• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 has suspend/resume (sleep) mode

RoKKeR

I think this is huge for the PS4. Having this feature on Vita is fantastic, and it just makes the overall experience so much better. Hit the sleep button, go do something else, and pick up right where you left off.

Microsoft better have some good tricks up their sleeves.

Nafai1123

Banned
Best new feature that surprised me. I'm sick of waiting for my PS3 to boot, load the game, wait for the initial credits, load my save, and finally start playing (not to mention if there is a OS or game update).

This plus background downloads and game downloads while playing sounds like it will make for a VERY fluid OS experience.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's great. My free time is often broken up by other things and booting up a console is enough of a hindrance that I will tend to do something more immediate. It makes it more appealing for those 15-30 minute slices of time and coupled with the remote play it could be in the kitchen, in bed, whatever. I almost never play a console game unless I know I'll have 1+ hours

If there is a loss of power I'm assuming the RAM will be lost, although there are those hybrid drives which transfer RAM to HDD on battery power in the event of a power cut. But likely it'll be like the PSP, convenience feature but keep saving often.

Love this feature, though I would like to know exactly how much power it pulls in this suspended state. If for nothing else my inner geek likes putting numbers to things, and I will probably never turn my PS4 off with this.....so the more you know.

This is quietly the biggest feature they showed off today.

All the share stuff is potentially a huge step forward, but not everyone has the bandwidth or social situation to get the most out of it.

Other than the share button, I don't remember a single new controller feature being demonstrated today. No touchpad use, no controller tracking shown besides Media Molecule's Move presentation.

The pause and resume functionality is just such a nice feature that addresses one of the biggest complaints about this past console generation: the time it takes to start playing a game with all the slow front ends, logos, ads, and game patches. Then it takes things a step further and lets us pause and resume at any time. Handhelds have been able to do this forever, because of the nature of how they are used, but it took them far too long to realize that sometimes you have to stop what you're doing and take care of life at home, as well.

I don't have kids, but have listened to enough recent fathers to think that this could be a huge difference maker for them if for some reason Microsoft DOESN'T have this on the way or decide to add it in response.

Ballistik

Really impressive features with the PS4, this being one of them. Microsoft needs something up its sleeves, or I'm going with Sony.
*Coming from a Xbox 360 owner since 2006

Carl

Best feature of the console IMO. Doing this on handhelds is just so great. No "Oh shit i have to find a checkpoint before i can leave" or anything. Just press a button, come back later and jump back in immediately.

Win.

leroidys

I love this so much. I never even bother turning on my ps3 anymore because I have to wait for it to boot, select my game, load my save, and go from the save point to wherever I was before I had to save. I always just grab my vita and am instantly playing from right where I was before. It's beautiful.

Carl

My other favorite feature from this unveiling. God, the OS on this thing is very well thought out.

Yeah good to see they planned ahead this time and are integrating things like network at a base level. Rather than make an OS then try and cram shit in afterwards.

aganu

This is a GREAT feature! I hate how it takes ages for current gen consoles to get you from boot-up to initializing the game to loading your save.

FourMyle

I'm really glad how they seemed to have focused on cutting down boot -> play time from last gen. The one thing consoles have always historically had over PCs is their easy of entry. With the PS3/360 it always felt sluggish just booting up the system.

Derrick01

Banned
PR also mentions multi-tasking, as least web browsing while a game is running.

Would make sense since Vita can do it. With Cerny in charge of this shit I would expect all of PS3's problems (trophy syncing, slow downloads/installs, other OS issues) to be completely fixed.

CREMSteve

Pretty much everything about the OS seems like it was designed precisely how I wanted it. This is a fantastic feature that I will get great use out of. Fuck having to sit through EA's logos, trademarks and copyright info on NHL games, Power button - Game on.

Sold!

Probably my favorite thing about the console. I LOVE that feature on handhelds and I will love it on a console. Just being able to pick up and play for 20 minutes is great.

Glad that the OS seems promising. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the social aspects, but as long as downloading and updating are less intrusive than they were on the PS3, I can't hate too much.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Yep. Makes me wish they would have talked about how they handle games on disc.

There's nothing stopping them. Rumors are they're taking it one step further and letting you have multiple games open at the same time.
Why would you even want to have multiple games running at the same time? Hmm.. It may be useful in certain situations but not groundbreaking and not to mention the performance of the games may be affected.

I'm glad that both Nextbox (Probably) and PS4 will be able to suspend.

Derrick01

Banned
There's nothing stopping them. Rumors are they're taking it one step further and letting you have multiple games open at the same time.

I still can't get over how ridiculous that part of the rumor was. What possible advantage would that bring to anyone?

I like the idea of having multiple discs in the system at once because I'm super lazy, but running at the same time? I would never use that.

This is quietly the biggest feature they showed off today.

All the share stuff is potentially a huge step forward, but not everyone has the bandwidth or social situation to get the most out of it.

Other than the share button, I don't remember a single new controller feature being demonstrated today. No touchpad use, no controller tracking shown besides Media Molecule's Move presentation.

The pause and resume functionality is just such a nice feature that addresses one of the biggest complaints about this past console generation: the time it takes to start playing a game with all the slow front ends, logos, ads, and game patches. Then it takes things a step further and lets us pause and resume at any time. Handhelds have been able to do this forever, because of the nature of how they are used, but it took them far too long to realize that sometimes you have to stop what you're doing and take care of life at home, as well.

I don't have kids, but have listened to enough recent fathers to think that this could be a huge difference maker for them if for some reason Microsoft DOESN'T have this on the way or decide to add it in response.

well said

My favorite feature of the Vita makes its way to consoles. Amazing.

And just as console+game bootup times were getting terrible. Turning on the PS3 and THEN waiting for one of those games with 10 unskippable logos was getting to be annoying as fuck.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
It seems like Sony really nailed it when it came to the OS and introducing great new features there... Out of all of them, this is perhaps my favorite. I love the idea of this! It's those wonderful small polish things that can push a good product to an amazing one.

Top Bottom