• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and Worst Anime Revivals

Fj0823

The era of cashing in on 90's nostalgia is upon us, and with it many classic animes are pumping sequels or reboots to get a piece of the money cake.

So to you, which are the best and worst revivals of classic franchises?

For me:

Best:

Dragon Ball

2017819132358_1.jpg

The franchise could very well live off their popularity without having to add a thing, yet after the disastrous Evolution, Toriyama decided to bring it back to clean it's name

2 pretty good movies later we have a 100+ series and a fuck ton of money that it's even giving One Piece a run for its money and has added a bunch of iconic new characters that blend together with the original cast and bring a lot of fun new dynamics

Evangelion:

Say what you want about 3.0 but the Rebuild of Evangelion is also a massive success compared to many attempts to revive similar franchises

Each movie was a succes and people still debate trying to make sense of Anno's fuckery and middle fingers throughout each movie

2.0 might be one of the series highest points IMHO, and
I love that the movie builds up Shinji character as a more traditional hero only to kick it in the nuts hard in 3.0

Worst

Digimon

Hey the Digimon cast is All Grown Up! And they have teenage problems like dating and boyfriends and meeting new friends and having fights over high school stuff!!
P...also there's a couple of Digimons fighting here and there, but don't worry, it won't distract you from the teenage drama you love so much.

Also this piece of shit won't have a formal mention from me

Chindogg

Wow, have anything to back up that opinion mate?

The CGI style is fucking atrocious and is only marginally improved in the Bluray release.

Sailor Moon Crystal went from worst to best by season 3. Fixed so many animation issues and upped the budget on several scenes.

JoJo has been completely amazing, though I suppose to be fair only an increasingly small fraction of it was actually a remake.

Berserk has been terrible, with the same caveat.

MartyStu

Hunter x Hunter is still the best I think.

It does such a good job giving a modern feel to the whole thing that I want Yu Yu Hakusho to get the same treatment.

Worst is Berserk by a country mile. It's literally unwatchable thanks to the art but the way they slashed the story sucks in its own right.

It's not from the '90s, but Space Battleship Yamato 2199 might be the best revival I've seen. It retains (and polishes) what worked way back in 1974, while reworking and adding its own spin on other areas, like greatly expanding on the Garmillans.

Tokubetsu

It's not from the '90s, but Space Battleship Yamato 2199 might be the best revival I've seen. It retains (and polishes) what worked way back in 1974, while reworking and adding its own spin on other areas, like greatly expanding on the Garmillans.

came in here to post this, great series

Does Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood count as a Revival? Because that's a good one

That Young Black Jack anime was pretty bad... I don't know if you'd call it a revival though

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Despite having never seen any other iteration of the property beforehand...

It only took me two minutes into the new Berserk to know for certain that it looked like dogshit.

Village

I never actually watched the new digimon because folks kept telling me its bad

Give me a break down of how bad it is.

( though while I didn't want it to fail, i gotta little chuckle because i like 02 and it pretends 02 doesn't exist as far as I know )

Rue

Best:

Hunter X Hunter: Fantastic update that also has a really good 'soft' conclusion. Animation quality is pretty insane for a series that's 100+ episodes!

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Despite a sorta rushed beginning, this ends up being one of the all time greats and surpasses the original anime by far.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: I don't think this needs any elaboration.

Dragon Ball Super: I actually prefer the show's version of "Battle of Gods" since it has way better moments than the movie version. But the lowest point of it is definitely the RoF arc, it could have honestly completely killed the show if it didn't improve so quickly afterwards.

Worst:

Eureka Seven AO: Never have I been so fucking disappointed in a follow-up series. Holy shit is this a complete fucking mess of a story. The only positive I can give it is that the music and animation are really good.

Soran

( though while I didn't want it to fail, i gotta little chuckle because i like 02 and it pretends 02 doesn't exist as far as I know )
OP described the issues with Tri clearly. We are in the fourth OVA and the story has barely advanced due the focus on drama instead of Digimons.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

I think it may be because I hadn't touched the series for a decade prior to its release, but I enjoy the new series for what it is. I mean, my only complaint so far is that Joe kinda regressed in terms of how his character developed in 02. The show is totally harmless at worst and kind of a neat nostalgia trip.

Also, 02 is still acknowledged right off the bat, albeit in an ambiguous way.

cj_iwakura

Crystal is still bad. It just improved from being awful, but S3 still stripped all the character out of Sailor Moon S.

Anung

Un Rama
Berserk is the worst by a country mile. The animation is just the most obvious part of the awful cocktail that is the new Berserk anime.

Super was off to a rough start but damn if it hasn't won me over.

Fj0823

Best:

Hunter X Hunter: Fantastic update that also has a really good 'soft' conclusion. Animation quality is pretty insane for a series that's 100+ episodes!

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Despite a sorta rushed beginning, this ends up being one of the all time greats and surpasses the original anime by far.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: I don't think this needs any elaboration.

Dragon Ball Super: I actually prefer the show's version of "Battle of Gods" since it has way better moments than the movie version. But the lowest point of it is definitely the RoF arc, it could have honestly completely killed the show if it didn't improve so quickly afterwards.

Worst:

Eureka Seven AO: Never have I been so fucking disappointed in a follow-up series. Holy shit is this a complete fucking mess of a story. The only positive I can give it is that the music and animation are really good.

Thanks for saving me the trouble, also it makes the original series perfect ending worse in every single way, hey turns out
Corallians were bad after all
! Pay no mind to the entire fucking previous show being all about the two species coexisting in peace

Oh and Renton and Eureka's
newborn babies turn into stone because fuck happy endings, edgy tragedy is so much better right?

And the show has a literal RETCON CANNON that resolves everything

Fuck that show, fuck everyone involved.

nickgia

Digimon TRI is such a disappointment. I could take the teen angst if the plot moved faster than a snail's pace.

I really enjoyed Osomatsu-san.

Fj0823

Being a fan of the original, what makes Omega so bad? Was thinking of checking it out.

The first saga is High Schooly at first, with the characters attending a less physically abusing version of the Saint Training to learn to use their inherited armor (which is initially trapped inside a small Crystal)

The main cast is fleshed out pretty greatLy in this first saga, and they have a lot of potential during the second saga, you really get into some of these kids (except Ninja dude,fuck him)

Then the second season comes and everyone except NuPegasus turns into a cardboard cutout, all their development is ignored to have time to wank to Seiya and the original cast being ridiculously OP.

It's fun, but it really has an identity crisis

Oh, and seeing Seiya a full fledged Gold Saint is always fun.

It spins its wheels WAY too much and the fan-service isn't the good kind, imo. I don't really dislike her, but Meiko feels unnecessary when Adventure already had such a large cast.

I hate 02 but even I think it's ridiculous how much they push those characters aside. If they didn't want it to exist, just retcon it. As of now, it's acknowledged, but strangely vague about what's up.

Top Bottom