• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music artists that produce the best cover art

daviyoung

Banned
I've been listening to a lot of Infected Mushroom recently and I have to say these guys produce some of the best art for their album covers. Each one is gold (except the really early ones, they're proper shit).

R-9956087-1492631151-1259.jpeg.jpg

989ec327699529.5605142f8b4d6.jpg

R-941085-1425592179-4264.jpeg.jpg

R-7460766-1500995392-4970.jpeg.jpg

So which music makers choose the best cover art?

Converge, and Converge's singer, Jacob Bannon. His art was always inspiring to me when I was doing graphic design for bands years ago. He was a tastemaker for lots of underground music and subculture in the late 90s through early 2000s. The stuff he's producing now is great too. Love his work and have a lot of it on my walls at home.

kris.

Banned
Converge, and Converge's singer, Jacob Bannon. His art was always inspiring to me when I was doing graphic design for bands years ago. He was a tastemaker for lots of underground music and subculture in the late 90s through early 2000s. The stuff he's producing now is great too. Love his work and have a lot of it on my walls at home.

First post fucking NAILS it. Bannon's work with Converge is wonderful. Really dig the artwork for their upcoming album, too.

MI0004282709.jpg

He's also done tons of artwork for dozens of bands. Dude's got a section on his Wikipedia page dedicated to all of the bands he's done artwork for lol.

I'd also throw in John Baizley's work with his own band Baroness along with art for bands like Kvelertak, Torche, Darkest Hour, and Black Tusk.

Circa Survive has had an amazing artist since the beginning and he's never stopped putting out maxing artwork for the band (or the galleries).
a0914620970_16.jpg

Esao Andrews

Cromat

Pink Floyd is the correct answer but great shoutout to Infected Mushroom OP, I've always loved both how they name and design their albums.

PillarEN

I quite like the Unholy Trinity album covers from Darkthrone. Low budget and creepy just like the records themselves.
Code:
[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61yHQ42UvbL._SL1117_.jpg[/IMG]
I love this one. Once again everything is obscured in the darkness, but holy shit he's turning the corner to kill me again. Aaaaargh. This probably wouldn't be half as effective without the long hair which gives the picture so much motion and momentum.

Code:
[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71h3kvTUNrL._SL1200_.jpg[/IMG]
Oh my I was just taking a stroll through the forest... and I'm dead.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.officialabyssrecords.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/d/cdviled43.jpg[/IMG]
A classic. Paying homage to a Mayhem album cover (Live in Leipzig). Now you've entered the court of some demon lord. And it's time to die again.

mclem

My proper answer is, of course, Thorgerson's Pink Floyd work, but independently of that I recall being struck by this one for sheer utter ballsiness:

NARrqk3.jpg

Top Bottom