• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A SINGLE aspect kept me from loving this game"

Anth0ny

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
-Difficulty - Limited health capacity failed to scale to overpowered normal enemies and bosses with impossible patterns to memorize made it the most difficult game I played and made it difficult to get immersed in the world. If it had an easy mode.

There are no overpowered enemies in that game, friend. Even a 3 heart run wouldn't crack the top 20 hardest games I've played. Pick up some heart pieces if it's really giving you that much trouble.

Alx

Mirror's Edge : motion sickness.
I love the look of the game and the concept of continuous motion in an open environment. Unfortunately I couldn't get very far before getting motion sick. I used to overcome this in my younger times (I remember playing Doom2 or Half Life until I needed to lay down or I would throw up), but now I just can't.

Devil May Cry 1 : getting lost.
I liked the style, the fighting, etc, but I stopped playing as soon as I got stuck in front of a closed door without knowing what to do, and getting lost by the fixed cameras.

WallJump

Banned
Enslaved:

That ending was just awful. AWFUL. Really hurt my enjoyment of the game in the sense that I have almost no desire to replay it, just to get to that awful ending again.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I didnt have much issue with many of the puzzles it was mainly just the combat really. Heart capacity only seemed to be extended at boss fights, bosses could wipe out 3-4 hearts, enemies could chip off a lot and if youve lost your shield, well, the only strategy I could use against many of them was throwing Din's Fire consecutively.Quite sure I went shieldless (after some enemy ate it?) until the mirror one was given. They also never said how I could get to buying more items that seemed to cost more than the amount of rupees I could hold in a bag. Though it was my first Zelda.

Uh wait, how far did you go into the game without getting the Hylian shield?

Shtof

Ah, too bad you missed the Batman: Arkham and Assassin's Creed games, they're neat.

We can't jump in Assassin's Creed? Because I'm pretty sure we can. It's kind of automated, but it's okay. Same with Batman. Those games could've used a more... ehhr, organic jump mechanics.

Anyway, some of my favorite games this gen.

Sullichin

Dark Souls: The terrible frame rate in Blighttown. I know the PC version is supposed to be locked at 30FPS, but I'm hoping someone makes a trainer or something to unlock it if it is indeed true.
Locked 30FPS there would be quite an improvement!

Demon's Souls - The inability to opt out of PVP while online. The top of a long list of bizarre design choices in this game but the only one that I truly hated.

You can't get invaded in soul form. There's also the banish miracle but you have to be pretty close to use it I think.

Demon Soul's
- Health items being a consumable you had to farm. I could not just constantly retry a boss or difficult level because every time I did it I was consuming Grass that I'd have to go find more of. Fixing this was the best thing Dark Souls did.

Yeah I agree the farming is ridiculous and Dark Souls handles it much better.

I couldn't get into Metroid Prime 3 because I hated the controls. Should give it another shot.

coldfoot

Banned
Twisted Metal (PS3): Super complicated controls.

Kingdoms of Amalur: WOW art style

Bayonetta: Nonsensical art and plot.

Demon's Souls: It's only fun when I have a friend over watching or vice versa for some reason. I feel too alone when I play by myself.

MW2,MW3,Homefront: Russians/Koreans invading America is soo ridiculous that I can't take the game seriously.

Transformers War for Cybertron: Cybertron is a crappy setting.

KingK

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. I liked the art style, I liked the world, loved the music, was enjoying the level design but...Motion Controls. I could not get used to these fucking controls. It pulled me out of the game completely every time I had to stop and try to remember what sort of convoluted motion I had to make to do some menial task that could just be mapped to a normal controller.

Philia

Star Ocean 4. :(

Pros: Absolutely loved and adored SO2 so much. Mostly for the extra content that is known to be extensive in this series.
Improved and fantastic battle system.
The awesome crafting system.
Possibly the music.

Cons: Characters are definition of MOE. :\
Terrible plot.
Terrible PAs.
Terrible ideology.
Terrible VAs.
Terrible names.

EDIT: I just realized this thread is asking for A SINGLE aspect. Well in that case...
Silent Hill Shattered Memories disappointed me in the lack of combat.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. I liked the art style, I liked the world, loved the music, was enjoying the level design but...Motion Controls. I could not get used to these fucking controls. It pulled me out of the game completely every time I had to stop and try to remember what sort of convoluted motion I had to make to do some menial task that could just be mapped to a normal controller.

I got to Ghirahim and just gave up. Wasn't worth my time figuring out the mechanics of that controller.

Werewolf_The_Last_Warrior_cover.jpg

and this

Mmacbox.jpg

Had exactly the same problem. Seems silly to me.

Oppo

We can't jump in Assassin's Creed? Because I'm pretty sure we can. It's kind of automated, but it's okay. Same with Batman. Those games could've used a more... ehhr, organic jump mechanics.

You said you demand a "jump button" :) Just pointing out that it doesn't have to be that specific to work.

I actually really enjoyed GTA IV the first time I played it but I will never go back to play it again because I never want to deal with the cellphone calls and the relationship management, again.

You can disable the phone from receiving calls. Alternatively, you can accept the call and the date (female or bro date), then hang up and immediately call them back to call off the bro date and you wont lose any friend points or whatever the heck it's called.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
wNi16.jpg

A fun, sold, amusing grindhouse game without flair and stage lay out to make it worth it to try to do better on for multiple replays.

Prevented from being enjoyed not from what is lacking in the game, just from what is lacking from the start. In the game it takes a dozen to a hundred bullets to take any enemy down, all while hearing the "gun shot" sounds over and over again over the music while being frustrated of needing to dash and jump around while firing them.
Now this is prevented and opened to be loved by the last difficulty setting that makes one hit kills for bullets and barely any health for you, but only after a couple of play throughs that just aren't worth attempting.

I know I could have loved it from the start, but the game just wouldn't let me remember it that way.

Other games.

- Spider-Man 2 movie game. Oh sure great open city swinging around, but if it could just have a combat system I could actually enjoy and want to do sometimes I would love it.

- Mutant Mudds. Just by being longer.

- Bionic Commando (3D environment game), not being awful in story. Just.. gah, what a terrible story and character showing. Fun fighting, swinging/grappling, and enemies.

- Metroid Other M just on game play value alone, nothing about story. If I could just play with the analogue instead. When it comes to moving on Z-axis I do not like using the D-Pad at all. Again, just game play.

- Resident Evil: Outbreak. Being able to actually play with people online.

Hieberrr

LBP's floaty movements (jumping, turning, walking, etc...). Completely turned me off from the game, because I love my platformers to be controlled tightly like Mario and DK Country Returns.

Sophia

Uh wait, how far did you go into the game without getting the Hylian shield?

I don't think you actually *HAVE* to buy the Hylian Shield, but you're told why you should buy it before heading up Death Mountain. Going without it means you're either a pro or suicidal.

I find it hard to believe that he or she played the entire game without stopping in the shop at least once and seeing the shield for buy.

linko9

When I saw your first post the first games I thought of were Zelda, AC, and Batman. Now I'm sort of baffled that you love two of those franchises so much despite your complaint. To be clear, those games do not have a jump button, as I'm sure you know. So maybe you secretly hate jump buttons :D

Myriadis

Motorstorm series - rubber band AI

And Burnout 3. It is really bad in Burnout 3.

I don't think you actually *HAVE* to buy the Hylian Shield, but you're told why you should buy it before heading up Death Mountain. Going without it means you're either a pro or suicidal.

I find it hard to believe that he or she played the entire game without stopping in the shop at least once and seeing the shield for buy.

It's actually not really hard. If you just keep running, you normally lose around 2 hearts, and given that you already have 4 or 5 hearts at this point it is easy to survive this.

Sullichin

I know but intenionally gimping myself to avoid a really poor design choice isn't really the best work-around.

Understood. I dislike the health penalty in soul form and really hate the need to farm consumable items, but I like getting invaded. The way I see it, I'm usually in soul form anyway and I'll go to body form if I want to get invaded, not the other way around.

Anth0ny

Dark Souls: The terrible frame rate in Blighttown. I know the PC version is supposed to be locked at 30FPS, but I'm hoping someone makes a trainer or something to unlock it if it is indeed true.

pfft, coping with the shitty frame rate is part of the challenge! ;)

Thrakier

Little Big Planet: Floaty Controls (though I did play them quite a lot, but because of the controls I couldn't find any enjoyment in the long run)

Jak and Daxter HD: Fucked up widescreen

Never got past this point. I actually don't understand how it's possible. He just annihilates me completely.

A lot of you people need to learn to grind, no offense. This is a Japanese SRPJ. The truly ruthless fight is against Elmdore on the roof of Riovanes Castle because it's entirely dependent on luck, and the odds are stacked heavily against you. Lose condition is the death of a moronic defenseless NPC who actively seeks combat with one of the most powerful enemies in the game. It usually takes no more than one turn to lose that fight, and you probably won't even come into contact with the enemy.

injurai

Banned
FF12

Combat, and not in the sense that it even deviated. I though it was an initially strong concept but unlike a turn based system that is fairly predictable I found my self waiting on a spell to cast that I had planned 5 seconds ago. I just lose the sense of preparation, I do love the free roam dodge aspect though.

GTA4

The fucking cover and aim system is the most horrifically fucked thing I have ever seen. Still loved to drive the cars and shit though, fun as hell. Just couldn't stand following the story.

Dylan

A lot of you people need to learn to grind, no offense.

Granted, but every single battle up to this point is perfectly winnable using game strategies and not grinding. So it isn't like anyone should expect to run into an insurmountable challenge immediately following a save point hours into the game. Broken!

alf717

Saga Frontier 2.

I got stuck at the end of both characters final bosses but was able to beat one. Gustav's battle was the worst but I did complete it. The battle I believe has to be played one way and only that way. If you get creative you get annihilated. I forget the other guy but I think it had something to do with an egg. Never understood how to beef up my characters in that game either.

Valnen

Titan Quest.

When you hit one of the number keys for a skill on you action bar, the skill doesn't activate. Instead, it changes the mouse pointer to a stupid target reticle and you have to click to activate the ability.

Completely horrible. Ruins the entire game for me, made me want a refund.

Skyrim
The combat....

Batman
The combat...

Civ V
Absolutely love the game...hate how dang long it takes and that the dual monitor support is next to non existent call me lazy but when my mouse goes over onto the other screen instead of moving the camera....not ok.

Witcher 2
tone down the maturity level a little..its a bit much...

Battlefield 3
Love this game to and play it a lot but I could really go without the excessive cussing in multiplayer....is it really that hard to have a content filter for language?

I have to second the Dark Souls Blighttown as well...every time I think about restarting the game I remember that....

Dragon Age: Origins
The combat

injurai

Banned
Titan Quest.

When you hit one of the number keys for a skill on you action bar, the skill doesn't activate. Instead, it changes the mouse pointer to a stupid target reticle and you have to click to activate the ability.

Completely horrible. Ruins the entire game for me, made me want a refund.

Got the game on sale on steam and haven't played it. But isn't that exactly how Diablo 2 worked? the F keys changed your skills and then you used them by clicking?

Top Bottom