• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regarding Sessler's "bad news" about the industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Perfect.

End the bullshit, make the press buy the games and review them on day one, no NDA, no publisher influence.

It's exactly what the industry needs.

Alx

There's nothing preventing journalists from reviewing commercial versions after launch, I suppose. I never really trusted "exclusive reviews" anyway.

kadotsu

Banned
This sounds like BS. It would be so expensive and bureaucracy intensive that actually "buying" all reviews would be a cheaper solution.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"Big devs?" This guy is full of shit.

Dylan

You'd think someone who does writing for a living would be able to write a paragraph without butchering the rules of grammar.

UNCMark

Banned
That doesn't give their viewers/readers enough time to make a decision on whether they should buy a game on day one. If it takes them a week to play a game and write a review, those reviews wouldn't be out until a week after release. How is that practical?

Gamers would adjust. Like waiting for the late reviews, and then waiting for the first price drop. I don't believe this story is true, but if it were, I'd pay the devs back by never paying full price for their games. Ever.

Showaddy

If true I hope all reviewers show some solidarity with one another and just refuse to take part in this. Wait for the Game on release day and then give it a fair review, none of this bullshit please.

on the other hand, this sounds like a really really really believable thing to me.

Absolutely. It's a step down from review embargoes. Instead of limiting the damage a shitty review can do to sales by not letting it be posted until launch day, now they could in theory eliminate bad reviews for their shitty games entirely.

I know plenty of reviewers already buy games out of pocket to review for the site when they don't get review copies. I'm more than happy to wait a week or two for a review if it meant that reviewers didn't have to stick to this bullshit.

Lucid07

Just buy the game and review it after the fact.

Yeah if it was that bad they could buy the game themselves and review it after it was out not being bound to any terms, but they're all so worried about having their review out before everyone else to get them clicks. (That's if this was true.)

Wow that sounds terrible....

If the reviewer just waits until the game is out, would they still have to follow these provisions?

How could they?

Basically, this will relegate the big 'first review' sites to irrelevancy and the bloggers will be the sources to go to. I don't like what this will do to Metacritic inflation, though.

DoomGyver

Why are we allowing this reddit and 4chan shit to sour gaf? Most things on the internet from an anonymous source are fake. Come on people, think.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A guy who covers games would not mistake developers and publishers.

Eusis

I think that Youtube thing's more likely, they HAVE approached Notch about monetizing Minecraft footage and honestly Nintendo doesn't seem like the kind of company that'd aggressively want to monetize Youtube videos, so it's probably more someone at Youtube thought it was a good idea for whatever reason (they could've had issues with other companies that felt they deserved it and there IS a logic to it: it's footage of their games afterall) and decided to start aggressively approaching companies about this. Not realizing how much it fucks up something we took for granted with magazines and even TV shows in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom