• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

San Holo is going to be here next month..... One thing about paperwork for being a PCA, especially with other Hmong people, is the delay :( Still waiting for some backpay 😭

Hurry up Minnesota and my agency so that I can get my money to my bank account and start going to these local shows!

Speaking of San Holo:

Gouldian Finch #02 by bitbird <- SC link.

Good background music.

Aomber

https://wundergroundmusic.com/tech-house-dj-overdoses-teeth-whitener/

OKF2mtm.png

Aomber

So this isn't strictly EDM but it's electronic with some dance influences. That said I'll avoid a full review, but I'm posting because this is hands down my new album of the year, dethroning Lorde's Melodrama. It's really close, but I just felt like this was a slightly more coherent project, and my god it's good, I love the dramatic changes between full out aggression and soft ballads, some incredibly well written music here.

Give it a listen, for that matter give all of her music a listen, she's wonderful.

St Vincent - MASSEDUCTION. Listen here > https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8WyDKvjmWQSfYYBsVK7IlX1Lw6kTNjxx

kXKuOSS.jpg

I also gotta give credit where it's due - Jack Antonoff produced both this and Lorde's Melodrama. The fact that one guy produced TWO hugely critically acclaimed albums this year is really impressive (not 100% alone mind you, but he was the leading producer on both projects). This man has a long career ahead of him, I can't wait to see what else he does.

Why would he choose that name? The fuck, lol. Jack Antonoff....

That cover sure is wonderful though. I'll keep it mind when I need some background noise though.

Aomber

Why would he choose that name? The fuck, lol. Jack Antonoff....

That cover sure is wonderful though. I'll keep it mind when I need some background noise though.

Hahaha that's actually his real family name, I thought it was a strange name at first too but hey

Fun fact: He was in the band fun. and also has his own solo project going on called Bleachers rn where he also makes really cool music

Hahaha that's actually his real family name, I thought it was a strange name at first too but hey

Fun fact: He was in the band fun. and also has his own solo project going on called Bleachers rn where he also makes really cool music

I dig it. He's probably heard all the jokes already, lol.

Edit: daily dose of new Vicetone: Dua Lipa - New Rules (Vicetone Remix). It's not bad but it's also not something special from the duo.

Ah shit.... I forgot all about Heady: Takin It Back. Willem has an album coming out soon. Should be good.

Aomber

My friend released a song today and wants some feedback.

It's very disco-y:

https://codakolor.bandcamp.com/track/sexy-potato-head

It's okay, it's a Nu Disco song, not the biggest fan of that genre in general but it sounds like a decently produced Nu Disco track.

My issue is with the sampling. From a creative standpoint it's too busy, none of those vocal samples were necessary and the track would have been better off & less gimmicky without it. That said, Creative Commons licensing =/= usage rights for sampling. You can apply CC licensing to your own work for others to use, not self-claiming CC on others work where all rights are reserved. It's easy to take that for granted at an amateur level but it's not a good practice to build a foundation on as a producer. (Side note: To be clear, I understand sampling is an art, but in a real world situation those would be really expensive to get the permissions for)

Anyway solid job other than that

Aomber

Mixmag: A Berlin Nightclub Has Banned Turntables and CDJs

A Berlin club has gone against the norm and banned turntables and CDJs in its establishment.

Kreuzberg club Liquid Sky Berlin has declared itself as a venue that doesn’t “represent ordinary DJ culture”.

The club wrote in a post: “This is NOT because we disrespect DJs. It's because we are not just another Berlin nightclub. We support other formats / unique styles / different thinking / alternative tastes and emerging uses of both newer and older technology.”

Instead, the club, which will host UK duo Coldcut on Friday night, invites anyone that plays on Nintendo Game Boys, short wave radios, tape players and even “hacked home fitness trainers”.

Scantraxx: 15 Years of Hardstyle Documentary

Forgot to post this earlier.

Edit: just finished it not too long ago. It was pretty cool to see how Scantraxx was formed and how it became one of the leading labels for Hardstyle. I wished they had dedicated more time into the actual history of Hardstyle, the fanbase, and why it's so popular now compared to then, and also how Scantraxx as a label actually functions.

I think it's not an essential watch if you wanted to know more about Hardstyle, but when you are into Hardstyle and was wondering about a little bit of history with a leading label for Hardstyle? I would recommend it.

Tickets purchased for Steven Angello at Printworks London.

Looks a really intimate venue so I'm hoping for a Mescal Kid set or him just going for it.

Used to be his biggest Steve Angello Stan but even I'm bored of the same old festival set with a few new albums tracks thrown in.

Aomber

MGMT have a new track, it's been a while from them, and I'm definitely feeling this one. Some of their mixing generally speaking can be a bit wonky for my likings but the song is really nice regardless. To be honest I haven't really listened to a lot of MGMT since their original album so I don't know about their evolution, but this is obviously very different from back then. Anyway, give it a listen.

MGMT - Little Dark Age

Also a couple dancey tracks I've been playing the last day or two, older and newer. The Selena song is really nice, it feels like something from the 2000s circa "Guru Josh Project - Infinity" but more laid back & modernized, love the whistling & the synth bassline in particular. Not the biggest fan of the EDMish buildups though, also the lyrics are ooookay, they work but nothing too amazing, the title of the song's hook is pretty memorable though.

As for Ottomatic it's the intro track to the album and easily one of the most memorable moments of the whole thing, sounds like the intro of a Daft Punk album but it's still distinctly Oliver. Absolutely badass track

Selena Gomez - Kill Em With Kindness

Oliver - Ottomatic

Oh yeah so I've been meaning to show you this track to see what you think. This definitely isn't my thing, but Maarten Vorwerk released this track for free and it's a really weird twist on Hardstyle, thought you'd just be interested

Vorwerk - Un Iguana Per La Porta

I fucks with that Vorwerk track. That's probably one of this year's more unique and original Hardstyle tracks imo. It's a bit slow, but it works. I would like Maarten to experiment more and to actually try his hand at making a faster Hardstyle track. The scene is long overdue for a change in it's formula and the usual 4x4 beat imo. Thinking about this and now I really want to see Joel actually try his hand at remaking the formula and making a Hardstyle track.

Aomber

I fucks with that Vorwerk track. That's probably one of this year's more unique and original Hardstyle tracks imo. It's a bit slow, but it works. I would like Maarten to experiment more and to actually try his hand at making a faster Hardstyle track. The scene is long overdue for a change in it's formula and the usual 4x4 beat imo. Thinking about this and now I really want to see Joel actually try his hand at remaking the formula and making a Hardstyle track.

Not sure if I shared this before but this is his track as well, more traditional hardstyle

Jeckyll & Hyde - Back In Time

And agreed, I can dig some hardstyle but I don't really follow it much because a lot of it is too similar, I'm big on variety in general though & I understand it's a style of music.

Yo if this K-Pop group keeps putting Hard Dance beats into their songs, I'll keep sharing their songs, lol.

A.C.E(&#50640;&#51060;&#49828;) - Callin' MV

Fuck this is actually pretty hype, I love how it just drops in out of nowhere, at the beginning I was expecting it to be done in a cheesy way but they made it work really well

Not sure if I shared this before but this is his track as well, more traditional hardstyle

Jeckyll & Hyde - Back In Time

And agreed, I can dig some hardstyle but I don't really follow it much because a lot of it is too similar, I'm big on variety in general though & I understand it's a style of music.

Fuck this is actually pretty hype, I love how it just drops in out of nowhere, at the beginning I was expecting it to be done in a cheesy way but they made it work really well

See.... It's energetic, but it's too formulaic for somebody like Maarten imo. Un Iguana Per La Porta is something I would expect from him. It does sound like he has the formula down stat, and that's a good thing!

There was a comment on Reddit where they said that this is the closest he/she will get to making Hardstyle when they weren't able to make a career out of producing Hardstyle, lol. It fucking works though. It's a banger and it surprises you. K-Pop style, hah!

Aomber

See.... It's energetic, but it's too formulaic for somebody like Maarten imo. Un Iguana Per La Porta is something I would expect from him. It does sound like he has the formula down stat, and that's a good thing!

There was a comment on Reddit where they said that this is the closest he/she will get to making Hardstyle when they weren't able to make a career out of producing Hardstyle, lol. It fucking works though. It's a banger and it surprises you. K-Pop style, hah!

To be fair Maarten is the king of generic formulaic music with all the shit he's written for dimitri vegas and like mike hahaha

Fuck guys. I just went to the Odesza concert. It was amazing. Top five shows I've ever seen. Damn.
Awesome, I still need to see them, they're coming to town in December &#8211; if I'm still living here I might have to go to that

Ashhong

To be fair Maarten is the king of generic formulaic music with all the shit he's written for dimitri vegas and like mike hahaha

Awesome, I still need to see them, they're coming to town in December – if I'm still living here I might have to go to that

You won't regret it. I'm still on a high from it. Get GA if you can. Wish I had it :(

Aomber

Face value in LA was 130 for floor lol. Consider yourself lucky!
Haha yeah not surprised about LA, thing is I'm actually only part time employed right now, I haven't been able to find full time work since graduating last year so needless to say I'm a bit tight on money unfortunately.

Somebody down to making a EDM-GAF Discord? Y'all are some of the chilliest and cool folks within the EDM Community without going batshit insane bar some exceptions, lol.

Aomber

Somebody down to making a EDM-GAF Discord? Y'all are some of the chilliest and cool folks within the EDM Community without going batshit insane bar some exceptions, lol.

I'd be down, and lol I agree this is definitely my favorite thread on GAF, I kinda get thrown off by some of the discussion when I go outside this thread because people's attitudes can be pretty different.

One user actually suggested that to me in PMs one time but I haven't seen him around here in a while, not sure if he's lurking (@subwilde)

Ashhong

I'd be down, and lol I agree this is definitely my favorite thread on GAF, I kinda get thrown off by some of the discussion when I go outside this thread because people's attitudes can be pretty different.

One user actually suggested that to me in PMs one time but I haven't seen him around here in a while, not sure if he's lurking (@subwilde)

Be sure to link it up

see5harp

I want a music discussion discord that is general. Something unrelated but has anyone taken chantix? I know it’s an SSRI which is normally not something you want to take with Molly but I’ve mainly seen people say don’t take stuff like antidepressants like Prozac. I guess it’s the same biological pathway so I may just need to hold onto these until I’m done with my chantix.

Aomber

Hey guys! So, just wanted to let anyone know who's not aware yet that we're in the process of switching to the Era. However it's not open to everyone yet, so we also have a Discord if you'd like to join in in the meantime. Also PMing everyone I can in case people don't see this.

Quote me and I'll send you a Discord invite.

Hey guys! So, just wanted to let anyone know who's not aware yet that we're in the process of switching to the Era. However it's not open to everyone yet, so we also have a Discord if you'd like to join in in the meantime. Also PMing everyone I can in case people don't see this.

I am going to need my music gaf EDM recommendations please send Discord link thanks.

I used to post often about EDM on off topic but never knew about this community. Anyway can I get an invite?

Top Bottom