• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Board Games Thread: Async Multiplatform Meeples

Daigoro

so yeah, GW sale on steam today. good time to pick up BB Chaos edition if anyone is interested.

played a few more games of the Android version of Blood Bowl. runs pretty damn smooth.

I went online to check it out, but matchmaking appears to be useless for the most part. probably better to try to set something up in the lobby with someone. looks like there is no async multiplayer from what I can tell actually, just live. too bad.

offline is pretty sweet though. good campaign mode where your characters can gain stats/abilities and you can buy new players. just sucks when one of your beloved characters dies! keep those apothecaries handy!

ill try to get into some multiplayer this weekend and see how it works out.

looks like BB2 is right around the corner as well...

This seems like the right thread for this:

I have Talisman on Steam, and all of Games Workshops stuff is on sale for today. I don't wanna spend 40 bucks on the season pass for everything, so what stuff do i absolutely need to have on top of the base game that is currently out for the digital version?

holy shit. season pass? that game is fucking expensive! kind of crazy... I haven't played the full version, only the prologue. how is the game? I heard multiplayer is mostly private games? sounds kind of crappy. no async either, but I guess its not the best kind of game for that. im somewhat interested, but turned off by what ive read about multi, and that excessive season pass shit.

looks like there are 2 expansions and a bunch of character packs. not sure what's essential or not. try asking on steam forums I guess.

Daigoro

Playing Star Realms online, trying to attack my opponent and it's telling me I must attack outpost first. Opponent has battle station up, but I cannot attack it. This is happening in 2 games simultaneouslyright now. What am I missing?

Edit:had to skip attack one turn for each player but the next turn I was allowed to attack the battle station... glitch or am I missing a rule here?

Daigoro

Hmm this has happens about five times in a row now. They play a base in their turn, my turn comes and I am unable to attack them or their base until my next turn. Checked the tutorial and it doesn't say shit about this. Multiple base types as well,nothing on the cards about not being able to attack.

And I just got my first loss...

Phinor

Hmm this has happens about five times in a row now. They play a base in their turn, my turn comes and I am unable to attack them or their base until my next turn. Checked the tutorial and it doesn't say shit about this. Multiple base types as well,nothing on the cards about not being able to attack.

And I just got my first loss...

Just a guess but did you have enough attack to destroy the station? If you don't, you can't attack it, but if it's an outpost, you have to attack it first before attacking the enemy player. But if you don't have enough attack to destroy the outpost, you can't attack it either.

I've played around 20 matches of the Android version and never had the issue you mentioned.

Brakara

Outposts and starbases can only be attacked if you have enough power to destroy them. And outposts must be destroyed before you can attack anything else (bases/player).

Daigoro

Just a guess but did you have enough attack to destroy the station? If you don't, you can't attack it, but if it's an outpost, you have to attack it first before attacking the enemy player. But if you don't have enough attack to destroy the outpost, you can't attack it either.

I've played around 20 matches of the Android version and never had the issue you mentioned.
That's gotta be it,thanks. I'd been up for about 24hrs and was probably not thinking so cleary. Makes sense this morning though! Ty!
Outposts and starbases can only be attacked if you have enough power to destroy them. And outposts must be destroyed before you can attack anything else (bases/player).
Got it! thanks.

Brakara

I actually have had them on my HDD for a long time and just remembered it since it's been awhile last I checked them out. When I got into the beta I went to their blog and just downloaded all the images manually, which was a pain in the ass but hopefully some others can get some use of them too now.

Btw, this is my favorite I think:

7fuuWCX.png

Can't go wrong with a whale spaceship. :)

Daigoro

Are all of those cards included in the digital version? I'm wondering how the community deck is composed.

Also, everyone has the same starting deck, correct?

Oh man Brakara! Haha.

I had you down to 2hp when I had like 30... Then you hit me with two HUGE 20+ attacks and I had a did turn in between. Haha.

Amazing comeback win! Or perhaps you had it planned all along!

Brakara

Are all of those cards included in the digital version? I'm wondering how the community deck is composed.

Also, everyone has the same starting deck, correct?

Those are the cards in the digital version + the scout, viper and explorer. And, yeah, everybody starts with 8 scouts and 2 vipers, and the person who begins only draws 3 cards first turn.

I'm not sure what you mean by the community deck though.

Oh man Brakara! Haha.

I had you down to 2hp when I had like 30... Then you hit me with two HUGE 20+ attacks and I had a did turn in between. Haha.

Amazing comeback win! Or perhaps you had it planned all along!

Haha far from it. But that was a crazy end to the game, and I thought for sure you'd win before my second-to-last turn. But I got a really good draw, and I also scrapped like hell to draw extra cards and have you discards cards, which helped out in the end.

Brakara

Ah, right. That's the trade row. So, all the cards from my list (80) are shuffled and called the trade deck and when the game starts 5 cards are taken from the top and put into the trade row. Then, every time a card is bought by a player, it is replaced from the top of the trade deck. This is the layout:

Also, note that I said there's initially 80 cards in the trade deck. This means that some of the cards are more than 1-ofs since there's 46 different cards. Unfortunately, I don't know how many there are of each, but in general the lower value ones are more than 1-of, while the higher value ones are just 1-of.

Btw, you can find the rules for the physical game here (which also applies to the digital version):

http://starrealms.com/learn-to-play/

PittaGAF

Played a bit (ok...a lot) the Mac version of Star Realms.

Absolutely fantastic, addressing all my complaints about Ascension (which is an outstanding game of course).

The wait for the iOS version is damn too hard now.

Daigoro

Cool, thanks for the post Brakara. Still haven't seen a few of those cards come out yet, like the whale.

Took me a few games but I finally realized that not only can you view all of the card in you discard deck and hand, but you can do the same for your opponent as well! That sure makes playing multiple games at once a lot more manageable.

I've got 2 wins and 2 losses so far. In the middle of 3 other games right now. I'm enjoying it.

Karkador

Banned
Played a bit (ok...a lot) the Mac version of Star Realms.

Absolutely fantastic, addressing all my complaints about Ascension (which is an outstanding game of course).

The wait for the iOS version is damn too hard now.

The Mac version is out?? Is the PC version?

Edit:should have scrolled up

Bought Star Realms on PC faster than you could say "FUCKIN' STAR REALMS IS UP ON PC BUY THAT SHIT!". Utterly fantastic game. Still waiting on the iOS version but this will hold me over nicely. Campaign has been surprisingly fun so far. Star Realms is a knockout in just about every way.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Is Star Realms on steam?

Yes, I'm still alive. Barely. Sorry for dropping out everywhere, I've been in treatment and under constant medication for all of 2014 and no end in sight. Don't worry, not dying.

Karkador

Banned
Any news on when or if Race for the Galaxy will be coming to Android/Apple/Steam in the near future?

I haven't heard anything about Race for the Galaxy yet, but you have two options - play Race for the Galaxy on BoardGameArena, or play the very similar San Juan on iOS.

I haven't heard anything about Race for the Galaxy yet, but you have two options - play Race for the Galaxy on BoardGameArena, or play the very similar San Juan on iOS.
San Juan is on Android now too.
If you can find Keldon's AI version of RFTG for windows you will have a really good single player challenge. I can't remember if that had to disappear because of Goko.

Well, what If decide to make one myself? How do I avoid getting sued by Hasbro? Change the name, obviously, but what else would I need to change? Do I need to change the actual rules of the game in any way? Most clones seem to be pretty faithful to the original, so I'm not sure where a clone crosses the line and becomes a copy.

Sorry if this is too off-topic. Would anyone even be interested in an A&A game?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Well, what If decide to make one myself? How do I avoid getting sued by Hasbro? Change the name, obviously, but what else would I need to change? Do I need to change the actual rules of the game in any way? Most clones seem to be pretty faithful to the original, so I'm not sure where a clone crosses the line and becomes a copy.

There's an official Risk app, for what it's worth.

Karkador

Banned

For what it's worth, board game IP is such that you can only copyright artwork and written rules (of course, you can't use any trademarked names, either). So as long as you aren't using someone's artwork (or graphic design), and the rules of the game are not a direct copy of the original written rules, you should be okay.

There's an official Risk app, for what it's worth.
Yeah, Risk is different though. Axis & Allies is kinda like "Risk for nerds."

For what it's worth, board game IP is such that you can only copyright artwork and written rules (of course, you can't use any trademarked names, either). So as long as you aren't using someone's artwork (or graphic design), and the rules of the game are not a direct copy of the original written rules, you should be okay.
lol "Artwork." If a user can look at a unit and say, "Must be a tank, because on the artillery, the gun kinda points up," then I'll give myself a firm pat on the back. :p

So the rules and mechanics can all be the same? I basically can't plagiarize their description of the ruleset? And it's okay to refer to my subs as subs, because it's not a trademarked term?

Karkador

Banned
lol "Artwork." If a user can look at a unit and say, "Must be a tank, because on the artillery, the gun kinda points up," then I'll give myself a firm pat on the back. :p

So the rules and mechanics can all be the same? I basically can't plagiarize their description of the ruleset? And it's okay to refer to my subs as subs, because it's not a trademarked term?

Hey man, art is valuable and important!

Anyhow, you can get a lot more info by reading this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/493249/mythbusting-game-design-and-copyright-trademarks-a

Grifter

Been playing RL Ascension RU but sticking to RoV on iOS. Not sure if it's possible to end an RoV game without someone furious. Don't even want to think about going thru the effort of shuffling and setting up only for several energies to end up under a 2 cost card at the outset and the game snowballing from there, or having to sit thru someone playing one of those cards that clears the entire board.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Been playing RL Ascension RU but sticking to RoV on iOS. Not sure if it's possible to end an RoV game without someone furious. Don't even want to think about going thru the effort of shuffling and setting up only for several energies to end up under a 2 cost card at the outset and the game snowballing from there, or having to sit thru someone playing one of those cards that clears the entire board.

Haha good point. It's almost like the energy mechanic is only a decent fit for digital. You could say this about Ascension generally but yeah I hadn't even thought about how brutal some of those turns would be on tabletop.

Been playing Lords of Waterdeep on my iPhone against the easy AI and finally won my first game. At the moment, I have zero grasp of good strategies. I'm not even sure what I did to win.

Been playing Lords of Waterdeep on my iPhone against the easy AI and finally won my first game. At the moment, I have zero grasp of good strategies. I'm not even sure what I did to win.
Plenty of opportunity to play against people here. I usually try to get some buildings out that help my Lord card in some way. (Needing wizards or clerics without any extra spaces make it hard). Also I usually leave completing the bigger quests until later in the game. Some rewards feed into other quests. But it can depend on getting the right opportunities at the right time.

Re Manhattan Project
There's some opinions on the game from BGG in the comments. No async. http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/32917/app-news-manhattan-project-underway-ios-epigo-goes

Plenty of opportunity to play against people here. I usually try to get some buildings out that help my Lord card in some way. (Needing wizards or clerics without any extra spaces make it hard). Also I usually leave completing the bigger quests until later in the game. Some rewards feed into other quests. But it can depend on getting the right opportunities at the right time.
Been playing on the subway so far where it's easy for me to bang out a game against the AI during my commute.

I've been trying to just bang out my quests as they come. I'll try to be more strategic. Good call on the buildings, I usually try to build a couple but I haven't been particularly choosy in what I build.

Top Bottom