• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Orville |OT| MacFarlane's sci-fi com-, wait it's a drama!? That can't be right

Xenus

The people who like it say yes, the people who don't say no.

Some of the jokes really miss and lot of times it seems like the just ignore some pretty far reaching implications just to wrap up an episode in the last 10-15 mins rather then making it a 2 parter. However over all it's decent.

compo

Banned
I'm not sure whether that Avis product placement was intentional or not. I hope it doesn't become a trend. At the same time though, it's kind of impressive that they managed to work product placement into a sci-fi series 400 years into the future, assuming it was intentional.

Pretty good episode, anyway. The Krill seems like they're supposed to be analogous to ISIS.

Ristifer

Really liked tonight's episode. The humour had more flow to it and was much more natural. The plot had consequences, it was well paced. Good stuff.

megalowho

I appreciate that the show is willing to end stories on a melancholy note, particularly when dealing with social or real world analogues. And yea, whether the Avis jokes were product placement or not, it was a good bit.

The AVIS stuff was obviously not intentionally product placement. C’mon.

Another strong episode that touched on current social issues and wasn’t afraid to put the heroes in a difficult moral situation.

As someone mentioned the humour was a lot better this week. It didn’t feel forced.

My favourite joke was the one about families being on the planet. I love that someone mentions all the single people as well. I practically spit my drink at that.

Xenus

The AVIS stuff was obviously not intentionally product placement. C’mon.

Another strong episode that touched on current social issues and wasn’t afraid to put the heroes in a difficult moral situation.

As someone mentioned the humour was a lot better this week. It didn’t feel forced.

My favourite joke was the one about families being on the planet. I love that someone mentions all the single people as well. I practically spit my drink at that.

Eh the door gag felt a bit forced but loved the leg joke.

If/When this does get renewed I give it 2 episodes into Season 2 before he finds an excuse to have an episode where he's a Swing Singer.

DBT85

Katniss Everdeen lol.

Avis cover the loss of our vehicle.

Comedy was better, the door squeeze gag had me wondering what century the comedy is from though.

A better episode for sure.

My main feeling though is that everyone who isn't the main cast feels so much more natural in a scifi/trek show than the main cast, probably because they are mostly playing it straight, and that Seth is the one holding everything back on camera. That corridor walk scene, he looked so awkward.

And he didn't call anyone a dick, mention dicks or talk about his divorce. Win win. Also, no jars of pickles were opened.

Yeah the leg joke and the single people jokes were great. The last two weeks have had better pacing with the humor and the drama. I would agree the show has gotten better each week

Edit: forgot about the Katniss joke lol

jb1234

Man, the suspension of disbelief was strong in this one. Those two were behaving like such imbeciles that they should have been arrested within five minutes of starting their undercover operation. That said, this was probably the first truly successful episode for me, entertaining, the jokes better applied (for the most part) and suspenseful. And I appreciate that they're willing to go into darker, more ambiguous territories. I actually liked MacFarlane more as a Krill. Maybe because I didn't have to see him try to act as much.

(I did groan when the lady repeated "they will be". We got it the first time, guys.)

Really liked this episode and liked the part at the beginning where they had that one dude eating stuff. And the Avis joke was pretty good.

I'm really starting to enjoy it, any word on the ratings?

Sir Doom

I really like the Krill design. That’s really a small set. They just re-use it so many times. 😂
I don’t know I like the dumb jokes and really good contrast of the seriousness of a SCI-if show

The Avis jokes are killing me.

Ristifer

I was expecting them to make a big gag out of how big the book was, as I figured they were just going to try to steal it and get out of there. But then they literally stand there and scan all of the pages.

For some reason, I was just laughing my ass off at that whole sequence.

Sloane

Banned
I think I'm coming around on it. I still can't stand Seth or his humor but the last few episodes have been pretty decent, it's a better show than STD, and, well at least it is Star Trek. Kinda hope it continues.

Ri'Orius

Y'know, I've never been a fan of the Trek trope where the captain invents a brilliant new tactic on-the fly. The whole "can you do X?" "yes, but that will-" "do it!" kind of exchange. Maybe if there's some weird phenomenon going on it can make sense, but if skimming the atmosphere worked as a defensive technique I'd expect it to be an established thing already.

I'm also really struggling with the pop culture references hundreds of years in the future. Like, the odd Beyonce or Friends reference I can maybe buy as significant works of culture from this era, but Avis? I don't know that much about 20th century rental car companies: how the hell do two randoms in the future immediately think of that?

That said, despite its flaws I do like the show. And I look forward to seeing how things develop with the Krill, now that we've got their holy book, a prisoner, and an entire warship to study.

I keep coming back to the idea that this is rough, but in all the right ways. Giving them time to settle in to the roles and the universe, I think this will be a really good show. I like all the ingredients, the soup just needs to cook a little more.

Dan1984uk

Banned
I've enjoyed every episode so far, but the last 3 episodes have been great, like others have said the humour is getting better as the show goes on as are the stories, really love the ST the next generation vibe that the show has, I will also say that I prefer Orville to ST Discovery.

MC Safety

I was expecting them to make a big gag out of how big the book was, as I figured they were just going to try to steal it and get out of there. But then they literally stand there and scan all of the pages.

For some reason, I was just laughing my ass off at that whole sequence.

The Xerox joke was well done.

That was a great episode. I enjoyed it from start to finish and it had some good humor to go with the Star Trek-style moral quandaries.

The best Star Trek was always about people and ideas. I'm glad to see Orville gets this.

Finally got around to watching the latest episode

Loved it, but I can see it ruffling the feathers of most of it's american audience a bit (for religious reasons)

But who cares?

and the endings...... I'm so used to things wrapping themselves up in a nice little bow-tie by the end of an episode but this was so..... nihilistic.

Not complaining but I dunno' I guess this ending was more realistic than the idealistic one i was hoping for
(That they'd realize humans weren't all that bad because they saved the kids, but the ending they went with made sense also, still sucks tho)

Jag

That ending was pretty dramatic. The way it was shot,
when they all fry
, had an old TOS feel to it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watched some TNG recently. Much of it does not hold up well at all. Patrick Stewart was the saving grace of that show. Going to stick with my fond memories instead.
TNG is great. Come on now. lol

Even some of the second season episodes are good.

MC Safety

Woah back there.

So far, it's steered clear of the baggage of Star Trek: The Next Generation including (but not limited to): the annoying ship's counselor, the godawful child flying the ship and saving everyone every second episode, and the planet of the black people.

Meanwhile every woman wants to bang the captain so... :p lol
I'm fairly certain Seth is a dating Halston Sage. I'm also fairly certain all his exes will appear on The Orville.

In fact, I'm fairly certain we're going to get from Seth...
  • His character doing the Stewie Griffin voice. Long shot - The Peter Griffin voice.
  • As someone already mentioned, Seth singing a swing/jazz/lounge/Sinatra song.
  • The above, but in a duet with Brent Spiner, Scott Bakula, James Darren or (long shot) Avery Brooks.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Really enjoying this show, and have been quite surprised that they are always going for happy endings.

Top Bottom