• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling launched a new show, Commentocracy

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I don't like Jim because i see him like he is above everyone else.

But my best friend love him.

It's part of his character. It's his whole shtick. We're talking about a guy who ends every Jimquisition video with "Thank God for me."

He actually seems really down to earth, laid back and humble whenever he's not in character or getting angry at scummy industry practices.

Goldmund

The performance is great. Maybe he could eventually map the comments to little story vignettes where they also kind of make sense considering where Amiel is (physically, emotionally and mentally) in the arch? Or group the comments thematically and use that theme in the episode? A little blocking, maybe a few distinct primitive/digital sets (like the bath) or even better: another (silent) actor/puppet to play off of? Not sure that kind of effort would be warranted/feasible but I can see this getting stale quickly otherwise--which is a shame because there's big potential here!

Harlequin

Amazing. 😂

Regency England makes the best comedy.

Pretty sure this would be earlier than Regency. The make-up and wig look more like sth you'd find in the 18th century (so maybe very early Regency at the latest?). Then again, he's also wearing a modern tie and those weren't around till the second half of the 19th century so trying to date the look is probably a relatively useless effort :p.

thumb

Banned
Pretty sure this would be earlier than Regency. The make-up and wig look more like sth you'd find in the 18th century (so maybe very early Regency at the latest?). Then again, he's also wearing a modern tie and those weren't around till the second half of the 19th century so trying to date the look is probably a relatively useless effort :p.

Duke Hardcore is way ahead of his time, as usual. He's the Dark Souls of aristocrats.

Zolo

It's part of his character. It's his whole shtick. We're talking about a guy who ends every Jimquisition video with "Thank God for me."

He actually seems really down to earth, laid back and humble whenever he's not in character or getting angry at scummy industry practices.

Yeah. Most people simply play a character. Take Boogie for example. He plays a character that acts like a mentally challenged manchild when he's actually only a manchild.

Earth

Banned
It'd be fun if for one episode he read his own opinions pre-2013.
Yeah. Most people simply play a character. Take Boogie for example. He plays a character that acts like a mentally challenged manchild when he's actually only a sociopathic prick.

Ftfy.

ViciousDS

Banned
The amount of time I saw the word noob my head hurt. Dear heavens.....I can't believe these idiots lol. This definitely made the comments entertaining

legend166

He should mine every Wii thread on here from 2006-2008 as well as 80% of the gaming media at the time. That was truly embarrassing.

Handy Fake

Amazing. ��

Regency England makes the best comedy.
giphy.gif

Seik

Banned
WTF I never saw this character before, I don't always watch Jim but I saw a lot of his videos.

This was very funny, nice job Jim! :)

This video was great. love this Jim's chatacter and cant wait for the next one, also he is preparing an animated show for the channel and I cant really wait for that one either.
Looked for the real responses on the steam forums (because it really seemed like a real long conversation with other people). Is a guy doing the cavalcade of stupid responding to other people posting. The OP of that thread is also a little bit of an idiot, but the guy answering (the one from Jim's video) surpass him at every chance.

Oxirane

He should mine every Wii thread on here from 2006-2008 as well as 80% of the gaming media at the time. That was truly embarrassing.

Yeah, don't bother with the Steam message boards or other forums, he could just read stuff from the gaming press.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yeah. Most people simply play a character. Take Boogie for example. He plays a character that acts like a mentally challenged manchild when he's actually only a manchild.

Whenever he's not doing Francis, Boogie isn't doing a bit. He's not playing up his persona or anything. He's being himself.

When Jim does Jimquisition, he's not just "Jim Sterling". He's a Boglins/Pogs-obsessed megalomaniac who signs off every video with "Thank God for Me", complete with a black and white propaganda aesthetic, a logo, hat, suit, wand and altar. There's a huge amount of work put into it. I'm saying "work" because that's not him. That's a character he created and evolved over the years. And whatever is a reflection of him or his ideas in the videos are played up for the sake of the character and entertainment.

If that's not your style of comedy, or you don't care about the topics he tackles, that's absolutely fine. If you don't like him or Boogie, that's fine too - heck, Boogie lost me when he tried to be "balanced" about topics where he should have taken a stance. But if you seriously can't tell the difference between what Jim's doing and what Boogie's doing, I don't know what to tell you.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Boogie is a spineless twat who spends so much time on the fence that it has become part of his colon.

Do not make this about Boogie. There's no reason to. It's completely off-topic.
My only point was that one is being himself - whatever that entails -, and the other is using a character/persona.

Also, are you guys sure Amiel du Hardcore is supposed to be a British nobleman? To me, he's based on French nobility. Look at his name. I've never heard the name "Amiel" even though I'm French, so I don't know if it exists, but it definitely sounds French, and du is a French particle. Not to mention the face makeup. All looks like a caricature of a French aristocrat to me.

Zolo

If that's not your style of comedy, or you don't care about the topics he tackles, that's absolutely fine. If you don't like him or Boogie, that's fine too - heck, Boogie lost me when he tried to be "balanced" about topics where he should have taken a stance. But if you seriously can't tell the difference between what Jim's doing and what Boogie's doing, I don't know what to tell you.

Just making fun of Boogie by commenting about the character he uses; not Jim.

Shifty

Nice Profile Picture lol

I have that pic saved as my profile pic on most of my social media but I made him in space lol

Nonplussed Fizzgig is best Fizzgig. I put a christmas hat on him one year for my steam account and got too lazy to ever remove it.

Sanctuary

This was literally the greatest thing he's done for entertainment factor. He's always been a character, but he just knocked it out of the state with that one.

Has he said how frequently these videos will be coming out?

In the youtube video he says it plans to be a weekly/seasonal show and that he's planning other weekly/seasonal shows like the animated one thanks to patreon. My guess is eventually he'll have 3-4 of these kinds of seasonal shows and rotate between them.

Top Bottom