• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to clarify if once the Vita is out can we start downloading Vita titles and Vita versions of PSP games via our PS3s? I only own a Mac, so at this point I can't manage purchases on my Computer.

Yes, I think you can, it is what I'm doing.

Finally got some good hands on time w/ the Vita tonight.

Went to a Superbowl party, and one of my friends roommates imported the Vita. He had Uncharted and Wipeout. Uncharted looked great, a lot better than the demo I played at Gamestop. It is sub-res, but in motion, it looks great. Wipeout was even better, so I'm getting that launch day for sure.

Which brings me to my next decision. After getting some thorough hands on time, my want for this machine has hit an all time high. I just fixed a buddys PC, so he gave me $50 cash. So now I'm torn on applying that $50, and getting the FEB bundle. I just found out that I'll be heading out of town for work the 16th and coming back the 18th, so this would be perfect for my flight there and for my downtime at the hotel.

Good for you bro! Enjoy it all and welcome to the master race :D

KalBalboa

Banned
I pre-ordered today at the local Vita Hill Club.

For $299 I got the entire "firstsies" packages, plus an extra $10 PSN card they were giving out with pre-orders. So, all in all, I get a free game, $10 PSN money, the free month of 3G, and a 3G/Wifi Vita for $299.

Not bad.

Oh, and I came in 2nd place in a Wipeout tournament, which won me a $25 PSN card. These cards will come in handy in a few weeks.

Ran rp

Posting here for initial color and game-related theme requests.

6809032003_2ef32027ca_b.jpg

6809031779_03f85af4c5_b.jpg

So sleek! How about a Dreamcast one?

Will have more come launch...though Archnemesis do you have space to add themes for early adopters to that obscene OP?

Maybe you could start a PSV theme thread and have Archnemesis link to it.

- J - D -

Finally got some good hands on time w/ the Vita tonight.

Went to a Superbowl party, and one of my friends roommates imported the Vita. He had Uncharted and Wipeout. Uncharted looked great, a lot better than the demo I played at Gamestop. It is sub-res, but in motion, it looks great. Wipeout was even better, so I'm getting that launch day for sure.

Which brings me to my next decision. After getting some thorough hands on time, my want for this machine has hit an all time high. I just fixed a buddys PC, so he gave me $50 cash. So now I'm torn on applying that $50, and getting the FEB bundle. I just found out that I'll be heading out of town for work the 16th and coming back the 18th, so this would be perfect for my flight there and for my downtime at the hotel.

Do it. Just don't buy the
32gb memory card.

Yea but the problem is you'd have to use USB and I think one Japanese owner did say that you have to turn off the Vita for it to charge through USB or something. I'd say wait for the official one.

The USB cable connects directly to the power brick to charge it. It's true that it won't charge through USB off of a laptop or something like that, but I don't see why something like he linked wouldn't work.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Looks like its just missing one word.
"digital" in front of PSP.

Sure. I suppose no one will gripe if the next XBox drops BC for XBox 1 games... unless you bought then through Games on Demand.

Enjoy, folks. Just hope Sony can keep track of that purchase history for you for at least as long as you want access to them. For my PSP collection, Vita is not backwards compatible.

cyborg009

Banned
A Persona 4 remake is out soon in Japan, hopefully it will be out in the EU/US by Q4.

Speaking of Persona, I was thinking of picking up P3P on the psn, has anyone any idea how 2d menus, character art etc. scale up on the Vita?

I can't find the picture but it does look good but I believe it was suggest to turn off binlinear filtering

Carl

Whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyy? =/ People are more likely going to buy a device to get that sort feature instead of buying multiple copies.

Presumably because it's not a simple port. They've been working on it for a while. They're an indie dev consisting of, i believe 6(!) people. I doubt they can afford to give it away for free.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Nah i meant the Official Sony one which doesn't have a release date yet

AknxblwCAAADFw0.jpg

Is that the same as this one?

vitashotsdsc0077mat600.jpg

Was taken from Engadgets Review and was wondering if this meant that the Vita shipped with a USB cable that plugs into the charger or is the charger a standalone one like on the PSP?

I don't want to buy a USB cable and find it comes with one.

BFIB

I'll be seeing how much my EB games wil give me for amy 3DS and games tomorrow.

I believe they have a trade in deal that will net you $25 more if you trade in a 3DS towards a Vita. Maybe someone can confirm that.

Gav47

Yea but the problem is you'd have to use USB and I think one Japanese owner did say that you have to turn off the Vita for it to charge through USB or something. I'd say wait for the official one.

Sucks if true, I might be a case that the Vita need more current that the USB can supply normally (like the iPad 2). Some motherboard manufacturers offer apps for higher powered USB slots, might be handy.

You could use your phone charger either, the one that came with mine is rated for 5V 1A so I hope it will work fine otherwise I'll be running out for a German travel adapter.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Do it. Just don't buy the
32gb memory card.

seriously stfu dude; we get it you, don't like the 32GB memory card but do you have to bring it up every damn post? it's becoming really irritating, you might not think it's a good deal but it actually is

4GB: $5 per GB
8GB: $3.75 per GB
16GB: $3.75 per GB
32GB: $3.125 per GB

in the ~4 years I've been on GAF you are now the very first person I've ever put on my ignore list

Is that the same as this one?

vitashotsdsc0077mat600.jpg

Was taken from Engadgets Review and was wondering if this meant that the Vita shipped with a USB cable that plugs into the charger or is the charger a standalone one like on the PSP?

I don't want to buy a USB cable and find it comes with one.

the one in your pic is just the ac adapter, the other one is a portable charge

- J - D -

in the ~4 years I've been on GAF you are now the very first person I've ever put on my ignore list

I'm kind of honored, in a way. First time I've been put on ignore.

Okay okay, I've had my fun, I'm done. I already knew the 32gb was the best 'value' of the whole lot of lemons.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Excellent, thanks guys, that's just saved me $20NZD as I was going to buy a USB cable.

Cookie18

I think I've finally decided on my launch day (22nd) purchases.

WiFi Vita
8GB card
Virtua Tennis - Amazon bundle, pre-ordered
Fifa - Deposit paid
Uncharted - Deposit paid
Case, probably the Thrustmaster one

Day one - £333 ($526) I just noticed the total price in pounds and I like that number lol.

Shinobido or Wipeout may be week 1 purchases depending on reviews.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Perhaps GameStop should partner with someone to make and sell one.

No, Gamestop will just continue to screw developers and publishers by selling used Vita software for $5 off the new price, while Sony overcompensates and sells you PSP games for $30-$40 forever as if software prices shouldn't depreciate over time.

I'm sorry but the "used software hurts the industry" concern officially does not apply to the hardware and software generations left behind.

Therefore, I actually wish Gamestop would partner with someone and make one.

Mine lineup is:

Non-3G Vita
32GB card
Case, haven't decided on which one yet.
Lumines, Rayman Origins as downloads.

I've got my eye on Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 but I'd like to read some feedback on it first.

Purexed

Banned
Can't wait till the US store opens. I have like 10 PSP classics waiting to be synced over. That along with my 2048 and VT4 combo will have me good through Fall of this year.

Pretty excited for this launch. I am SO ready for a new Hot Shots Golf and Stardust! They kind of seem like lame games to buy a system for, but i don't care. Also going to pick up Wipeout, really enjoyed Pure/Pulse/HD.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I'm kind of honored, in a way. First time I've been put on ignore.

Okay okay, I've had my fun, I'm done. I already knew the 32gb was the best 'value' of the whole lot of lemons.

alright you earned your way off my ignore list (checked your post from Chrome where I wasn't logged in)

sorry about lashing out like that, in between the Giants winning the Super Bowl and checking the thread on my phone to see you continuously pretty much saying people like me planning on getting the 32GB stick and First Edition bundle were suckers becoming really grating on my nerves

M.W.

Man, I still can't decide if I should get the 3G version. I really don't think I would use 3G at all. But down the line...maybe? Argh

graywolf323

Gold Member
Yes, and that includes the promo that gives you an additional $25 when you trade your 3DS towards a Vita. According to their website, tomorrow seems to be the last day of the promo.

if only your 3DS virtual games were tied to your account and not the system...

stupid Nintendo

Preorder at Amazon for:

Wifi, Hot Shots, 32 Gig.

I have money on my PSN account from Xmas gifts that will net me Uncharted, Lumines, and Stardust.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Pretty excited for this launch. I am SO ready for a new Hot Shots Golf and Stardust! They kind of seem like lame games to buy a system for, but i don't care. Also going to pick up Wipeout, really enjoyed Pure/Pulse/HD.

I'm grabbing Katamari and Hot Shots as my launch games, so I'm right there with you. I've also got Phantasy Star Portable 2 downloaded to my PS3 ready to transfer, so my life will be pretty complete waiting for Amazon deals and trade ins and GameStop.

Still curious on how easy/hard it is to switch out memory cards.

Tobor

Probably depends on the terms if someone can make one without their help. When Sony Japan asked for accessory suggestion, a UMD drive came out on top.

Gamestop isn't in Japan, and in the US a UMD drive add-on would go over like a wet fart.

The Vita has potential problems, but UMD BC isn't one of them.

- J - D -

alright you earned your way off my ignore list (checked your post from Chrome where I wasn't logged in)

sorry about lashing out like that, in between the Giants winning the Super Bowl and checking the thread on my phone to see you continuously pretty much saying people like me planning on getting the 32GB stick and First Edition bundle were suckers becoming really grating on my nerves

It's all good. I have a
First Edition bundle
pre-ordered on Amazon. Don't tell anyone.

patsu

No, Gamestop will just continue to screw developers and publishers by selling used Vita software for $5 off the new price, while Sony overcompensates and sells you PSP games for $30-$40 forever as if software prices shouldn't depreciate over time.

I'm sorry but the "used software hurts the industry" concern officially does not apply to the hardware and software generations left behind.

Therefore, I actually wish Gamestop would partner with someone and make one.

Ha ha, just stand at one side and watch how things pan out if you don't want to partake in the exercise. It's driven by market forces in the end.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Current lineup:

-FEB
-8GB Memory Card
-Rayman Origins
-Wipeout 2048

Will get:

-Dynasty Warriors Next
-Gravity Daze

On the fence about:

-Uncharted
-every other game I didn't post

yencid

Can someone dig up the vita stream where they spent a lot of time on The OS? i remember they did a color comparison between the vita and the psp playing the intro for peace walker.

Captain N

Mine lineup is:

Non-3G Vita
32GB card
Case, haven't decided on which one yet.
Lumines, Rayman Origins as downloads.

I've got my eye on Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 but I'd like to read some feedback on it first.

I've heard great things about Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. I've been looking forward to it ever since seeing the first trailer for this bad boy.

Man, I still can't decide if I should get the 3G version. I really don't think I would use 3G at all. But down the line...maybe? Argh

it really comes down to if you'll be using the 3G or not and who knows what game(s) will make use of the GPS.

Just had extensive time with the Gravity Daze and Uncharted demo. Whoa, just feeling the thing in person is amazing. The screen is definitely iPhone 4s/Galaxy Nexus quality, and the sticks while a bit awkward at first were definitely the best addition. Everyone has seen the OS at this point on youtube; those videos don't do it justice though. The OS is very smooth, and Sony should put it on some of their cellphones just to test consumer response to it because it is amazing. The OS is actually "fun" to use. iOS and Android to me the OS is user friendly but the charm isn't really there like the Vita, and I wouldn't be surprise if it was on a phone that it catches the attention of the general public. I liked it more than Windows Phone at least. Uncharted looks amazing on the screen too, and those Youtube videos and any screenshots doesn't do the game justice at all.

My feeling about the console experience not being for the general audience still stands, but most of GAF and especially myself will probably love the damn thing. I want Sony to really succeed with this device, I just wonder if the demographic for this type of device is really big enough for Sony.

Current lineup:

On the fence about:

-Uncharted

I'm also on the fence with this one. I'm a huge uncharted fan, but the $50 price tag really turns me off. I think ill snatch it up at first price drop. Hell, I think I'd even grab it in some kind of a full price + gift card deal.

Agent X

Right now, I've got the Wi-Fi-only version of the system preordered, as well as Wipeout 2048. I'll probably go for a 16 MB card to start. I plan on adding Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and will probably grab a few PSN downloadable games as well.

Wazzim

Banned
Right now, I've got the Wi-Fi-only version of the system preordered, as well as Wipeout 2048. I'll probably go for a 16 MB card to start. I plan on adding Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and will probably grab a few PSN downloadable games as well.

16mb is really small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom