• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Shaneus

What would be the main use for this today? I'm not using any HENkaku plugins, like O'Clock Vita, but they are loaded automatically when HENkaku becomes active, right?
Yup, but if you mostly just use your Vita for Retroarch or Adrenaline, you can have those start up as soon as you load Henkaku :)

I'm using PSX2PSP
I retried and still no dice with ff9
I tried other games and the same problem is there with one disc games, my tomb raider 1 show as corrupted data while tomb raider 2 works fine :(

EDIT: I'm using adrenaline 3.1 by the way
Could try updating adrenaline, but I'm fairly sure mine worked on 3.1 as well.

i haven't turned my Henkaku Vita since maybe August last year. I have a Japanese 2000 model and am looking to buy a western model as my main Vita.

Has there been a hack released to make the X button function as select for the Asian models?

Yes, there is. Funnily enough, it was released August last year.
Oh, thanks for this. That page seems to insinuate that it's possible to do it via accessibility settings!

Also, how is Henkaku doing? Is there a permanent solution yet or is it sometime you have to apply after switching it on each time like before? I vaguely remember installing an offline installed or something via the e-mail app last year.

Shaneus

Oh, thanks for this. That page seems to insinuate that it's possible to do it via accessibility settings!

Also, how is Henkaku doing? Is there a permanent solution yet or is it sometime you have to apply after switching it on each time like before? I vaguely remember installing an offline installed or something via the e-mail app last year.
The latest feature, due to come out towards the end of July, is called Enso. It's not a CFW, however it's probably the closest we'll get. Basically, it just hooks and boots Henkaku at startup/power on, so you don't have to go to the website or run the offline installer.

Other than that (and Adrenaline, the PSP emulation hack) I don't think you've missed too much?

Joey Ravn

Banned
What's the easiest, fastest way these days to change the title of a bubble with HENkaku? Back in the day, I would need to download the db.app, modify the database and reupload the file to the system. Anything better now?

The latest feature, due to come out towards the end of July, is called Enso. It's not a CFW, however it's probably the closest we'll get. Basically, it just hooks and boots Henkaku at startup/power on, so you don't have to go to the website or run the offline installer.

Other than that (and Adrenaline, the PSP emulation hack) I don't think you've missed too much?
Oh nice, and thanks for the info. Do you know if Enso will require an online connection to boot at startup or can it work offline? I need to look into Adrenaline for the PSP stuff - wondering if it's possible to get the classic PS1 games like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro working via it.

Yup, you can whitelist (I've played 2048 and Lumines on my TV), play anything playable in the PSP environment (Adrenaline) and mount a USB stick as storage.

Thanks! That's awesome, I'm gonna have to do this today.

Once I do this, what should I do to try to ensure my PSN doesn't get banned? I've got thousands of dollars worth of purchases on my account.

linkboy

Oh nice, and thanks for the info. Do you know if Enso will require an online connection to boot at startup or can it work offline? I need to look into Adrenaline for the PSP stuff - wondering if it's possible to get the classic PS1 games like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro working via it.

You can.

I've got my PS1 games that I dumped back when I had a CFW on my PSP running just fine.

Dark Rider

I'm using adrenaline 4
Is there a way to make adrenaline render ps1 games on 320x240 instead of 640x480?
I choose "original" in the options (I'm using a PSTV) and it render that in 640x480
Also is there a way to disable the bilinear filtering?

note: I upgraded from adrenaline 3.1 to 4
1) the games that show up as corrupted data in 3.1 still not working in 4
2) in 3.1 I can disable the bilinear filtering as far as I remember but not in 4

miserable

I'm using adrenaline 4
Is there a way to make adrenaline render ps1 games on 320x240 instead of 640x480?
I choose "original" in the options (I'm using a PSTV) and it render that in 640x480

2) in 3.1 I can disable the bilinear filtering as far as I remember but not in 4

you can't disable filtering in 4. also it causes slowdown in some ps1 games. best to revert to 3.1

I'm using adrenaline 4

I was under the impression the pstv only ever output 720p regardless or the content therein. Is your TV detecting 640X480?

Dark Rider

you can't disable filtering in 4. also it causes slowdown in some ps1 games. best to revert to 3.1

bummer, thank you

I was under the impression the pstv only ever output 720p regardless or the content therein. Is your TV detecting 640X480?

my tv is receiving 720p image regardless of the game resolution so when I choose for the psp games to be x1 in the setting although the image on tv is 720p the game "window" if you can call it that is actually a rectangle in the middle while the ps1 games (although set to "original" resolution in the options) is more than double that size
psp resolution: 480×272
ps1 resolution: 320x240

so my ps1 games shouldn't look double the resolution of the psp games on my tv
I think it is rendering the ps1 games on 640x480

bummer, thank you

my tv is receiving 720p image regardless of the game resolution so when I choose for the psp games to be x1 in the setting although the image on tv is 720p the game "window" if you can call it that is actually a rectangle in the middle while the ps1 games (although set to "original" resolution in the options) is more than double that size
psp resolution: 480×272
ps1 resolution: 320x240

so my ps1 games shouldn't look double the resolution of the psp games on my tv
I think it is rendering the ps1 games on 640x480
It is almost certainly rendering both PSP and ps1 games at double the resolution of the PSP screen, since the Vita is 2x larger on both axis. There is no way that I'm aware of to force 240p or 272p for ps1 or PSP games. You might be able to do some trickery with an external scaler like a framemeister but I wouldn't count on it.

I've really been kicking myself for updating my Vita past 3.60 last summer (I wanted Axiom Verge for a vacation I was taking and updated to download it).

I've been looking at getting a new/used Vita with 3.60 or lower, but it's a bit tricky. Amazon has a few new Vitas for sale, but some people say there's came with 3.60 while others came with 3.63.

I've heard the Borderlands bundle is a guaranteed way of getting a lower than 3.60 firmware, but those are usually $300 vs. the ~$200 ones on Amazon. Are there model numbers I can look for that indicate what firmware they have, or some other way to tell? (by color or something?)

Any new (actually new, not refurbished, not like new, not barely used etc) Vita that is not the fully red or silver slim model released last December will ship with appropriate firmware AFAIK. There may be some limited editions that are on her firmware as well but I don't pay attention to those generally.

Minions

I've really been kicking myself for updating my Vita past 3.60 last summer (I wanted Axiom Verge for a vacation I was taking and updated to download it).

I've been looking at getting a new/used Vita with 3.60 or lower, but it's a bit tricky. Amazon has a few new Vitas for sale, but some people say there's came with 3.60 while others came with 3.63.

I've heard the Borderlands bundle is a guaranteed way of getting a lower than 3.60 firmware, but those are usually $300 vs. the ~$200 ones on Amazon. Are there model numbers I can look for that indicate what firmware they have, or some other way to tell? (by color or something?)

I was in your same position a couple weeks ago. Ended up buying a like-new 3.60 slim off ebay for $130~ shipped. Arrived with a few scuffs on the back, but a perfect screen. New borderlands bundles seem to be nearly $300 these days.

I was in your same position a couple weeks ago. Ended up buying a like-new 3.60 slim off ebay for $130~ shipped. Arrived with a few scuffs on the back, but a perfect screen. New borderlands bundles seem to be nearly $300 these days.
Nice! I messaged a few ebay listing about what their firmware was (and instruction on how to find it if they don't know) so I'm hoping to hear back in the next day or so. Most listings I've found don't mention the firmware and if they do it's because they've already put Henkaku on it and are charging an extra $100 for it.
Any new (actually new, not refurbished, not like new, not barely used etc) Vita that is not the fully red or silver slim model released last December will ship with appropriate firmware AFAIK. There may be some limited editions that are on her firmware as well but I don't pay attention to those generally.
This is good to know, thanks!
The Amazon listing I'm looking at is a fully new Slim black model, SVIN number: B00PV515DU, and lists the release date as December 15, 2014 (but who knows how accurate that is), which is well before 3.60 came out and it's a reasonable $207 (especially if I sell my current Vita afterwards).

If I don't hear back from the eBay listings I mentioned I think I'll go ahead and order the one selling through Amazon. It's an Amazon Fullfilled order, so at the very least I should be able to return it easily if the Firmware is higher than 3.60.

Just ordered the new black Slim PS Vita, fingers crossed that it's the right firmware!

Skimming through all the instructions for installing HENKaku and I'm impressed with how straight forward it all is. I did 3DS homebrewing on both of my 3DSs fairly recently and that was a pretty lengthy, involved process.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hey, guys. 2 quick questions:

How do you configure plugins in Adrenaline? Like the recently-compatible Categories Lite. What do I have to do make it work?

I asked last week, but I guess my question got lost in the midst of news and cool new things. What's the best/easiest way to edit a bubble's title? I used to have to download the db.app, modify it and upload it again. Is there anything better than that, or should I continue with that method?

Dark Rider

sorry for the very late response

It is almost certainly rendering both PSP and ps1 games at double the resolution of the PSP screen, since the Vita is 2x larger on both axis. There is no way that I'm aware of to force 240p or 272p for ps1 or PSP games. You might be able to do some trickery with an external scaler like a framemeister but I wouldn't count on it.

I checked my vita that does not have henkaku and it look like the PS1 games do play on x2 the original resolution but it looks fine because the vita screen is small (
also dat oled screen
)

BUT in adrenaline on my pstv I have the choice for psp environment/games to make them play on x1 the original resolution of the psp
while ps1 are still forced to play x2 the resolution and even that looked off
so I checked adrenaline github and found out that 4.1 acknowledges that the pstv have a fucked up resolution for ps1 and it fixes it. So after trying it out the resolution on the pstv is not fucked up but it is still forced x2 (I guess that is because the system uses that as the "original" option)
since adrenaline can force psp games to be x1 I think it can also force it on ps1 games.
I still hated the bilinear filter which I cannot turn off on 4.1 so I updated to adrenaline v5 and that one is all sorts of bugged on the pstv at least
v5 problems that I found:
1) BOTH psp environment and games are forced full screen even if you change their resolution to x1 in the setting
2) ps1 fucked up (fucked up as in its not even correct double the resolution) x2 resolution is back from before the 4.1 update
3) the feature that is most wanted by me which is to turn off bilinear filtering is bugged and force turn itself on regardless of the sitting
4) bonus bug when I pressed the home button to quit the ps1 game (for the psp native menu) it was invisible despite it being functional (yes if you remember the key strokes you can quit the game although you can't see the menu) and it looks like what triggers this bug is turning the filters off.

so my current options are:
1) revert back to 3.1 to turn off the filters but suffer the ps1 fucked up resolution (no x1 and the x2 "original" is not displayed correctly).
2) revert back to 4.1 so the x2 resolution for ps1 games is displayed correctly but then I cannot turn off the filters. and of course I still can't play ps1 games on x1

They talk about Vita and PSP PS1 display options in this video. Maybe that clears things up

Thank you for the video. It doesn't help my situation but it is informative nonetheless.

New version of Adrenaline is out! Thankfully fixes the slowdown issue with PS1 games by providing an "original" filter option.

I don't advice anyone to update to this yet (at least not on the pstv). It has all the problems from the previous versions and the "filter off" option is bugged and force turn back on regardless of what you have in the settings.

How do you configure plugins in Adrenaline? Like the recently-compatible Categories Lite. What do I have to do make it work?

As far as I know the latest version only works on 6.60 so you need to find a modified version to make it work on 6.61 psp firmware which I have no idea where to find. if you find out please let us know because I'm interested too.

I asked last week, but I guess my question got lost in the midst of news and cool new things. What's the best/easiest way to edit a bubble's title? I used to have to download the db.app, modify it and upload it again. Is there anything better than that, or should I continue with that method?

I think it is still the same but I'm not following this particular issue so maybe there is a new tool that does that for you that I'm not aware of.

Shaneus

I don't advice anyone to update to this yet (at least not on the pstv). It has all the problems from the previous versions and the "filter off" option is bugged and force turn back on regardless of what you have in the settings.
Ah yeah, I figured that things were fixed properly for both Vita and PSTV but I definitely hadn't checked everything on PSTV was working properly.

Sucks, I'm sure it'll get fixed eventually though.

Just got my Henkaku on my Vita and it was just as painfree as I was hoping it would be.

Had a little trouble loading the initial download page on the Vita, but resetting and moving it closer to my wireless router fixed it.

Getting PSP games and PS1 games (the ones US PSN doesn't let you have like Spyro) was pretty much the only thing I cared about, so all I put on extra was the Offline Email installation of Henkaku and Adrenaline.

I can finally play Marvel Ultimate Alliance for the PSP without the annoying UMD disc spinning constantly (so loud on my old PSP) and with a decent analog stick (I can't stand going back to the PSP's stiff nub)!

I hear a trails in the sky fc evo patch is ready or nealry ready. would this work on my chinese R3 copy of the game? I boguth the CE in Singapore.

Returners

Is there any way to get HENKaku in 3.65?

I saw a terrible English translated page on how to do it via a Windows executable. Is it too good to be true?

EDIT: more googling makes it seem too good to be true indeed.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Is there any way to get HENKaku in 3.65?

I saw a terrible English translated page on how to do it via a Windows executable. Is it too good to be true?

EDIT: more googling makes it seem too good to be true indeed.

Damn it, I'm late to this. My Vita is on 3.65. I guess I'll wait when 3.65 is supported.

Guys, seriously. Let it go. Yifan Lu, the main guy behind HENkaku, has said that cracking 3.60 was the work of a lifetime. There's no one willing to devote as much time as effort to cracking 3.65 or any other firmware when 3.60 is already cracked, and higher firmwares don't offer absolutely anything new.

I have a Vita that have been in a drawer for four years, ver.2.61. I would like to use to play to play emulators and maybe some psp . I'm afraid that if I connect to a wifi it may update, can't find how to disable automatic updates.

Anything I needed to know before jumping into trying to install henkaku? Is it hard to get it running emulators? I'm a tech illiterate.

stryke

I have a Vita that have been in a drawer for four years, ver.2.61. I would like to use to play to play emulators and maybe some psp . I'm afraid that if I connect to a wifi it may update, can't find how to disable automatic updates.

Anything I needed to know before jumping into trying to install henkaku? Is it hard to get it running emulators? I'm a tech illiterate.

There's a very easy way of upgrading to 3.60 via WiFi where all you need to do is change the DNS server.

Details on the henkaku website. I'd link but on mobile.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Here. Leave the DNS settings afterwards so it doesn't update automatically.

Upgrading to 3.60
Since only firmware 3.60 is supported, you can upgrade any Vita on a lower firmware version to 3.60 with these instructions. Be careful not to update to the latest version through official means or you will not be able to use HENkaku!

Simple Instructions
Set your DNS to 212.47.229.76 and choose to update from Wi-Fi. Proceed only if the message says “A new version of the system software is available. Firmware 3.60 (変革 Compatible)”. That’s it!

Detailed Instructions
Open the Settings app
Select “Network”
Select “Wi-Fi Settings”
If you are not connected to the internet, do so now. Select your current connection (there should be a green dot to the left).
Select “Advanced Settings”
Under “DNS Settings” choose “Manual”
Under “Primary DNS” set it to 212.47.229.76
Leave “Secondary DNS” blank. Make sure “Proxy Server” is set to “Do Not Use”. Press OK.
Back out to the main settings screen. Select “System Update” and then “Update Using Wi-Fi.”
If you get an error saying your system is up to date, that means either your Vita is on 3.60 already or your Vita is > 3.60 and is not supported by HENkaku
Otherwise you will see a pop-up saying there is a new update. Make sure the message says “3.60 (変革 Compatible)”! If the message does not say that, do not proceed and try to repeat these steps to see if you missed something.
After ensuring you are updating to “3.60 (変革 Compatible)”, proceed with the steps on screen to update.
After updating to 3.60, you can follow steps 1-5 again and then set “DNS Settings” back to “Automatic” to restore your DNS settings.

swit

There is a second chance to get a MicroSD adatper for your Vita 3G. Legit stuff since it's from Yifan Lu, the guy behind HENkaku. Here's IndieGoGo page from where you can back Yifan and get an adapter:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ps-vita-3g-to-microsd-card-adapter#/

I'm wondering how much loading times in Wipeout 2048 will decrease with microSDXC 128GB (read up to 80MB/s, no idea about average speed) considering Vita's memory sticks are pos when it comes to data reading (6-8MB/s)

edit: second 400 units batch sold. According to Yifan Lu there won't be more adapters available from him but the design will be open source, so maybe someone else will manufacture more units at some point.

Joey Ravn

Banned
This is kinda old news, but in case you didn't know, some asshole decided to leak a pretty old build of the HENkaku Enso beta.

Needless to say, you shouldn't install it: that build is old and there's absolutely nothing to gain from installing it. Besides, the official release is barely more than a month away. Just wait and your patience will bare its fruits :)

Flunkie

Banned
Question - if I were to get a Japanese Vita - one of the cool colors - and it is guaranteed 3.60, if I install HENKaku, swap the X/O buttons on the OS, then update it to 3.65 or whatever the latest version is so I can still access PSN and still do all the online stuff as normal... would I lose the X/O button hack? Basically all I care about.

I haven't been keeping track of this at all for the last year or so, so let me get this clear.

It's now possible to play our own rips of PSX and PSP games on henkaku?? Those were the only things I wanted specifically for the games that never got released on PSN.

wetalo

It's now possible to play our own rips of PSX and PSP games on henkaku?? Those were the only things I wanted specifically for the games that never got released on PSN.

Yep! Works just like if you have a CFW PSP. There's also mods for PSP games to make use of the second analogue stick, I was using it for Vice City Stories the other day. :)

Top Bottom