• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Asylum Sequel Announced

MMaRsu

Banned
What's wrong with some of you people? You hate sequels to good games? I'd rather have an early announcement, and seeing it next year then waiting 3 years for something if they can make it good enough.. I don't care that they are using Joker again, he was fucking awesome in the first game. And then you're gonna have Two Face and Pinguin too? Who knows, maybe even fucking Freeze?

Some of you cats are down right crazy for not wanting a good early sequel. Have faith.

Shaheed79 said:
Let me explain something to you guys. The Joker is the reason Batman still does what he does. He would have retired long ago if it wasn't for Joker and he knows that if he quits it's like the Joker saying "Toooldja so Ba-ts-zz!".

Gordon: Where the hell is Batman?
Joker: He's at home..... WASHING his TIGHTZ! HAAAAAAAAA-HA-Ha-ha-hahahahuhuhaaa

The real reason they are using him again is because the Joker sells way more Batman games than any of his contemporaries.

And this too.. HELL YES. TDK was so much better just because Joker was in it, and ofcourse because Ledger did it so perfectly in my opinion. Sure Begins was fucking awesome as well, but TDK was just an amazing step up from that.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Shake Appeal said:
I just don't see what there is to complain about given they haven't announced a release date or even a likely timeframe for release (I would expect it in June 2011, to be honest). And even if it did turn out to be a year turnaround (doubtful), would that matter if the game is great? I had faith last time out, and Rocksteady rewarded it. I see no reason to lose faith on the basis of an (awesome) teaser.

It's like L4D2 again... although no one complains about L4D2's rapid release anymore, because, y'know, it turned out really fucken good.

L4D's rapid release is stlll talked about even now, even though the game turns out well. More of a "what if they took more time to truly flesh this out even more..." You honestly think they would put out a teaser in December of 2009 for a game that won't hit until June 2011? What's the point of spending the money to announce it at the VGAs then? Get people hyped only to say "Oh, June 2011"? No, it's coming in 2010.

If it turns out good, that's good. Of course, but until then, people will be wary if they had time to correct the problems of the first game and offer more over the first with such a quick turnaround.

You guys really have no patience when it comes to video games, do you? A good game comes out and you demand a sequel the next week after you finish it. "MORE NAO!" Come on. Sequels are cool and all but give these people time to properly cook them.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Prine said:
We now know of your uses, and they are few. Please never post about gaming improvements ever again.

Kid actually brought up Robin. Robin.

Please excuse my ignorance, but why do people seem to hate Robin so much?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
What a coincidence, I finally got around to finishing this today. Such an awesome game. Maaaaaaaaaaaayyybe too soon for a sequel but if they make it as fresh and satisfying and well crafted as the original then I won't complain much.

Kintaro said:
L4D's rapid release is stlll talked about even now, even though the game turns out well. More of a "what if they took more time to truly flesh this out even more..." You honestly think they would put out a teaser in December of 2009 for a game that won't hit until June 2011? What's the point of spending the money to announce it at the VGAs then? Get people hyped only to say "Oh, June 2011"? No, it's coming in 2010.

If it turns out good, that's good. Of course, but until then, people will be wary if they had time to correct the problems of the first game and offer more over the first with such a quick turnaround.

You guys really have no patience when it comes to video games, do you? A good game comes out and you demand a sequel the next week after you finish it. "MORE NAO!" Come on. Sequels are cool and all but give these people time to properly cook them.
I like how we're the ones with no patience when you refuse to wait for a release date.

Kintaro said:

Agree w/ this post!

Kintaro said:
L4D's rapid release is stlll talked about even now, even though the game turns out well. More of a "what if they took more time to truly flesh this out even more..."

I am honestly staggered by anyone who thinks that L4D2 is nothing less than a massive triumph. Of course it has its problems, and yes, there are things that another year of development may have made even more splendid... but it's still my game of the year, ahead of titles that were in development far longer. I really can't see what they could or would have added or changed (aside from a few teething bugs) that wouldn't have ended up making it worth the price of two games.

It's just typical GAF, assessing these things on everything but their actual merit as pieces of entertainment. If Arkham Asylum 2 is good, that's all that matters, not how long it took, or could have taken, or any other hypothetical metric you care to apply.

Tobor

Combichristoffersen said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but why do people seem to hate Robin so much?

He was a character designed specifically to tone down Batman and help small children relate to the comic book. He's no longer needed.

Zenith

Banned
I am honestly staggered by anyone who thinks that L4D2 is nothing less than a massive triumph. Of course it has its problems, and yes, there are things that another year of development may have made even more splendid...

I found L4D2 incredibly boring. How can you make zombie hordes boring?

demosthenes said:
If they go the route of Cataclysm and No Man's Land there is another batgirl to use ;)

Oh, I really hope that they don't, but I suspect that you're on the right track. The city divided into the 5 districts etc makes perfect game-narrative sense, but I hope they don't follow the storyline, or the version of Batman that we had there. Also, there's a serious lack of the World's Greatest Detective in that storyline, and that's really what I want from my Batman.

whatevermort said:
Oh, I really hope that they don't, but I suspect that you're on the right track. The city divided into the 5 districts etc makes perfect game-narrative sense, but I hope they don't follow the storyline, or the version of Batman that we had there. Also, there's a serious lack of the World's Greatest Detective in that storyline, and that's really what I want from my Batman.

Nobody says it has to be exactly like it but it definitely is giving that vibe off. I was just saying how there has been more than one batgirl really.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
esbern said:
too soon? do you fucktards hate video games or something?

classy.

smh

cjelly said:
So what happened with Eidos/Square-Enix?

WBI want all the money ( they own Batman IP anyway )

Shake Appeal said:
Cassandra Cain is by far my favourite Batgirl, but I'm not sure she would fit this take on the universe (which is broadly a muscly/UE3 take on TAS) very well.

I think she will fit , C.Cain ( well before she speaks too much anyway ) was damn too dark and the closest batgirl we can get to Batman, if not at least they should give us some hot Cain skin :)

the universe (which is broadly a muscly/UE3 take on TAS) very well
for me B:AA universe was more like a take on/ inspired by The Dark Knight Returns and Burton's Batmans and the last year comics than TAS ( not a big fan of the cartoons ).

TheFallen

Shake Appeal said:
It's just typical GAF, assessing these things on everything but their actual merit as pieces of entertainment. If Arkham Asylum 2 is good, that's all that matters, not how long it took, or could have taken, or any other hypothetical metric you care to apply.
There's really no point in arguing with anyone whining about sequels being so soon. Gamers have no concept of how development on titles actually work. If the pre-release threads of Uncharted 2 were any indication and the more recent Dead Space thread, there's always GAF backlash about something. For those two, it was the inclusion of co-op and multiplayer. Look at all the crow served to them when UC2 came out. Doesn't even matter that Rocksteady started working on this title before Summer 09 (when B:AA was actually completed).

It should be quite clear that Rocksteady is a capable developer, so how about you guys wait on getting your panties in a bunch until you actually know the release date and what has changed in the game? It's laughable that a CG trailer for a game without a name or release can stir up so much.

Tobor said:
He was a character designed specifically to tone down Batman and help small children relate to the comic book. He's no longer needed.

That was the original purpose of the character but the character has evolved quite a bit since then. Too many hate robin because of thinking of the old tv and cartoon shows. Tim Drake and hell even the current damian is a great addition to the bat universe

Tobor

gketter said:
That was the original purpose of the character but the character has evolved quite a bit since then. Too many hate robin because of thinking of the old tv and cartoon shows. Tim Drake and hell even the current damian is a great addition to the bat universe

Luckily Nolan agrees with me. Hopefully Rocksteady does as well.

hey, any of you guys notice twoface in the uncle sam pictures? hopefully joker's a minor character. too bad eidos doesn't go on GAF alot more, they'd have alot of ideas to pull.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
TheFallen said:
There's really no point in arguing with anyone whining about sequels being so soon. Gamers have no concept of how development on titles actually work. If the pre-release threads of Uncharted 2 were any indication and the more recent Dead Space thread, there's always GAF backlash about something. For those two, it was the inclusion of co-op and multiplayer. Look at all the crow served to them when UC2 came out. Doesn't even matter that Rocksteady started working on this title before Summer 09 (when B:AA was actually completed).

It should be quite clear that Rocksteady is a capable developer, so how about you guys wait on getting your panties in a bunch until you actually know the release date and what has changed in the game? It's laughable that a CG trailer for a game without a name or release can stir up so much.

To be fair, Uncharted 2 is the rare exception. Most games renowned for their single player campaign that shovesl a multiplayer aspect into it, usually end suffering because of it.

But yeah, whining because a game is coming "too soon" is one of the most ridiculous complaints from a fanbase that seems to revel in personal entitlements.

Peff

TheFallen said:

While I have full confidence in Rocksteady making another outstanding Batman game, it is true that they have a lot to live up to, and designing a city that feels as well paced and complex as Arkham in the first one should take time. It could perfectly end up being a 2011 title, but I can understand why some people are worried.

L-A-I-N

Neo Member
I am sure that the game will be good. I like that they used the Joker again he was great in the first. Without the Joker there would be no Batman. I do hope two face has a lot to with the second he is one of the others that I do like from Batman.

You know, I really get the sense Joker is out of commission in this one. Yes, he's in the trailer; but he's clearly in bad shape. The website gives a clear impression this will be Two Face's show.

Arkham was Announced about 15 months from release. If Rocksteady started work on this in June or July, I imagine it will release late next year or early 2011. There's nothing wrong with that, in my mind.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
FunnyBunny said:
You know, I really get the sense Joker is out of commission in this one. Yes, he's in the trailer; but he's clearly in bad shape. The website gives a clear impression this will be Two Face's show.

Arkham was Announced about 15 months from release. If Rocksteady started work on this in June or July, I imagine it will release late next year or early 2011. There's nothing wrong with that, in my mind.

Not to mention the first one was done quite some time before it was released. Which means they've probably been working on the sequel for some time now.

Tobor

FunnyBunny said:

I sure hope so. Post-Dark Knight, I would say having Two Face carry the game makes a lot of sense. His story and character are still fresh in the public's mind.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Peff said:
While I have full confidence in Rocksteady making another outstanding Batman game, it is true that they have a lot to live up to, and designing a city that feels as well paced and complex as Arkham in the first one should take time. It could perfectly end up being a 2011 title, but I can understand why some people are worried.

for me ( maybe some other ) I am not worried about Rocksteady's abilities to make a top quality game , but since WBI announced the sequel way too earlier than usual , I am worried that the publisher WBI forcing Rocksteady to make the sequel as fast as possible for summer next year ( before the big hits ) since Batman is WBI money makers now , so we might end with a short and rushed game like most games with yearly releases ( see how this strategy even damaged Insomniac's games quality for example ) , thats all.

Tobor said:

Anyone who thinks this clearly knows nothing about the Batman mythos and hasn't paid any attention in over 20 years. That has absolutely nothing to do with what Robin is about.

Tim Drake is one of the greatest comic book characters of all time, and is an extremely dark character.

And the comic have made the point time and time again that Robin is needed. Batman needs someone around to keep him sane. This is the entire point of the dynamic.

Tobor said:
Luckily Nolan agrees with me. Hopefully Rocksteady does as well.

It makes sense for The batman family to not be in the Nolan series of batman movies. I agree with that decision. But in the Rocksteady games the same reason doesn't apply. It IS taking place in TAS/Comic book world. Its got all the fantastical and lore already in place (through the villains shown already and the collectibles of the first game). I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing from Nightwing, more of Oracle, robin, batgirl, etc.

Tobor

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Anyone who thinks this clearly knows nothing about the Batman mythos and hasn't paid any attention in over 20 years. That has absolutely nothing to do with what Robin is about.

Tim Drake is one of the greatest comic book characters of all time, and is an extremely dark character.

And the comic have made the point time and time again that Robin is needed. Batman needs someone around to keep him sane. This is the entire point of the dynamic.

Oh, get over yourself. I know perfectly well who Tim Drake is, and good character or no, I prefer my Batman to be Robin-less.

gketter said:
It makes sense for The batman family to not be in the Nolan series of batman movies. I agree with that decision. But in the Rocksteady games the same reason doesn't apply. It IS taking place in TAS/Comic book world. Its got all the fantastical and lore already in place (through the villains shown already and the collectibles of the first game). I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing from Nightwing, more of Oracle, robin, batgirl, etc.

You may not think it applies, but there wasn't a single reference to Robin past or present in the entire game, and I really appreciated it. It's not a deal breaker for me, I'll buy the game regardless, it's just not my cup of Bat-tea.

Linkified

Harpuia said:
Is this coming out 2010? If so, can 2010 relax yet....there's too many games already. :lol

2010 could of relaxed this year, the only games that needed to relax was shooters, hell Bayonetta could of been released this year for instance. Publishers need to realise that theres summer time when they can release games but they always seem to ignore it.

hopefully we can get some more boss fights and a longer game in this one:D

i thought mark hamil said he wouldn't be doing the voice of the joker anymore

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I loved Arkham Asylum, but there were plenty of mechanical and design elements that were in need of refinement/expansion/deletion. As long as this sequel gives Rocksteady time to do that, I'm totally on board.

GCQuinton

Tobor said:
You may not think it applies, but there wasn't a single reference to Robin past or present in the entire game, and I really appreciated it. It's not a deal breaker for me, I'll buy the game regardless, it's just not my cup of Bat-tea.

Yeah there was, actually. Joker makes a reference about him needing a new sidekick (or something to that effect, I'm paraphrasing) early in the game. As a Bat-fan, my mind immediately went to thinking about Jason Todd, but it is there.

venom2124

whatevermort said:
Batman was undercover for a huge portion of No Man' Land, if I recall. NML presents plenty of situations for detective work. And Black Mask would be a main villain. What else could you want?:D

Tobor said:
I sure hope so. Post-Dark Knight, I would say having Two Face carry the game makes a lot of sense. His story and character are still fresh in the public's mind.

Plus they can save dev time by breaking the game into a light world and dark world, hinting at the duality in Two-Face's character!

if that actually happens, I would laugh

Sascha23

Banned
This teaser trailer totally made me giddy last night.

For those freaking out over the return of the Joker, keep in mind that the Joker runs the show, but that in no way implies he's the only villain.

It's fair to say, many of the villains and characters you love in that universe that didn't make the first game, will probably make their appearance here.

I think they're going to go even darker with this one. Sickly joker looks wonderfully morbid.

I'd like to see Nightwing or the new Batgirl make a cameo and help out. Batman may be the greatest detective, but he's only one man. Everyone needs help sometime.

V_Arnold

Kintaro said:

What are these "problems" in the game? Those that need such a huge work to get corrected. Cause I see zero. Yeah, they could design the endboss a bit better now, and add one or two more "layer" to the combat, but that does not mean they cant announce a game with a trailer for a game to be released like ~a year~ later, when they already had 5+ months to plan the sequel.

Do not take 1st party Sony games and FFXIII as an indicator of how much time a game should be taken to develop "properly". 15-18 months for a game with an estabilished theme and engine is more than enough.

cjdunn

So I wiki'd No Man's Land and it looks like a strong story of which to base a game.

Check out the roster:
- Jim Gordon
- Huntress
later donning the Batgirl costume
- Two-Face
- Poison Ivy (minor role)
- David Cain & Cassandra
- Lex Luthor (!)
- Lucious Fox
- Joker

So not a lot of recycling going, which is good for a sequel. And check out this:
Batman and James Gordon's officers work separately to reclaim Gotham, piece by piece, by beating and subduing the gang leaders and then marking the reclaimed territory with graffiti. Various subplots emerge through the battles.

Section by section, much like unlockable areas in AA!

Edit: Paul Dini was one of the writers. Also Nightwing and Robin were in the story too. Let the haters hate.

xaosslug

my only prob. with the game was that I couldn't grapple ANYWHERE with the grappling hook. That was bullshit, and needs to be addressed in the sequel, pls.

bridegur

xaosslug said:
my only prob. with the game was that I couldn't grapple ANYWHERE with the grappling hook. That was bullshit, and needs to be addressed in the sequel, pls.

I agree. All the gadgets felt a little too context sensitive.

I'm not a big comic reader of Batman so I don't know all his ins and outs and my Robin experience is from Tim Burton's and the Dark Knight Returns so yeah, take my opinion for what it is but I probably wouldn't mind an audio Robin and maybe see him once or twice. Batman could send him out in the beginning of the story to check on something you'll get to do later in the game. And Joker? He can keep on coming back for as long as he wants to. Him and Harley Quinn. Whoever voiced her in AA did an excellent job.

Again, I'll point out that Rocksteady's influences for Arkham Asylum were, according to the team itself, Zelda and Metroid more than Bioshock.

I really doubt we're going to see deathmatch or multiple characters added for the sequel.

RagnarokX

cjdunn said:
Edit: Paul Dini was one of the writers. Also Nightwing and Robin were in the story too. Let the haters hate.
Makes sense. Paul Dini created the character of Harley Quinn for Batman TAS, and according to wiki he introduced her to the comics in No Man's Land.

VGChampion said:
Him and Harley Quinn. Whoever voiced her in AA did an excellent job.

That'd be Arleen Sorkin; the original actress from the cartoon. That cartoon had so much talent.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
VGChampion said:
I'm not a big comic reader of Batman so I don't know all his ins and outs and my Robin experience is from Tim Burton's and the Dark Knight Returns so yeah, take my opinion for what it is but I probably wouldn't mind an audio Robin and maybe see him once or twice. Batman could send him out in the beginning of the story to check on something you'll get to do later in the game. And Joker? He can keep on coming back for as long as he wants to. Him and Harley Quinn. Whoever voiced her in AA did an excellent job.
That'd be Arleen Sorkin, who did the role in all the B:TAS stuff.

Zenith

Banned
Harpuia said:
Is this coming out 2010? If so, can 2010 relax yet....there's too many games already. :lol

oh, it's always like that. I remember the year GTA4 was meant to be released, I think it was actually a minority of the big-budget releases that made it for their original xmas dates.

Top Bottom