• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve wanted to hire the entire Kerbal Space Program dev team 4-6 months ago

Durante

The impression of Valve on this forum never ceases to amaze me. They're a significant (positive) contributor to the industry. I understand the desire for more games from them, considering the quality of their previous work, but the hyperbole and shitposting is getting ridiculous.
It makes sense though.

GAF (viewed as a collective, statistically) wants one thing above all else: high-budget story-driven traditional single player games.

And that's the one thing Valve hasn't made in a while. It's unforgivable really.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You could say that Valve is the Star Citizen of game developers.

"They have too much money; they're never going to finish the game."
"They have too much money; they're never going to release another AAA game."

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It makes sense though.

GAF (viewed as a collective, statistically) wants one thing above all else: high-budget story-driven traditional single player games.

And that's the one thing Valve hasn't made in a while. It's unforgivable really.

Huh. That does make sense.

Interfectum

It makes sense though.

If Valve released a proper Team Fortress 3 or Left 4 Dead 3 I think you'd see as much excitement as a Portal 3. (obv half life on another level)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If Valve released a proper Team Fortress 3 or Left 4 Dead 3 I think you'd see as much excitement as a Portal 3. (obv half life on another level)

I'm not so sure a sequel announcement of any kind would actually go down all that well. Between CS:GO PS360 literally never being updated, it never releasing on EU PSN stores, and Gabe's relatively recent comments about certification processes being a "frustrating" barrier to post-release support, I get the distinct impression that Valve has transitioned to being a PC-exclusive developer, and its fans on the console side would understandably feel like second-class citizens if this were reflected in the announcement of, say, Half-Life 3.

prudislav

Would explain why Kerbal hasn't been updated since Dec. But wasn't the team treated like shit by the company?

I am pretty sure i read something about working on some big update and expansion ... will try to find it
EDIT: found it http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/157802-ksp-making-history/&page=1

XApZ0FR.png

We are thrilled and proud to announce Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion. This content filled expansion to the base game will include Mission Builder and History Pack.

Mission Builder is an exciting new feature that puts the process of creating and editing missions in your hands. We wanted to give you the tools to get the sense of being part of a space program's Mission Design Division by tailoring your own missions and narratives in a friendly and intuitive interface. Once created, you will be able to easily share your missions with the wider community.

But that is not all, Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion will include loads of additional content to enjoy. This includes History Pack, which are pre-made missions for you to play immediately. You will have the opportunity to re-live historical missions from humankind's own space history, all with that unique Kerbal Space Program twist! The pack will include a new set of parts and a new astronaut suit for your brave heroes. Imagine walking in the boots of the astronauts who witnessed the majesty of outer space for the first time or landed on other celestial bodies as the first of their kind.

A job at Valve feels more like a golden parachute than an actual job.

You mean I don't have to work for peanuts for a no name developer and I can get paid more to look busy and inflate my portfolio at Valve? Sign me up.

PC only games are not games, especially if they are multiplayer only. Also devs do exclusives because they care about pushing hardwares.

This thread already delivered.

Zia

So, did they scoop them all up or not? The Valve employee section hasn't been updated in awhile and it's not as if Squad would say anything. Don't follow KSP closely enough to know if the individual devs have any kind of Twitter presence.

dr_rus

It makes sense though.

Hell, I'll take any single player game from Valve, high budget or no.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
That's nice! The KSP devs seemed talented so it's good to hear that they were hired by a company that pays well and isn't hell to work at.

Man, this is something I had really wished Valve would have done. When you consider their questionable wage practices and the games lack of Workshop support, Kerbal would have been in a much better place with the backing of a company like Valve behind it.

wildfire

Banned
Well considering what they did with Portal I'm hoping they tapped this team for a new franchise. I've always been interested in Kerbal but I can't imagine Valve is strictly going for a more polished version of it.

prudislav

apparently its confirmed now https://www.pcgamesn.com/kerbal-space-program/valve-hire-kerbal-space-program-team
," Lundeen tells me. ”I guess some members of that team are now at Valve, how many I don't know. I imagine KSP remains the IP and property of Squad, in Mexico City. So the devs, not a mod-team."

We also emailed Valve for comment, and a representative responded confirming the hire. ”Yes, they joined a little while ago and we will have more news about what they are doing soon," explains the Valve spokesperson.

Lets hope the KSP expansion is not cancelled

Zia

We also emailed Valve for comment, and a representative responded confirming the hire. “Yes, they joined a little while ago and we will have more news about what they are doing soon,” explains the Valve spokesperson.

Huh. Interesting statement considering we don't know what most of Valve is working on right now.

Maybe they're working on one of the VR games. Jeep Barnett said he hopes the one he's working comes out this year, so maybe an announcement is due "soon".

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
The impression of Valve on this forum never ceases to amaze me. They're a significant positive contributor to the industry.

I understand the desire for more games from them, considering the quality of their previous work, but the hyperbole and shitposting is getting ridiculous.

Didn't you know? You get way more cooler internet points if you make edgy dank meme jokes for the lulz that cater to popular opinions.

Because everyone knows that Valve is the absolute shittiest non game-making game company in the history of the interwebs (FACT: they despise transgenders, and did you know they aren't your friend?) it really would be silly to consider that maybe some of the members were interested in the idea of working for Valve and are able to make their own decisions regardless of what the trendy thing to hate on Valve for is that week.

Sarcasm aside, if this is what they wanted good for them! I'm sure it will open more opportunities for them to work on different things and get some good experience. Kerbal is an example of an Early Access success story and they even have an "Overwhelmingly Positive" rating on Steam.

Gattsu25

Banned
Good on valve for reaching out to that team. Their parent company treated them like dirt and they deserved much much better.

dr_rus

VR doesn't deserve any good exclusive single player games

It deserves to have all games which make sense for VR but I'm strongly against the industry spending resources on VR exclusives. We already have half the industry working on GaaS crap like Destiny and Overwatch, it would truly be a sad day if the other half will go VR exclusive.

Statement by Squad: http://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space...-says-its-still-independent-and-hard-at-work/

"There was news today that former KSP developers have joined Valve. We want to clarify that Squad is not joining Valve, and we continue to be an independent studio with the core KSP team remaining at Squad, hard at work on the improved KSP for consoles port, Update 1.3 and the Making History Expansion. The KSP community shouldn't be concerned about this news having any impact on the game," the studio said.

"Regarding the developers joining Valve, it is important to note that we have had several people working on our team over the years, and it is common among development studios for team members to come and go. If some of them joined Valve, it is on their own behalf and we wish them good luck and success in their current and future endeavors. So do not worry, everything continues normally with KSP."

In an email, Squad clarified that no current KSP developers had left the studio to move to Valve. "These people departed Squad prior to joining Valve," a rep said. "We do not know who they are exactly or how many there are, either."

Didn't realize gaf was so salty and bitter with valve

It has been like this for a while now.

Top Bottom