• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

External HDD for Xbox One improves load times!

def sim

makes Xbox One look even more expensive with a slow internal hard drive.

Its internal HDD is no better or worse than the one found in the PS4. The Microsoft published games load incredibly slow for whatever reason and see the most benefit from external drives.

def sim

PS4 is cheaper, my point.

For a Console that is built for Media/Digital downloading you would think the internal Hard drive would be somewhere they wouldn't skimp.

Other than putting in a fast 3.5" HDD that would have most likely increased the size of the console or adding an SSD that would have made it more expensive, there's not much they could have done in that front. Using a laptop drive makes more sense. Your point about the price doesn't work because it ignores the camera they were trying to push on to their customers.

MauroNL

So I did some more tests with my Seagate 2TB USB 3.0 7200 RPM on my Xbox One today and here are the results:

Dead Rising 3

Loading to start screen
Internal: 53.8 seconds
External: 42.2 seconds

Loading my savegame
Internal: 51.9 seconds
External: 34.8 seconds

Foza Motorsport 5

Loading to Press A screen
Internal: 30.1 seconds
External: 28.4 seconds

Loading main menu
Internal: 21.0 seconds
External: 13.3 seconds

Loading race Prague Full with 16 AI cars
Internal: 52.2 seconds
External: 38.5 seconds

Thief

Loading to start screen
Internal: 46.6 seconds
External 44.1 seconds

Loading savegame
Internal: 33.1 seconds
External: 27.1 seconds

So I guess you can say an external drive saves at least a few seconds in any regard, but it seems to benefit the most from loading savegames or just loading stuff to play in general. Some real time saving in Forza and Dead Rising with the external drive. Did notice I can't move my FIFA 14 to an external drive and read somewhere you can't move Skylanders either so I guess there are some restrictions in place for some games.

McSpidey

These loading times remind me of having a dedicated gaming HDD on windows so all the tiny regular general OS drive seeks (for even things like log files writes) don't interfere with game loading at all. I wonder if that's the case here too.

As a PS4 and Xbox owner, I wouldn't be jealous of the Xbox one install and load times at all. And you can already upgrade your internal drive.

Yes, but if you upgrade your PS4 HD you will lose the space you are replacing. With external HDD support, we are "adding" apce, not "replacing" space.

mike4001_

I can't move my FIFA 14 to an external drive and read somewhere you can't move Skylanders either so I guess there are some restrictions in place for some games.

No restrictions => Just bugs in the current Beta-OS ;)

Should be resolved until the final release.

Respawn

Banned
Surprised this type of information is taking so long to appear.

None of the big sites seem to have benched external SSD/HDD for the Xbox yet :S

You don't need an inside lane to have guessed this. Not all drives/interfaces are created equal. It's not even a surprise, let alone some technical feat to question.
What the hell is the bottleneck with a drive with direct connect to the system bus? I mean yes a beefed up exteranl drive can have pluses. Hey wait a minute is this over usb or esata? Sorry I donot own an X-1.

rjcc

PS4 is cheaper, my point.

For a Console that is built for Media/Digital downloading you would think the internal Hard drive would be somewhere they wouldn't skimp.

if you don't know anything about mass producing electronics maybe you'd think that. of the options available -- speed/reliability/price/size

they clearly picked reliability/price, waffled on size and speed. which is what every manufacturer does.

Yes, but if you upgrade your PS4 HD you will lose the space you are replacing. With external HDD support, we are "adding" apce, not "replacing" space.

For now. Internal is a better means of speeding up load/write times though. Glad the X1 is seeing some savings on externals, but it's not the same as internal.

I figure I saved about 3 hours just in load times on AC4 from setting up an SSHD drive when I got my PS4.

Some people don't care but over the life of a console i'll happily pay the extra to save a couple hundred hours.

ethomaz

Banned
Great... a fast external HDD upgrade will be norm after June.

But it is just me or these times posted here are incredible high... 40s, 1m10s, WTF.

makes Xbox One look even more expensive with a slow internal hard drive.

1323.gif

For now. Internal is a better means of speeding up load/write times though. Glad the X1 is seeing some savings on externals, but it's not the same as internal.

Proof? What I've read is not so different than XBO, unless you upgrade to SSD, but you have writing limits, and dat price...

Chettlar

Banned
Who the hell would pay those prices to use a flash drive?

What? Who cares that it's a flash drive. It's flipping 256 gigs that you can carry in your pocket. An external SSD would cost far more than that for the same space.

The only reason I would think that that is a lot for a flash drive is if it was a normal flash drive. You know, like 32GB or whatever is the average. That would be ridiculous. But this is 256. That is a lot of space. Lots of space takes lots of money. That's actually a very fair price, especially considering you can put this in your pocket, and it's far more convenient than an external SSD, SSHD, or HDD of the same price.

Proof? What I've read is not so different than XBO, unless you upgrade to SSD, but you have writing limits, and dat price...

It depends on the external drive but this is an easy test. I have a seagate 3 tb external and a 3 tb internal, both at 5400 RPM with 32 mb cache (on my PC as extra drives). The read times are faster on the internal vs the external by a decent margin and the write times are much much slower on external vs internal.

You could have a 7200 RPM external (or even just a 5400 RPM with a bigger cache) and see better results than a base 5400 RPM internal.

Hell you can just do a cursory glance over the times in the PS4 video tests... here's one (stock vs SSD vs SSHD):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGjSJwlHK6M

Break-down:

Boot:
Stock: 25 seconds
SSHD: 23 seconds
SSD: 19 seconds

Game Launch (Knack):
Stock: 40 seconds
SSHD: 34 seconds
SSD: 34 seconds

Digital Game Load Save (Killzone):
Stock: 61 seconds
SSHD: 42 seconds
SSD: 39 seconds

In regards to the X1 externals people testing reporting the speed enhancements may be on 7200 external drives ... there's a few external SSDs out now but they're really expensive.

Chettlar

Banned
You're telling me that there are load times of over a minute in Ryse?

Edit: And Killzone?

I had no idea 'next gen' load times could be that bad.

Yeah. I thought load times were supposed to be a lot shorter, not twice as long!

I thought I remember xboxps2 gen to PS360 gen having much shorter load times comparatively.

MaulerX

I figure I saved about 3 hours just in load times on AC4 from setting up an SSHD drive when I got my PS4.

Some people don't care but over the life of a console i'll happily pay the extra to save a couple hundred hours.

How is internal better/faster? You can literally use any drive as external USB 3.0 with an enclosure.

EdgeXL

Can somebody tell me what the bottleneck on XBox One and PS4 is? The hard drive or the SATA II connection? I'm a bit confused here and trying to learn.

Bsigg12

Can somebody tell me what the bottleneck on XBox One and PS4 is? The hard drive or the SATA II connection? I'm a bit confused here and trying to learn.

The cheap 5400 rpm 2.5 inch Samsung laptop drive they use for the internal in the Xbox One is an issue. However, it is constantly recording gameplay which sort of makes things a bit more complicated. Having an external that is strictly for game and app storage (no game saves or DVR qualities for the external) allows the system to have access to the drive without being tied down to recording at all times on that drive as well.

At least that's what I have learned. There isn't actually a bottleneck as saturating SATA II would take some serious speed, it's more of how they're prioritizing read/write on the internal drive.

As for the PS4, it just benefits from having a faster and better drive for the internal. The stock one is cheap to minimize cost. By putting in a better drive like a SSHD, the system can do everything it needs to do, just faster.

Lima

Yeah. I thought load times were supposed to be a lot shorter, not twice as long!

I thought I remember xboxps2 gen to PS360 gen having much shorter load times comparatively.

That ram ain't gonna fill up itself. Takes some serious time to fill it.

Bladelaw

I'm sure I'm late on this but it's the hard drive that's bottle necking the XBox One's load times.

Mechanical hard drives are not capable of putting out data fast enough to saturate, let alone exceed the speed of SATA II or USB 3.0.

Chettlar

Banned
That ram ain't gonna fill up itself. Takes some serious time to fill it.

Well sure, but RAM sizes increased by a fairly large amount moving from ps2 to ps3. Like 32MB to 256GB + 256GB or something like that. That's a large amount, and yet the ps3 had no trouble having much quicker load times than the ps2. I mean, just remember how long medal of honor took to load. Like three minutes I remember one time for a simple 1 on 1 split screen match. Sure, there are ps3 games that take that long, but I don't remember them being worse.

goonergaz

TBH you'd only want to keep internal space for overflow looking at the load time differences!

This is great to see, hope Sony do it but then I do prefer the internal solution as its neater.

Be interested to see some comparisons of the same games on both platforms now...

JeffG

I'm sure I'm late on this but it's the hard drive that's bottle necking the XBox One's load times.

Mechanical hard drives are not capable of putting out data fast enough to saturate, let alone exceed the speed of SATA II or USB 3.0.

I was just watching Frank Savages xbox one demonstration that was video taped at the game developers conference which happened a month (or so) ago.

In it, he mentioned how slow the drives were. Better to compress everything and get it into memory and uncompress it using cpu cycles vs reading uncompressed data.

USB 3.0 doesn't even bottleneck SSDs.
What? Modern SSDs are bottleneck by SATA III, let alone USB.
Anandtech said:
But there was a problem. SATA 6Gbps still wasn't fast enough to meet the needs of SSD manufacturers as they were already able to saturate it. SATA-IO was given a difficult task: they would have to come up with a new standard with drastically better performance only a few years after the previous strandard had been announced. Not only would it have to be faster, but it also needed to be cost and power efficient. Instead of developing the SATA protocol further, which would have been expensive and time consuming, SATA-IO decided to utilize an existing interface found in every mainstream computer: PCI Express.
63477laq5l.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8006/samsung-ssd-xp941-review-the-pcie-era-is-here

Chettlar

Banned
Because that is the minimum requirement set by Microsoft?

256GB or larger and USB 3.0

Must not have seen that. That's bizarre and unfortunate. That means I can't even use my 240GB SSD (not that I would, since it's in my PC, but still).

Should a 256GB flash drive work? Just curious.

Top Bottom