• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

ZoddGutts

I don't think ArcSys are going to miss out on representing Super - I doubt Bandai Namco would even give them the option. Golden Frieza is in this and was in Extreme Butoden, and though he's technically part of the canon DBZ movies I imagine ArcSys will want to go further than the roster they had in their previous DBZ game. Goku Black would have been the talk of the town when they were putting the roster for this game together.

Super Buu did a lot, sure, but he'd be the third Buu in the game (surely Kid Buu would get in). That and his movelist would require his absorptions, and I'm not sure how they'd handle that. His exclusion would leave Gotenks in a weird place though.

You can have 18 without 17. ArcSys have done it before.

And Nappa - as I said it seems like Super Saiyan Goku and Vegeta are the default. If that's the case I don't expect Nappa or Raditz, but the game to skip representing the Saiyan saga entirely.

Yeah, I think they'll only have characters from those DBZ movies Beerus, Whiz (Boss characters?) and as shown Golden Frieza. Think they'll save the Super characters for the eventual sequel. Personally not a fan of Super since it's mediocre and fanfiction material.

>Has Golden Frieza
>Wishes for no Super (current series) characters

Where's the 8 ball GIF when you need it.

They were in the DBZ movies first, game is named DBZ not Super. Heck who knows they might still show up but since Super hasn't aired in the U.S. yet, doubt it.

HardRojo

The reason I believe Kale and Caulifla could make it is because by the time this game comes out they'll have been completely exposed to the audience, Toei could give ASW some ideas about how they'll fight, what attacks they'll have and they could go from there.

Man, Toei were really jerks when it came to Super in the US.

Funimation got Attack on Titan Season 2 airing on US TV in English within a month of it starting, but DBZ, perhaps the biggest anime in the US took so long.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Actually, come to think of it, what if this game was to make fusions accessible ONLY by having the 2 whom would fuse on the main team?

So you'd only be able to access Vegito if you had 2 of your 3 man team as Goku and Vegeta.

Once they fuse, it could be a permanent shift to a 2 man team, thereby cutting you out of an assist, additional health bar, and longer DHCs. But gaining a boost to a single character, with maybe higher damage output, and something like armored moves or something.

It'd be a great way not to use a single character slot solely on a transformation, and to make it more of a strategic aspect of playing the game proper.

For non-fusions, maybe storyline-related characters would have unique team hyper combos. 17 and 18 could get tag-team Sadistic Dance, Gohan and Piccolo could get ACTUAL Father & Sun Masenko, Vegeta and Bulma could have a "How dare you Hurt MY BULMA!" moment, etc...

Boke1879

Man, Toei were really jerks when it came to Super in the US.

Funimation got Attack on Titan Season 2 airing on US TV in English within a month of it starting, but DBZ, perhaps the biggest anime in the US took so long.

Yup. Now people watching this on TV are like a year and half behind.

Okay let's make the possibility of a 3 Gohans vs 3 Gohans match happen

Kid Gohan
Cell Games Gohan
Gohan (Mystic)
Great Saiyaman
Future Gohan
Great Ape Gohan?

NotLiquid

No SRK inputs? That's really surprising. Inputs seem really simple for this game.

Characters I want that I fully expect to show up:
  • Videl (please be long hair)
  • Goten
Characters I want that are pretty much wishful thinking:
  • Launch
  • Caulifla
  • Arale

Xiaoki

So, just fireball and down down motions?

MvCI got trolled hard by people because it was "dumbed down for accessibility" because casuals.

But, DBZ is OMG SO AWESOME.

DBZ is still very early so hopefully they show off more advanced systems. Watching the footage from Maximilian the characters and fights looked samey. Yeah, there was tons of insanity going on but the gameplay for every character looked too similar.

Basketball

Actually, come to think of it, what if this game was to make fusions accessible ONLY by having the 2 whom would fuse on the main team?

So you'd only be able to access Vegito if you had 2 of your 3 man team as Goku and Vegeta.

Once they fuse, it could be a permanent shift to a 2 man team, thereby cutting you out of an assist, additional health bar, and longer DHCs. But gaining a boost to a single character, with maybe higher damage output, and something like armored moves or something.

It'd be a great way not to use a single character slot solely on a transformation, and to make it more of a strategic aspect of playing the game proper.

For non-fusions, maybe storyline-related characters would have unique team hyper combos. 17 and 18 could get tag-team Sadistic Dance, Gohan and Piccolo could get ACTUAL Father & Sun Masenko, Vegeta and Bulma could have a "How dare you Hurt MY BULMA!" moment, etc...

thats good

kirblar

So, just fireball and down down motions?

MvCI got trolled hard by people because it was "dumbed down for accessibility" because casuals.

But, DBZ is OMG SO AWESOME.

DBZ is still very early so hopefully they show off more advanced systems. Watching the footage from Maximilian the characters and fights looked samey. Yeah, there was tons of insanity going on but the gameplay for every character looked too similar.
DBZ has a billion extra 2-button commands like P4A. Both DBZ and MvCI have made a ton of concessions to lower-level players.

Neoxon

I actually suggested that to my local fighting game scene. It's a pretty awesome idea.

NotLiquid

That's actually a really fucking good idea for fusion characters.

Holy crap, 3v3 makes all the more sense now.

No SRK inputs? That's really surprising. Inputs seem really simple for this game.

Characters I want that I fully expect to show up:
  • Videl (please be long hair)
  • Goten
Characters I want that are pretty much wishful thinking:
  • Launch
  • Caulifla
  • Arale

Videl might be a long shot but you expect Goten to show up? oh my sweet summer child

Alienous

Yeah, I think they'll only have characters from those DBZ movies Beerus, Whiz (Boss characters?) and as shown Golden Frieza. Think they'll save the Super characters for the eventual sequel. Personally not a fan of Super since it's mediocre and fanfiction material.

I'm sensing a conflict of interest in your judgement.

I'd be fine with Dragon Ball FighterZ if there were no Super characters, but that seems unlikely to me. Super characters were the selling point of Xenoverse 2, its pre-orders and it's DLC, Dragon Ball Super is the modern face of Dragon Ball. It would make no sense for ArcSys to only go with Dragon Ball Z characters - it would make even less sense for Bandai Namco to allow that to happen. Goku Black would have been extremely popular when the roster for this was being put together, and ArcSys would have been unable to ignore that. I can't think of any justification for why they wouldn't have a character like Goku Black in, but would have Golden Frieza.

I'm expecting a fairly small roster (for a 3v3), just because it's an ASW game. I think a realistic roster would be:
Goku
Vegeta
Teen Gohan
Frieza
Cell
Majin Buu
Great Saiyaman
Hercule
Tien
Piccolo
Krillin
Yamcha
Future Trunks
Gotenks
Videl
Kid Buu
Captain Ginyu or Recoome
Raditz or Nappa
Broly
Cooler
Beerus
Bardock
SSB Goku (Maybe as a GGX2 style Gold character)
SSB Vegeta (Maybe as a GGX2 style Gold character)

That covers all the major DBZ characters minus Zarbon. I could also see Omega Shenron getting in because they like to put him in everything.

ZoddGutts

Super has some interesting ideas and characters the execution of everything else is bad. I wouldn't mind if they showed up but eh, won't be sad if they didn't showed up for this game.

Fj0823

I don't think the Super-only character are making the cut for launch roster.
Since they won't to appeal to a worldwide audience, they'll initially stick to the most recognizable series (GT excluded)

Also that's for the better. Super is garbage :)

That would explain the why Xenoverse is using Super for it's DLC. Selling characters no one knows is a great strategy

Anime streams are popular, Crunchyroll crashes every week when Super releases due to the giant amount of traffic, Random pirated youtube livestreams get over 30,000 views the characters are well known inside the hardcore DBZ fandom and outside

Chase17

Nice op. So there should be more news on the game in a magazine (v jump?) later this month right?

Plz gaming gods let my boy be playable
tumblr_mzoo58SwZi1s0soqwo1_500.gif

Believe!

They were in the DBZ movies first, game is named DBZ not Super. Heck who knows they might still show up but since Super hasn't aired in the U.S. yet, doubt it.
Super is on Toonami every Saturday night actually. Thankfully a lot of people seem to disagree with you since super is pulling in great ratings. They'd be leaving money on the table since super been mostly well received other than a vocal minority of haters.

Anyway this shits off topic so I'll just agree to disagree. I do think some Super will make it.

1. Goku (Already Shown)
2. Gohan (Already Shown)
3. Vegeta (Already Shown)
4. Perfect Cell (Already Shown)
5. Frieza (Already Shown)
6. Majin Buu (Already Shown)
7. Krillin
8. Tien
9. Yamcha
10. Piccolo
11. Future Trunks
12. Recoome
13. Ginyu
14. Android 16
15. Android 17
16. Android 18
17. Videl
18. Hercule
19. Kid Buu
20. Supreme Kai
21. Beerus
22. Goku Black
23. Hit
24. Broly
25. Bardock
26. Gotenks

DLC
1. Caulifa
2. Launch
3. Zarbon
4. Janemba
5. Cooler
6. Super Saiyan 4 Goku
7. Vegito/Gogeta

Playsage

That would explain the why Xenoverse is using Super for it's DLC. Selling characters no one knows is a great strategy

Anime streams are popular, Crunchyroll crashes every week when Super releases due to the giant amount of traffic, Random pirated youtube livestreams get over 30,000 views the characters are well known inside the hardcore DBZ fandom and outside

(Shit, missed that typo)

How many characters from Z are missing in the Xenoverse games? (genuine curiosity, since I don't follow those games)
'cause if Z is more than covered in those games, I don't see what they can actually try to sell to people other than the most recent content in the franchise

Then, Dragon Ball games target demographic is way bigger than anime fans and the main selling point of DB games is the DBZ nostalgia

Also, they decide to go with Super Vegeta of all things

My realistic roster guess:

Goku
Vegeta
Piccolo
Krillin
Gohan
Future Trunks
Cell
Majin Buu
Frieza
Android 18
Beerus
Videl
Zamasu
Whis
Yamcha
Tien
Master Roshi

It's 17 cuz that was number of characters from Xrd if you include the DLC.

cordy

Banned
I think because of Golden Frieza (obviously, cos he's already in) and Beerus might get a pass yeah, because of their inclusion in the Z films. I'm not sure anyone outside of that from Super (at least in the base version of this game) is guaranteed at all.
Yeah I think Golden Freeza, Beerus, SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta will get their shine with the base game while all the others will just be DLC. Since I see this being a big hit (and ASW always does sequels) I think the next additions will definitely get the Super love. It'll be pretty easy.

Crocodile

I REALLY REALLY hope SSJB Goku and Vegeta aren't separate characters. They should just be installs of Goku and Vegeta proper. Maybe they'll be implemented in the Beta or a later pre-release version of the game.

as an aside, if y'all are looking for more female characters, don't sleep on

Brianne de Chateau who transforms into Magical Girl Ribrianne

DAT1_Ll_ZVYAAT29_T.jpg

Transformation here

We don't exactly know her powerset yet but she is supposed to be one of the major characters in the current tournament arc (the tournament hasn't started but it will soon).

The thing about Cauliflower and Kale is that they're both a) too new and b) the saga they're introduced in hasn't even really gotten fully under way, yet. At most, as far as Super content goes, I don't see them going past Goku Black for Base Roster.

It would. It takes a long time to create a fighting game character. When characters were being considered Caulifla and Kale wouldn't have even appeared on the whiteboard.

I think people forget that because ASW is working with Bandai-Namco, they have access to more info and insight on new characters than anyone on the outside. "They are too new" I don't think is likely to weigh to hard against there inclusion.

As an aside, when they confirm Trunks, I hope they include his new moves and power-up from Super

Dragon Rush is the game's equivalent to Dust from GG + throw + snap back (I don't think anyone has seen what triggers the snap back yet)

HardRojo

I want SSB RoF outfits Vegeta and Goku to be separate characters, but that's because I'm 200% biased towards those costumes. I totally love them, if my avatar isn't indication enough... and I'd fucking love to see ASW animate those renditions of Goku and Vegeta in all of their SSB glory.

Fj0823

I REALLY REALLY hope SSJB Goku and Vegeta aren't separate characters. They should just be installs of Goku and Vegeta proper. Maybe they'll be implemented in the Beta or a later pre-release version of the game.

DAT1_Ll_ZVYAAT29_T.jpg

Transformation here

We don't exactly know her powerset yet but she is supposed to be one of the major characters in the current tournament arc (the tournament hasn't started but it will soon).

I think people forget that because ASW is working with Bandai-Namco, they have access to more info and insight on new characters than anyone on the outside.

Also, She's gonna 1v1 Vegeta

tumblr_oqe90bO39t1wqsv3wo1_500.gif

I can't wait.

I want SSB RoF outfits Vegeta and Goku to be separate characters, but that's because I'm 200% biased towards those costumes. I totally love them, if my avatar isn't indication enough... and I'd fucking love to see ASW animate those renditions of Goku and Vegeta in all of their SSB glory.

We'll probably get Blue Goku and Vegeta as separate characters, but who knows what outfits they'll have.

Also, She's gonna 1v1 Vegeta

tumblr_oqe90bO39t1wqsv3wo1_500.gif

I can't wait.

^This GIF bothers me because it's skipping frames.

uOdM8Np.gif

Rawmee

Neo Member
Dragon Rush is the game's equivalent to Dust from GG + throw + snap back (I don't think anyone has seen what triggers the snap back yet)

You can dragon rush someone up or horizontally like dust and doing the horizontal version in the corner is what I've seen trigger the snapback.

I would love it if they had one or two completely out of left field unexpected characters like Roshi/Jackie Chun or or something insane like Bulma in a mecha suit or Android 17.
I'm just picking on you Slaythe :)

Lulubop

DAT1_Ll_ZVYAAT29_T.jpg

Transformation here

I think people forget that because ASW is working with Bandai-Namco, they have access to more info and insight on new characters than anyone on the outside. "They are too new" I don't think is likely to weigh to hard against there inclusion.

As an aside, when they confirm Trunks, I hope they include his new moves and power-up from Super

isnt she from FF10?

Top Bottom