• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Major full-fledged" Assassin's Creed Sequel Confirmed for 2012

Pft, this isn't new news. I think most AC fans were already fairly sure this was gonna happen.

Is it still milking if all the installments rock? Shit, bring on AC3 in 2012, my body is ready for the end of the world.

rataven

AC is the only yearly series I play, and it's become a nice tradition for me around the holidays. As long as the series doesn't take a nosedive into total crap, I'll excitedly be there for each entry.

unomas

Banned
Bought the first 3 and enjoyed them all, but I'm up in the air about Revelations, and now they're announcing another one? I guess we'll see how quickly they can Guitar Hero this thing.

ArjanN

Wilbury said:
I'd like it if they maybe had like, 2 or 3 hours in loads of different locations; like Desmond has to rush through different ancestors in the Animus to find clues, as opposed to spending ages in one.

I think it's pretty likely they'll do something like that for the final game.

Sai-kun said:
It's only milking if the quality of the games goes down with every new one. That's...not the case with AC, so bring on the sequels :)

I got kind of burned out in Brotherhood even though I'll go back to it eventually. Each game seems to improve a little bit over the previous one, sure, but they're all still very similar, so I am getting some franchise fatigue.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't they say they'll be spreading them out after Revelations? Or am I delusional?

The Antitype said:
One of the better parts of the AC games is that they tend to stay away from eras that have been done to death in games.

Based on the video unlocked by solving the Subject 16 puzzles in part 2, the architecture in the ancient civilization looked pretty interesting... I wouldn't be surprised if we visited there for some of the game.

hmm i disagree. at least not recently. the last game i can remember is tenchu. imagining the running a full japanese empire under this engine would be sick as hell. it would be a win win i think. the only other ninja game is ninja g but that's more of an arcade type game.

frequency

If I had heard this after AC2, I'd have been super excited.

But the annual releases have chased me away from this series. Shame because I was sooo into the story in AC2. AC2 is basically the only open world game I've enjoyed, so it really did a lot for me. But annual releases.... I just couldn't keep up. And half way through Brotherhood, I was already tired of the formula.

I'll wiki/youtube the plot when it's all over I guess.

Loxley

I don't see why this is such a problem when the games have been getting better since AC1. Brotherhood was by far the best to date, and Revelations looks to be an even bigger improvement. Of course many of the improvements are marginal, but they're fantastic games; I can't believe they manage to get these out so quickly with so much damn content and polish.

The Assassin's Creed team at Ubi must be fucking huge.

But I'm definitely ready for a new setting and new main character, as much as I've liked Ezio. I actually would be in favor of a female protagonist this time around.

acm2000

whats the problem with annual releases like this? this isnt a sports game where they could just update squads etc, these are totally new titles in a progressing story, a year is a long time, nothing wrong with yearly games when done right

frequency

acm2000 said:
whats the problem with annual releases like this? this isnt a sports game where they could just update squads etc, these are totally new titles in a progressing story, a year is a long time, nothing wrong with yearly games when done right
There's nothing really wrong with it if people are still enjoying them, even at that pace. I don't think there's anything wrong with annual releases of sports games either in fact. It's just that I personally can't keep up with it. And I get "burned out" on the formula. I'm sure AC:R is a good game and AC3 will continue to be good. It's just too much in too short a time for me.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, it feels like years since Brotherhood came out, and Revelations is just down the road!

Anyway, I will get it, I need to know what happens in the macro storyline, which so far is looking good. I hope that the last creative director left the entire trilogy written, because there's no way in hell I'm gonna be happy with Ubisoft screwing up my favorite storyline in games so far (okay, with Deus Ex too).

Although I do trust the new creative director, he looks like a very smart and imaginative man.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Just like CODs and it's annual releases I got burnt out of AssCreed and it's outdated formula,I don't even want to buy Revelations anytime soon.

AC3 or whatever it will be called need to be completely different and unique to bring me back to the series.

FStop7

Banned
Considering the big date that has been a central part of the storyline since the first game is coming up in late 2012, it would be more of a surprise if AC3 DIDN'T come out then.

I really don't get the "milk" whining going on in here. AC2 and Brotherhood were both legit GOTY candidates. So annualizing a franchise is a bad thing to do even if the games continue to be great? How does that work?

Bit-Bit

Why does it matter to some of you that the Franchise is getting a game every year? Assassin's Creed manages to do what few games have ever done. And that is to make each yearly release better than the last. It's a fact that AC2 is better than AC1 and that Brotherhood is better than AC2. Besides, there's an entire year apart between releases. That's a long time. And there's no other game on the market that has the same free running gameplay that Assassin's Creed offers so I don't see what the issue is. It's about the only "sandbox" type game that I enjoy. Plus it actually has a fresh setting that no other games in the genre has. I say we need more AC every year!

Evlar

Banned
Totobeni said:
2007 Assassin's Creed ( PC/PS3/360)
2008 Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles (Android/DS)
2008 Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (PSP)
2009 Assassin's Creed II (PC/PS3/360 )
2009 Assassin's Creed II: Discovery ( DS/iOS)
2010 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PC/PS3/360)
2011 Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PC/PS3/360)
See? They've been slowing down!

JJD

I hope it's not another spinoff like Brotherhood and Revelations. I'm beginning to get a little burn out on the series but I do want to see how they'll close up Desmond story.

Arment

They might be "milking" it but the games are improved quite a bit each time unlike some other truly milked franchises.

I remember after beating AC1 I was pretty disappointed because I was going to have to wait 3~ years for a new game between each game. I'd rather have this.

JJD said:
I hope it's not another spinoff like Brotherhood and Revelations. I'm beginning to get a little burn out on the series but I do want to see how they'll close up Desmond story.

They aren't spin-offs if they continue the main story :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Good. A new setting will help, but even then I'm feeling burnt out on the AC formula. I'll definitely avoid Revelations.

Raide

Ubisoft strikes again...just leave AC alone till Next-Gen. You will burn people out on AC and when you want to announce a next-gen version, you will have nothing to do apart from make it prettier.

An-Det

Not a surprise, but I'll absolutely play it. So long as they keep the new releases as good as they have been or better, I'm more than happy for them to keep it going at this pace. Releasing yearly releases isn't milking, quickly shitting out new entries to maximize profit at the expense of quality is.

~Kinggi~

Banned
When looking at things from a certain angle, it is backwards world when a series like Assassins creed is selling millions and releasing at a Call of Duty pace every year.

Really this series shouldnt have been successful at all.

i approve of this news

Dany

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
When looking at things from a certain angle, it is backwards world when a series like Assassins creed is selling millions and releasing at a Call of Duty pace every year.

Really this series shouldnt have been successful at all.

i approve of this news

They also take some massive leaps (of faith) between games.

Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed 2: Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed 2: Revelations, and Assassin's Creed 3.

Wow.

Top Bottom