• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II |OT| Alas, Thou Art getting a Switch Port Hero

Tailzo

Anyone planning on getting Switch version? Apparently it has framerate issues but it got better in the final version.

Did SE even announced if they will bring the Switch version? If it's $60 it might be worth it considering it's both games in one cart.

I keep checking for news about this. I want this portable, but the Switch demo was as bad as the Vita version (better in some respects, worse in others). So I really need to know it has improved. Otherwise I would be stupid not to buy it for my ps4 pro, and then remote play it on Vita.

I kinda want it on Switch though. Since it would be 100% portable... But how much can I sacrifice for that? (I downloaded the japanese demo on Switch BTW, it didn't feel nearly as good as the first game on ps4. Framerate was bad....)

eastx

I really don't think the Vita version is bad at all. The graphics are obviously downgraded, but it runs fine and feels just like the PS4 game.

heringer

I keep checking for news about this. I want this portable, but the Switch demo was as bad as the Vita version (better in some respects, worse in others). So I really need to know it has improved. Otherwise I would be stupid not to buy it for my ps4 pro, and then remote play it on Vita.

I kinda want it on Switch though. Since it would be 100% portable... But how much can I sacrifice for that? (I downloaded the japanese demo on Switch BTW, it didn't feel nearly as good as the first game on ps4. Framerate was bad....)

Yeah, performance is bad in the demo. However, I did read reports of framerate being improved in the final version, especially for undocked.

Here's a video of someone playing undocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuDPsEN-nn4

heringer

Ok good, Thank you for the video :) I'd like it portable. But not at any cost. Is going to be released outside japan in Europe / the US?

I don't think there's any confirmation of that yet. :/

They would be stupid not to do it, though. Maybe they are improving performance, maybe they are just waiting to sell both games in one cart for $60 without pissing off PS4 and PC customers.

Do you think that using localized names (as opposed to using the same names in all markets) is what is keeping Dragon Quest from getting attention?

The only really awkward phoneticization was Ragnar's chapter in the DS DQ4 remake, but I find it's a really effective way to provide the social class cues without resorting to honorifics. DQ has fantastic localization across the entire series, with the unfortunate exception of PSX Dragon Warrior 7 which had sloppy editing and questionable translations.

I'll give you Gabo => Ruff though. I renamed him back to Gabo as soon as I could in DQ7 3DS. :)

No I just don't get why we're still using Erdrick in place of Roto/Loto and stuff like that. The games are referencing things that barely anyone has any nostalgia for in the west.

Tailzo

I don't think there's any confirmation of that yet. :/

They would be stupid not to do it, though. Maybe they are improving performance, maybe they are just waiting to sell both games in one cart for $60 without pissing off PS4 and PC customers.

Ah yes, maybe that is why. Maybe they think they need to wait 6 months or so.

Ferr986

Atleast you don't have Terry named Norris like in the spanish version (and Carver = Ebanisto lol). DQ7 characters too are changed: Gronzo and Mariel.

DQ4 and 8 characters are the same.

Linkura

Do you think that using localized names (as opposed to using the same names in all markets) is what is keeping Dragon Quest from getting attention?

I'm not sure if this is a serious question. Edit: Nm, see it was in response to the post above.

Raw64life

The last map update came out today and it was actually pretty easy to find 3 other people to coop it with. Beat the Dragonlord three separate times just because I was so happy to be able to regularly find lots of people to coop with. It'll probably be dead by tomorrow.

But I think I'm done with this game now anyway. Ended up at about 50 hours but only got my MC to level 62. I got everyone to 99 in DQH1. Still enjoyed the game quite a bit.

Ferr986

Finished the game at around 30 hours at lvl between 40 and 43. The last dungeon dragged on friggin forever. Thanks god I killed the final boss the first time because I wouldn't want to do that again. But overall I enjoyed the game.

Now I want to do the dungeons, but I want them to do in coop and there's simply no one online playing :/

Velcro Fly

Just started this and got to the first town. Not sure why but I can't access the DLC stuff. I redeemed my code and downloaded them but still nothing. I did get the popups for the costumes for having a save file for the first game though.

Edit: exited out of game to go eat dinner and came back and everything is popping. Turns out for some reason one of the items failed to download so none of them popped. Now I am getting them all :D

RangerBAD

There has to be a faster way of farming mini medals and gold. Even Allure Rings don't help much. And what's up with Wight King's coin never dropping? :(

moeman

Do you all think we will hear something about the Switch version in the west at e3?

Hopefully. I'd like some confirmation that we are getting this game. I enjoy the alternate warriors-style games like HW and DQH so it would be nice to have this on switch. SE has sadly been relatively quiet about their Switch offerings in the west.

Tailzo

Hopefully. I'd like some confirmation that we are getting this game. I enjoy the alternate warriors-style games like HW and DQH so it would be nice to have this on switch. SE has sadly been relatively quiet about their Switch offerings in the west.

I actually have Fire Emblem Warriors preordered :p

I liked Dynasty Warriors Next for Vita, I feel these kinda games are nice portable. As long as the framerate isn't horrible :p

gblues

Banned
Welp, after having pretty good luck with getting online sessions going, I'm hitting the "can't create lobby" wall. Trying to look for other games results in mysterious "network error."

I'm literally on the last fight in the main game and I can't call for help. That leaves me with grinding for levels on my own and it's tedious.

Then you have shit dungeon maps like the "defend the stone" one that are impossible to complete solo because the AI is worthless.

TheCed

Welp, after having pretty good luck with getting online sessions going, I'm hitting the "can't create lobby" wall. Trying to look for other games results in mysterious "network error."

I'm literally on the last fight in the main game and I can't call for help. That leaves me with grinding for levels on my own and it's tedious.

Then you have shit dungeon maps like the "defend the stone" one that are impossible to complete solo because the AI is worthless.

I've solved the issue by unbanning every banned players from my PSN ban list.

It worked.
Could you try this ?

Erdrick

No I just don't get why we're still using Erdrick in place of Roto/Loto and stuff like that. The games are referencing things that barely anyone has any nostalgia for in the west.

Because people like me grew up with that name and I have an attachment to that name as opposed to Loto. Loto sounds like a cousin of Lolo of HAL fame, not the Hero Of Legend. Considering that DQ is very focused on nostalgia, SE going back to names that I actually have good memories of, was a good move.

I appreciate it immensely and like that they haven't forgotten older fans like me who've been with the series since it's beginnings here in the west. Precise localisations be damned.

FireFox516

Neo Member
I recently finished up this game, at least the main Story, clocking roughly around 30 hours.

I loved it, just like the first game, as it seemed to get more and more rewarding and addicting the more I played it. I was going to attempt the Platinum trophy just like I got with the first game (and Builders), but I think I'm going to wait until there's a Trophy guide, or something. There's SO much post-game content, that I'd have no idea where to even start, and the amount of grinding it takes to max out my characters to take on the higher-level online dungeons is insane. (I haven't found a single King Metal Slime, even when playing on Wednesday!!)

I'm glad there was a lot more balance this time around (not needing to constantly have Bianca and Terry in my team was freeing to me) so I could experiment with different characters, and it was fun to see them all shine. I hope this game's sales don't prevent a sequel, since this series is easily my favorite of the Musou genre. The localization was beyond charming, and the gameplay systems make sure to let you know that this is a Dragon Quest game first, Warriors game second. Loved it.

I will say one of the highlights of my playthrough, was getting
stuck in the boss rush dungeon near the end of the game
, and summoning a group of players from Japan to come in and just smash the remaining bosses that were giving me a hard time. :D

Ōkami

Where's a good place to grind?

Already got to Fractos, but couldn't even deplete half of his life on his second form despite the first form being pretty easy, I'm playing with the main girl/Maribel/Alena/Jessica, party is in the mid 40s.

All help online I find is bout Roseguardins but those appear in the post game.

tonypark

Does the final game get a graphical upgrade compare to the demo on ps4 pro?
The demo is sooo jaggy on my 4k display.
Normal?

Exentryk

I started playing this a few days ago and probably am about half way (
beat the huge monster with Atlas
). As someone that doesn't play musou games, and haven't really played any DQ game, this game is sorta amazing! Love the variety in classes and combat, and destroying a bunch of enemies with AOE moves is very satisfying! The structure of the game being more like an ARPG is so much better! The voice acting is nice, and the characters are great too (tho I have no nostalgia for any of them).

My main team currently is Teresa (Mage with Whip),
Meena, Carver, and Angelo
. Gives me Kasap, Oomph, Timbrel of Tension, and other debuffs/healing from Meena. Teresa's Kacrack is great for clearing large groups of trash enemies, and bosses go down fairly quick with that Critical Ring move and then Crack spell spam (with it being critical hits). I could probably get faster damage with Martial Artist, but am just getting the different classes to at least lv 36.

Some stuff that I'm not so fond of is there not being much aerial manoeuvrability (seriously add some sort of evade in the air [see NieR Automata]), and the longer musou sections. Also, I feel the game would feel even better if the combat was slightly slowed, and the number of enemies reduced. Enemies telegraph attacks nicely, so it is a nice base system that can shine with less chaos and spamming.

Still, I'm really enjoying it. The DQ art-style is so charming, and I'll definitely love to see more action games in this universe.

Anyway, back to playing more.

Edit: Also I should mention that the only reason I looked at this game again after not liking the structure of the first DQH was an LTTP thread. The game really needed better marketing to highlight this was more of an ARPG than a musou, as a lot of people might be missing out on this.

Top Bottom