• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Coldsnap said:
Any tips for 3-1? The tip on using polearms for 2-1 helped me alot!

The only serious threat to your health will be the Chthulu/Squid Face Guards. They can stun you and one hit kill you.
Do you have the thieves ring? If so, be sure to use it because it's a huge help against those guys. Try to keep your distance or hid in a cell and wait for them to turn their back. When they're turned around, you should have time to run in for a backstab or enough slashes to kill him before he can attack you. Ranged attacks work pretty well, too.

They're intimidating and can wreck you if you mess up, but they're not that bad if you handle them with patience. I found a dagger to be particularly effective against them.

Coldsnap

Snuggler said:
The only serious threat to your health will be the Chthulu/Squid Face Guards. They can stun you and one hit kill you.
Do you have the thieves ring? If so, be sure to use it because it's a huge help against those guys. Try to keep your distance or hid in a cell and wait for them to turn their back. When they're turned around, you should have time to run in for a backstab or enough slashes to kill him before he can attack you. Ranged attacks work pretty well, too.

They're intimidating and can wreck you if you mess up, but they're not that bad if you handle them with patience. I found a dagger to be particularly effective against them.

Thanks! Wow i didn't know there was a special animation for back stabs. My Blessed Mace destroys them if I get a back stab. These enemies are cool, love the chthulu heads and D&D inspiration.

Canova

Banned
Coldsnap said:
Thanks! Wow i didn't know there was a special animation for back stabs. My Blessed Mace destroys them if I get a back stab. These enemies are cool, love the chthulu heads and D&D inspiration.

yeah they're pretty cool as long as they don't suck your brain out

Coldsnap

Oh shit, I'm in trouble. After beating the boss from 3-1, which was super intense because I have so many souls I do not want to loose, I take a few steps forward and some daemons with wings fly me up top and drop me there. I just want to go back to the nexus. I'm standing where they dropped me, wtf.... where do I go?

Firehead

Coldsnap said:
Oh shit, I'm in trouble. After beating the boss from 3-1, which was super intense because I have so many souls I do not want to loose, I take a few steps forward and some daemons with wings fly me up top and drop me there. I just want to go back to the nexus. I'm standing where they dropped me, wtf.... where do I go?
Continue up (CAREFULLY) and you'll find an archstone.
Edit: Spoiler tags, just in case.

duckroll

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Alright everyone to celebrate OT2 migration I would like to take the time to streamline information and provide us with a new design. Mods, is this something I could coordinate with you? duckroll specifically if I update will you be able to update first post?

I love this thread.

Sure. PM me the details and I'll update.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im playing as a knight (Level 90) and im in the last level, any advices?

LiK

Currently in NG++. Too damn easy now when it comes to killing enemies. But trying to grind upgrade stones and the infamous Pure Bladestone has been a pain in the ASS.

Fersis said:

What last level? You realize the game isn't linear right? :p

Unless you mean the LAST last leve, in which case, the only way you will loose that is if you don't have thumbs.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Metalmurphy said:
What last level? You realize the game isn't linear right? :p

Unless you mean the LAST last leve, in which case, the only way you will loose that is if you don't have thumbs.
Talkin' about Boletaria 1 - 4 or something like that.

LiK

Fersis said:
Talkin' about Boletaria 1 - 4 or something like that.

Hope you have high endurance so you can dodge quickly and have plenty of stamina. The final boss of 1-4 was pretty damn tough during my original playthrough. One of the hardest bosses in the game, imo.

You might also want to bring 200 heavy arrows with you for a certain beast.

Einbroch

Banned
Read Demon's Souls, then saw the 2. Got really excited.

Then saw "|OT". Got bummed. :(

This thread reminded me that I need to fire this game up again, though.

LiK said:
Hope you have high endurance so you can dodge quickly and have plenty of stamina. The final boss of 1-4 was pretty damn tough during my original playthrough. One of the hardest bosses in the game, imo.

You might also want to bring 200 arrows with you for a certain beast.

God no :p One of the easiests.

Dodge attack, Dodge attack, Dodge attack. Occasionally run a bit away so ur not hit by the AoE.

LiK

Metalmurphy said:

Dodge attack, Dodge attack, Dodge attack. Occasionally run a bit away so ur not hit by the AoE.

Well, my guy only took off lil bits of damage too so it took a long time. He was the only boss that took me more than 2 retries in my first playthru.

LiK said:
Well, my guy only took off lil bits of damage too so it took a long time. He was the only boss that took me more than 2 retries in my first playthru.

I think I only died once on him on all my runs till NG++++.

Because of the AoE, I was facing the wrong way and didn't have enough room to run away, instead of running past him I went back and hit the wall :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Metalmurphy said:

As someone who's played through Demons Souls 4 times now, I have to strongly disagree. He's the only boss that I really struggle with, I don't even have that much trouble with the Maneaters and Flamelurker is a puss in comparison. I know his patterns but he's so fast and does so much damage that he's always a huge challenge for me.

Snuggler said:
As someone who's played through Demons Souls 4 times now, I have to strongly disagree. He's the only boss that I really struggle with, I don't even have that much trouble with the Maneaters and Flamelurker is a puss in comparison. I know his patterns but he's so fast and does so much damage that he's always a huge challenge for me.

If you dodge while running towards him none of his attacks hit and you end up in his back. It's so easy.

Prine

Banned
I've yet to pick this up, GAF was right about yakuza 3, so when im done with that Demon Souls is the next game im going to lose myself in. i was initially put off by how dull it looks, but the overwhelming love its recie ing has made me question my disatisfaction. Another reason publishers should thank GAF, for pulling in otherwise already decided gamers.

Canova

Banned
wow, I can't believe that online is still very much alive. Playing in EU server, level 115, I got invaded twice and co-oped another 2 times in level 1-4

I'm a bit rusty, both times the invaders killed me

oracrest

It wasn't until playing through this second time that I noticed the ENTIRE CITY down below you :D

b8eeeefd.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
^ Nice shot. If you jump down you will find hidden treasure!

...but be sure to bring A LOT of souls because there is a vendor down there selling some rare items.

LiK

oracrest said:
It wasn't until playing through this second time that I noticed the ENTIRE CITY down below you :D

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/b8eeeefd.jpg[/QUOTE]

never even noticed that. pretty darn cool.

Stike

Snuggler said:
^ Nice shot. If you jump down you will find hidden treasure!

...but be sure to bring A LOT of souls because there is a vendor down there selling some rare items.
I lol'd ;)

Also, cant wait to finally beat the shit out of that game. Got to practice more.

After beating 1-1 and making a round through 2-1 (reaching the smith) (without dying!!) I am kinda afraid of what lies ahead, especially the next boss...

BTW I am playing a thief, pretty much melee only aside a few arrows here and there.

Man

I have been thinking about how this game could play with Move controls.

I believe you should be able to steer the shield. You hold L2 like usual but you defend in the direction of the move.

Combat should be on/off with a click of the Move button. Else wise you would just run around with the sword like it was an erection all the time or at an weird angle.
When combat is on you just need to swing 1:1 to hit exposed areas.
Trigger button can be sword parry.

Magic should be flicks with the Move. Pointer functionality for bows.

Nothing more needed.

roxya

Fersis said:

The boss telegraphs all of his attacks. May take you a little while to learn them, but spotting and evading his attacks is key to winning.

Coldsnap

OHHH SHIT.

I accidently used a Colorless Demon's Soul but I shot out of my couch and hit the power button, I load back up in the same place but with my soul. WHEW

Now need to decide if I should use this on shield of the moonlight sword later.

Coldsnap said:
OHHH SHIT.

I accidently used a Colorless Demon's Soul but I shot out of my couch and hit the power button, I load back up in the same place but with my soul. WHEW

Now need to decide if I should use this on shield of the moonlight sword later.

That is one good way to get your save game corrupted.

oracrest

canova said:
hmm interesting, what level is that?

Yeah, it is in 1-2. in the hallways underneath the dragon run, near the dogs and merchant :) when I lure the dogs back to it, at least one always falls out of that hole.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Anyone still have the Asian version? I really want to get some co-op in. What great times those were.

I'm currently miles away from my console, but would like to take you up on your offer when I get back. Not so sure about my sl, I think it is around 150-160.

Xanathus was the only GAFfer I played with. I'm down for some red/blue/black action.

Neiteio

You can have multiple files on this game, right? I just ordered it for my brother's birthday and I want to make sure we'll both be able to start characters. :)

LiK

Neiteio said:
You can have multiple files on this game, right? I just ordered it for my brother's birthday and I want to make sure we'll both be able to start characters. :)

yes indeed!

Coldsnap said:
It's not like I removed my memory card while loading or anything ;)

Erm... you turned off a console with a game that is constantly saving your game to the HDD.

It's just as bad, if not worst (seing as "loading" from memory card won't corrupt it)

I borrowed this from a friend of mine and it surprised me quite a bit. I died a few times in 1-1 and yet I always came back to it. However 3-1 really upset me, I kept falling down the damn tower! Overall I was really impressed and I might buy the game once I clear my short backlog!

LiK

I suggest quitting the game from the menu to ensure it saves before you turn off your system. You can also make sure it saves by entering and exiting the equipment menu. I just quit out from menu from habit. Don't wanna lose anything. ^^

Guevara

What's a good upgrade path for a Royal? So far I've been spamming Soul Arrow and upgrading my Rapier a few times, but most of my souls go into increasing my SL. Should I be looking for new spells?

LiK

Guevara said:
What's a good upgrade path for a Royal? So far I've been spamming Soul Arrow and upgrading my Rapier a few times, but most of my souls go into increasing my SL. Should I be looking for new spells?
I ended up going full melée/archer. I found myself using less and less magic. I already invested so much time with my Royal that I didn't feel like changing characters. I also have higher Faith than Magic power.

Top Bottom