• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahtzee: Kid Icarus: Uprising and Hurt Nintendo Fans

The dude is a comedian, not a critic. His point is to make people laugh. Getting upset at that seems... insane.

I don't know that he is a terribly talented comedian, I will watch a bunch of his videos in a row, chuckle, and then not watch any for 3 months. But it's clear to me what his intent is.

I think the funniest part of the whole thing is that people consider it a troll. Like any attempt at humor is now something bigger - it's the desire to see people upset - or something.

I also think that it points to fanboys so delusional that they want the guy that makes fun of EVERYTHING to say good things about their product of choice because that will make them feel like better people. Or something.

This whole thread hurts my head.

You're implying that experience is the same though. Like I said, he crafts his words well that they sound convincing. That's why I'd rather prefer something like AVGN - at least even if he intentionally plays it roughly, at least there's the video going for it that works with the routine - you KNOW he is faking it.
I'm talking things you can easily tell are factual inaccuracies by playing the game. Experience will be different with everyone, but he has no reason to lie about his experience. Even when he is accentuating the negative about a game he likes he'll still leave a little room for the video to say he enjoyed the game regardless of what he disliked about it. If he was going to lie about his experience and just say "this game is shit" he wouldn't leave some praise for it.

Sianos

As far as control issues go, Yahtzee just has girl hands. A real man punches through concrete until his hands are unable to bleed. He makes up for it with his sweet hat, though.

In all seriousness, can see how the controls are a problem if you are a lefty or take care of your hands. I suggest using a finger stylus cap (those still exist, right) and doing finger push up respectively.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Show me the last non-Nintendo game that he trashed despite being well regarded and not trashed similarly elsewhere.
That's a genuine request, I'm sure there are some but I can remember any as it's the Nintendo ones that really stand out.

Witcher 1 and Dead Space just on top of my head...There are a lot more.

Maybe he means just Yahtzee reviews?

That's what I thought as well.

Marlowe89

delusions of a corporation being their friend

Or, in the simplest explanation possible, the consensus is that Nintendo generally develops quality games? It's not as if these guys just jump on the fan board for no reason.

I mean this is generally the response "reviewers" get when they're perceived as not giving games a fair shake. See also: Eurogamer, Game Informer, etc.

The fact that you people even act like it's solely a Nintendo thing is hilarious.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm talking things you can easily tell are factual inaccuracies by playing the game. Experience will be different with everyone, but he has no reason to lie about his experience. Even when he is accentuating the negative about a game he likes he'll still leave a little room for the video to say he enjoyed the game regardless of what he disliked about it. If he was going to lie about his experience and just say "this game is shit" he wouldn't leave some praise for it.

The problem is that it's hard to tell the "factual inaccuracies" if you haven't played the game, unless of course you go by to reviews or word of mouth (how reliable are those?), which is kinda ironic. And sure, he has reasons to lie - he is a professional troll after all.

Note that I don't really care about which game he reviews or such - I just think his videos regardless of subject are insipid with regards to the claims of his fans.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I will say this...

If people who like Nintendo are deluded that a corporation is "their friend", the what does this say about people who think Yahtzee is some kind of champion, and the "last honest critic"?

Yahtzee, with his t-shirt sales, wall-to-wall ads surrounding Zero Punctuation on The Escapist, etc?

His act and persona - whether he continues acting that way offline or not - is designed to get hits. People love a good freakshow. Yahtzee is gaming's premiere ranting freakshow.

I think, like all such personalities, what actually gets people annoyed is mostly not Yahtzee himself, but his hardcore fans. Many of whom seem to take him as a word of god precisely because it's cool to hate, and there's a common notion that massive negativity must somehow be intrinsically more "truthful".

Boss Doggie

I will say this...

If people who like Nintendo are deluded that a corporation is "their friend", the what does this say about people who think Yahtzee is some kind of champion, and the "last honest critic"?

Yahtzee, with his t-shirt sales, wall-to-wall ads surrounding Zero Punctuation on The Escapist, etc?

His act and persona - whether he continues acting that way offline or not - is designed to get hits. People love a good freakshow. Yahtzee is gaming's premiere ranting freakshow.

I think, like all such personalities, what actually gets people annoyed is mostly not Yahtzee himself, but his hardcore fans. Many of whom seem to take him as a word of god precisely because it's cool to hate, and there's a common notion that massive negativity must somehow be intrinsically more "truthful".

Don't forget that having "small amounts of truth" makes his claims automatically all true.

Hence why I called his fans, or "Yahtzombies", as hypocrites because they're essentially doing what they are accusing of others.

Can someone explaint o me, what's the deal with Kid Icarus? Why would it give back pain?

I generally suffer from backpain and may have a spinal problem, so I'll never touch it just by the thought of it -- but what's the deal with the game?

impact

Banned
I will say this...

Do these people even exist? He hates on pretty much everything he reviews, regardless of who made the game.

Can someone explaint o me, what's the deal with Kid Icarus? Why would it give back pain?

I generally suffer from backpain and may have a spinal problem, so I'll never touch it just by the thought of it -- but what's the deal with the game?
It causes hand pain for many. Apparently everyone is "doing it wrong" though.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

You have to use (should use/ can use) a stand to play it. Control scheme is uncomfortable for some people.

Tookay

I will say this...

That's the problem with internet trolling in general. It has built-in defenses that if you take it seriously and disagree with it, you can't take a joke and "u mad," and if you agree with it, you are suddenly validated by the internet's foremost critics.

I think Kid Icarus' controls are mediocre at best and handcramping at worst, but doesn't change the fact that I dislike Yahtzee's whole shtick. Trolling everything is extemely cowardly, because you never have to defend something that you like.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If he rips Xenoblade, yeah it would be the end of the internet.

The dude is a comedian, not a critic. His point is to make people laugh. Getting upset at that seems... insane.

I don't know that he is a terribly talented comedian, I will watch a bunch of his videos in a row, chuckle, and then not watch any for 3 months. But it's clear to me what his intent is.

I think the funniest part of the whole thing is that people consider it a troll. Like any attempt at humor is now something bigger - it's the desire to see people upset - or something.

I also think that it points to fanboys so delusional that they want the guy that makes fun of EVERYTHING to say good things about their product of choice because that will make them feel like better people. Or something.

This whole thread hurts my head.

the only way to win is to not play

The problem is that it's hard to tell the "factual inaccuracies" if you haven't played the game, unless of course you go by to reviews or word of mouth (how reliable are those?), which is kinda ironic. And sure, he has reasons to lie - he is a professional troll after all.
Well thats not really his problem, thats on the viewer.

And yet he doesnt just call Silent Hill 2, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, inFamous, Portal, etc. shit games. Unless you think hes lying about enjoying these games now.

MYE

Factually wrong. The biggest backlashes have always been from his reviews of Nintendo titles. The ZP thread gets bumped all week when that happens. Go count the pages.
That is true.

Then we should probably take a look at his nintendo reviews to see what he does diferently to "anger" the more guilable fans.
First thing i notice is that he not only does he's usual, funny game bashing thing, but always goes on rants about the nintendo system its on and/or the company in general. Every single time. Its traffic bait 101.

He doesnt do the same to Sony or MS games because they dont have long-lasting iconic IPs and havent been around long enough for that many people to give a shit about.

Or you can choose to believe ninendo fanboys are somehow diferent from other fanboys *shruggs*

mhayze

At this point in time, I find Yahtzee quite annoying. However:

• He is a critic in the classic sense of the word. I don't think there's a connection between paid criticism / professional criticism vs academic or amateur criticism and the validity of the criticism. There is only valid criticism and pointless, unsubstantiated "I hate this because I hate" crap which is easy to ignore. He makes some valid points when he criticizes games, even when it's a game I love or when his points don't apply to me. I can see how what he complains about would turn a person off, even if it does not apply to me.
  • ALL criticism is just entertainment - that's what I believe anyways. If something is flat out funny - why not? It no longer, amuses me, but...
  • As someone else pointed out, there's someone new on the Internet every second, and people discovering zero punctuation for the first time. They're probably bowled over by what they see, if they stumbled upon it themselves. Some, however, probably found it via a kid icarus love-fest/thread and were deeply insulted. Screw them, if they can't take a joke. There should be a rorschach test to keep those too serious off the internets.
    not really

Boss Doggie

Well thats not really his problem, thats on the viewer.

And yet he doesnt just call Silent Hill 2, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, inFamous, Portal, etc. shit games. Unless you think hes lying about enjoying these games now.

I didn't say he can't tell truths or not though. My argument is that he can craft words in a way that it's hard to tell whether they are lies or not - especially when it comes to trolling.

YourMaster

Yahtzee certainly isn't the "last honest gaming" critic, but he certainly is one of the very few (and certainly the most popular) critics in gaming. In the gaming worlds reviews are far more common.

I think a lot of the 'hate' for his style comes from what people have come to expect from reviewers - an almost academical and supposed to be objective overview of all aspects of the game, complete with compound scores. Or at least some detachment to the game being reviewed.

The point of a critic is not to be objective, but honestly share his opinions of the piece, his reaction and feelings towards it. With movie critics you find a critic who's on the same page as you are, who has the same pet peeves, so you know if this guy whose work you read dislikes it, you'll probably do too.
Yahtzee works well in this light as well, he is very open in what he likes, and what he detests, and if you generally feel the same way, (e.g. about multiplayer, chest high walls, waggle) you could very well get a sense of how well you'll enjoy the game he critiques. And if you're lucky have a laugh in the process.
If however you're a completely different kind of gamer, you're better of with another critic, or simply stick to reviews.

I think there should be some more choice in critics, so that everybody can find some they love, and some they hate.

Kinyou

I didn't say he can't tell truths or not though. My argument is that he can craft words in a way that it's hard to tell whether they are lies or not - especially when it comes to trolling.
Sorry but that just sounds weird. His comments are either valid or not. done.

"Greetings!", exclaims the indie scene. Also Valve says hi.
Seems to me that he's just mostly into oldschool games that focus on the gameplay.

Is there like an actual instance of him lying about a game or his experience? I mean the issue here is hes a crafty wordsmith and "could" sway someone? Just seems like a weird stance to take.

Boss Doggie

I'm speaking more to the kin like Monster Hunter. His complaints make it seem like it's annoying to control when, if anything, is very neutral.

In any case, my point is regardless of what he's reviewing, he's pretty predictable in structure and tirade that even as an entertainment icon the value is pretty much lost.

The only time I've ever heard him "lie" was when he made some pretty big assumptions about MH's design (trying to claim and imply that the zoning system was a limitation brought on by the Wii that Capcom didn't want to do) and completely warped the context of a certain scenario in the tutorial (the Lagiacrus encounter that you have to run from) into something completely different to make it sound like the game had bad AI or mission design or something. Then when people complained that he only hunted one real "monster" (in a tutorial), he used his column followup to post a playtime number that sounded rather exaggerated for the progress he made (but still technically possible, I'll concede), and then pulled out a number from a "reader email" claiming that the tutorial is "20 hours long" (it's not in the least) that was pretty obviously cherrypicked in order to make an argument about tutorials.

He pointed out the obvious stuff like the fighting-for-the-sake-of-getting-stronger design and multiplayer focus that he pretty obviously would never like, but the other stuff just felt like he was stretching to find a less subjective ground to criticize it on, and it rubbed me the wrong way.

Then we should probably take a look at his nintendo reviews to see what he does diferently to "anger" the more guilable fans.
First thing i notice is that he not only does he's usual, funny game bashing thing, but always goes on rants about the nintendo system its on and/or the company in general. Every single time. Its traffic bait 101.

He doesnt do the same to Sony or MS games because they dont have long-lasting iconic IPs and havent been around long enough for that many people to give a shit about.

Or you can choose to believe ninendo fanboys are somehow diferent from other fanboys *shruggs*
His criticism of Nintendo isn't what people complain about when he does his reviews for Nintendo games, using Neogafs official thread for him as a source.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
If he rips Xenoblade, yeah it would be the end of the internet.

He hates JRPGs so he's not gonna play it.

Yahtzee certainly isn't the "last honest gaming" critic, but he certainly is one of the very few (and certainly the most popular) critic in gaming. In the gaming worlds reviews are far more common.

I think a lot of the 'hate' for his style comes from what people have come to expect from reviewers - an almost academical and supposed to be objective overview of all aspects of the game, complete with compound scores. Or at least some detachment to the game being reviewed.

The point of a critic is not to be objective, but honestly share his opinions of the piece, his reaction and feelings towards it. With movie critics you find a critic who's on the same page as you are, who has the same pet peeves, so you know if this guy whose work you read dislikes it, you'll probably do too.
Yahtzee works well in this light as well, he is very open in what he likes, and what he detests, and if you generally feel the same way, (e.g. about multiplayer, chest high walls, waggle) you could very well get a sense of how well you'll enjoy the game he critiques. And if you're lucky have a laugh in the process.
If however you're a completely different kind of gamer, you're better of with another critic, or simply stick to reviews.

I think there should be some more choice in critics, so that everybody can find some they love, and some they hate.

That's me. He has a very similar taste in gaming as mine, so more often than not I can agree on what he says. Sure, it's exaggerated, but I believe him more than most of the "bug" reviewers.

impact

Banned
I'm speaking more to the kin like Monster Hunter. His complaints make it seem like it's annoying to control when, if anything, is very neutral.

Any version of the game without dual analogs is annoying to control though. So unless it was the Wii version, then he was right.

NEO0MJ

Seems to me that he's just mostly into oldschool games that focus on the gameplay.

Doesn't explain his eternal love for Killer 7 and Silent Hill 2, which were all about mood and story.

Any version of the game without dual analogs is annoying to control though. So unless it was the Wii version, then he was right.

Didn't play it but I know it supports CC.

Also, we see a lot of "Nintendo is doomed" "Nintendo going third party" "Nintendo should go iOS" or any other articles/statement like this. Did you see those equivalents with Sony or Microsoft ? I don't think so.

Ah yeah, i remember those days where Gamefaqs still had a "Next-gen" board and trolling was rampant. I think this is the cause for high amounts of N-fanboyism now.

I mean, I'm sure many Nintendo fans breathed a sigh of relief once the realized DS was a success, and again with the Wii being a success (and having to take the whole "graphics are crap = Nintendo 3rd party" thing between announcement and release). And celebrating Nintendo's success, which meant their own success, over the rival fanboys with Blue Ocean monologues and money printing gifs.

I think it's because Nintendo came back that those Sales age threads are more or less dead.

He talked shit about Demon's Souls and I still enjoy his videos. It's more his mode of expressing his opinion then it is the opinion itself that I value.

YourMaster

He talked shit about Demon's Souls and I still enjoy his videos. It's more his mode of expressing his opinion then it is the opinion itself that I value.

I just re-watched that episode and I have two remarks:
  1. His voice is completely different there, very nasal.
  2. He didn't actually talked shit about it. He said it was far too difficult to the point it was no longer fun. That was the only negative thing he said, actually it was pretty much the only thing he said about the game.

This is really similar to his Kid Icarus video. There there is also one aspect of the game that completely ruins it for him - controls.
I believe these are two of a very small selection of videos he did where there is a single aspect to ruin the game completely - usually he either points out some minor flaws in a mostly fine or uneventful game, or a multitude of issues that make the game bad as a whole.

Top Bottom