• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How about we feature one book in the OT that fits into the current month?

This months book would for example be a recommention about the original Secret Empire, where Not-Reagan was demasked as a Secret Empire member? And when The Button is featured a short recommention of Watchmen?

mreddie

I need to dig out that Revolution one-shot where Barber tried to tie all the previous material together to see what it says about Jem.

Although to be fair his approach seemed to be "Keep the post-war Transformers stuff because it's been mostly good/successful, jettison as much of the rest as possible."

Didn't IDW heads wanted to keep Jem and basically started it?

MASK and Action Man are already gone.

It's like that, we need there to be Valiant readers among us, and maybe even read an issue ourselves so that we appreciate the other books more.

This works. I cured comic book burnout last year by reading Valiant for a month. Everything from Marvel, Image, and DC felt like a 10/10 after that.

Sometimes I am a bit afraid of myself how much Spidey knowledge I can radomly drop when People casualy ask lol.

If only you could find a way to monetize such knowledge...

I've never had anyone casually ask me anything about comic properties. I'm not even sure how that would come up in conversation. "Hey, Tragic, what's the deal with that Miles guy?"

Done with v3 of Usagi Yojimbo Saga. Some great stuff. Usagi's Sensei's story about the three axes was hilarious. Kitsune's backstory was heart breaking (and it also tied into her ever present comb!)

Also, I think the location for the big fight in the story before that was clearly chosen so that we get this panel...

sYlG4ZR.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Thanks for the Hoopla tip, it has almost everything I want to read! Woohoo!

I'd add Hostage to the Guy Delisle recs and really anything by Adrian Tomine is great. Nice list!

I would recommend Tomine's Optic Nerve collections.

No one reads the OT so why do we even do that?

I love the OT. I'm excited to read it every month!

Dark Horse can be up and down, partly because a bunch of their good books move as series of mini series and just don't show up every month. Partly because they just don't do a ton of original books, they still like their licenses and those pass in and out of good and bad. They're putting some consistent stuff out these days though, even aside from the Mignolaverse books. Black Hammer, Dept. H, Harrow County, Lady Killer. Alien and Conan have been pretty consistent on the license end, and then HB stuff. 3 books might do folks here though.

I've enjoyed lots of Dark Horse. Used to love Dark Horse Presents before I got way behind on comics. Can you tell me more about these bolded books? I noticed Black Hammer at the shop today and was reminded that it's a Lemire joint. I've read the first issue Lady Killer. Really liked it but it's that thing where there's just too many good damn comics.

Speaking of which, I'm up to issue #5 of The Spire. Can't wait to re-read it once the mystery has been unraveled.

Work and reading the original Spidey 2099 run kept me really busy this weekend. Did everyone buy more figures?

Of course. I got my Wonder Woman training outfit statue in the mail yesterday. The likeness is the best Gal Gadot so far, outside of the upcoming Kotobukiya 1/6 figure.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I would recommend Tomine's Optic Nerve collections.

I love the OT. I'm excited to read it every month!

I've enjoyed lots of Dark Horse. Used to love Dark Horse Presents before I got way behind on comics. Can you tell me more about these bolded books? I noticed Black Hammer at the shop today and was reminded that it's a Lemire joint. I've read the first issue Lady Killer. Really liked it but it's that thing where there's just too many good damn comics.

Speaking of which, I'm up to issue #5 of The Spire. Can't wait to re-read it once the mystery has been unraveled.

I'll let Donnie tell you more about it because he's way better at that sort of thing but I'll just say Black Hammer is great and you should definitely check it out.

I'll let Donnie tell you more about it because he's way better at that sort of thing but I'll just say Black Hammer is great and you should definitely check it out.

Aw c'mon Brian, don't sell yourself short! What he really means is "call me when we're talking about Image books".

Okay so

The Black Hammer - Very much the next step in Lemire's thoughts about the meaning of family and the initially odd seeming places those bonds can come from. The set up is effectively a group of heroes who have found themselves mysteriously retired to a place called the farm against their will, and their trials and tribulations living as a family unite while they try to unravel the mystery behind their surrounding and escape. It's really obviously a love letter to classic heroes on one level, a clever subversion on the other with each archetype given a very modern twist and just a fun book all around.

Dept. H - by Matt Kindt, with really beautiful watercolours by his wife Sharlene. This is also a really character focused story concerning itself with family, set within the trappings of a somewhat locked room mystery. The lead character's father has been murdered on an ocean floor research station as the result of sabotage, anyone on board could have been responsible and thus no one can enter or leave until the culprit is found, and the lead character is sent to investigate. In addition to her brother as one of the suspects, there are all sorts of unusual characters and mysteries awaiting in the depths, and the book has a really great eerie sometimes kind of tripping feel as things continue to spiral out of control. There's actually a bit of an interesting alt history thing going on on the surface, and I found it really engaging as the book moved between the past and present in the first vol finding out all the different ideas and beats Kindt has in place ready to go. Really methodical pacing.

Harrow County - A coming of age adventure mixed with horror and creepiness. Emmy is a home schooled farm girl who yearns to see the larger world and spends her days traipsing the woods and fields when she's not doing chores or helping with the animals. Her bedroom window also happens to look out onto the hill where the villagers of Harrow County hung a witch 15 years ago. Things don't take long to start getting weird from there. This book is really fun with incredible artwork by Tyler Crook, theres a real sense of nature and place in his work that I love. Bunn's writing is good but quite wordy, he has a bit of a prosey storytelling style to his narration that I think suits the book, but might not be for everyone? It adds to the semi fairytale vibe though, mixed in with teasing you about all the strange things hiding in the dark corners of Harrow County waiting to grab you. Quite touching and heartwarming and sometimes a bit disturbing haha. No end to the ideas and lots of world building from the word go.

Oh and The Spire really is worth rereading once you reach the end. Totally aside from the actual plot resolutions, it is unbelievably strong with its character arcs and thematic ideas it puts forth, and the end is really thought provoking in terms of what you might take from earlier scenes once you've experienced the whole.

Okay so

The Black Hammer - Very much the next step in Lemire's thoughts about the meaning of family and the initially odd seeming places those bonds can come from. The set up is effectively a group of heroes who have found themselves mysteriously retired to a place called the farm against their will, and their trials and tribulations living as a family unite while they try to unravel the mystery behind their surrounding and escape. It's really obviously a love letter to classic heroes on one level, a clever subversion on the other with each archetype given a very modern twist and just a fun book all around.

Dept. H - by Matt Kindt, with really beautiful watercolours by his wife Sharlene. This is also a really character focused story concerning itself with family, set within the trappings of a somewhat locked room mystery. The lead character's father has been murdered on an ocean floor research station as the result of sabotage, anyone on board could have been responsible and thus no one can enter or leave until the culprit is found, and the lead character is sent to investigate. In addition to her brother as one of the suspects, there are all sorts of unusual characters and mysteries awaiting in the depths, and the book has a really great eerie sometimes kind of tripping feel as things continue to spiral out of control. There's actually a bit of an interesting alt history thing going on on the surface, and I found it really engaging as the book moved between the past and present in the first vol finding out all the different ideas and beats Kindt has in place ready to go. Really methodical pacing.

Harrow County - A coming of age adventure mixed with horror and creepiness. Emmy is a home schooled farm girl who yearns to see the larger world and spends her days traipsing the woods and fields when she's not doing chores or helping with the animals. Her bedroom window also happens to look out onto the hill where the villagers of Harrow County hung a witch 15 years ago. Things don't take long to start getting weird from there. This book is really fun with incredible artwork by Tyler Crook, theres a real sense of nature and place in his work that I love. Bunn's writing is good but quite wordy, he has a bit of a prosey storytelling style to his narration that I think suits the book, but might not be for everyone? It adds to the semi fairytale vibe though, mixed in with teasing you about all the strange things hiding in the dark corners of Harrow County waiting to grab you. Quite touching and heartwarming and sometimes a bit disturbing haha. No end to the ideas and lots of world building from the word go.

Oh and The Spire really is worth rereading once you reach the end. Totally aside from the actual plot resolutions, it is unbelievably strong with its character arcs and thematic ideas it puts forth, and the end is really thought provoking in terms of what you might take from earlier scenes once you've experienced the whole.

Fantastic. Thank you, buddy. I am definitely sold on checking out Black Hammer and Dept H. Water colors? Unf.

I am just loving The Spire. I've been reading an issue a day and it really sits with me. I gave my gf the first issue, too, and she loved it. She's on board with God Shaper, too. Good taste in comics, that one.

Have you read Spurrier's Numbercruncher? It's was a 4-part mini released by Titan comics a few years ago. It's been collected. It may be my favorite thing from Spurrier so far. The art is quite different from Stokely. And it's black and white. But I just loved it so damn much. I'll need to give it a re-read one day soon.

Man, I need to catch up on Atomic Robo. I'm like five or six trades behind. I buy them as they come out, but I haven't actually done the reading part in some time. It's a really swell book, though.

I'm bored. So LIST TIME!

Black Road #10
Black Science #30
Kill or Be Killed #9
Monstress #10
Spencer and Locke #2

I forgot it was a Sunday. Also I am watching Get Out.

Aliens: Dead Orbit #2
Kill or Be Killed #9
Monstress #12
Sex Criminals #19
Gwenpool #16
Hulk #6
Doctor Aphra #7
Thanos #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom