• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario World |OT| Did you ever see a dinosaur fly?

RagnarokX

Super Mario World as in Yoshi murder simulator?

Yoshi_falling_by_SilentKV.jpg

U6qJcdg.png

Best World 8 of the 2D Marios. Giant neon sign over Bowser's castle. Also, the music.

Valley of Bowser 2 ensures that it can never be the best World 8 and who thought that putting the secret exit towards the end was a good idea?
Valley of Bowser 3 is a nice redeemer though.

So who else just always takes the wire fence and thwomp/spike pillar rooms for Bowser's Castle? no one say the back door!

Skyzard

Banned
What's the difference between NSMB and SMW again? It's going to be the same engine, same style and mechanics? Surely not... Still looking forward to it a lot if not, it's been too long.

--nvm I thought there was a new one :S

Banned
Best 2D Mario game of all time.

Also, I see dinosaurs fly whenever I watch my Toronto Raptors dunk :p

Shame NSMB castle themes weren't nearly as good. I mean they were all right, but not even close to this and how engaging it is.

It doesn't help that the opening organ in the NSMB castles sounds plinky plonky like a child's toy instrument, those samples were not so hot, but the melody did at least sort of rip off the SMW castle theme.

this is my favorite mario game of all time. my best friend and i would 2P this all day and never get bored of it. 10/10 for me, this game is just an absolute masterpiece.

Kokonoe

Banned
It doesn't help that the opening organ in the NSMB castles sounds plinky plonky like a child's toy instrument, those samples were not so hot, but the melody did at least sort of rip off the SMW castle theme.

For me personally, I do like the NSMB dungeon themes (the DS one more than the others), but I always felt like they were trying to make 'good music' instead of what's good for the game I guess you could say.

zroid

Banned
I find NSMBU somewhat more difficult than SMW, except perhaps for Special Zone. But it may just be because I've played SMW so many damn times over the last 20 years. Haven't recently, though. Before now, that is.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think the hardest level in SMW for me is that one particular castle where there a lot of large spike poles you have to time your jumps into. Oh, and I despise those bullet bills in any Mario game.

Andrew.

Banned
SNES--Retro%20Mario%20World%20Super%20Mario%20Bros_Dec30%2018_17_54.png

Anyone else ever pick up the purple blocks too fast so they fall right down the hole they accidentally created?

For me personally, I do like the NSMB dungeon themes (the DS one more than the others), but I always felt like they were trying to make 'good music' instead of what's good for the game I guess you could say.
I think both Castle themes fit the New series but I guess there's a tone in them that reminds me more of the SM64 Bowser stages in particular.

Stepping into the difficulty debate for a second,I think NSMBU has tougher platforming on display than SMW but the extra hit allowed when powered up as well as the wall jump being able to bail you out of certain pits does help mitigate the overall difficulty quite a lot.

Now if they were using this rendition then it may not quite fit the aesthetics but i'd sure as hell prefer it.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Man... When I figured this out as a kid/teen(no idea when I finally got past that hard 2nd level). I really was like "OMG!"

Tubular.

I'll never forget my first time. ^_^

SMW is one of my top ten games of the forever. I have to do a full playthrough at least once a year.

I actually played SMW for the first time as Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World for the GBA.

Needless to say, it's probably one of my most treasured portable gaming experiences. (Also the only worthwhile GBA cart I still own lol)

If Nintendo re-releases SMW on 3DS, it should be the SMA version, IMO.

Linkhero1

If you have have no life, yes.

:eek:p

But seriously, depends more on what you define as "finished".
I've completed the game in a little under an hour and a half. :p

I've played it so many times that it's not challenging anymore and I do it for nostalgic pleasure :)

Spare me the hyperbole, New Super Mario bros. U doesn't sound bad at all. Now Yoshi's Island DS on the other hand....

So much wrong with that theme, on one hand you had the way Yoshi's Island DS stuck rigidly to that one central theme which wasn't too great to begin with and it really doesn't mesh well with the castle setting.
Then it's lacking any sense of ominous feel to it like the original YI Castle theme had, maybe it was going more for of a Baby Bowser's Lullaby angle but it doesn't come close to that either. The lack of much backing leads the whole thing to come off even more drab and bare, the more I think about it the more it upsets me.

I should point out, I don't dislike the NSMBU soundtrack that much, I just find that the samples are kind of bleh, that and reusing certain themes for the third time was too much especially when the new overworld theme was pretty damn good.

Muffdraul

SMW is the reason I'm a gamer today. Grew up gaming in the 70s and early 80s. Dropped out when I hit puberty. After finishing college I ended up buying an SNES, which had just hit the market, as part of a scheme to establish credit. I bought a copy of F-Zero with it, because it looked pretty impressive in the commercials. ("Holy shit, games have come a long way since I stopped playing them, this looks so advanced...") And if that was the only new game I played, I probably would have put the SNES back in its box and shoved it in the closet, or sold it or given it to a friend or whatever. But it came with a copy of Super Mario World, and I figured I might as well play it for at least a few minutes before disconnecting the thing from the TV. And that was that. I've been a born again gamer ever since.

MYE

Yea the aiming system wasn't the best, not sure how they could have fixed it without completely changing it to something else. Making it faster would make it frustrating and making it slower would just make it worse. I loathe the controls for the 3D Mario games, you have a terrible controller for SM64 and SMG, I don't understand how people can play those games when you can only run in 8 directions because of the little corners around the analog sticks.

You have terrible opinions, sir. Terrible!

As far as difficulty goes I'd say SMBU and SMW are probably pretty close, those it's hard to judge since i"ve played SMW so many times. But both of them are much more difficult than NSMB1+2. I don't know why they dumbed them down for the (3)DS so much but those games are straight easy.

Linkhero1

What? One sitting? Maybe just the main path, not all the extras.

The star road and everything too. I have to say, I don't think I've ever sacrificed as many Yoshi lives as I have in that game. It was my first ever game so I played it to death. Probably why it's so easy for me to do that :p

DJ_Lae

SNES--Retro%20Mario%20World%20Super%20Mario%20Bros_Dec30%2018_17_54.png

Anyone else ever pick up the purple blocks too fast so they fall right down the hole they accidentally created?

Yup.

I blame one of my controllers, which had a spotty Y button. If you didn't hold it down with a ton of force it would simply register once and then release, causing Mario to snatch up a bunch of blocks in a row and then plummet to his death.

Top Bottom