.

Busty said:
I came for the needless DS9 complaining.

I stayed for the OP.

People liked DS9? Seriously ... I grew up with the series, but never was able to get into DS9.

I still think the best "enemy" in sci-fi is easily The Borg.

MisterHero

fuck baseball

i like KHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

earl grey is awesome too

I wish the Shat were in this new movie but I'm still pumped for new Star Trek

Busty

Banned
Fenderputty said:
People liked DS9? Seriously ... I grew up with the series, but never was able to get into DS9.

Granted, before Worf came in the series was growing more and more stale by the episode.

But as soon as 'Way Of The Warrior' aired it all changed.

The Dominion war was a great story arc and even managed to tie into the whole (and crushingly dull) Bajor storyline nicely.

Seriously. How can anyone question DS9 when it featured Jeffrey Combs as Wayun. Possibly one of the greatest characters (and performances from Combs) in a genre TV show in the last ten 10/15 years.

gofreak said:
Is TNG ever going to come on Blu-ray? Will how they taped it limit HD benefits?

I was thinking from previous threads about so many episodes I loved that I forgot all about. I'd love to rewatch the whole thing again, preferably in HD.

They're going to have to redo the Special effects shots as they were all in 480p.

MC Safety

Instigator said:
True, Hugh and Lore helped undermine the Borg, but what TNG giveth, can TNG taketh.

Well, it's not just that. I pointed out the episode where Data put them all to sleep—a command which, oddly, blew up an entire Borg ship—as evidence of their ineptitude.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the cardassians are my favorite trek villains. they're complex and interesting, a strange combination of dignity and barbarism, without seeming too similar to the more simplistic and borderline silly "warrior culture" of the klingons. two of my favorite characters on ds9 were cardassians. the fact that it's always sort of unclear whether they're "villains" per se is what makes them so interesting and fun to me. the borg are boring because, as mentioned before, they're simple: big hordes of mindless space robot zombies. that's cool, but it's limited as hell.

plus, they look like they have dragon necks or something. the design of them is just really great, from the concept to the way they look physically.

Instigator said:
That looks so stupid...
Cheebs said:
That's the cheesiest book cover I ever saw. :lol
Yeah, admittedly that is not exactly the tops in cover art. :lol

Holtz said:
the DS9 Millenium Trilogy
I think of the many I've read this year, these were my favorite. A big story that probably could've taken a third or half of a season if put on-screen, yet each book had a very different angle rather than just seeming like one book split into thirds. My only problem was there wasn't enough of a "reset button" at the end. In most cases we can just ignore books that happen between weekly episodes since the happenings aren't any more important than a minor episode, but for a show that references past happenings as much as DS9 does it was kinda hard to buy that this "really" took place and they just never talked about it afterward.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DarkJediKnight said:
They're going to have to redo the Special effects shots as they were all in 480p.

:(

dalyr95 said:
I remember reading somewhere that TNG was filmed on video not film, so there are no "masters" that can be a HD copy could of been made

:*(

Cheebs

I believe TOS and ENT are the only ones that could be re-released on Blu-Ray without spending massive amount of money redoing all the effects shots from scratch. Perhaps VOY and DS9 as well but I don't believe so.

Holtz

JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, admittedly that is not exactly the tops in cover art. :lol
Cover art for the books are usually a cheap collage made in photoshop, or a crappy drawing like the Stitch of Time cover. So it`s not like there IS a top in cover art. :lol

Busty said:
Granted, before Worf came in the series was growing more and more stale by the episode.

But as soon as 'Way Of The Warrior' aired it all changed.

The Dominion war was a great story arc and even managed to tie into the whole (and crushingly dull) Bajor storyline nicely.

Seriously. How can anyone question DS9 when it featured Jeffrey Combs as Wayun. Possibly one of the greatest characters (and performances from Combs) in a genre TV show in the last ten 10/15 years.

After TNG, the series seemed so dull. It was like star trek had become a soap opera in space. Voyager was ok, but still nothing compared to the series I grew up on. I think the top two series were the original and TNG. Kirk and Picard were awesome. Almost every character in both of those series were likable. The original sill has a certain comedic appeal that other series seemed to lack.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Fenderputty said:
After TNG, the series seemed so dull. It was like star trek had become a soap opera in space. Voyager was ok, but still nothing compared to the series I grew up on. I think the top two series were the original and TNG. Kirk and Picard were awesome. Almost every character in both of those series were likable. The original sill has a certain comedic appeal that other series seemed to lack.

All star trek series are pretty good, but none come close to Next Generation. That show was remarkably progressive. The 3rd season episode "Who Watches the Watchers" unapologetically calls religion a detriment to the advancement of civilization. Something no star trek, or any tv show would have the balls to do anymore.

That being said, even the worst star trek series, I enjoy more than any other space show. I just can't get into Firefly, Babylon 5, or Battlestar(I might try to get into this one again). Something about the star trek future, and the victory of everything good about humanity makes me enjoy it more than any other.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
MC Safety said:
Well, it's not just that. I pointed out the episode where Data put them all to sleep—a command which, oddly, blew up an entire Borg ship—as evidence of their ineptitude.
...that was Best of Both Worlds, Part II.

Cheebs

Dax01 said:
:lol :lol

OP updated. If anyone wants anything else added, just ask.
Well since you put little things for the tv shows wouldn't the old movies get cool little nonsense stuff too?

EDIT: I just saw the link lol.

Do you think you should link to www.startrekmovie.com ? It's the official site of the movie.

Zen

Banned
I don't see why we need multiple threads for this. It's only natural taht people discuss the things associated with a topic in a topic. In this case, StarTrek in a thread about the new StarTrek movie.

Tobor

I just can't wait to see Kirk, Spock, and Bones patrolling the galaxy in the Enterprise again. This remake is long, long overdue. I hated Enterprise as much as anyone, but I'm glad it was there to hit rock bottom, so Paramount could do what was needed. Nuke the franchise and start over.

Tobor said:
I just can't wait to see Kirk, Spock, and Bones patrolling the galaxy in the Enterprise again. This remake is long, long overdue. I hated Enterprise as much as anyone, but I'm glad it was there to hit rock bottom, so Paramount could do what was needed. Nuke the franchise and start over.

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm going to pick up all three TOS remastered seasons tomorrow and start reliving the memories before the movie comes out.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
been mentioned once i think, but the entire first season of t.o.s. is up on netflix stream instantly. gotta love that new xbox functionality.

Boogie

Cheebs said:
That's the cheesiest book cover I ever saw. :lol I never got the love of Garak. He always annoyed me. DS9 wise my favorite character was Jadzia Dax followed by Bashir and O'Brien.

Jadzia Dax is my favorite Trek character ever next to McCoy, Chekov (I dunno why I just always loved Chekov) and Data I would say.

There's seriously something wrong with you, Cheebs. Sure Jadzia was hot, but favourite Trek character ever?

Seriously, you need to turn in your Trek fan credentials and GTFO.

dalyr95 said:

TNG was filmed on 35mm film, like most "single camera" shows were. Post was done on video, though, which is the sticking point for HD.

But, who knows if the original film is still around.

Cheebs

Tobor said:
Same here. I know its new actors and all that but the idea that we get to see the trio saving the day once again on the big screen is something special.

I love most of Trek but there is something magical about the Kirk, Spock, & McCoy that nothing else can compare to.

Seeing the original crew in the classic 60's uniforms saving the day? Couldn't ask for anything more.

Boogie said:
There's seriously something wrong with you, Cheebs. Sure Jadzia was hot, but favourite Trek character ever?

Seriously, you need to turn in your Trek fan credentials and GTFO.
I've had a HUUUUUGE crush on Terry Farrell since I saw Back to School. I want her to be the mother of my children. SO SUE ME.

Top Bottom