• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: House passes Russia sanctions bill, setting up veto dilemma for Trump

KSweeley

It's actually happening!!! The U.S. House of Representatives has just passed a Russia sanctions bill with a 419-3 vote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...pisrc=al_alert-COMBO-politics%2Bnation&wpmk=1

July 25, 2017

The House on Tuesday voted overwhelmingly to advance new financial sanctions against key U.S. adversaries and deliver a foreign-policy brushback to President Trump by limiting his ability to waive many of them.

Included in the package, which passed 419 to 3, are new measures targeting key Russian officials in retaliation for that country’s alleged interference in the 2016 presidential election, as well as sanctions against Iran and North Korea in response to those nations’ weapons programs.

Members of the Trump administration, including Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, have resisted the congressional push — in particular a provision attached to the Russian and Iranian measures that would require Congress to sign off on any move to relieve those sanctions.

The legislation was revised last week to address some administration concerns, including its potential effect on overseas oil-and-gas projects that include Russian partners. But the bill passed Tuesday retains the congressional review requirement.

“These three regimes in different parts of the world are threatening vital U.S. interests, and they are destabilizing their neighbors,” House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Edward R. Royce (R-Calif.) said Tuesday. “It is well past time that we forcefully respond.”

I think if this doesnt hurt Russia too badly Putin might let Donny let this slide. Cause it will be a shit storm if it gets vetoed, Putin might wanna save that veto for something else.

Locke562

What dilemma? It's veto-proof, I thought

If he tries it it'll be fucking hilarious though
He can still pocket veto, right? That keeps him from going on the record. Even scarier than that is Trump could fire Sessions, and go the recess appointment route for a new AG.

RevoDS

He can still pocket veto, right? That keeps him from going on the record. Even scarier than that is Trump could fire Sessions, and go the recess appointment route for a new AG.

Not sure, but I believe the fact that Democrats' plan to hold pro-forma sessions to stop the Senate from formally going on recess has the added benefit of countering a pocket veto, along with its stated goal of preventing recess nominations.

What dilemma? It's veto-proof, I thought

If he tries it it'll be fucking hilarious though

That's the Dilemma:

Does he sign a bill that basically calls his own stance on Russie horse shit and limits his own power or does he play for himself and veto it so it doesn't look like he contradicted himself just so the whole of congress can tell him to fuck off?

Will Trump willingly limit his own power or choose to look like a fool?

It's kind of interesting, he has to choose between his two favorite things, image and power and he can't get both.

avaya

Optics.

Even if this bill passes by override Trump will be able to say he didn't sign it.

Why would he do this? Optics wise it looks horrendous for him - it's as bipartisan a bill as you could get. A poster child for functioning government. How would he benefit from saying he didn't sign it? Who would be against this bill?

If he were to veto it, it's just another piece of evidence on the already overwhelming mountain that is alluding to the fact that he is more than likely a fucking traitor.

Shauni

If he doesn't veto he looks weak by accepting a bill that limits his powers. If he vetoes the bill he looks weak because he'll be overridden by his own party.

Like Trump gives two shits about that, it's all about ultimately lifting sanctions on Russia, that's his #1 priority.

Shauni

Why would he do this? Optics wise it looks horrendous for him - it's as bipartisan a bill as you could get. A poster child for functioning government. How would he benefit from saying he didn't sign it? Who would be against this bill?

If he were to veto it, it's just another piece of evidence on the already overwhelming mountain that is alluding to the fact that he is more than likely a fucking traitor.

Where have you been that Trump cares one bit about optics?

sangreal

Not sure, but I believe the fact that Democrats' plan to hold pro-forma sessions to stop the Senate from formally going on recess has the added benefit of countering a pocket veto, along with its stated goal of preventing recess nominations.

Yes but that didn't stop Bush from using the pocket veto on the defense bill in 2007 while the Senate was holding pro forma sessions to block his recess appointments

Sadly, Pelosi dropped the matter and they passed a new bill

rambis

Banned

Idk but sanctions seem to be a key point of Russia's MO in working with Trump. He may not want to portray him being complicit in basically removing his ability to remove them.

If Trump was a normal president then maybe there's an argument about the executive signing away implied powers or something. But we all know better

Kthulhu

It's pretty sad that I have to be thankful that this is one of the few things I can be glad the GOP can be reasonable on.

Fuck those 3 that voted no though. I'd love to see their reasoning.

avaya

Where have you been that Trump cares one bit about optics?

Why would he veto this bill? Only 3 GOP reps voted against it in a House full of nutjobs, even Rohrbacher managed to get Putin's dick out of his mouth to vote for it.

Like Trump gives two shits about that, it's all about ultimately lifting sanctions on Russia, that's his #1 priority.

That's off the table now (one would hope)

He's not going to have the power either way.

Does he give it up without a fight or look foolish?

Can the minority party hold pro forma meetings?

I guess they can after doing some more reading.

Shauni

Why would he veto this bill? Only 3 GOP reps voted against it in a House full of nutjobs, even Rohrbacher managed to get Putin's dick out of his mouth to vote for it.

Because his main goal is to lift sanctions on Russia, so he's going to do anything and everything he can to eventually get there, optics be dammed. He'll just use so lame, 'Well, this limits the President's power' blah blah, he doesn't care. He's never cared lol. Where you been?

mnannola

I haven't really heard Trump come out heavily against this bill. Even if Putin wants him to veto it, I don't think he does because it would be a pointless veto.

subrock

I love that the POTUS being in a dilemma over Russian sanctions is such an open secret that pretty much all of congress has voted to walk him into this trap.

Shauni

I haven't really heard Trump come out heavily against this bill. Even if Putin wants him to veto it, I don't think he does because it would be a pointless veto.

Trump himself hasn't said much, but there was apparently a lot of noise coming from the WH toward the House when it passed the Senate, which many people assumed had a lot to do with why it was delayed so long. So, yeah, there has been pushback.

JettDash

Because his main goal is to lift sanctions on Russia, so he's going to do anything and everything he can to eventually get there, optics be dammed. He'll just use so lame, 'Well, this limits the President's power' blah blah, he doesn't care. He's never cared lol. Where you been?

But vetoing the bill won't actually get him there.

More sanctions against Iran? What have they done now?

Nothing. Which is why Bernie voted "no" in the senate. IMO it's largely a sanction to help sweeten the deal for the GOP. Now they can tell their constituents they're tough on Iran while simultaneously removing power from Trump.

He will not get this though. So he's left with the two options I stated.

The WH came out against it when it came up a few weeks ago. the bill stumbled a bit but they worked it out.

avaya

Rohrbacher and Nunes voted for this. It is unusual that the House especially did not see more Republican's vote against this bill.

Say we assume Putin is setting up Trump to look bad by trying to veto - what does that achieve? Trump is made to look like a bitch when Congress overrides in a fully bipartisan decision.

Even from Putin's perspective, it doesn't really make sense for Trump to try and veto this particular bill. I do believe Trump is beholden to the Russian's, no question since the dossier was released and we knew of Steele's background. However in this particular instance it would just be brazenly stupid to veto this bill. The sanctions imposed aren't even particularly harsh or game changing, it's pretty much status quo for Russia.

Or maybe Fenderputty is right, Putin still thinks he wins by making the President look like a bitch.

If you are Putin and you put all this work into helping elect trump.

Why would you care how it looks if he tries to stop sanctions. What's the point of having a puppet in the White House if you get even more sanctions placed on you? The entire point of getting him in there was to get rid of them.

If there is really a kompromat I say Trump doesn't have a choice. Will veto or make some sort of effort to stop it even if it isn't successful

Top Bottom